Moded Mk5 GTI vs 03vf34 wrx. - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on Moded Mk5 GTI vs 03vf34 wrx. within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally Posted by elohdaeh78 It all depends on the cars weight, gearing, power curve and aerodynamics. If you took two ...

Registered User farBeyondDriven's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by elohdaeh78 View Post
    It all depends on the cars weight, gearing, power curve and aerodynamics. If you took two identical cars with everything identical except one being awd and the other being fwd and you raced them from a roll they would be dead even unless they had so much power that the front wheel drive car had traction issues, in that case the awd car would win, from a dig its obvious the awd car would win. Once you dyno the car being it awd the awd loss is already figured in the dyno numbers so a 200awhp car vs a 200fwhp or 200rwhp car will be the same from a roll if every other factor is the same, i would say the awd car having the same wheel hp and everything else being the same would always have a slight advantage because it would have the least traction issues in any situation. As for our cars i know that the gearing in my 05 has as much to do with the top end as the awd drivetrain loss.
    Quote Originally Posted by enash99 View Post
    i dont know that i agree, maybe im getting this confused but lets take two 2003 wrx's mod them both to cobb stage 2 ap, dyno them at lets say 230 awhp. and then you take out the rear drive shaft, (lets assume you could just do this) i still think that the 230 fwhp will pull on the top end. certianly the tune would be all fooked up with the load being all out of whack from the lose of the 2 rear wheels.

This is something that i would luv to see in a controlled test environment with a control and then the test senerio. Im sure someone has documented this b4. Maybe taking a awd car and did a 0-100 like 10 times then took the average and then swapped to a RWD or FWD and did the 0-100 10 times again and looked at the diff in the averages..

cant 4eats become 2wd with the relay trick?
    I've heard both points over the past couple years. It's tough to say, that's why I asked. Hopefully some more people will chime in... However, I do KNOW the WRX's gearing is what kills its "highway pep."

A friend's friend (that I've never met) down in Georgia has a FWD-converted WRX. I saw progress pictures of it being done. Perhaps someone down there with equal mods and an equal tune could run him from a roll...
    2006 Panty Dropper

"I want to die peacefully in my sleep, like my grandfather. Not screaming in terror like his passengers."

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by enash99 View Post
    i dont know that i agree, maybe im getting this confused but lets take two 2003 wrx's mod them both to cobb stage 2 ap, dyno them at lets say 230 awhp. and then you take out the rear drive shaft, (lets assume you could just do this) i still think that the 230 fwhp will pull on the top end. certianly the tune would be all fooked up with the load being all out of whack from the lose of the 2 rear wheels.

This is something that i would luv to see in a controlled test environment with a control and then the test senerio. Im sure someone has documented this b4. Maybe taking a awd car and did a 0-100 like 10 times then took the average and then swapped to a RWD or FWD and did the 0-100 10 times again and looked at the diff in the averages..

cant 4eats become 2wd with the relay trick?
    Well im not sure i agree either lol, a dyno takes away the power loss that the awd has already so its included in the awhp numbers. A 200awhp wrx compared to a 200fwhp car is really comparing a 250hp car to a 230hp car, now if the gearing is all the same and the weight and everything else they should be dead even no reason not to, they are both putting down the same exact power to the wheels so the negative effects of losing power to the wheels from awd is not an issue since the awd car actually has more power to the crank so that when it reaches the wheels its the same power. The only advantage would be the traction of the awd car. Just find some dyno numbers and see a stock 02 wrx dynos at around 170awhp what does a stock 1.8T dyno at? They both trap around the same speed, i know they are totally different cars with different gearing and different weights, but i think they both trap around the same mph.
    2005 WRX (Short throw shifter, lightweight pulley,STI Splitters,Tein H-Tech springs,Up/Down Pipe, ERZ Catback, Cobb Stage 2, ASA JH8 with Yokohama ES 100s) 13.680@100.46mph

Registered User farBeyondDriven's Avatar
    Well im not sure i agree either lol, a dyno takes away the power loss that the awd has already so its included in the awhp numbers. A 200awhp wrx compared to a 200fwhp car is really comparing a 250hp car to a 230hp car, now if the gearing is all the same and the weight and everything else they should be dead even no reason not to, they are both putting down the same exact power to the wheels so the negative effects of losing power to the wheels from awd is not an issue since the awd car actually has more power to the crank so that when it reaches the wheels its the same power. The only advantage would be the traction of the awd car. Just find some dyno numbers and see a stock 02 wrx dynos at around 170awhp what does a stock 1.8T dyno at? They both trap around the same speed, i know they are totally different cars with different gearing and different weights, but i think they both trap around the same mph.
    Bone stock, the 1st generation 1.8T had 150hp at the crank (130whp +/- 5whp depending on conditions and dyno) and the 2nd generation 1.8T had 180hp at the crank (160whp +/- 5whp depending on conditions and dyno).
    2006 Panty Dropper

"I want to die peacefully in my sleep, like my grandfather. Not screaming in terror like his passengers."

I agree. I think the awd lose on a roll is Its all in the gears and cd.

Nice!
    2003 Platinum Silver Metalic Sedan
    VF-34 Powered
    My Mods
    Quote Originally Posted by Yossarian
    Even if your car was stock, your chances of warranty coverage are about as good as a retarded chimp trying to do a calculus problem while high on pcp.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12