STI vs stage II WRX - Page 5
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

This is a discussion on STI vs stage II WRX within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally Posted by Herknav +1 I think it was pretty obvious actually. But then sarcasm on the internet sometimes doesn't ...

Quote Originally Posted by Herknav View Post
    +1

I think it was pretty obvious actually. But then sarcasm on the internet sometimes doesn't translate because it relies so much on the wits of the reader instead of the inflections of the writer...
    no id say that was pretty obvious sarcasm. as a referee for ASC (American Sarcasm Competitions) Id give him 2 points for a short jab of sarcasm, -10 points for the other player not noticing the small possibility of a wrx owner hating STis. Game on.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Blobeye Syndicate #2004
    Military Militia #30-06

2004 WRX - JBP:Stage 2:13.93 @ 96

Wingless alas. Too bad it took a 50 ton truck to make it happen.

Update

well we just came back from a visit with Harvey, tuning my roommate's stage 2 06 wrx LE. he put down 214whp, 238wtq. his initial stg 2 OTS map pull was 201whp, 205ftlbs. This is at 5000 ft. he gained about 14 whp, and 30ish wtq. so if cobb's site, at sea level, says a stg 2 06 has 285hp, 335ftlbs he gained about 60+crank tq and about 28 crank hp. its very very smooth. boost comes on in a flash, as soon as u hit the gas it leaves forward, almost like a NA v8 feels, torquey. we did a pull from about 25mph (my sti is stg 2, AP map) down low he kept up but the top end just isnt there. thats where the car is lacking, it just runs out of air. i honestly thought a protuned 06 would put up more of a fight, but the turbo is jsut too small. i drove it though and i would highly recommend getting a protune. while his power didnt go up huge, the drivability of the car is awesome. the spool is super fat, power everywhere and the smoothness of the power is awesome to have.

sorry for the jack but i was wondering something. i have a 02 wrx wit a catback,gp moto headers with up pipe,mbc set at 14.5 psi,rs bov,street light flywheel, so i was just wondering what i should be pusing after a tune and what stage im currently at. sorry for the newb question

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by ScstealthVR6 View Post
    well we just came back from a visit with Harvey, tuning my roommate's stage 2 06 wrx LE. he put down 214whp, 238wtq. his initial stg 2 OTS map pull was 201whp, 205ftlbs. This is at 5000 ft. he gained about 14 whp, and 30ish wtq. so if cobb's site, at sea level, says a stg 2 06 has 285hp, 335ftlbs he gained about 60+crank tq and about 28 crank hp. its very very smooth. boost comes on in a flash, as soon as u hit the gas it leaves forward, almost like a NA v8 feels, torquey. we did a pull from about 25mph (my sti is stg 2, AP map) down low he kept up but the top end just isnt there. thats where the car is lacking, it just runs out of air. i honestly thought a protuned 06 would put up more of a fight, but the turbo is jsut too small. i drove it though and i would highly recommend getting a protune. while his power didnt go up huge, the drivability of the car is awesome. the spool is super fat, power everywhere and the smoothness of the power is awesome to have.

Psssssst. Stock STi It would put up more of a fight with, but you two are basically at the same mod levels but you have a biggger turbo.
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

06 WRX, HAWKEYE # 001 <T-boned and sold>

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by bboynems View Post
    sorry for the jack but i was wondering something. i have a 02 wrx wit a catback,gp moto headers with up pipe,mbc set at 14.5 psi,rs bov,street light flywheel, so i was just wondering what i should be pusing after a tune and what stage im currently at. sorry for the newb question
    OK word of advise before the flaming starts and you run and hide. Ditch the MBC they make motors go boom. The Rs BOV is very bad for motor makes it go boom. Run and buy some sort of EM today or go get tuned before your car gos boom. You sir are a gambler.
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

Quote Originally Posted by 06wrx4me View Post
    OK word of advise before the flaming starts and you run and hide. Ditch the MBC they make motors go boom. The Rs BOV is very bad for motor makes it go boom. Run and buy some sort of EM today or go get tuned before your car gos boom. You sir are a gambler.
    Touche, Mr. 06wrx4me, touche.
    Quote Originally Posted by GeneralGeeWhiz View Post
    One more of these pointless threads and im going to bash my face into the computer screen.
    There's no replacement for displacement. Except for a fat ass turbo!!!

ok well sorry for the newb question. well i justordered the obd2 cabel and my friend nows how to tune so hopefully i can get the car running better with a tune. but why is the mbc and bov bad for the can not understanding.still new to the car.any help would be great

I Support ClubWRX
    ok well sorry for the newb question. well i justordered the obd2 cabel and my friend nows how to tune so hopefully i can get the car running better with a tune. but why is the mbc and bov bad for the can not understanding.still new to the car.any help would be great
    :wants too tell newb to search badly cant stand it : :deep breath wooosaaaw:

Ok the MBC is bad because you have effectively increased boost without correcting your AF ratios. Stock Wrx EM has a boost taper at the higher rev ranges. By adding a MBC you dont allow the boost to taper and thus lean out the engine. which inevitably=boom. An MBC however can be a useful tool when used by a pro tuner in helping dial in your mapping, as long as you yourself never touch it.

The type RS BOV is a non recirculating BOV thus it vents 100% to atmosphere. On a MAF metered car this is very bad as the car cannot account for the lost air and creates a rich condition. If you must have a BOV buy one that is a hybrid and recirulates at least 50% to counteract this effect.

In effect your car right now is a manic depressive on crack. It is lean at the top end and rich when shifting.
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

ohhh ok well thanks now im gona go put back on the stock bov and take off the mbc ill be running much slower but oh well i can wait for a tune. thanks for the info.

:wants too tell newb to search badly cant stand it : :deep breath wooosaaaw:

Ok the MBC is bad because you have effectively increased boost without correcting your AF ratios. Stock Wrx EM has a boost taper at the higher rev ranges. By adding a MBC you dont allow the boost to taper and thus lean out the engine. which inevitably=boom. An MBC however can be a useful tool when used by a pro tuner in helping dial in your mapping, as long as you yourself never touch it.

The type RS BOV is a non recirculating BOV thus it vents 100% to atmosphere. On a MAF metered car this is very bad as the car cannot account for the lost air and creates a rich condition. If you must have a BOV buy one that is a hybrid and recirulates at least 50% to counteract this effect.

In effect your car right now is a manic depressive on crack. It is lean at the top end and rich when shifting.
    Good explanation.

ohhh ok well thanks now im gona go put back on the stock bov and take off the mbc ill be running much slower but oh well i can wait for a tune. thanks for the info.
    Good choice.
    Blobeye Syndicate #2004
    Military Militia #30-06

2004 WRX - JBP:Stage 2:13.93 @ 96

Wingless alas. Too bad it took a 50 ton truck to make it happen.

I agree with most of this, but it has been proved time and time again on the 2002 wrx's that a MBC can run safely for a very long time as long as you are pushing a reasonable psi. I used one with no problems for nearly 20k miles, Dark_rex used one on his 02 wrx for about 50k miles, and several others have done the same. Granted, real EM is much better, but running a MBC on an 02' (the only year I would advise it) will not blow the motor at only 14.5psi... and in most cases the 2002 wrx will run stronger with a MBC as compared to an OTS EM map.
    Just call me Clark Kent
    ---------------------------------------
    Offical Body Guard for the Bugeye Mafia.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by DTR rex View Post
    I agree with most of this, but it has been proved time and time again on the 2002 wrx's that a MBC can run safely for a very long time as long as you are pushing a reasonable psi. I used one with no problems for nearly 20k miles, Dark_rex used one on his 02 wrx for about 50k miles, and several others have done the same. Granted, real EM is much better, but running a MBC on an 02' (the only year I would advise it) will not blow the motor at only 14.5psi... and in most cases the 2002 wrx will run stronger with a MBC as compared to an OTS EM map.
    Id like to see some data logged A/F Ratios running a MBC (on an 02) with no EM before I was convinced it wasn't detrimental to the engine.

You can run a car that is detonating or running lean for 20-50k miles without blowing it up, my buddy is still doing it. Just don't expect any kind of longevity. Especially if you are going to further stress out the engine with mods and upgrades after it has been detonating for 20k miles.
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

Heres the sheet if anyone was interested. Im just bored.

Id like to see some data logged A/F Ratios running a MBC (on an 02) with no EM before I was convinced it wasn't detrimental to the engine.

You can run a car that is detonating or running lean for 20-50k miles without blowing it up, my buddy is still doing it. Just don't expect any kind of longevity. Especially if you are going to further stress out the engine with mods and upgrades after it has been detonating for 20k miles.
    Once again:

Detrimental to other years. 2002 can safely run a MBC at a conservative psi. EM is still better, but MBC will work and do so reliably.
    Just call me Clark Kent
    ---------------------------------------
    Offical Body Guard for the Bugeye Mafia.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast