how would a WRX go against a Mazda MX5?

This is a discussion on how would a WRX go against a Mazda MX5? within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I drove one of the MX-5 miatas, wow it was so light and felt so fast and powerful. how does ...

how would a WRX go against a Mazda MX5?

I drove one of the MX-5 miatas, wow it was so light and felt so fast and powerful. how does the WRX compare to this car?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    They are lighter and their steering feels more direct. They tend to wear their brakes less too. It's easier to go faster in an Impreza if you're me, but the MX5 is more fun and it feels faster. Since it's a smaller car you can see out of it better and you can get closer to each cone without hitting it easier than in the Impreza. However, you can't get on the throttle as soon at each exit. Their gearing and torque are such that you won't have to downshift as often in the Mazda, and you can pull off in 3rd if you really try, but at an auto-x you may have to use 1st in either car. The Impreza is more difficult to get into 1st on the fly. However, the Impreza is ultimately the quicker car. Note that with its higher torque, higher power, and better traction, you will lose control of the Impreza at a much higher speed than the MX5 if your skills are like mine... This means the Impreza will also make a bigger mess.

User BlkWRXWagon, I believe, has both cars and competes. Maybe he'll chip in; he can actually drive, so you'd be better off listening to him.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    They are lighter and their steering feels more direct. They tend to wear their brakes less too. It's easier to go faster in an Impreza if you're me, but the MX5 is more fun and it feels faster. Since it's a smaller car you can see out of it better and you can get closer to each cone without hitting it easier than in the Impreza. However, you can't get on the throttle as soon at each exit. Their gearing and torque are such that you won't have to downshift as often in the Mazda, and you can pull off in 3rd if you really try, but at an auto-x you may have to use 1st in either car. The Impreza is more difficult to get into 1st on the fly. However, the Impreza is ultimately the quicker car. Note that with its higher torque, higher power, and better traction, you will lose control of the Impreza at a much higher speed than the MX5 if your skills are like mine... This means the Impreza will also make a bigger mess.

User BlkWRXWagon, I believe, has both cars and competes. Maybe he'll chip in; he can actually drive, so you'd be better off listening to him.
    I agree with most of what you say...I think the WRX would have a distinct advantage in a roadcourse environment, but I think the MX5 would have a huge advantage in the Autocross scenario... Autocrossing is less about power and more about chassis and suspension dynamics...which is what the MX5 is all about.

I've been in both cars autocrossing. The MX5's and older miata's are nuts in that situation. It's not apples to apples, I know, but my Mazdaspeed protege was regularly 2 to 3 seconds faster than my WRX competitors in D Stock. That's my FWD vs AWD and being down 57 horsepower...

To put that in perspective, I was 1.5 to 2 seconds slower than the fastest C Stock Miata's...