Just to clarify things for those who don't understand international business and how things work...
Ford owned 25% of the Mazda Motor Corp. since the 1970s. 10 years ago, Ford acquired another 8.4%, making a total of 33.4%. Since Mazda isn't a US Corporation, it does not trade on the NYSE; it trades on the Tokyo Stock Exchange. The effect of Ford's acquisition of Mazda shares allowed Ford the ability to elect a couple of directors they wanted in place on Mazda's board of directors. The Mazda Corporation still operates as it did prior to 1996, the only difference is now Mazda and Ford have a joint venture, and as such they share designs and other manufacturing elements. Almost all of Mazda's top executives are appointed there by Ford. In fact, since Ford took their controlling interest, it was led by numerous Ford executives until 2003 when Ford appointed Imaki as President; the first Japanese head of Mazda in almost 10 years. So to all the fanboys that whack it to the amazing RX7 (FD fo' life!), IT'S A "FORD".
Basically Mazda needed a bridge to come over to the states and establish itself, so they used Ford as that bridge ...and in turn they share dirty little secrets with each other. There's no harm in that... only benefit.
The Ford/Mazda 2.3L engine won awards as one of the BEST engines in production. Does the fact that Ford plays a small part in that change anything?
I hope the little history lesson was refreshing.