what is faster ? - Page 9
+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789

This is a discussion on what is faster ? within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally Posted by momolicious ^ uh, what are these problems you speak of water pump failures are common (!), and ...

Quote Originally Posted by momolicious View Post
    ^ uh, what are these problems you speak of
    water pump failures are common (!), and depending on owner maintenance, much of the cooling system goes bye bye fairly often.

blown shocks, steering components, engine hardware, ECU, all very problematic even before 100K.

typical German car: when it works, it's perfect.
    embattled, we prevail...only victory exhaled.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by AngelBoy View Post
    water pump failures are common (!), and depending on owner maintenance, much of the cooling system goes bye bye fairly often.

blown shocks, steering components, engine hardware, ECU, all very problematic even before 100K.

typical German car: when it works, it's perfect.
    To name a few. But you ever hear of the "oil pump nut"? supposedly this has happened to a good amount of guys so it's not just one or 2. If you're spinning out (even what commonly happens at track's off the line) sometimes the car will just die and there's this little nut on the oil pump that will spin itself off... that' happens, all your oil drains out the engine and few miles down the road, boom. Lot's of guys have it welded on there... but why the crap is it there in the first place is what i wanna know. The guys that have had it welded have on average paid 1000-1200 in labor charges... you do the math. For an experienced BMW tech, that's like 10-12 hrs.
    Blobeye Syndicate #2004
    Military Militia #30-06

2004 WRX - JBP:Stage 2:13.93 @ 96

Wingless alas. Too bad it took a 50 ton truck to make it happen.

haha, and don't forget the $800 heater control (full digital ACC) that has gone out on my friend twice in 2.5 years.

Oh, and the abs pump... eh. The list is endless dude. Those cars weren't meant to be a daily driver. Once they top 100k, they fall apart so don't ever buy one that's close to that. And remember, very few M3's have not been beaten on.
    Blobeye Syndicate #2004
    Military Militia #30-06

Quote Originally Posted by powder View Post
    Well, i have 2 friends (yes, only 2 ), one w/ an E36 M3 and one w/ an E46 M3. I've driven both... i'd take my friend's dad's Z06 over both w/o question. I'd also take an STI over both. The creature comforts are cool and all but they just don't do it for me. They're expensive to fix, you can't mod them cheaply and get any hp out of them period short of FI ($12k+)... despite that, they're only ok to drive (like i said, i'd take the Z06 over it cuz i've driven that too) and my friend swears his car was teh best3st handling car of '97 OVER ALL. Ya, you said that about your '98 Prelude too...

"what? even better than Ferrari?"

"Ya dude, way better."

"you can hit 1.0+g on the skidpad?"

"huh?"

Dude, I actually wholely agree with you on this! I would take a Z06 any day over a M3,
    Current Vehicle: 2006 Volvo S60 R Sonic Blue/Atacama
    SOLD:
    2006 Graphite Gray Evo IX
    2004 STi
    2003 SVT Cobra
    2003 SVT Lightning
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffbmx00 View Post
    my friend has a 5.0 too, they are slow, the only way to decently make them fast is to drop a v8 explorer engine in them.

Also heard stories of people changing oil in their Beemers and they attempt to unscrew the Oil pan bolt and it strips horribly or have broken off, leaving it to where it has to be pressed out or bored out. I only had a 96 318i and it was a fun little car, but heavy. My friend blew the clutch and flywheel and that was expensive...

I do love the M3 though...
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning

I Support ClubWRX
    I'm disheartened to hear these horror stories about the Bimmers with mileage on them. If for some reason in the future I wanted the room that a true 4-seater gives, but wanted a nice German performance vehicle, I was thinking seriously about an E46 M3 or a new-generation 335.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
    I'm disheartened to hear these horror stories about the Bimmers with mileage on them. If for some reason in the future I wanted the room that a true 4-seater gives, but wanted a nice German performance vehicle, I was thinking seriously about an E46 M3 or a new-generation 335.
    You can still buy a new one and not keep it past 100k. They're nice cars.
    Blobeye Syndicate #2004
    Military Militia #30-06

i literally feel your pain. i've done every possible kind of search on which BMW i can buy that will give me Japanese levels of reliability and i found zero, repeat ZERO prospects.

my sample size was hardly narrow:

E39 M5
    E39 540i
    E36 3-series with any engine/tranny combo
    E46 3-series with any engine/tranny combo
    ANY 7 SERIES AT ALL: even if it only came in purple, i still considered it.

coupe, convertible, sport package, base suspension, 5-speed, 6-speed, automatic, pre-OBD II, iDrive, it just didn't make a difference: you wanna keep a Bimmer running, either go to medical school, or rob a bank. i've given up.

that's not even the bad news. a few years ago, BMW found out that a major complaint from its consumer loyale was maintenance costs. surprise!

so a great company like BMW obviously improved the quality. oh wait, no they didn't. they took out the dipstick, and had a computer chip tell you when to come in for service.

the result? Ray, if you get a used bimmer of any kind in the future, and it was dealer serviced, you're buying a car that had 10,000 mile intervals between oil changes(since BMW offers free service for the first few years), *and since the tranny fluid is a "lifetime" fluid, the dealer has been known deny service on transmission flushes!*

that was BMW's answer to saving people a buck. good luck finding a used one in the future that was serviced correctly.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by powder View Post
    You can still buy a new one and not keep it past 100k. They're nice cars.
    I doubt I'll ever be able to justify (to myself) spending today's equivalent of > $40,000 for a car. I'll be driving down the road, constantly thinking of better things I could have done with the money.

Quote Originally Posted by AngelBoy View Post
    i literally feel your pain. i've done every possible kind of search on which BMW i can buy that will give me Japanese levels of reliability and i found zero, repeat ZERO prospects.

If you guys start talking about Porsche next, I'm going to plug my ears with my fingers and start yelling "LALALALALALAI CAN'T HEAR YOULALALALALLA!"

--Ray
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited

I Support ClubWRX

If you guys start talking about Porsche next, I'm going to plug my ears with my fingers and start yelling "LALALALALALAI CAN'T HEAR YOULALALALALLA!"

+ Zuffenhausen
    "Did you sleep well?"
    "No, I made a couple of mistakes."
    -- Steven Wright

don't blame you; i love Porsche, although i'm a Cayman S > 911 type of guy. both great cars, but one loves physics, and the other fights it to the end.

although there's some more bad news for you, Ray: i think the 998 911 will be bored out to 4.0L, and after that, nothing bigger will fit back there. how they're going to add more power without increasing displacement is not the problem; the problem is: can they do it without changing the 911's character?
    Last edited by AngelBoy; 01-24-2007 at 08:06 PM.

I Support ClubWRX
    I love the Cayman and the 911. Need to drive a Cayman to get a feel for it, and to compare to my 911 experience.

If they bore to 4 liters, I'm sure it'll be putting out in the neighborhood of 400hp. Hopefully that'll be enough to get me by.
    --Ray
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited

haha good point.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.