STI vs stage II WRX
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

This is a discussion on STI vs stage II WRX within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I know this questioned has been bounced around the block as many times as a wheel spins but the search ...

Registered User project_skyline's Avatar

STI vs stage II WRX

I know this questioned has been bounced around the block as many times as a wheel spins but the search function seems to be on the dump. I can never remember so please help me out here.

Im wondering as to the result of a race between a stage 2 02' wrx and a stock STI in a drag oriented style race.

Thank you

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Stage 2 WRX will still most likely lose. It will need at least 230whp to be even with a stock STi which stage 2 will not provide. Even still, with the smaller turbo, it will lose up top.
    Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, start.

Quote Originally Posted by STI-51 View Post
    Stage 2 WRX will still most likely lose. It will need at least 230whp to be even with a stock STi which stage 2 will not provide. Even still, with the smaller turbo, it will lose up top.

I agree and your sig is awesome!!
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #17!
    2006 Crystal Gray Metallic WRX- Stage 2
    Mods: Invidia Turboback (w/ cat and resonator), Kartboy short-throw shifter, Prodrive Lowering Springs, STi Limited Front Lip, Cusco Rear Swaybar (adj.), Greddy Front/Rear Strut bars, 8k H.I.D.'s, and Cobb AP!

Quote Originally Posted by Ret030 View Post
    Thanks, glad I could please!
    Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, start.

stage 2 wrx w/ catless uppipe might be a different outcome, imo.

with more HP the sti should win but i have beat a sti in the past...not by much (one car lenght or so) him and i both drove well... maybe having more gears hurts it just a little in the straight line race
    <<<<<<<< LOOK AT MY NAME!!! lol
    COBB stg II

Quote Originally Posted by lordcon View Post
    stage 2 wrx w/ catless uppipe might be a different outcome, imo.
    The catless uppipe seems to have more effect on spool up characteristics than it does peak output. I wouldn't expect a stage II to do much more than follow the STI a step or two behind.

I've put alot of mods into my car, and I can pull on a stock EVO/STI while in gear however, I am afraid of breaking something in my driveline and because of this I do not launch and simply drive off the line.

If you want something fast, and reliable - consider the vf34. Many people have been running it for a long time. Similar spool compared to stock, and a higher top end. Even so - this is simply putting you into stock EVO/STI territory, with just a few mods to an EVO/STI, they will be running away all over again.

IMO
    Torch Red 2002 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 46k mi.
    Black 2002 Subaru Impreza WRX 6-speed 94k mi. my mod list
    10/08/2006 - 14.089@103.01 (5-speed with well worn clutch, no launch)
    "Six stars gleaming, five speeds breaking, four tires chirping, three differentials working, two liters screaming, one turbo boosting... it's what makes a Subaru all-wheel-drive, all we'll drive."
    for Bugeye owners my BOV thread Service Manuals

what kind of stage 2 wrx, there are those that just have a dp and there are those that have a tbe+up+other stuff but are still stage 2

for example I am stage 2 but have a tbe+up+p&p a lot of intake and exhast components and think that even without a protune I have more than 230 whp
    04 WRX Java Black
    Mustang Dyno 218 awhp 216 awtq
    1978 Honda CB400Tll
    yea you know its modified
    1974 Honda CB750 Bobber
    still in the works

Quote Originally Posted by Ret030 View Post
    Yep that video game RULES!

Also my 2002 that i had with the stage 2 goodies plus a gearset I would beat stock STi's by about 3/4 of a car to 120.
    2003 Platinum Silver Metalic Sedan
    VF-34 Powered
    My Mods
    Quote Originally Posted by Yossarian
    Even if your car was stock, your chances of warranty coverage are about as good as a retarded chimp trying to do a calculus problem while high on pcp.

Its a very close race but like many have said here the advantage goes to the STI, but a very little advantage. Most stock STI's that I have seen run low 13s at 101mph or so in the 1/4 as an average, my Stage 2 05 wrx ran a 13.6@101mph so its very close. I go to the track alot and there is a guy with a stock STI that runs every weekend, his trap speeds were always very close to mine, but his ET was always a few tenths quicker, i guess the STI's launch better or I can't drive as well, his 60-foots were in the 1.7s while mine the 1.8s. His best run was a 13.4@102mph but he usually ran 13.5-13.6@99-100mph. My best run was a 13.6@101mph, but i more usually would run high 13s at 98-99mph. Its an advantage towards the STI but a good driver in a Stage II wrx can beat a average driver in a stock STI, its very close.
    2005 WRX (Short throw shifter, lightweight pulley,STI Splitters,Tein H-Tech springs,Up/Down Pipe, ERZ Catback, Cobb Stage 2, ASA JH8 with Yokohama ES 100s) 13.680@100.46mph

I've raced two stock STi's with my stg2 wrx, one having a CAI and don't know about the other.

First one i raced with the CAI from a dig twice. I would say this guy was a noob, since he just dumps the clutch when he launches, but any ways we both raced twice. First race, I take off first with a good launch as i'm off I can hear his tires squeel. we went from 1st-3rd at the end of 3rd. I put about 1 1/2-2 car lengths on him. Second race, he gets the jump from his launch I play catch up, I started passing him as i shifted from 2nd to 3rd then put like a 1 car length on him going into 4th.

Second STi encounter, Just driving on the HWY going 70mph with the GF and her 2 brothers I see a silver STi serving out of traffic catching up to me. I can see that he has his 2 kids in the back. We both give each other the thumbs up, I didnt think much of it, but he guns it but i was already ready in 3rd. He got the jump from me, but i still was able too reel him. I was even with him as 3rd gear ended but once i got into 4th i started to pull away. The guy was looked like he was in his late 30's early 40's and he also had those driving gloves so i assume he a pretty good driver. You know, the ones that look like bikers wear.

So i would say it is possible for a stg2 wrx to beat a stock STi.
    04 wrx white with one blue door.
    cobb stg 2 and more to love

Quote Originally Posted by project_skyline View Post
    I know this questioned has been bounced around the block as many times as a wheel spins but the search function seems to be on the dump. I can never remember so please help me out here.

Im wondering as to the result of a race between a stage 2 02' wrx and a stock STI in a drag oriented style race.

Thank you

My roommate and I did this a few months ago from a 20 roll to about 80. He has cobb catted DP, AP v1 stg 2, stock CBE, silencer delete, K&N. I had silencer delete and K&N. we both hit and he got about 1 car length out from me. he spools ast about 3000 rpm so he gets his nice 330 ftlbs earlier than me. through second he was ahead, i hit 3rd and pulled my nose ahead of him (big pull) and then 4th it would have gotten uglier. my sti still had better top end. Ill update soon now that Im stg 1.

Registered User project_skyline's Avatar
    Thanks that helps to know the possible outcome, my friend got all pissed when he broke his belt tensioner bolt some how and was smelling gas the other day and decided he wants to sell it, so i might buy it after he gets it fixed.

He had been racing a few STI's who were just bought by some Hispanics and he lost and was all fired up because the owners were trashing them already.

They are all riced out with huge tachs, BOV's, and tons of decals. Its sad....

Quote Originally Posted by STI-51 View Post
    Oh really? When my car was stage 2 it made 250.9 WHP and 313 WTQ. I raced a stock STi about 4 months ago all the way to 5th and I had a constant car on him. I guess it's all in the tuning.
    06 WRX - Deadbolt Zilla 20g 365AWHP//358AWTQ//TopSpeed
    STi Drivetrain installed by CRE
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #54
    My mod list

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Very-Rexy View Post
    Oh really? When my car was stage 2 it made 250.9 WHP and 313 WTQ. I raced a stock STi about 4 months ago all the way to 5th and I had a constant car on him. I guess it's all in the tuning.
    That, and they were talking about 2.0's.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.