2002 WRX vs 2003 350Z
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on 2002 WRX vs 2003 350Z within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Ok i dont officially have a WRX yet but will be getting one soon...right now a have a 1999 Civic ...

2002 WRX vs 2003 350Z

Ok i dont officially have a WRX yet but will be getting one soon...right now a have a 1999 Civic SIR with bolt ons + type r cams. Anyways i have a buddy who had a 1997 civic with a stock GSR swap and i used to beat him by 1-2 car lengths every time...

About a month ago he got a 350Z and now hes *****ing all the time how much faster his car is than mine...(and its not much lol)...i run low 15's with my SIR...we raced on the highway a few times and he only wins by about a car to a car and a half....

I want to know if i will be able to beat him in a stock 2002 WRX (off the line)? My friend is not the greatest driver either so im pretty sure i will be able to take him?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by JDM__WRX View Post
    Ok i dont officially have a WRX yet but will be getting one soon...right now a have a 1999 Civic SIR with bolt ons + type r cams. Anyways i have a buddy who had a 1997 civic with a stock GSR swap and i used to beat him by 1-2 car lengths every time...

About a month ago he got a 350Z and now hes *****ing all the time how much faster his car is than mine...(and its not much lol)...i run low 15's with my SIR...we raced on the highway a few times and he only wins by about a car to a car and a half....

I want to know if i will be able to beat him in a stock 2002 WRX (off the line)? My friend is not the greatest driver either so im pretty sure i will be able to take him?
    I've had both a wrx and a Z if he's an ok driver or better then he will win. You maybe be able to jump him off the line (especially if his is a base model) but he'll quickly reel you in. From a roll he'll win. The Z usually runs high 13's. Stage 2 WRX will take a Z. Anything is possible given a large enough margin of driver skill, but with equal drivers an 02 will loose.

However you said your car runs low 15's and he didn't beat you by much (and he should have beat you by alot) so he must be a pretty bad driver.

Thats said don't buy a car just because its faster than your friends thats stupid. Get the car you like, because in a few years time someone wil just have a newer faster car. The WRX is a great car and can do more practical things than the Z could ever dream of.
    Last edited by cavallino333; 01-12-2007 at 05:43 PM.
    FORZA FERRARI
    BLOBEYE SYNDICATE (retired) #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Integra96 View Post
    One day I hope to buy a car that is lubricated exclusively by pure manatee oil.

from a stop, if he's a bad driver, and you launch like you're trying to break your tranny, then you may stand a chance.

from a roll, the 350Z will walk all over you. you'll find that from a roll, a stock WRX is kind of uninspiring due to the drivetrain losses + ****ty stock turbo top end.

i'm assuming this is gonna be at a track
    2002 WRX Sedan
    World Rally Blue
    OEM front lip, Cwest skirts and rear lip
    STi rear wing
    JDM Greddy turbo timer

Sound's like he means drag. I didn't know they let you do rolling starts at a drag strip

Quote Originally Posted by blackzwrx View Post
    Sound's like he means drag. I didn't know they let you do rolling starts at a drag strip
    He never said anything about a drag strip he just said they raced on the highway.

I agree frumaroll is lame though.
    FORZA FERRARI

From a stop you should be able to take him no problem up to 75mph then he will probably pass you, that is of course if you get a pretty good launch, if you get a great launch (14.1) type of launch you may beat him all the way up to 90mph depending on his skills. Like said above the Z can run high 13s but that is as common as a wrx running 14.1s, most Zs i have seen are low to mid 14s on average, the Z is the faster car, but from a stop you can hold him off for a good while. My friend has an 02 wrx cobb stage 1 and he raced his boss with an E46 M3 with gears, chip and exhaust. From a dead stop and a 5k launch my friend held the M3 off till 90mph and then it blew by him. Him and his boss set the race up, and they are both car freaks, his boss track races the M3 and knows how the drive the **** out of it, but with a great awd launch on a unprepped street, its hard for the M3 to get traction and once it does the wrx will have a good lead. If you race from a roll you will lose, if you race from a dig to 70mph and you get a decent launch you should hold him off, if you get a great launch you can hold him to 90mph or so, and if you get a great launch and he can't launch well you might even be able to hold him to close to 100mph, it all depends on how well you guys can drive.
    2005 WRX (Short throw shifter, lightweight pulley,STI Splitters,Tein H-Tech springs,Up/Down Pipe, ERZ Catback, Cobb Stage 2, ASA JH8 with Yokohama ES 100s) 13.680@100.46mph

Hmmmmmm

If your friend is only winning by a car and a half in a 350Z vs bolt on civic si from a roll something is wrong. He needs to learn how to pick his gears better I think.

A stock 02' wrx is typically no match for a Z from a dig or a roll. However, it sounds like your friend cannot drive, which gives you an open door for winning from a dig. Go stage2 and you shouldn't have a problem beating him from a dig or a roll.
    Just call me Clark Kent
    ---------------------------------------
    Offical Body Guard for the Bugeye Mafia.

Quote Originally Posted by DTR rex View Post
    Hmmmmmm

If your friend is only winning by a car and a half in a 350Z vs bolt on civic si from a roll something is wrong. He needs to learn how to pick his gears better I think.

A stock 02' wrx is typically no match for a Z from a dig or a roll. However, it sounds like your friend cannot drive, which gives you an open door for winning from a dig. Go stage2 and you shouldn't have a problem beating him from a dig or a roll.
    this is a noob question (then again im a noob) but what is a "stage 2" exactly? im guessing just an upgraded turbo?

by the way cavallino333 ofcourse im getting a WRX cuz thats the car that i want...has nothing to do with my friend...that would be a pretty stupid reason to make a huge investment in to a car (just to beat one guy lol)...

but yeah i been looking at Imprezas for a while...i had it narrowed down to 3 cars....

RSX Type S - dont like the interior, dont like the way it looks stock

A4 1.8T - tooo slow and unreliable

WRX - looks clean, fast, reliable, roomy etc...

by the way how is a 2002 WRX on gas?

by the way how is a 2002 WRX on gas?
    Most people get maybe 18 -24 mpg

With 50/50 highway/city I got about 20 mpg on 91 octane.
    FORZA FERRARI

Stage 2 is an EM setting. It's also a full TBE, cat-less UP, drop-in air filter, snorkle delete, poss. an I/C with hoses or a light weight pully. If you don't understand my abbr. you need to use the search, wait a minute, scratch that, use the search anyway. These stage2 questions have 999,999,999 threads on the forum.

By the way I have beat umteen 350z's they are not that fast. Trust me I work on them for a living, and yes that includes the 300hp engine. Nice cars though if you don't ever drive in the rain/snow. You can check profile for my mods, and they aren't anything special.

I get around 26-27mpg in my 05 Stage II wrx, thats mostly backroad driving, with very little highway driving. If i push it hard i get 24mpg or so, if i take it easy i can get nearly 30mpg.
    2005 WRX (Short throw shifter, lightweight pulley,STI Splitters,Tein H-Tech springs,Up/Down Pipe, ERZ Catback, Cobb Stage 2, ASA JH8 with Yokohama ES 100s) 13.680@100.46mph

is it just me or does it seem people get more MPG when they go Stage 2..

Quote Originally Posted by momolicious View Post
    is it just me or does it seem people get more MPG when they go Stage 2..

It is because the stage 2 map actually runs more efficient, and not having cats also helps with gas mileage.

Quote Originally Posted by cavallino333 View Post
    I've had both a wrx and a Z if he's an ok driver or better then he will win.The Z usually runs high 13's.
    I have never ever seen a 350Z hit 13's be it high or low, sittin stock. I have been to the track with at least 20 z's every stock one could only manage a mid to low 14.
    '05 Black STi 13.389 @ 101.54 on awesome NM 90 Octane At Lubbock Speedway 3200ft Elev. with just a catless Turboback.

Quote Originally Posted by elohdaeh78 View Post
    It is because the stage 2 map actually runs more efficient, and not having cats also helps with gas mileage.
    True, although when you go Stage 2 you also have a tendency to drive faster which puts that mpg right back down

I get 21 city at the worst and then 28 to 29 on the highway. Normal driving is about 23 to 24...
    2013 WRX SWP

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast