Moded Mk5 GTI vs 03vf34 wrx.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Moded Mk5 GTI vs 03vf34 wrx. within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Well here it is in a nut shell, New GTI i see comming up behind me weaving in and out ...

Moded Mk5 GTI vs 03vf34 wrx.

Well here it is in a nut shell, New GTI i see comming up behind me weaving in and out of traffic, im the first car in a pack of cars going down the road he gets next to me and nails it I hear his turbo and exhaust as he pulls away then hits the brakes. So with my friend in the car i figure why not.. well we do 4 runs

first run, 3rd gear 40 mph, GTi pulled 1 car, but the one thing that pissed me off was we were going on 3 honks but evertime he would start on the 2nd honk..

Second run, 3rd at 55 , neither car pulled away he got the jump again and i was pulling him back in by mid through third and he shuts it down..

third run, 2nd gear 35 mph, he again jumped but this time on the first honk, he had a half a car on me when he shut it down but i was pulling him in pretty hard this time.

4th run, 70 mph 4th gear, even.. with GTi again jumping,

I talked to the driver afterwards and he laughed and told me i was still pulling him back in even with him jumping the start. I asked him his mods and he said he only had a chip. I went on the web and was searching to see what the hell the new GTI had in it.. ( he was debadged except for the little grill one) and i notice his exhaust is different and his turbo and exhaust is much louder than what i heard from another stock one. I told him he had more than that done and asked again and he said gotta go, and exited.

anyone have any ideas on what mods he might have had? Im 300whp so im sure he had something..!
    2003 Platinum Silver Metalic Sedan
    VF-34 Powered
    My Mods
    Quote Originally Posted by Yossarian
    Even if your car was stock, your chances of warranty coverage are about as good as a retarded chimp trying to do a calculus problem while high on pcp.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

BS. No way that guy had just a chip when you're putting down 300 WHP. He might have had an upgraded turbo.
    2006 WRX TR

yep he had to have had something... he was fast, i want to know what he would have had done to be right there with me, i mean i was pulling him back in but he was really really fast for a gti, and he said he only had a chip!

Also it wasnt an R32 either..
    Last edited by enash99; 01-02-2007 at 01:23 PM.
    VF-34 Powered
    My Mods
    Even if your car was stock, your chances of warranty coverage are about as good as a retarded chimp trying to do a calculus problem while high on pcp.

I raced my friends stock 02 wrx with my cobb stage II wrx and he went on the 2nd honk a few times and whenever he did that we were dead even from 25-70mph. We both took our cars to the same track he ran a best of a 14.3@92mph i ran a best of a 13.6@101mph, so if you think about it, there is probably a second or so between honks and if his car was a second slower then yours he would have been even if he jumped on the 2nd honk.
    Last edited by elohdaeh78; 01-02-2007 at 12:39 PM.
    2005 WRX (Short throw shifter, lightweight pulley,STI Splitters,Tein H-Tech springs,Up/Down Pipe, ERZ Catback, Cobb Stage 2, ASA JH8 with Yokohama ES 100s) 13.680@100.46mph

Registered User farBeyondDriven's Avatar
    Yeah, him jumping the start definitely played a big part... With just exhaust and a chip I could see this happening since he was jumping the start. A chip on the 2.0T (GTI's new motor) has crazy gains, roughly 230whp from 180whp stock (+50whp) and about 270wtq. from around ~190-200wtq. stock (+70wtq.). If it was a turbo-back exhaust that'd definitely add some omphff... From a roll they're pretty fast (VWs have pretty good gearing up top), but from a dig they'll wheel-hop till the cows come home.

Check out this thread I made a week or so ago when I had an encounter with one: WARNING: Mad Ricers in MK5 GTI 2.0T's
    2006 Panty Dropper

"I want to die peacefully in my sleep, like my grandfather. Not screaming in terror like his passengers."

Quote Originally Posted by farBeyondDriven View Post
    Yeah, him jumping the start definitely played a big part... With just exhaust and a chip I could see this happening since he was jumping the start. A chip on the 2.0T (GTI's new motor) has crazy gains, roughly 230whp from 180whp stock (+50whp) and about 270wtq. from around ~190-200wtq. stock (+70wtq.). If it was a turbo-back exhaust that'd definitely add some omphff... From a roll they're pretty fast (VWs have pretty good gearing up top), but from a dig they'll wheel-hop till the cows come home.

Check out this thread I made a week or so ago when I had an encounter with one: WARNING: Mad Ricers in MK5 GTI 2.0T's
    Good point! i didnt know they picked up that much power off just the chip! That was like my 93 300ZX did with the JWT stuff. Man that jump he had made all the diff in the world. I am going to look for him and try to talk to him about his mods cause fromaroll he was fast.
    VF-34 Powered
    My Mods

He had to have had more than a chip. However a new GTI with full exhaust, intake, and tuned ecu will probably give a VF34 wrx a run for its money. From what I have seen, with just chip alone they are trapping 99mph. With full exhaust and tune I would assume they can reach 103mph traps or so. That combined with him getting the jump on you = the result. The new GTI's have very nice topend.
    It was torque that allowed him to hold you off for so long, and that is why once speeds got higher to started to pull him in before he shut down.

If he was chipped on an upgraded turbo he would have rapped you.
    Just call me Clark Kent
    ---------------------------------------
    Offical Body Guard for the Bugeye Mafia.

Yeah he probably had no more then a chip and exhaust, you can get some really good gains with those mods on the new GTI but sounded like a close race.

Next time race him from a dig and he wouldn’t be able to get that jump, that’s for sure.

Damn they must have a nice motor then! what turbo comes stock on those now?
    VF-34 Powered
    My Mods

Quote Originally Posted by enash99 View Post
    Damn they must have a nice motor then! what turbo comes stock on those now?
    It's a BorgWarner k03 variant, same series used in the 1.8T. However, it's slightly tweaked and integrated into the manifold. Small turbo, spools quick as hell for that ultra low-end torque (max torque = 207 [I think?] @ 1800rpms). On the downside, it's only good for ~230fwhp (FWD VW GTI) or ~210awhp (AWD Audi A4) -- the chip pretty much maxes it out.
    2006 Panty Dropper

"I want to die peacefully in my sleep, like my grandfather. Not screaming in terror like his passengers."

It's a BorgWarner k03 variant, same series used in the 1.8T. However, it's slightly tweaked and integrated into the manifold. Small turbo, spools quick as hell for that ultra low-end torque (max torque = 207 [I think?] @ 1800rpms). On the downside, it's only good for ~230fwhp (FWD VW GTI) or ~210awhp (AWD Audi A4) -- the chip pretty much maxes it out.
    noice.. with 230 fwhp and the jump he kept getting is why he stayed ahead, atleast i feel better knowing i was pulling him in the whole time.
    VF-34 Powered
    My Mods

Quote Originally Posted by enash99 View Post
    noice.. with 230 fwhp and the jump he kept getting is why he stayed ahead, atleast i feel better knowing i was pulling him in the whole time.
    Yeah, with 300awhp you would have definitely reeled him in if you's both kept at it.

Here's what may be a stupid question. I know AWD vehicles suffer more drivetrain loss which is why our cars aren't the best for roll races. All things considered (same gearing, etc.) would a 200fwhp or 200rwhp car be dead even with a 200awhp car from a roll? Additional drivetrain loss because of AWD aside...I'm just curious if it's the AWD itself or the long gears that make our cars "less peppy" at high speeds...?
    2006 Panty Dropper

gt28r turbo kit on those cars is good for 280-290whp with all supporting mods.....

Yeah, with 300awhp you would have definitely reeled him in if you's both kept at it.

Here's what may be a stupid question. I know AWD vehicles suffer more drivetrain loss which is why our cars aren't the best for roll races. All things considered (same gearing, etc.) would a 200fwhp or 200rwhp car be dead even with a 200awhp car from a roll? Additional drivetrain loss because of AWD aside...I'm just curious if it's the AWD itself or the long gears that make our cars "less peppy" at high speeds...?
    It all depends on the cars weight, gearing, power curve and aerodynamics. If you took two identical cars with everything identical except one being awd and the other being fwd and you raced them from a roll they would be dead even unless they had so much power that the front wheel drive car had traction issues, in that case the awd car would win, from a dig its obvious the awd car would win. Once you dyno the car being it awd the awd loss is already figured in the dyno numbers so a 200awhp car vs a 200fwhp or 200rwhp car will be the same from a roll if every other factor is the same, i would say the awd car having the same wheel hp and everything else being the same would always have a slight advantage because it would have the least traction issues in any situation. As for our cars i know that the gearing in my 05 has as much to do with the top end as the awd drivetrain loss.
    2005 WRX (Short throw shifter, lightweight pulley,STI Splitters,Tein H-Tech springs,Up/Down Pipe, ERZ Catback, Cobb Stage 2, ASA JH8 with Yokohama ES 100s) 13.680@100.46mph

Quote Originally Posted by elohdaeh78 View Post
    It all depends on the cars weight, gearing, power curve and aerodynamics. If you took two identical cars with everything identical except one being awd and the other being fwd and you raced them from a roll they would be dead even unless they had so much power that the front wheel drive car had traction issues, in that case the awd car would win, from a dig its obvious the awd car would win. Once you dyno the car being it awd the awd loss is already figured in the dyno numbers so a 200awhp car vs a 200fwhp or 200rwhp car will be the same from a roll if every other factor is the same, i would say the awd car having the same wheel hp and everything else being the same would always have a slight advantage because it would have the least traction issues in any situation. As for our cars i know that the gearing in my 05 has as much to do with the top end as the awd drivetrain loss.
    i dont know that i agree, maybe im getting this confused but lets take two 2003 wrx's mod them both to cobb stage 2 ap, dyno them at lets say 230 awhp. and then you take out the rear drive shaft, (lets assume you could just do this) i still think that the 230 fwhp will pull on the top end. certianly the tune would be all fooked up with the load being all out of whack from the lose of the 2 rear wheels.

This is something that i would luv to see in a controlled test environment with a control and then the test senerio. Im sure someone has documented this b4. Maybe taking a awd car and did a 0-100 like 10 times then took the average and then swapped to a RWD or FWD and did the 0-100 10 times again and looked at the diff in the averages..

cant 4eats become 2wd with the relay trick?
    VF-34 Powered
    My Mods

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast