WARNING: Mad Ricers in MK5 GTI 2.0T's - Page 4
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

This is a discussion on WARNING: Mad Ricers in MK5 GTI 2.0T's within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally Posted by MJez Well speak for yourself because i think VW is the biggest pile of **** ever made, ...

Registered User farBeyondDriven's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MJez View Post
    Well speak for yourself because i think VW is the biggest pile of **** ever made, im not knocking perfromance they are great there. But in the year of 1999 VW went down the ****ter big time. Reliability sucks, i had a 1.8T jetta a 2002. That POS ate 3 quarts of oil in 2k miles, and yes it was properly broken, bought it brand new. Maybe they changed now but i will never ever own a german car because all of their well known problems. Even my 19 year old Buick GN on its original motor doesent burn oil. VW/Audi FTL
    I completely agree. I know TONS of people with VWs and at least 3/4's of them have had problems before 50k miles. In fact, my one friend with a 2001 Jetta 1.8T who isn't even into cars, knows absolutely nothing about cars, drives like a grandmom, etc., went through 3 engines and 2 turbos (all replaced under warranty with a hard fight of course). I'm not exaggerating either, my guess is they just half-assed the new engines when they installed them. Not to mention all the stupid little things that went wrong along the way.

My wrapsheet - 2000 Jetta 2.0L (suppositely a very reliable motor)...
    - 20k = front brake problems, driver side door lock starts acting up (will only lock with key manually), driver side door starts leaking water into cabin in the rain (top of door/window frame starting bending out for some reason?? apparently i read this frequently happens to Audi's and older Porsche's as well)
    - 42k = blown cat
    - ~50k = valve cover gasket starts spewing oil
    - 60k = "plastic propelled" water pump breaks into 3 pieces (put new "metal propelled" water pump in, changed the timing belt, thermostat, serp. belt, etc. - was a pain in the ass)
    - 70k = valve cover gasket oil leak starts getting bad so i replace the gasket only to find out the bolts on the valve cover were finger tight (that good 'ol German-engineered / Mexican-assembled combination) also changed spark plugs while i was in there, that was fun - the whole intake manifold had to come off to get to them, spark plug wires broke when i removed them (ceramic coating on the inside?), dealership gave me updated wires with metal coating since they obviously had problems with them
    - 85k = tried to do a tranny service on the auto tranny but it's sealed, could have done it myself but looked at the DIY and started getting suicidal, took it to a tranny place they told me only the dealer could do it, took it to the dealer, $365 for new fluids, gasket, etc. - what a deal! also around this time the overhead domelight's switch just fell off... some pieces of copper were floating around up there and shorted the fuse which disable my entire car (had no idea fuse was associated with the alarm, i tried jumping it - i was stumped), so it wouldn't start, locks didn't work...searched VWVortex for a day until i found someone else with the same problem, started pulling fuses and found and replaced it, car started right up

Sorry for the novel, there's way more problems to that car but they're just the major ones on the top of my head.

Quote Originally Posted by Bboy AJ View Post
    The MkV have been out in Europe for awhile and they're doing quite well. So don't slam VW MkV reliability just yet. The MkV GTI is a sweet package, which is why I put a deposit down on one. It's just that, to me, the WRX is a better car. And it is a fact that it is faster. Plus, FWD is the least of my wheel drive picks.
    Let's wait around and see what problems arise in the MK5. Someone I know with a chipped 2.0T had fuel issues, but I think it was more or less the chip's fault.

Consumer Reports gave the MK5's a pretty bad rating if I recall correctly. Good safety ratings but that's about it.
    Last edited by farBeyondDriven; 12-28-2006 at 01:14 PM.
    2006 Panty Dropper

"I want to die peacefully in my sleep, like my grandfather. Not screaming in terror like his passengers."

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by farBeyondDriven View Post
    I completely agree. I know TONS of people with VWs and at least 3/4's of them have had problems before 50k miles. In fact, my one friend with a 2001 Jetta 1.8T who isn't even into cars, knows absolutely nothing about cars, drives like a grandmom, etc., went through 3 engines and 2 turbos (all replaced under warranty with a hard fight of course). I'm not exaggerating either, my guess is they just half-assed the new engines when they installed them. Not to mention all the stupid little things that went wrong along the way.

My wrapsheet - 2000 Jetta 2.0L (suppositely a very reliable motor)...
    - 20k = front brake problems, driver side door lock starts acting up (will only lock with key manually), driver side door starts leaking water into cabin in the rain (top of door/window frame starting bending out for some reason?? apparently i read this frequently happens to Audi's and older Porsche's as well)
    - 42k = blown cat
    - ~50k = valve cover gasket starts spewing oil
    - 60k = "plastic propelled" water pump breaks into 3 pieces (put new "metal propelled" water pump in, changed the timing belt, thermostat, serp. belt, etc. - was a pain in the ass)
    - 70k = valve cover gasket oil leak starts getting bad so i replace the gasket only to find out the bolts on the valve cover were finger tight (that good 'ol German-engineered / Mexican-assembled combination) also changed spark plugs while i was in there, that was fun - the whole intake manifold had to come off to get to them, spark plug wires broke when i removed them (ceramic coating on the inside?), dealership gave me updated wires with metal coating since they obviously had problems with them
    - 85k = tried to do a tranny service on the auto tranny but it's sealed, could have done it myself but looked at the DIY and started getting suicidal, took it to a tranny place they told me only the dealer could do it, took it to the dealer, $365 for new fluids, gasket, etc. - what a deal! also around this time the overhead domelight's switch just fell off... some pieces of copper were floating around up there and shorted the fuse which disable my entire car (had no idea fuse was associated with the alarm, i tried jumping it - i was stumped), so it wouldn't start, locks didn't work...searched VWVortex for a day until i found someone else with the same problem, started pulling fuses and found and replaced it, car started right up

Sorry for the novel, there's way more problems to that car but they're just the major ones on the top of my head.

Let's wait around and see what problems arise in the MK5. Someone I know with a chipped 2.0T had fuel issues, but I think it was more or less the chip's fault.

Consumer Reports gave the MK5's a pretty bad rating if I recall correctly. Good safety ratings but that's about it.

Wow sounds like you had a lemon. I also had a 2.0 8v, with supercharger and etc. never had any problems with it and I had over 150k on it, but did go through a couple trannys That car ran strong for so long. But I decided to sale it for my gti.

Im sure wrx has there problems also, but is still a good car right?

My family has a 2slow MkIV Golf. We bought it used and it runs commutes to and from Rutgers (~50 miles round trip, I think) without any problems.
    2006 WRX TR

Quote Originally Posted by Bboy AJ View Post
    My family has a 2slow MkIV Golf. We bought it used and it runs commutes to and from Rutgers (~50 miles round trip, I think) without any problems.
    RUTGERS!!! YEAH!

/hijack

VWs are nice...
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #088
    2006 WRX Tr Stage 2

Being a former dubber, I can promise that a 2.0T will not touch a wrx. With a chip, intake and exhaust it could be close on a roll. Anything from a dig and the vw wont have a chance. The DSG will shift faster than the manual, so in this case auto>manual.

Quote Originally Posted by VDUBHEAD View Post
    Wow sounds like you had a lemon. I also had a 2.0 8v, with supercharger and etc. never had any problems with it and I had over 150k on it, but did go through a couple trannys That car ran strong for so long. But I decided to sale it for my gti.

Im sure wrx has there problems also, but is still a good car right?
    Never had any problems although you went through "a couple of trannys"? I would have to say that's a problem.

As for me having a lemon, yeah it was a lemon. As well as over half of my friends' MK4 VWs. MK4s suck in terms of reliabilty, ESPECIALLY the 1.8T's before MY2002.5...

Quote Originally Posted by WRX88 View Post
    RUTGERS!!! YEAH!
    Rowan U. FTW!
    Last edited by farBeyondDriven; 12-29-2006 at 08:12 AM.
    2006 Panty Dropper

"I want to die peacefully in my sleep, like my grandfather. Not screaming in terror like his passengers."

Quote Originally Posted by Pavia View Post
    If it was a VW, wouldn't they be a "Sour-Kraut" instead of a "Mad Ricer"?
    you made milk come out of my nose!
    New EnglandF4
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #010

Yeah, the people who give some sort of acknolgement are cool. I raced a GTO from a 60mph and hung with him pretty well, he had to have an automatic because otherwise I should have been in his dust. I think it was an LS2 GTO, b/c it looked like he had some LS2 forum stickers on his window. He gave me the thumbs up and went on his way...

When I said "mad ricers" I meant "alot of ricers", forgive my slang. But yes, I see what you're saying. Personally, I'd call them strudel burners.
    Black GTO? I saw one of those with LS2 stickers too...DEEEEEEEEEEEEP and loud exhaust...it was kinda sweet...

I too am a former VW owner...I bought a 2003 GLI 6-speed VR6...nice car and was very reliable until 20k miles after I bought it. I had read a lot about electrical problems in Jettas. The engine was an absolute beast however. But I started to see the electrical problems when my car would die out of nowhere. It would shut off completely when I would stop at a light or when I would turn it on, it would need a jump start after an hour of not driving...all sorts of weird stuff. I got a new battery, had the alternator changed, etc. So I said screw it in October...and bought my Limited!!!!!!!! FTW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

VWs aren't bad...just misunderstood!!! hahaha...my ex GF has an 05 Jetta 2.5 and its a very nice car, inside and out...I am impressed with it. But VWs have always been known to cause some problems in their first model years when they make a lot of drastic changes...

Nothing beats the way the interior lights up with the red and blue...always the best part of a VW...
    Last edited by Mikie13; 12-29-2006 at 02:25 PM.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    Black GTO? I saw one of those with LS2 stickers too...DEEEEEEEEEEEEP and loud exhaust...it was kinda sweet...
    Nah, it was blue. Just saw the stickers, not sure if he had mods or not. I don't remember hearing a super-loud exhaust...although I definietly could hear his V8 over my engine.
    2006 Panty Dropper

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post

Nothing beats the way the interior lights up with the red and blue...always the best part of a VW...
    They make the interior nice so you're comfortable waiting for roadside assistance.

Never had any problems although you went through "a couple of trannys"? I would have to say that's a problem.

As for me having a lemon, yeah it was a lemon. As well as over half of my friends' MK4 VWs. MK4s suck in terms of reliabilty, ESPECIALLY the 1.8T's before MY2002.5...

Rowan U. FTW!
    Well the 2liter 8v has a poor tranny and pluse the way I abused it at the time dident help much any way.

Quote Originally Posted by spoolinup View Post
    Being a former dubber, I can promise that a 2.0T will not touch a wrx. With a chip, intake and exhaust it could be close on a roll. Anything from a dig and the vw wont have a chance. The DSG will shift faster than the manual, so in this case auto>manual.
    Yeah of course a 2.0T cant touch a wrx from a dig chipped or not, but from a roll or on the high way and the 2liter was chipped I would have to give it to the gti cause its putting down a little bit more horses.

Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex View Post
    They make the interior nice so you're comfortable waiting for roadside assistance.
    Just call me Clark Kent
    ---------------------------------------
    Offical Body Guard for the Bugeye Mafia.

Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex View Post
    hahaha +1

I didn't like how flat and vertically straight down the CD Deck and controls were though...I like when they are angled up towards the people inside the car
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

Volkswagen GTI named Automobile Magazine's Car of the Year for 2007
    Last edited by VDUBHEAD; 12-30-2006 at 03:40 PM.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast