Stock 06 STi v. bolt on Evo IX MR - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

This is a discussion on Stock 06 STi v. bolt on Evo IX MR within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally Posted by 06STIGUY Well tonight my friend and i decided we would go from a roll in his new ...

Quote Originally Posted by 06STIGUY View Post
    Well tonight my friend and i decided we would go from a roll in his new Evo IX MR that mommy and daddy bought him... he knows how to drive it pretty well considering he drove an VIII before his parents suprised him for his 18th b-day with the new one but anyway moving past my jealousy we went from a 30mph roll to about 80. Well both times he pulled about a car and half on my and shut down although he was still pulling hard! If i wasnt jealous before tonight i sure as hell am now lol... well anyway im just hoping that after i go stage 2 it will be a little more even. oh BTW his mods are intake and TBE.
    What! Are you serious. Your friend in one lucky SOB.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

just wait for him to get an exhaust and reflash, you'll need an aftermarket turbo at that point to keep up with him.

oh well i'm sure it'll fall apart quickly!

Quote Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
    just wait for him to get an exhaust and reflash, you'll need an aftermarket turbo at that point to keep up with him.
    Das wat i been sayin d00d!
    Just call me Clark Kent
    ---------------------------------------
    Offical Body Guard for the Bugeye Mafia.

one of the local ex subaru guys just ran an 11.4 out in vegas on a reflashed IX with a downpipe/testpipe, drop in intake, tune & exhaust cam.

Time for a turbo upgrage. Hopefully with a 8CM 20G or FPGreen, or if i decide to spend the money and go rotated a 30r, i can keep up with how easily moddible they are.

yep once you get into the aftermarket turbo arena you can keep up a lot easier.

Quote Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
    yep once you get into the aftermarket turbo arena you can keep up a lot easier.
    From what i see with Evo's in the 11's not much easier. Damn mitsus.

witnessed a race last night

2006 STI(roommate's car)
    aps TMIC
    injen intake
    TBE no cats
    helper spring on wastegate
    reflash

vs

2005 evo8(friend's car)
    down pipe
    test pipe
    catback
    intake
    vishnu dyno tune
    twin plate clutch

the evo was faster. the whole time it slowly pulled away from the STI. at the 1/4 mile the evo would probably be less than 2 car lengths

the 2005 evo8's have the same 10.5 hotside as the 9's which makes for improved top end over 02-03 evo's. but the 9's are better still because of a redesigned compressor wheel and the mivec. general concenses is that a evo9 has the performance of a evo8 with cams

a friend of mine has this

2006 evo9
    KN filter
    ported and coated manifold
    o2 housing
    downpipe
    high flow cat
    catback
    base reflash(we are going to dyno tune it in a few weeks)
    lower intercooler pipe
    BR deluxe FMIC

this car hauls ass. its faster than both the evo8 and 06 sti i mentioned above. but when we dynotune it we expect it to be a lot faster than the other two cars.

i know several people through a local meet that have evo9's. TBE and custom tune they regularly put down 330+whp, some as high as 350whp. sti's with the same mods are maxed out at ~300whp. aside from that the topend of all evo's is better than that of any sti with the stock turbo.
    Anthony

Quote Originally Posted by 06STIGUY View Post
    Time for a turbo upgrage. Hopefully with a 8CM 20G or FPGreen, or if i decide to spend the money and go rotated a 30r, i can keep up with how easily moddible they are.
    You gotta be careful though. Once you get into 30r territory you risk reliability issues with the motor. I would even feel uneasy about a 20G an STi. But then again, I am a bit of a reliability-paranoid.
    Just call me Clark Kent
    ---------------------------------------
    Offical Body Guard for the Bugeye Mafia.

Evos definately have the tuning advantage. I believe the package is a TBE, MBC and a flash (maybe an intake too, I can't remember) will net you 330 AWHP for just $1300. Not too shabby. It would take cams, like said before, for an VIII to get to that number.

I will probably do this by next spring and stop modding there. My knee can't take a heavy clutch right now so no more power for me.
    Current Vehicle: 2006 Volvo S60 R Sonic Blue/Atacama
    SOLD:
    2006 Graphite Gray Evo IX
    2004 STi
    2003 SVT Cobra
    2003 SVT Lightning
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffbmx00 View Post
    my friend has a 5.0 too, they are slow, the only way to decently make them fast is to drop a v8 explorer engine in them.

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Juice33 View Post
    Evos definately have the tuning advantage. I believe the package is a TBE, MBC and a flash (maybe an intake too, I can't remember) will net you 330 AWHP for just $1300. Not too shabby. It would take cams, like said before, for an VIII to get to that number.

I will probably do this by next spring and stop modding there. My knee can't take a heavy clutch right now so no more power for me.

True for the VIII, but the IX just needs TBE and maybe a reflash and it could make close to 315 - 320 awhp. That MIvec makes a big difference. Did I mention I love Evos?

Quote Originally Posted by LegacyMyth View Post
    True for the VIII, but the IX just needs TBE and maybe a reflash and it could make close to 315 - 320 awhp. That MIvec makes a big difference. Did I mention I love Evos?

Did you read my post?
    SOLD:
    2004 STi
    2003 SVT Cobra
    2003 SVT Lightning
    my friend has a 5.0 too, they are slow, the only way to decently make them fast is to drop a v8 explorer engine in them.

Quote Originally Posted by Juice33 View Post

That's the Buschur/Warrtalon package: MBC, TBE, Autometer Boost Gauge, and a reflash. Claimed 330 awhp for $1270 shipped.

I'm going to do something like this myself when the car comes out of storage this spring. However, since I only live about 3 hours from Buschur, I'm going to have them do a custom tune. Plus, I'll have a few extra mods on by that point (bonus of having Christmas and my birthday before the car comes out), such as a Buschur LICP and Walboro 255 fuel pump, as well as some misc. stuff that won't affect power such as shifter bushings, stainless steel brake and clutch lines, etc.

That should be it for '07. The following year I'll be looking at cams and most likely an upgraded clutch just to be on the safe side, as well as perhaps a new wheel and tire package (if I can find one I like that weighs the same or less than the stock BBS rims).

The following year will be the upgraded turbo and perhaps a new suspension also.
    "The way a press launch for a new car works is, a car manufacturer flies a group of automotive journalists to a nice location, pays their expenses, wines and dines them for several days, and lets them drive the new car all over the place. Then they go home and write objective stories."

- Dave Barry

Ed Zachary!

I just did not want to advertise for them, unless they want to start paying me!
    SOLD:
    2004 STi
    2003 SVT Cobra
    2003 SVT Lightning

Evo IX's are running 12.9 stock.

Just wait till Cobb releases the AP for the Evo. byebye MBC's, hello reliable performance!
    2008 Satin White Pearl WRX Sedan w/ Navi
    2005 San Remo Red WRX Sedan w/ VF34 (traded)
    Pi Kappa Alpha | New England Flat 4

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.