Death by a 6.0 gto - Page 5
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

This is a discussion on Death by a 6.0 gto within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally Posted by rr1911 i can take a 6.0 gto all day in my stage 2 STi Oh yeah. STi ...

Quote Originally Posted by rr1911 View Post

i can take a 6.0 gto all day in my stage 2 STi
    Oh yeah. STi @ stage 2 should take em! But the WRX at stage 1 i was suprised he was right there with em, the 06/07 WRX is kind of starting to seem like the new SRT-4 only the SRT-4 has a much better tranny! Damn Neon with a damn good motor and good tranny. My rear diff might be on its way out = (
    2003 Platinum Silver Metalic Sedan
    VF-34 Powered
    My Mods
    Quote Originally Posted by Yossarian
    Even if your car was stock, your chances of warranty coverage are about as good as a retarded chimp trying to do a calculus problem while high on pcp.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Official ClubWRX arms dealer SOUTHPAW's Avatar
    Oh sh!t, I'm in the wrong forum...
    *1969 Camaro - Kickin' It Old School
    PICS & MODS

*2005 Corvette C6 - A few APS bolt-ons
    PICS & MODS <- Built by XX Tuning
    *2003 Subaru WRX - 332 AWHP - SOLD
    PICS & MODS <- Built by XX Tuning

Quote Originally Posted by 06grayrex View Post
    Not add fuel to the fire but if you find Road and Track a creditable mag, then thier 1/4mi time for a stock 6.0 gto was only 13.7 @ 103mph compared to the SRT8 13.3 @108mph, so I could honestly see why I didn't so bad against that gto.
    If you're running 13.3-13.7 at 100+ at stage 1, I'll eat my own shorts (and I know where I've been!)

Registered User farBeyondDriven's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Black Beauty View Post
    If you're running 13.3-13.7 at 100+ at stage 1, I'll eat my own shorts (and I know where I've been!)
    Chiketkd ran a 13.74 (in an '06) in the 1/4 bone stock. Although, it's a stretch, even with a good driver, it's possible.
    Last edited by farBeyondDriven; 02-02-2007 at 10:30 AM.
    2006 Panty Dropper

"I want to die peacefully in my sleep, like my grandfather. Not screaming in terror like his passengers."

Point taken - I guess my point was more toward the trap speed and being somewhere in between 13.3-13.7. 13.74 is a great time, especially bone stock in an '06. Since I had a 2.0 instead of a 2.5, do the '06 with the bigger displacement (and 3 hp at the crank) spool quicker or seem quicker than the earlier models? I obviously don't have any experience in the newer models, but I was surprised to see the 13.74 you mentioned - I don't know that my '04 stage 1 would have pulled that off with a good launch.

Point taken - I guess my point was more toward the trap speed and being somewhere in between 13.3-13.7. 13.74 is a great time, especially bone stock in an '06. Since I had a 2.0 instead of a 2.5, do the '06 with the bigger displacement (and 3 hp at the crank) spool quicker or seem quicker than the earlier models? I obviously don't have any experience in the newer models, but I was surprised to see the 13.74 you mentioned - I don't know that my '04 stage 1 would have pulled that off with a good launch.
    The '06 WRX's are slightly underrated in crank HP & torque. Dyno's show ~200whp & ~235wtq. as opposed to the '02-05's ~170whp & ~175wtq... Alot of people tend to overestimate this gain in the '06+ models, hence all the "06/07 WRX's are the new SRT-4 / fast4r" talk. They also weigh a little more then previous models.

Some good drivers are able to squeeze high 13's out of them, the 13.74 is the best that I've seen (some people are claiming lower on NASIOC but I'm not a fan of that place). Also, the 13.74 is with the spare tire removed. I've gotten a 1.90 60-foot in my '06 but then missed 2nd, I can't wait until the track opens back up.
    2006 Panty Dropper

"I want to die peacefully in my sleep, like my grandfather. Not screaming in terror like his passengers."

If you believe Cobb, I should have added 23hp to my 227, putting me at 250hp at the crank. Figure a 15% drivetrain loss, and I should have been putting ~ 212hp to the wheels. It was a quick car, but it just didn't feel as fast as this GTO. I don't know whether it was the time you waited to spool or whether the torque from all this displacement (which is available all the time) is what makes it feel faster. I never dynoed either car, but my butt dyno says this car is faster. Wouldn't want to autocross a rex since these things handle like a Buick, but straight line (especially from a roll) they are something else.

Also, most of the stockers I see on the GTO forum are dynoing at around 330rwhp. The car weighs 3750, so the weight/hp ratio is 11.4 lbs/hp. For the rex (which I believe was around 3100 lbs) the ratio assuming 212 whp is 14.6 lbs/hp, putting it at a big disadvantage to the GTO. That's all good on paper, but it's what happens on the street that matters. I know what a rex will do, so I won't turn down any opportunities to see how the two match up.

I'm sorry you must have misread something... I was making a point that if you consider R&T a creditable mag then they reported that a stock 6.0 GTO ran a 13.7 in the 1/4mi compared to a SRT8 charger which ran a 13.3 in the 1/4mi., and I could see why I had that outcome with my stage 1 tr.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #666
    Stage 2

I'm sorry you must have misread something... I was making a point that if you consider R&T a creditable mag then they reported that a stock 6.0 GTO ran a 13.7 in the 1/4mi compared to a SRT8 charger which ran a 13.3 in the 1/4mi., and I could see why I had that outcome with my stage 1 tr.
    No, I was always good with reading. I think the implication that was made in your comment that a stage 1 rex could run with an SRT8 at 13.3 or a GTO at 13.7 seemed a bit aggressive. An Sti maybe or heavily modified stock WRX. I'd suggest that you find someone with a 6.0 to give you a ride - that should be enough. Otherwise, you might find a better driver than you encountered and a thread like this will never see the light of day.

Not add fuel to the fire but if you find Road and Track a creditable mag, then thier 1/4mi time for a stock 6.0 gto was only 13.7 @ 103mph compared to the SRT8 13.3 @108mph, so I could honestly see why I didn't so bad against that gto.
    No, I was always good with reading. I think the implication that was made in your comment that a stage 1 rex could run with an SRT8 at 13.3 or a GTO at 13.7 seemed a bit aggressive. An Sti maybe or heavily modified stock WRX. I'd suggest that you find someone with a 6.0 to give you a ride - that should be enough. Otherwise, you might find a better driver than you encountered and a thread like this will never see the light of day.
    Now please read again!!!!!!!!!!!Nowhere did I say that I could run with an SRT8. Please put your reading glasses back on!!!!!!! This is saying that a 13.7 isn't that impossible with a Stage 1 Wrx. Plus I said that "so I could honeslty see why I didn't do so bad against that gto" I did not say that beat him or that I could run with one that has a good driver....
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #666
    Stage 2

Thanks for the reminder - I did read it again, and still see the same implication that your stage 1 runs close to the numbers shown in a credible car mag for the GTO or SRT8. I should maybe ask you also to calm down a bit and back off the SRT4 juice for a few minutes. Stage 1 rex's are fast, but as I pointed out in my earlier post regarding hp/weight ratios and the fact that a stage 1 is outgunned by 330rwhp (GTO) to around 212rwhp (Stage 1 rex), I'm surprised that you didn't get your doors welded shut. It's possible that you're a better driver than you opponent was, I just don't know. The car mags are great indicators of what a car can do, but driver expertise, willingness to run hard, and variables on the street can make you think that you can spank Enzos all day. Putting a NASCAR driver in a Yugo won't make it faster, but he'll likely get a bit more performance out of it than most of the rest of us. Please don't take this as a personal attack - I just happen to know both of the contenders pretty intimately and I'm throwing my $.02 out there. When you can come back with a balanced, objective opinion after driving both yourself, we'll talk some more.

Figure a 15% drivetrain loss
    Most AWD cars, especially Subaru's, suffer a ~20-25% drivetrain loss. Stage 1 only adds ~7whp I think, the smoother powerband is why most people go Stage 1. So 212whp is about right, most likely a little generous for a 2.5L Stage 1 WRX. Stock crank HP in the 2.5L's is more towards 250hp, they're underrated as they dyno around 200whp stock.
    2006 Panty Dropper

Thanks for the objective insight, farbeyonddriven. I appreciate your candor on this matter. I certainly don't want to portrayed as a troll on here, as I spend 18 months learning more about Subie's than I ever thought I would. I still like to visit from time to time, but some underinformed comments are just
    hard to pass up. I'll try to keep the snide comments to a minimum in the future. Enjoy your rex and mod away!

Thanks for the reminder - I did read it again, and still see the same implication that your stage 1 runs close to the numbers shown in a credible car mag for the GTO or SRT8. I should maybe ask you also to calm down a bit and back off the SRT4 juice for a few minutes. Stage 1 rex's are fast, but as I pointed out in my earlier post regarding hp/weight ratios and the fact that a stage 1 is outgunned by 330rwhp (GTO) to around 212rwhp (Stage 1 rex), I'm surprised that you didn't get your doors welded shut. It's possible that you're a better driver than you opponent was, I just don't know. The car mags are great indicators of what a car can do, but driver expertise, willingness to run hard, and variables on the street can make you think that you can spank Enzos all day. Putting a NASCAR driver in a Yugo won't make it faster, but he'll likely get a bit more performance out of it than most of the rest of us. Please don't take this as a personal attack - I just happen to know both of the contenders pretty intimately and I'm throwing my $.02 out there. When you can come back with a balanced, objective opinion after driving both yourself, we'll talk some more.
    I was refuring to R&T mag b/c they did a comparasion between the SRT8 and the GTO which stated the times where I came to some sort of conclusion of what a stock 6.0 gto would run. Not that I claimed my rex could do the 1320 between 13.3-13.7. Now if one would have also read the fact that I lost which means that if a stock gto runs a 13.7 that would mean that my car is slower, how much, I do not know, but surely not unbelieveable that a stage 1 can dip into the high 13's. You just need to stop trying to put words in people's mouth, making suggestions/implications on what others intentions and thoughts are, when I have stated in a lot of posts here saying that the 06 wrx trs are not the to be all that ends all, and I was just satisified on how my car ran against a car that is faster. So I don't know where you get off comparing me to someone who thinks that his car will spank Enzos just because of the willingness to run hard. If someone would have read also the second or third post one would see that I didn't know also if the gto was at WOT, I don't know???? So maybe just maybe a 6.0 gto is faster than that, but this is how this situation went down. Like it or not.
    Last edited by 06grayrex; 02-06-2007 at 12:38 AM.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #666
    Stage 2

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast