06 sti vs 06 wrx le stg2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on 06 sti vs 06 wrx le stg2 within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; i just finished my break in period on sat. so what the next item but to compare my stock 06 ...

06 sti vs 06 wrx le stg2

i just finished my break in period on sat. so what the next item but to compare my stock 06 sti "it has that lame wing, and it doesnt have a moonroof" to my roommate's 06 wrx LE with cobb catted DP, AP stg2, and stock CBE. we did a 20 roll, i was in 2nd gear i think (maybe wrong gear i dunno) he said he was in 1st (yea i suck). on three honks were off. he pulls 1/2 car ahead thru 2nd, shift to 3rd i catch him and put a 1/2 car on him. 4th i would have ran away and i hit the brakes. we were both surprised it was close and that he pulled so hard early on. i think i might have been in the wrong gear, but first is so short. and his DP allows him to spool around 3k instead of mine seeming like 3800. i need to work on shifting but was this the correct outcome? all in all im so glad i went with the 6 speed with the great handling, the nice sports car rattles, and the amazing diff that loves the snow. i def. made the right choice. :thumbup

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

You definately did make the right choice!

Since he is stage 2... He should have about 224 whp and 271 wtq... and a stock sti should have about the same whp maybe a little more but less wtq... I think the torque is why he pulled on you early... and having a five speed over a six would mean that he would have to shift less... but your turbo is bigger for more top end... should be a pretty close race either way in my opinion... congrats on two nice cars!!
    Last edited by Ret030; 12-05-2006 at 12:15 PM.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #17!
    2006 Crystal Gray Metallic WRX- Stage 2
    Mods: Invidia Turboback (w/ cat and resonator), Kartboy short-throw shifter, Prodrive Lowering Springs, STi Limited Front Lip, Cusco Rear Swaybar (adj.), Greddy Front/Rear Strut bars, 8k H.I.D.'s, and Cobb AP!

yeah our garage rocks

we also noticed when messing around in a parking lot that his car understeers a lot more than mine. must be the all-seasons.

Yeah... I hear the tires pretty much blow for the 06... but they really help me here in Erie, PA... we have about 8 inches of snow on the ground right now!! haha... gotta love it! Glad I have a subie!!
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #17!
    2006 Crystal Gray Metallic WRX- Stage 2
    Mods: Invidia Turboback (w/ cat and resonator), Kartboy short-throw shifter, Prodrive Lowering Springs, STi Limited Front Lip, Cusco Rear Swaybar (adj.), Greddy Front/Rear Strut bars, 8k H.I.D.'s, and Cobb AP!

i will agree to that. while my car was in the garage waiting for snow tires, he got to enjoy 4 wheel drifting the only snow so far in boulder. i was so jealous sitting passenger in a pt cruiser teaching the gf to snow drive. and now that my tires are on, its not supposed to snow until dec 13th.

on my local dyno on the same day, an stock STi did 238 hp, 231 torque and being on stg. 2 I did 223 hp, 270 torque. So yes, early on the Stg. 2 06 WRX can take an STi, but in the long run the STi will catch up and eventually pass. Especially since I run out of breath from 5k-ish on... overall, would be a nice close race though!

I do have tranny envy though
    Last edited by drummerboy; 12-05-2006 at 02:40 PM.
    2006 WRX - World Rally Blue

yeah he has diff envy. and after last night he has 4 wheel slide envy (his car just understeered, needs more cowbell.)

I don't know about the 06 STi's, but Stage 2 I'm pulling on Evo VIII's and MR's from a roll, and beating blobeye STi's from any speed we raced.

Is the 06 sti faster than the 05?
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #027

95 Mitsu 3000GT TT Sable Black
    2006 WRX TR Crystal Gray Metallic

http://img109.imageshack.us/img109/3...dwrxsig5yd.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by ShardAerithes View Post
    I don't know about the 06 STi's, but Stage 2 I'm pulling on Evo VIII's and MR's from a roll, and beating blobeye STi's from any speed we raced.

Is the 06 sti faster than the 05?
    I don't think so. The only real difference was torque distribution. I'm not sure about gearing though?

06 WRXs are really capable on Stg.2 and I don't think its surprising you were taking the mitsus and other STis. The torque is about 340-ish lb-ft at the crank compared to 300 with the STI. Its only if you keep going and going will they catch up and pass -- after all, they have more HP. Modded STIs and mitsus... that's another story heheh.
    Last edited by drummerboy; 12-05-2006 at 06:52 PM.
    2006 WRX - World Rally Blue

Yeah, I always hope that I don't run into a modded STi or Evo some day... I want to get a VF39 and an STi tmic as my next mods...

but I have a 3000GT in the garage which should take care of 03 S/C Cobra's, Vipers and the such... so maybe i'm expecting too much from my daily driver

Oh yeah I forgot, 3000GT's are only fast when they're running. Considering that mine has mods to it... thats a rare occurance.

Although if you want a car which will teach you how to be a mechanic, the 3000GT is it.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #027

95 Mitsu 3000GT TT Sable Black
    2006 WRX TR Crystal Gray Metallic

http://img109.imageshack.us/img109/3...dwrxsig5yd.jpg

i wasnt surprised he pulled initially. he starts spooling below 3000 rpm, where i barely feel anything until 3k. hes making max boost way before me as well, and like they said, making more crank tq. we went from a low roll giving him the adv. and i was passing him at the top of 3rd so it doesnt take long to catch up but its cool the 06 wrx's have such potential. i hope to be stg 2 by feb and protuned by march. icant even imagine the diff. i will feel. unfortunately roomy wants to get a 20g so that will be the end for me, but thats ok i like the daily driver power of the vf39 and the early spool (once the dp is on). sti ftw

I had a similar experience last night so I thought I would throw it up here.

I spotted an '06 or '07 STI last night on the ride home. It looked very stock save the tinted windows. I pulled up next to him, gave a nod and floored it in third. He pulled right up behind me as I stayed on full throttle through 3rd, 4th and into 5th. He remained planted there the entire time.

I don't know how hard he was pushing his car, but I was definitely not pulling away from him.

I think I surprised him though considering my car looks 100% stock.
    Cobb Stage 2 '06 WRX, Aspen White & Wingless
    --------------------------------------------
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #026

He is making more torque and his gearing is better for that low-end 1st gear start which is why he pulled right away. You are making more whp with better upper-end gearing which is why you pulled through 3rd and 4th gear.
    Just call me Clark Kent
    ---------------------------------------
    Offical Body Guard for the Bugeye Mafia.

Registered User farBeyondDriven's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cathode View Post
    I had a similar experience last night so I thought I would throw it up here.

I spotted an '06 or '07 STI last night on the ride home. It looked very stock save the tinted windows. I pulled up next to him, gave a nod and floored it in third. He pulled right up behind me as I stayed on full throttle through 3rd, 4th and into 5th. He remained planted there the entire time.

I don't know how hard he was pushing his car, but I was definitely not pulling away from him.

I think I surprised him though considering my car looks 100% stock.
    Did the STi have the big STi wing?

Not positive about the '07 STi's but I know the '07 STi Limiteds have the VF43 and something is different with the heads. They're putting down crazy whp & wtq. numbers bone stock...

Stock = 242whp & 245wtq.
    Headers + TBE + Stock ECU Map = 282whp & 284wtq.
    Headers + TBE + Custom Tune by TopSpeed = 319whp & 398wtq.

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show....php?t=1151951

Now I am definitely thinking of picking up an STi Limited instead of waiting for the '08 STi.
    2006 Panty Dropper

"I want to die peacefully in my sleep, like my grandfather. Not screaming in terror like his passengers."

Quote Originally Posted by farBeyondDriven View Post
    Did the STi have the big STi wing?

Not positive about the '07 STi's but I know the '07 STi Limiteds have the VF43 and something is different with the heads. They're putting down crazy whp & wtq. numbers bone stock...

Stock = 242whp & 245wtq.
    Headers + TBE + Stock ECU Map = 282whp & 284wtq.
    Headers + TBE + Custom Tune by TopSpeed = 319whp & 398wtq.

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show....php?t=1151951

Now I am definitely thinking of picking up an STi Limited instead of waiting for the '08 STi.
    Yep, had the wing. It wasn't a Limited.
    Cobb Stage 2 '06 WRX, Aspen White & Wingless
    --------------------------------------------
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #026

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast