Death by a 6.0 gto - Page 4
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

This is a discussion on Death by a 6.0 gto within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally Posted by AwdTurboWrx yeah i wish my sti would bust trannies like the 06/07. Anyone who busts their 06/07's ...

Registered User farBeyondDriven's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AwdTurboWrx View Post
    yeah i wish my sti would bust trannies like the 06/07.
    Anyone who busts their 06/07's tranny is an assclown who can't drive. Unless they're puttin down 300+whp with crazy wtq., the 5MT should hold up if driven correctly.
    2006 Panty Dropper

"I want to die peacefully in my sleep, like my grandfather. Not screaming in terror like his passengers."

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

ha

SoCal F4 #22 Shoes
    Quote Originally Posted by Forester 2.5 XTi View Post
    If aesthetics was 1st, I wouldn't have bought a Forester!

Quote Originally Posted by farBeyondDriven View Post
    Anyone who busts their 06/07's tranny is an assclown who can't drive. Unless they're puttin down 300+whp with crazy wtq., the 5MT should hold up if driven correctly.
    anyone that busts a tranny in any wrx at this point either doesn't care or is a total idiot, i could see the first people to get the 02s when they came out, but if you did any research on this car you know what not to do when launching it, and you can launch the **** out of this car and still not kill the trans as long as you do it right, make sure you get some wheel spin and you are fine, i have done it many times and my car is just fine.
    2005 WRX (Short throw shifter, lightweight pulley,STI Splitters,Tein H-Tech springs,Up/Down Pipe, ERZ Catback, Cobb Stage 2, ASA JH8 with Yokohama ES 100s) 13.680@100.46mph

Marcin who used to come on here a ton just shredded second gear on his 03. He's not a drag racer pretty much an autoxer. I wouldn't consider him an idiot and he doesn't beat the hell out of his car.

glass gears ftl.

Quote Originally Posted by elohdaeh78 View Post
    anyone that busts a tranny in any wrx at this point either doesn't care or is a total idiot, i could see the first people to get the 02s when they came out, but if you did any research on this car you know what not to do when launching it, and you can launch the **** out of this car and still not kill the trans as long as you do it right, make sure you get some wheel spin and you are fine, i have done it many times and my car is just fine.
    First off, I don't launch my WRX. But, that is beside the point. When it comes to launching a car... damn if I understand how spinning the wheels reduces stress on the internals of the transmission.

You'll have to elucidate me.

The way I understand how to break things is to subject any single part to more stress than it is capable of handling. Subject a part to stress (pressure on the part) and you get strain (deformation of the part). Get enough strain and the part or assembly fails.

Back to Statics class.....
    There are two classes of friction: static and dynamic (or kinetic). Static (rolling) friction happens between two surfaces that are stationary relative to each other, or are not sliding against each other. Dynamic friction is what happens between surfaces that are sliding against each other. Generally, static friction is significantly stronger than dynamic friction.

The highest possible stress that your drive train components will have to deal with happens when your crank shaft is turning as hard as it can without breaking the static state between tire and road. So, in order to break the wheels loose and get into that lower/weaker dynamic friction state, you have to press your drive train through the absolute maximum possible stress.

You are correct that once the wheels are broken loose, then you are in a dynamic friction situation and the drive train is, theoretically, under less stress. But, in order to achieve that dynamic friction condition, you are having to force your drive train to deal with the max possible stress of breaking out of the static friction state. I don't see how repeatedly requiring your drive train to deal with the max possible stress is better than learning to launch as close to but under that max possible stress. Anything below breaking a wheel loose is below the max possible.

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Friction

Maybe I'm missing something here.... Maybe there is some dynamic that I'm neglecting to consider.....
    <---Is that not the ugliest critter?
    ---------------------------------------------
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #43

2nd time now posting this

The Nile

The Ghosts of Zooph and Sarcasmo Will haunt CLUBWRX forever!!!

Quote Originally Posted by AwdTurboWrx View Post
    2nd time now posting this

The Nile

Who's in D-Nile???
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #666
    Stage 2

i'm pretty sure i can beat an F-22 on my unicycle.
    SoCal F4 #22 Shoes

uke
    I heard that the 06/07 WRX's were faster than the SRT-4's, which is just slightly faster than Chuck Norris.

*GASP*

06 GTO - yeah, it's pretty quick
    Grand Prix GTP-gone

so much torque it twisted the frame off the line.

i'm scared to death of that car.
    SoCal F4 #22 Shoes

Quote Originally Posted by uke View Post
    I heard that the 06/07 WRX's were faster than the SRT-4's, which is just slightly faster than Chuck Norris.

*GASP*

LMAO

btw your sig is classic, the good clubwrx days.
    The Ghosts of Zooph and Sarcasmo Will haunt CLUBWRX forever!!!

Registered User farBeyondDriven's Avatar
    I kept up with a Scud missile until the top of 4th in my 2.5L...it was pretty cool.
    2006 Panty Dropper

"I want to die peacefully in my sleep, like my grandfather. Not screaming in terror like his passengers."

I'd just activate my cars wings and fly away

/Farva
    Car-less

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.