35R STI vs. Stock Turbo EVO
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

This is a discussion on 35R STI vs. Stock Turbo EVO within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zw2GcwuDkqs all i have to say is wow.......

35R STI vs. Stock Turbo EVO

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zw2GcwuDkqs

all i have to say is wow....
    Graphite Grey Evo 9

-1600 dollars in Mods...

equals 11.86....and only getting lower....

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Wow...

Since the STI is throwing down more horsepower, what could account for the difference? Gearing? Spool-up? Maybe even the old stand-by - driver?

Whatever it was, I'm curious as to what mods the Evo is sporting.
    "The way a press launch for a new car works is, a car manufacturer flies a group of automotive journalists to a nice location, pays their expenses, wines and dines them for several days, and lets them drive the new car all over the place. Then they go home and write objective stories."

- Dave Barry

i think it has to do with gearing, the quick spool of the stock turbo, and since they haven't upgraded the turbo i believe the evo is running FULL Bolt-On's...and maybe an aggresive tune....but yea i was shocked when i saw it pull that hard
    Graphite Grey Evo 9

-1600 dollars in Mods...

Quote Originally Posted by sliqdaddy91 View Post
    i think it has to do with gearing, the quick spool of the stock turbo, and since they haven't upgraded the turbo i believe the evo is running FULL Bolt-On's...and maybe an aggresive tune....but yea i was shocked when i saw it pull that hard
    380whp on pump gas? from all the stock turbo evo's i have seen with that much power, they all have water injection and/or race gas to get to that level

also, looking at the video. that STI seams slow for having 400+whp. perhaps it has a .63ar exhaust housing? from one shot you can see the rpm gauge on the sti and it just doesnt really move fast in the upper rpms. it could be that the power peaks quickly(as far as a gt35 can go anyway) and falls off fast because of the small ar.

oh well, evo FTW
    Anthony

Banned
    DSMs are fast period, but subie just feels better. DSM has always responded well to cheap bolt-on mods without much else and they perform beautifully. But yeah the subie is just a more refined machine and they can still hang with them and beat them at times, the evos that is. I mean you are looking at a guy who was gonna buy an evo but after careful consideration bought a subie wagon instead. WHy you ask???? AS I know some people may be asking. Well the wagon is way more practical for a daily driver period and still gives you that fun when you want it to. Evo is for a much different purpose.

Whatever it is, it's safe to say that two cars that weigh close to the same thing with similar gearing should not have those results when one car is making ~ 40 more hp than the other. We know the 2.5 liter isn't short on torque either so that's not it. Maybe one of the dynos was a little optimistic?

Also, I'll never understand why people feel the need to dig up some techno or grunge-sounding song for their videos. Just show us the damn racing - we don't need a score to go along with it! Maybe I'll re-edit some race videos and put elevator music in the background

The Evo gets basically a 4g63 with a big 16g. DSMs ran 11s on that combination 10-12 years ago so it's not surprising that Evo's make that kind of power today with shorter gearing and more tunability.
    John M
    2000 Lincoln Continental - slow DD with the DOHC 4.6 and a Superchips tune
    1992 Lexus SC400 - slow resto project
    2005 Legacy GT Limited - SOLD Feb 2011 - Forged internals, FP HTA Green @ 22 psi.

Quote Originally Posted by Antyoo View Post
    380whp on pump gas? from all the stock turbo evo's i have seen with that much power, they all have water injection and/or race gas to get to that level

also, looking at the video. that STI seams slow for having 400+whp. perhaps it has a .63ar exhaust housing? from one shot you can see the rpm gauge on the sti and it just doesnt really move fast in the upper rpms. it could be that the power peaks quickly(as far as a gt35 can go anyway) and falls off fast because of the small ar.

oh well, evo FTW
    ElectricEvo's known to have one of the highest pump gas cars.

Quote Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
    ElectricEvo's known to have one of the highest pump gas cars.
    really ?
    Army Ranger For Life ! Thin Blue Line
    Military Militia # 1911/ Blobeye Syndicate # 1911/ Modifier's Anonymous # 1911/ Hawk-Eye Alliance # 1911
    All We'll Drive
    DIFFERENT STROKES
    EVEN MY DENTIST TOLD ME FLOSS 7 DAYS A WEEK
    POST WH0RE KING

Weird outcome. But the STi power seems to be way too low for a 35r doesn't it? I would expect at least high 400s would be the norm.
    Current Vehicle: 2006 Volvo S60 R Sonic Blue/Atacama
    SOLD:
    2006 Graphite Gray Evo IX
    2004 STi
    2003 SVT Cobra
    2003 SVT Lightning
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffbmx00 View Post
    my friend has a 5.0 too, they are slow, the only way to decently make them fast is to drop a v8 explorer engine in them.

If they ran from a 70mph roll the STi takes it! The gearing on the Sti is better anyway 4th gear is a perfect 1:1 ratio

Graphite Grey Evo 9

-1600 dollars in Mods...

Losing to a car with 37 less awhp and probably less torque = teh suck
    Originally posted by BlkWrxWag:
    You will not have these performance issues if you stick to racing in school zones. The WRX ECU is specially tuned to recognize these areas and increase boost accordingly.

boo

no way that STi had a 35R on it.
    the driver was shifting slow as heck and the acceleration was that of a all motor civic.

he is either lying and/or needs a retune then learn how to shift.

2 thumbs up for the Evo.
    2002 WRX silver
    -281HP/258TQ @ 16 psi

That is my buddy Tom, he has basic bolton's and a custom 02 DUMP. He just ran at Atco this weekend, 118MPH on 93 Octane, all with tuning, the Stock Evo turbo IS VERY capable and flows 550 CFM's not to Mention it is FREEZING so that makes Even my Stock Evo IX a wheel peeler. Also he has the gearing advantage especially 3rd and 5th and the 2.0 powerband just REELS man. Toms car is running good and he is making a SOLID 380WHP, no joke.

I am making a solid 250 whp Stock
    Got no religion; don't need no friends
    Got all I want and I don't need to pretend
    Don't try to reach me 'cos I'll tear up your mind
    I've seen the future and I've left it behind

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.