Gtp
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on Gtp within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; anyone ever have any runs with any? friend of mine is lookin to get an 03-04 GTP and maybe do ...

Gtp

anyone ever have any runs with any? friend of mine is lookin to get an 03-04 GTP and maybe do a few things to it over summer. just curious how it would match up against a 05 wrx stage 2. anyone have any experience?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

im sure u would beat it
    2005 Ubaru Impreza WRX Sedan Crystal Grey Metallic
    Mods: In my profile
    http://www.myspace.com/scottycruz

an easy kill for a 06
    Vag-eye Militia #1
    Military Militia #3

Quote Originally Posted by WRXED06 View Post
    an easy kill for a 06
    + 1
    Army Ranger For Life ! Thin Blue Line
    Military Militia # 1911/ Blobeye Syndicate # 1911/ Modifier's Anonymous # 1911/ Hawk-Eye Alliance # 1911
    All We'll Drive
    DIFFERENT STROKES
    EVEN MY DENTIST TOLD ME FLOSS 7 DAYS A WEEK
    POST WH0RE KING

yes easy kill for the 06, but wut about the 05 with stage 2 and better tires

doesn't matter what year wrx. At stage2 you will waste it. The GTP's can be fast with exhaust and pulley work, but with that (your average mods) they only run lower 14's @ 97/98.

If he is stock, you will destroy him.. if he does basic mods, you will beat him.
    Just call me Clark Kent
    ---------------------------------------
    Offical Body Guard for the Bugeye Mafia.

thanx for the uplifting words, any other opinions? they r sayin they cant wait to walk a little 4 banger...guess ill have to run em and see

uke
    Stock, you would beat him easily. They are "typically" high 14 sec cars bone stock, with a few getting mid 14's.

If he's modded...depends on how much. Less than $500 in mods (pulley swap, reprogrammed PCM, intake/exhaust) can be good for high 13's easy. If he's got headers, rockers/cam, and maybe an intercooler, it would be good for high 12's or better.

If he's stock though, and you're stage 2 (what do stg 2's run, mid 13's?) it should be an easy win for you.
    06 GTO - yeah, it's pretty quick
    Grand Prix GTP-gone

Quote Originally Posted by uke View Post
    Stock, you would beat him easily. They are "typically" high 14 sec cars bone stock, with a few getting mid 14's.

If he's modded...depends on how much. Less than $500 in mods (pulley swap, reprogrammed PCM, intake/exhaust) can be good for high 13's easy. If he's got headers, rockers/cam, and maybe an intercooler, it would be good for high 12's or better.

If he's stock though, and you're stage 2 (what do stg 2's run, mid 13's?) it should be an easy win for you.
    If driven correctly stage2 is worth low 13's consistantly.

Yeah, GTP's can be fast with some mods, but once the mileage piles up they tend to get slower. I have seen numerous GTP's run a certain time consistantly with 50-60k miles, and then with the same mods and 110k+ miles they lose nearly half a second. Kinda strange, maybe from the s/c'r not creating boost as well
    Just call me Clark Kent

i played with one on the highway in 4th gear, everytime i stepped on the gas i would easily pull away with out even making my car work hard.. i slowed up and stayed beside him from 80 to 100 and i was using just a tad over half throttle. anything above that and i would pull away..

jsut and fyi..
    2003 Platinum Silver Metalic Sedan
    VF-34 Powered
    My Mods
    Quote Originally Posted by Yossarian
    Even if your car was stock, your chances of warranty coverage are about as good as a retarded chimp trying to do a calculus problem while high on pcp.

uke
    Quote Originally Posted by DTR rex View Post
    If driven correctly stage2 is worth low 13's consistantly.

Yeah, GTP's can be fast with some mods, but once the mileage piles up they tend to get slower. I have seen numerous GTP's run a certain time consistantly with 50-60k miles, and then with the same mods and 110k+ miles they lose nearly half a second. Kinda strange, maybe from the s/c'r not creating boost as well
    Interesting. I could see if the s/c rotors are not sealing as well, then some of the boost could be leaking off and not getting into the engine. Only other reason I'd think of would be gradual loss of compression, which is rare with these engines (make fun of the build quality all you want, but the 3800 is a damn reliable and long lasting engine, capable of taking much abuse).

I know one thing that people don't pay good attention to is if their cat clogs (mine did), it would result in really degraded performance. Simple fix is, of course, just taking the cat out

As for my car, I'm at about 126K miles currently and I'm making the same amount of boost as before, and my compression still good. I wonder if there's a correlation between not maintaining it and loss of performance?

enash99: Just out of curiousity, what are you running in the 1/4 mile? Stock gtp's are known for having terrible top end, as they're pretty choked off both in exhaust and valvetrain. My top end is 200% improved after getting headers, opening the exhaust and getting a bigger cam.

edit: after looking at your mods, I'd certainly hope you could walk away from a stock or mildly modded GTP. :P Kinda like bragging about taking a stock civic in an STI. (ok, ok, maybe not THAT bad)
    Last edited by uke; 12-12-2006 at 02:24 PM.
    Grand Prix GTP-gone

Quote Originally Posted by uke View Post
    Interesting. I could see if the s/c rotors are not sealing as well, then some of the boost could be leaking off and not getting into the engine. Only other reason I'd think of would be gradual loss of compression, which is rare with these engines (make fun of the build quality all you want, but the 3800 is a damn reliable and long lasting engine, capable of taking much abuse).

I know one thing that people don't pay good attention to is if their cat clogs (mine did), it would result in really degraded performance. Simple fix is, of course, just taking the cat out

As for my car, I'm at about 126K miles currently and I'm making the same amount of boost as before, and my compression still good. I wonder if there's a correlation between not maintaining it and loss of performance?

enash99: Just out of curiousity, what are you running in the 1/4 mile? Stock gtp's are known for having terrible top end, as they're pretty choked off both in exhaust and valvetrain. My top end is 200% improved after getting headers, opening the exhaust and getting a bigger cam.

edit: after looking at your mods, I'd certainly hope you could walk away from a stock or mildly modded GTP. :P Kinda like bragging about taking a stock civic in an STI. (ok, ok, maybe not THAT bad)

All very valid points. I know the 3800 is a strong engine, my mom's old GTP that I drove for a while went upto 120k before it was seeing problems and all the problems were with other stuff like the suspension and interior.

So yeah, I doubt it was loss of compression with the engine, but it seems (in more than one case) the superchargers seem to lose their "ooomph". Perhaps that is a correlation to lack of proper maintenance though.
    Just call me Clark Kent

the 3800 is a beast with a crapload of mods...a lot of ppl dont realize the power you can get out of those...

my friend has a GTP with WPI ported/polished supercharger, borla exhaust, MAP intercooler, northstar TB, and ported EM...

also, the Ford 24v DOHC is a beast...found in the taurus and the Mercury sable uses it as well...
    **** off with your candy paint jobs and spoilers that are 8x too big , I say never be complete, I say stop being perfect, I say let... lets evolve, let the chips fall where they may.

uke
    Quote Originally Posted by motormike View Post
    the 3800 is a beast with a crapload of mods...a lot of ppl dont realize the power you can get out of those...

my friend has a GTP with WPI ported/polished supercharger, borla exhaust, MAP intercooler, northstar TB, and ported EM...

also, the Ford 24v DOHC is a beast...found in the taurus and the Mercury sable uses it as well...
    I got all that minus the intercooler (add in headers and cam). I can vouch that it definately wakes the car up. I think i'm running too big a s/c pulley currently and can go down to a smaller size (scans are showing no knock retard currently). My goal for this car is to achieve a 12.99 timeslip (then again, I said that for getting a 13.99, and see where that got me )
    Grand Prix GTP-gone

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by motormike View Post

That is probably the first time I've ever heard that

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast