Subie vs. DSM???
Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on Subie vs. DSM??? within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; So I'm on my way to an '04 STi, (I can't sleep at night anymore, too damn excited) Lately I've ...

Subie vs. DSM???

So I'm on my way to an '04 STi, (I can't sleep at night anymore, too damn excited) Lately I've been really into the Subie crowd, the whole boxer aspect just entices me for some reason.

Meanwhile, my friend is getting a '92 Laser AWD Turbo, and he's absolutely convinced that he's gonna be able to roll with me. Even stock v. stock, he says.

I don't buy his B.S, but maybe after some mods, is it possible?
    To me it seems like he'll have to do ALOT of mods to get the DSM up to where he thinks he can take an STi.

Any opinions so I can get him to shut his trash-taking trap?
    Last edited by DSMKilla; 01-20-2007 at 03:21 PM.
    Quick reply to this message Reply  

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I know a guy that cn run low 12's and high 11's on a stock turbo DSM. They don't need much to compete with an sti.
    Tuned by Jorge at P&L, 240.83whp 239.60wtq at 14.8psi on 2.0L with stock td04 (But doesn't run)

Damnit.
    Not quite the response I was looking for haha, but still a response.

I guess I'll just have to run with him and find out for certain.
    I still hate to admit that some ****ty 14 year old car can take an ...almost brand new one.
    Ugh.
    Hahaha.
    Last edited by DSMKilla; 01-19-2007 at 11:10 AM.

Unless it is a custom job or it has been inported, there are no USDM 2003 STis in America. The USDM STi's first model year is 2004.

Also, it won't take much in terms of mods for the laser to keep up and surpass you, but he may be broken down a lot more often than you are.
    Current Vehicle: 2006 Volvo S60 R Sonic Blue/Atacama
    SOLD:
    2006 Graphite Gray Evo IX
    2004 STi
    2003 SVT Cobra
    2003 SVT Lightning
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffbmx00 View Post
    my friend has a 5.0 too, they are slow, the only way to decently make them fast is to drop a v8 explorer engine in them.

Yup, like everyone has said, the DSM is no joke. It packs the same legendary 4g63 engine that is in the Evolutions. The wiring, however, on the older dsms is crappy and depending on the year, he may be taking his crank for a walk sooner or later.
    -2004 San Remo Red WRX Sedan-
    Blobeye Syndicate #24

"Pain of Discipline or Pain of Regret..take your pick." ~ Notre Dame

Banned
    He'll only be able to hang with you about 1/2 the time. The other 1/2 of the time it will either be on a tow truck or in a garage...

Wakka Wakka!

Stock, a 93 Laser is going to be at least 11-12 mph traps slower than an STi. Statistically, most Lasers are FWD but there are some AWD models out there in 1992-1994 model years so they do exist. FWD DSMs are monsters from a roll with even basic mods. It's harder to get a FWD to a 13.0 than most people think, at least on normal tires.

The "runs 11s on stock turbo" cars do that to prove it can be done. John Shepherd did it a decade ago in his stock-appearing Talon. A car like that is basically a very built car with everything but the turbo upgraded just to say a stocker ran 11s.

A DSM, like any turbo car from the 90s, will need a good bit of maintenance just to get it back to standard operation. You know it's likely been neglected in the suspension, brakes, etc., not to mention the obvious transmission work it's bound to need. If a seller says a grind going into 2nd or 3rd will go away with a fluid change, he's lying!

I've had a stack of DSMs over the years. I bought my first one new in 1992. I don't consider them so unreliable as long as you keep up the maintenance. Of course a car making twice its stock power will eat clutches. If you row the shifter like a boat oar you'll need syncros. You know the 3-bolt rear in 90-91 models is weak so why be surprised when it goes?

If I ever found a clean 92-94 AWD, I'd buy it just to keep. Clean examples are almost non-existent today. People buy 'em cheap, mod just the engine, and dispose of the car when something else goes wrong.
    John M
    2000 Lincoln Continental - slow DD with the DOHC 4.6 and a Superchips tune
    1992 Lexus SC400 - slow resto project
    2005 Legacy GT Limited - SOLD Feb 2011 - Forged internals, FP HTA Green @ 22 psi.

My first car was a 92 GSX when i was 17, with a hacked air filter, MBC, and a 3" open DP i was able to do 12.90s@107-109mph all day long, but then i came home and would be fixing it all week long . They can be very fast with minimal mods, my friends little bro has one with a K&N and MBC pushing 20psi on the 14B turbo running very very low 13s and 104mph trap speeds. But BONE stock vs. BONE stock you will hand him his ass and wont worry about breaking your car. STock they run LOW 15s in the 91mph area.
    Martin Jez
    03 bugeye wagon WRB- Cobb stage 2
    87 GN- lots of toys
    04 pathfinder
    93 G20 SR20DET

CPC
    My friend had one that was a turbocharged AWD model are was it an Eclipse any way it was too fast. Don't know what he did to it but he would beat me bad from a stop or a roll. The only cars that I have raced that beat me like he could was a modded evo and this 300z that the guy claimed was stage 4 or something like that.
    Cobb Stage 1 02 WRX

Just to clarify, I was mistaken.
    It's actually a '92 AWD Turbo.

-Big 16g turbo, oversized stainless steel valves, MBC, JDM cyclone intake manifold no butterflies, 550cc fuel injectors, walbro 255 fuel pump, 3 in. turbo back exhaust.

I'll be rolling stock too.
    (I have a job though, bwahaha)

Uh oh - he's easy low 12s if all of that is done properly. Big 16g plus fuel and the 3in exhaust is all it takes.
    John M
    2000 Lincoln Continental - slow DD with the DOHC 4.6 and a Superchips tune
    1992 Lexus SC400 - slow resto project
    2005 Legacy GT Limited - SOLD Feb 2011 - Forged internals, FP HTA Green @ 22 psi.

Quote Originally Posted by bcyb1029 View Post
    I know a guy that cn run low 12's and high 11's on a stock turbo DSM. They don't need much to compete with an sti.
    14b or t25? . . and 'chitown stock' or actually stock?

Alright, since we obviously won't be going stock v stock, he'll have the jump on me.

...At least I'll look pimp as hell losing.
    ugly ass DSM's....

he forgot to mention the fact im pushin 20 psi
    Gone v8 hunting be back in a few.

on what turbo?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.