STI vs stage II WRX - Page 3
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

This is a discussion on STI vs stage II WRX within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally Posted by elohdaeh78 an awesome driver in a Stage 2 any year wrx will beat your typical driver in ...

Registered User farBeyondDriven's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by elohdaeh78 View Post
    an awesome driver in a Stage 2 any year wrx will beat your typical driver in an STI. Sure i have read that some people broke into the 12s in a stock STI, but if you go to the track often you will see most of them running mid to lower 13s, and the people that tend to go to the track are better drivers then your average person on the street. You will see your average stage 2 wrx running mid to upper 13s at the track, so yes the sti is a few ticks quicker with equal drivers, but i have also seen my fair share of STIs running 14s, and its very common and i have also seen my fair share of stage 2 wrxs running low 13s so while the sti still has an advantage in a situation with two identical drivers, that situation rarely occurs and if the wrx driver is better then the sti driver, the wrx could EASILY win, we are talking a few tenths of a second here with equal drivers, and 1-2mph advantage to the sti, thats next to nothing when we have humans and not robots driving.
    I see what you're saying. My point was that the '07 STi is a different beast. It puts down significantly more whp and torque than previous year STi's because of the VF43 turbo (larger wastegate), more adaptive ECU and better heads.
    2006 Panty Dropper

"I want to die peacefully in my sleep, like my grandfather. Not screaming in terror like his passengers."

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

so the 07 sti has a different turbo too? i knew the heads were better (i want to steal them) but the turbo is too?

Quote Originally Posted by ScstealthVR6 View Post
    so the 07 sti has a different turbo too? i knew the heads were better (i want to steal them) but the turbo is too?
    IHI VF43

Registered User farBeyondDriven's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ScstealthVR6 View Post
    Yeah, it has a slightly bigger wastegate. I forget exactly how much bigger. The ECU is also very adaptive, there's a really good thread about it on NASIOC. Doug from TopSpeed (Atlanta, GA) got crazy numbers with headers & TBE and no tune. Then post tune it was something like 330whp and 380wtq., insane for just headers, TBE and tune.
    2006 Panty Dropper

"I want to die peacefully in my sleep, like my grandfather. Not screaming in terror like his passengers."

holy crap thats a huge amount of torque! itll take a new turbo to get my 06 up to those numbers. need to find a wrecked 07 sti and get the heads.

I Support ClubWRX
    02-05 Stage 2 wrx vs. STi is gonna be really really close.

06+ Stage 2 wrx vs. STi I give to the wrx.

The shear torque increase the 2.5l 06+ wrx's have stock over the 2.0's is amazing. Having driven both (have a project bugeye), I'd say from a dig given the 5MT (one less shift to the 1320) and 200lb weight difference (TR is lighter than STI) the 06 stage 2 with TBE driver beats the STi driver 7/10 races.
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

06 WRX, HAWKEYE # 001 <T-boned and sold>

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

Quote Originally Posted by STI-51 View Post
    Gotta love the number of WRX owners who make it their sole purpose in life to beat a stock STi in a straight-line.

Not that this thread has gone in that direction, it just got me thinkin' with all the varied responses. Isn't there more to the STi than it's straight-line performance?
    That is why some of us WRX owners build our WRX's to be "all around" performers.

I could care less how my car keeps up with an STi in either respect, but I can take them at lower speeds, and with my upgraded suspension and brakes I can "hang" in the other areas as well. However I still would not expect to take one on a real track.
    Just call me Clark Kent
    ---------------------------------------
    Offical Body Guard for the Bugeye Mafia.

[QUOTE=DTR rex;1823291]That is why some of us WRX owners build our WRX's to be "all around" performers.
    QUOTE]

Hey, I can respect that. That's certainly more admirable than those who only care about building a wrx just so it is capable of beating an STi in a straight-line and then bragging that their car smokes STi's for $5k less.

I remember seeing a wrx with a plate that read "STIKLR" or something like that!
    Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, start.

Quote Originally Posted by STI-51 View Post

I remember seeing a wrx with a plate that read "STIKLR" or something like that!
    i thought we subbies were supposed 2 be on the same team!

Registered User project_skyline's Avatar
    Haha its funny u say that cause this same friend says the samething, he wanted to get something for his car that said STI killer.

I Support ClubWRX
    Basically now the only diff between my car and an sti is the 6 speed. Which I wouldn't mind having.
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

06 WRX, HAWKEYE # 001 <T-boned and sold>

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

I raced an '05 stock STI in my stock '06 TR a few months ago. I was basically right on his ass until about 80, then he started to pull. Now that i'm stg.2, I don't think I'd have that big of a problem beating one in the 1/4 mile. At least being nose to nose.

EDIT: 1/4 mile might be too much. 0-80 though, I could almost guarantee you that I can beat a STI.
    2006 WRB Impreza WRX TR
    -Cobb stg.2
    -Eclipse AVN 6600 In dash DVD/NAV

Quote Originally Posted by twrx it View Post
    I raced an '05 stock STI in my stock '06 TR a few months ago. I was basically right on his ass until about 80, then he started to pull.
    Your friend couldn't drive then. While the WRX does have shorter gearing, it still is no match for an STI in stock form. If your friend knew how to launch his car he would put some solid distance on you.

Stage2 is another story. A stage2 06' should be able to keep up "somewhat" well. But I barely pull stock STi's in the lower-end in my stage2 + protune bugeye, and my car does not have too much trouble beating stage2 06's.
    Just call me Clark Kent

Quote Originally Posted by DTR rex View Post
    Your friend couldn't drive then. While the WRX does have shorter gearing, it still is no match for an STI in stock form. If your friend knew how to launch his car he would put some solid distance on you.

Stage2 is another story. A stage2 06' should be able to keep up "somewhat" well. But I barely pull stock STi's in the lower-end in my stage2 + protune bugeye, and my car does not have too much trouble beating stage2 06's.
    Well, nevertheless. I was neck and neck with that STi owner. don't care if he was Mario Andretti or Betty Boop, I was right with him.

BTW, your "friends" in those stg.2 06's can't drive if your stg. 2 2.0 can beat them. Sorry.... how do you like it??

Let me ask you this, what are your numbers? What are you putting down?
    2006 WRB Impreza WRX TR
    -Cobb stg.2
    -Eclipse AVN 6600 In dash DVD/NAV

Quote Originally Posted by twrx it View Post
    Well, nevertheless. I was neck and neck with that STi owner. don't care if he was Mario Andretti or Betty Boop, I was right with him.

BTW, your "friends" in those stg.2 06's can't drive if your stg. 2 2.0 can beat them. Sorry.... how do you like it??

Let me ask you this, what are your numbers? What are you putting down?
    237whp/234tq.

I have raced more than one stage2 OTS 06' WRX. They can launch harder and that torque helps them out in 1st gear but after that its all me.
    Just call me Clark Kent

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.