35R STI vs. Stock Turbo EVO - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

This is a discussion on 35R STI vs. Stock Turbo EVO within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; hey man in regards to my mods...Buschur/Warrtalon Stage 1, 02 Housing, HPF LICP, Ported Mani, and Buschur Racing Intake System ...

hey man in regards to my mods...Buschur/Warrtalon Stage 1, 02 Housing, HPF LICP, Ported Mani, and Buschur Racing Intake System and a Tune...um the last two bolt on mods i just put on and haven't ran at the track yet with them 1600 dollars includes the Intake and the Ported Mani, whereas my other stuff is roughly around 1300 which put me into the 11's... um to give u an idea on how my car is i race my buddies full bolt on Evo 8 with 272 cams ( he put down 335whp) all the time and put 2-3 cars on him (keep in mind i dont' have cam's and a upgraded fmic like he does)...i think its the tune i got tho cuz knock on wood my car pulls hard all the way to the top and no problems yet (holds 23 pounds all the way to redline)...i haven't dyoned but my buddy and a lot of other fellow Michigan evo owners estimated my car to being pretty beastly..i'm talkin like 350+whp on pump...but hey i think its the tune that puts me over the edge..btw i'll keep u posted my buddy just got a 20G turbo upgrade...i'll c how i do when its all said and done
    Graphite Grey Evo 9

-1600 dollars in Mods...

equals 11.86....and only getting lower....

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Heres the answer

ok, IM SETTLING THIS, that was me in the video, yes i have a 35r, yes I CAN drive, and yes that is my "sweet" tune from automasters, thats another story, and after this morning, i found out i dont have 419whp at all. I have 330 climbing to 360 for a powerband. THATS IT. Im dropping the tune and getting retuned, the tune blows, the a/frs were different each pull. I have the sheets to prove im making really shotty power with a peak for a split second near 400.
    Blobeye Syndicate #17

Quote Originally Posted by Cuztom15 View Post
    ok, IM SETTLING THIS, that was me in the video, yes i have a 35r, yes I CAN drive, and yes that is my "sweet" tune from automasters, thats another story, and after this morning, i found out i dont have 419whp at all. I have 330 climbing to 360 for a powerband. THATS IT. Im dropping the tune and getting retuned, the tune blows, the a/frs were different each pull. I have the sheets to prove im making really shotty power with a peak for a split second near 400.
    Can't wait to see you get that thing finished Anthony

I'll stick with my OTS vf34 map for now, if I kill my WRX - I'd be driving the Z, and that's no fun. (waits to see how long it takes for Cav to see this)
    Torch Red 2002 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 46k mi.
    Black 2002 Subaru Impreza WRX 6-speed 94k mi. my mod list
    10/08/2006 - 14.089@103.01 (5-speed with well worn clutch, no launch)
    "Six stars gleaming, five speeds breaking, four tires chirping, three differentials working, two liters screaming, one turbo boosting... it's what makes a Subaru all-wheel-drive, all we'll drive."
    for Bugeye owners my BOV thread Service Manuals

Bottom line... not that the STI is any less of a better, quality car, but EVO responds better to mods.

Move on!
    I might be back in the market for the new STI sedan!

Hey anthony, hit me up on AIM or PM me, I want to talk to you about the tune. Im having **** luck as well. Ive gone back to my old TMIC tune and everything is perfect and the car pulls hard. Im going to talk to Rob first but its nice to know Im not the only one.
    Dan- 2004 PSM 5spd

"Days get shorter, nights get longer, snow gets deeper, life gets better."

don has a craptastic tune from rob as well, don from precision tuning that is.
    Blobeye Syndicate #17

Quote Originally Posted by Antyoo View Post
    its not a 20g

its a 16g
    The VIII is a big 16G, but the IX upgraded to the 20G or big 18G, I don't remember exactly which, but it's definatly not a 16G in the IX

Quote Originally Posted by LegacyMyth View Post
    The VIII is a big 16G, but the IX upgraded to the 20G or big 18G, I don't remember exactly which, but it's definatly not a 16G in the IX
    16G

don has a craptastic tune from rob as well, don from precision tuning that is.
    Ugh, sorry to hear that about the lousy tunes. This is why I've stuck with an OTS map, it's not that I don't think it can be done. It's just that I'm not willing to front the cash for the amount of time it's going to take for someone to figure out a good tune, coupled with taking on the risks of driving on a ****ty tune and possibly having something go wrong which leads to needing to spend more money.

I tried(first turbo'd a/t 2002 protege, also the first blown FSDE engine on an a/t - damn tranny slipped and engine over revved on a few too many occasions, then one day while cruising at 80 after racing my friends boxter - BANG!) a custom kit once, and I have a friend who owns a performance shop. It's rare that the "high goals" cars go out and don't come back. Either they come back because "it's not fast enough", or they find a way to break ****. I've also seen people build something so right, only to skimp towards the end because they ran out of money. I've seen people drop 15k on an engine, then not change the oil for 8000 miles - all the while beating the piss out of it when the tune still wasn't "right".

I really hope you guys can get everything tuned and ready, the longer it takes, the more I hate to see and hear about people not getting stuff together. I've got Don's TMIC from his STI - he's a good guy, gave me a fair deal on it. With the cold weather lately, my car has been a blast to drive.
    Torch Red 2002 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 46k mi.
    Black 2002 Subaru Impreza WRX 6-speed 94k mi. my mod list
    10/08/2006 - 14.089@103.01 (5-speed with well worn clutch, no launch)
    "Six stars gleaming, five speeds breaking, four tires chirping, three differentials working, two liters screaming, one turbo boosting... it's what makes a Subaru all-wheel-drive, all we'll drive."
    for Bugeye owners my BOV thread Service Manuals

Thanks Micah.

I got tuned by Jorge (RiftsWRX on Nasioc) from P&L Motorsports out in IL when he came to Maryland back in August. I had a TMIC then and I loved the tune. Its amazing how well the car drives. It is smooth and has power any where in the rpm range, even down low. I then switched to a FMIC and got retuned by Rob and Im not so happy with it. Ive since gone back to running Jorge's map on my FMIC and the car runs great so Im ok for now but the car still has more in it.

When Precision gets a dyno Im going to try and set up a day or 2 to have Jorge come in and tune. If you dont know who he is, do some research on Nasioc and you will see that he is one of the most knowledgable, well respected tuners in the community and certainly one of the best.
    Dan- 2004 PSM 5spd

Quote Originally Posted by sliqdaddy91 View Post
    hey man in regards to my mods...Buschur/Warrtalon Stage 1, 02 Housing, HPF LICP, Ported Mani, and Buschur Racing Intake System and a Tune...um the last two bolt on mods i just put on and haven't ran at the track yet with them 1600 dollars includes the Intake and the Ported Mani, whereas my other stuff is roughly around 1300 which put me into the 11's... um to give u an idea on how my car is i race my buddies full bolt on Evo 8 with 272 cams ( he put down 335whp) all the time and put 2-3 cars on him (keep in mind i dont' have cam's and a upgraded fmic like he does)...i think its the tune i got tho cuz knock on wood my car pulls hard all the way to the top and no problems yet (holds 23 pounds all the way to redline)...i haven't dyoned but my buddy and a lot of other fellow Michigan evo owners estimated my car to being pretty beastly..i'm talkin like 350+whp on pump...but hey i think its the tune that puts me over the edge..btw i'll keep u posted my buddy just got a 20G turbo upgrade...i'll c how i do when its all said and done
    Nice! The only thing I am unsure of is to wait for the AP for the Evo, I really want that for my EM.

The Evo IX definately has a 16g with a 10.5 hotside, don't argue it.

Also, you guys with crappy tunes need to come up here to CT and go to XX tuning. They are very good with the cars. I believe the last 35r they did made around 500 at the wheels.
    Current Vehicle: 2006 Volvo S60 R Sonic Blue/Atacama
    SOLD:
    2006 Graphite Gray Evo IX
    2004 STi
    2003 SVT Cobra
    2003 SVT Lightning
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffbmx00 View Post
    my friend has a 5.0 too, they are slow, the only way to decently make them fast is to drop a v8 explorer engine in them.

Ive heard good things about John but since he no longer works there Im still undecided about Chris. Then again everything I read is only hearsay and personal expereince from people and some opinions are biased.

I had great success with Jorge so Im hopfully going to have him tune me again, I just have to make sure its do able, if not than to XX it is because no one else around here can do the AP that is any good.
    Dan- 2004 PSM 5spd

Quote Originally Posted by Juice33 View Post
    Nice! The only thing I am unsure of is to wait for the AP for the Evo, I really want that for my EM.

The Evo IX definately has a 16g with a 10.5 hotside, don't argue it.

Also, you guys with crappy tunes need to come up here to CT and go to XX tuning. They are very good with the cars. I believe the last 35r they did made around 500 at the wheels.
    Hrmmm. . .
    My .02 + tree fiddy:

I wouldn't spend money on the accessport at this point, I was excited when I sent my ecu to them to get a ROM of of for the 05 GSR, but all I've seen as far as progress is a raised price and not much new functionality. The only thing I like about what the accessport does is that instead of reflashing your ECU you can write to memory so you can make thousands of changes if you want. A feature that openecu is actually working on right now.
    I wouldn't even argue that the accessport is going to be safer as the method used to reflash the ECU by OpenECU is exactly what's been used on Evo's by all tuners since it hit our shores.

Quote Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
    Hrmmm. . .
    My .02 + tree fiddy:

I wouldn't spend money on the accessport at this point, I was excited when I sent my ecu to them to get a ROM of of for the 05 GSR, but all I've seen as far as progress is a raised price and not much new functionality. The only thing I like about what the accessport does is that instead of reflashing your ECU you can write to memory so you can make thousands of changes if you want. A feature that openecu is actually working on right now.
    I wouldn't even argue that the accessport is going to be safer as the method used to reflash the ECU by OpenECU is exactly what's been used on Evo's by all tuners since it hit our shores.

I am still undecided but I like the AP idea. Maybe it is the former STi owner in me, lol. I am not used to the Evo way of engine management, messing directly with the ECU. I am used to the handheld tuners like the AP or the SCT II (from my Ford days). I am not going to do anything until next spring I think anyway, but I have said that before and then bought the next day too, lol. So I am basically going to sit back and wait, but Sliq has some awesome times and power from the WT package, which I like. But I like the idea of keeping the stock exhaust like you mentioned before also. Too many choices! Not a bad thing to have I guess.
    Current Vehicle: 2006 Volvo S60 R Sonic Blue/Atacama
    SOLD:
    2006 Graphite Gray Evo IX
    2004 STi
    2003 SVT Cobra
    2003 SVT Lightning
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffbmx00 View Post
    my friend has a 5.0 too, they are slow, the only way to decently make them fast is to drop a v8 explorer engine in them.

Quote Originally Posted by Juice33 View Post
    I am still undecided but I like the AP idea. Maybe it is the former STi owner in me, lol. I am not used to the Evo way of engine management, messing directly with the ECU. I am used to the handheld tuners like the AP or the SCT II (from my Ford days). I am not going to do anything until next spring I think anyway, but I have said that before and then bought the next day too, lol. So I am basically going to sit back and wait, but Sliq has some awesome times and power from the WT package, which I like. But I like the idea of keeping the stock exhaust like you mentioned before also. Too many choices! Not a bad thing to have I guess.
    Yeah, the AP's simple to just use where as the Openecu stuff isn't quite as simple, but believe me it's well worth spending a little time on for 600+ bucks in savings. You don't have to pay for it only the cable which is really nice to have just for datalogging. If you want you can download the software now, download a rom as well and use it on a romfile on your desktop.

And if you're not tuning yourself you can still get your rom edited by tuners that allow you to mail them your ROM and then they modify it and send it back to you. If I'm not mistaken that's what Fimotorsports has done to his.

_B

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast