Mazdaspeed 6 vs 06 WRX

25K views 192 replies 45 participants last post by  mrQQ 
#1 ·
So what is faster?
I own the MS6 but have not raced it only 1,500miles on it
People are running 13.7-13.9 stock

#6 · (Edited)
#10 ·
No speed 3 is not faster because its FWD and has torque cuts in 1st and 2nd gear to prevent wheel hop. The MS6 is AWD ( i have to say the subaru AWD is far superior since its rear based and thr MS6 is front based and put 50% back to the rear wheels when needed)

Also the MS3 and thr MS6 have the same engine other then the detuning for the Speed 3.

#13 ·
I dont like the 1-2 shift for the MS6.....there is a pause when engaging into 2nd. all the other gears are ok.

I think there could be a recall for MS6's. A buddy of mine that works at a mazda dealer just had some bad cluth engagement into 1st and reverse. Even when i drive those MS6 from time to time it feels like first gear would feel like it would pop back out when i engage. Plus the clutch pedal feel sucks on that car.

#14 ·
No theres no recall....i have to agree with you the CLUTCH pedal stock is such crap....but i adjusted it and now its perfect. Mazda put it higher then teh break and its a race clutch where there is a quick engagemtny, so you cant feather it. It takes getting used to

#26 ·
Both cars are pretty similarly matched. The MS6 is "slightly" quicker but the difference is so minimal that just about every race would be a drivers race from a dig.

No offense, but it kinda seems like you came here to brag about your car and pick a fight of wrx vs. ms6. Many people here respect the MS6 and a couple of them own one. It is a nice car, as is the wrx.

#29 ·
Subaru reliability FTW!!

even though WRX resale isnt great, being that you can get a new MS6 for $7k off of sticker kinda hurts the market on the MS6.

how are the mods coming along for the MS6? I had not really heard much lately on the mods available, but I wouldnt think they are that inexpensive per hp, and i would start to question reliability with mods.

i dont dislike mazda at all. I had a miata and a protege 5 that i loved and never had one problem in 65k on each. i

#46 ·
stock yes the ms6 highway will take the stock wrx. from a dig its a drivers race with a small edge to the wrx, provided it gets a good launch.
BUT, I didnt say I was stock I intended to state that for less than 2k you can get the wrx much faster than the ms6 and still be under book for the ms6.
but hey you like your car and I like mine. Its all good:)

#51 ·
The 06 WRX is slower only because of its (purposefully) undersized turbo. They couldn't give it the STi's engine and give it the turbo too -- sales of the STi would suffer. So, they stuck it with the same small turbo that came on the 2.0 liter version in the previous years.

A 2.5 liter WRX owner is only one turbo swap away from making serious horsepower. Nice turbos start at around $699 so you can go real fast, real easily.

I'd be interested in knowing the MS6's throttle mapping, assuming it uses DBW like everybody else these days. There's no reason under the sun why the WRX shouldn't spool that tiny turbo instantly except for tuning, and I have a suspicion that's the same reason the MS6 offers such blazing power with just a little throttle. It's easy to tinker with the mapping to make the car feel like it's got a lot of low-end power when you're actually just opening the throttle 60% when the driver asks for 20%.

#54 ·
I m not sure what the mapping is but i know the MS6 turbo is tiny. It doesnt matter on the manufacturer, but there is a perfect turbo for every motor. The MS6 has one, the Sti has one and the WRX and EVO do not and therefor suffer from extreme turbo lag. This is not say that they dont move once spooled, but before that they are dogs..especially in 4rth and 5th gears. Also they need to have 6 speed trannies like the MS6, Sti and the new Evo

#52 ·
The MS6 is a fast car, but it's a Ford product. The MS6 has much better space inside though. I'd like that, but the extra weight sucks too much for my liking. it's a pig, like the S4's.

#53 · (Edited)
MADE IN JAPAN says right on the side of the door. Any MAzdaspeed car is japan made and has nothing to do with the mazda 6.....good try though

PS. the S4 is on a whole other level compared to any mazda or subaru. The MS6 and especially the WRX do not even come close the style/build quality of the car

#64 · (Edited)
Ford, is Mazda, is Ford sorry .......
Muuuuuhahahahahahahahahahahahaha:mad: :mad: :mad: :D

If the Ford/Mazda parts bin is what you call from scratch, then yes it's totally from scratch man. Trust me Ford makes sure that they use as litte fresh stuff as possible. Have you looked into an Aston Martin lately?
If they will put two Contour engines together and call it a V12, and throw Taurus switch gear in them, just think of what they did to your car. Can you say overboosted Protege MSP?

#66 ·
I think this guy likes abuse. Shouldn't he have gone to a mazda forum and posted that? To go to a competitors forum and post there then get offended(maybe not the best word) when people rag on his ride is ludacris!
Mazda=ford
hey don't get too bent GM owns Subaru (or at least some part of it)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.