Mazdaspeed 6 vs 06 WRX - Page 4
Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast

This is a discussion on Mazdaspeed 6 vs 06 WRX within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; stock yes the ms6 highway will take the stock wrx. from a dig its a drivers race with a small ...

stock yes the ms6 highway will take the stock wrx. from a dig its a drivers race with a small edge to the wrx, provided it gets a good launch.
    BUT, I didnt say I was stock I intended to state that for less than 2k you can get the wrx much faster than the ms6 and still be under book for the ms6.
    but hey you like your car and I like mine. Its all good
    WRB 06 TR wrx wing, wrx foglights, Invidia catted downpipe, AP,
    Stage 2 map, SPT catback, STi oem springs, Katrboy shortshifter
    lots of audio gear too.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by cavallino333 View Post
    Why'd you make this thread when you already seem pretty convinced the MS6 is faster?
    Insecure.
    2006 WRX TR

Quote Originally Posted by MazdaSpeed06 View Post
    I have driven a stock 06 wrx and it does not produce power under normal driving. The MS6 does. As soon as you hit the gas, the MS6 spools and is gone. The wrx takes a long time and for normal driving it does not eccelerate fast. Also on the Highway, the MS6 will walk it for sure. I get boost in 5th gear and go form 80-105ish noticably fast.
    What is your location? I think you should meet up with some locals and do some runs from a dig, and on the highway. I used to be on protege5.com alot when I had my protege - still have quite a few friends over there, a few of whom now have MS6's.

The MS6 is nice, stock. Knowing Mazda though, aftermarket options will be limited. That's really the thing with the WRX. Leave it alone, and it will probably last forever, or start investing in mods wisely... and it will still last a long time. It's a tried and tested platform that has proven itself. As a result, it's embraced by the aftermarket. The MS6 - not so much.
    Torch Red 2002 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 46k mi.
    Black 2002 Subaru Impreza WRX 6-speed 94k mi. my mod list
    10/08/2006 - 14.089@103.01 (5-speed with well worn clutch, no launch)
    "Six stars gleaming, five speeds breaking, four tires chirping, three differentials working, two liters screaming, one turbo boosting... it's what makes a Subaru all-wheel-drive, all we'll drive."
    for Bugeye owners my BOV thread Service Manuals

Quote Originally Posted by SOUTHPAW View Post
    I own a Mazdaspeed6...
    Yes, but your other toy makes up for any transgressions.
    This message printed on 100% recycled electrons.

Very interesting thread
    2009 wrx Dark grey metallic

The 06 WRX is slower only because of its (purposefully) undersized turbo. They couldn't give it the STi's engine and give it the turbo too -- sales of the STi would suffer. So, they stuck it with the same small turbo that came on the 2.0 liter version in the previous years.

A 2.5 liter WRX owner is only one turbo swap away from making serious horsepower. Nice turbos start at around $699 so you can go real fast, real easily.

I'd be interested in knowing the MS6's throttle mapping, assuming it uses DBW like everybody else these days. There's no reason under the sun why the WRX shouldn't spool that tiny turbo instantly except for tuning, and I have a suspicion that's the same reason the MS6 offers such blazing power with just a little throttle. It's easy to tinker with the mapping to make the car feel like it's got a lot of low-end power when you're actually just opening the throttle 60% when the driver asks for 20%.
    John M
    2000 Lincoln Continental - slow DD with the DOHC 4.6 and a Superchips tune
    1992 Lexus SC400 - slow resto project
    2005 Legacy GT Limited - SOLD Feb 2011 - Forged internals, FP HTA Green @ 22 psi.

The MS6 is a fast car, but it's a Ford product. The MS6 has much better space inside though. I'd like that, but the extra weight sucks too much for my liking. it's a pig, like the S4's.
    My car looks just like this without the skirts and roof wing! Yeah baby!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by scoob View Post
    The MS6 is a fast car, but it's a Ford product. The MS6 has much better space inside though. I'd like that, but the extra weight sucks too much for my liking. it's a pig, like the S4's.

MADE IN JAPAN says right on the side of the door. Any MAzdaspeed car is japan made and has nothing to do with the mazda 6.....good try though

PS. the S4 is on a whole other level compared to any mazda or subaru. The MS6 and especially the WRX do not even come close the style/build quality of the car
    Last edited by MazdaSpeed06; 12-02-2006 at 01:48 PM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by John M View Post
    The 06 WRX is slower only because of its (purposefully) undersized turbo. They couldn't give it the STi's engine and give it the turbo too -- sales of the STi would suffer. So, they stuck it with the same small turbo that came on the 2.0 liter version in the previous years.

A 2.5 liter WRX owner is only one turbo swap away from making serious horsepower. Nice turbos start at around $699 so you can go real fast, real easily.

I'd be interested in knowing the MS6's throttle mapping, assuming it uses DBW like everybody else these days. There's no reason under the sun why the WRX shouldn't spool that tiny turbo instantly except for tuning, and I have a suspicion that's the same reason the MS6 offers such blazing power with just a little throttle. It's easy to tinker with the mapping to make the car feel like it's got a lot of low-end power when you're actually just opening the throttle 60% when the driver asks for 20%.

I m not sure what the mapping is but i know the MS6 turbo is tiny. It doesnt matter on the manufacturer, but there is a perfect turbo for every motor. The MS6 has one, the Sti has one and the WRX and EVO do not and therefor suffer from extreme turbo lag. This is not say that they dont move once spooled, but before that they are dogs..especially in 4rth and 5th gears. Also they need to have 6 speed trannies like the MS6, Sti and the new Evo

Quote Originally Posted by MazdaSpeed06 View Post
    MADE IN JAPAN says right on the side of the door. Any MAzdaspeed car is japan made and has nothing to do with the mazda 6.....good try though

PS. the S4 is on a whole other level compared to any mazda or subaru. The MS6 and especially the WRX do not even come close the style/build quality of the car
    Ah ha! Just as I thought, a soft-core fanboi trolling along.
    They are all four, door awd car, wit h turbo's, doesn't get any similar than that.

Look dude, you have a decent car OK? Go drive it or something if you want to feel better about yourself, but coming on this site to brag is kindof stupid. It's not like your car is anything special. It's a jonny come lately mazda repeat of the same old formula Suby, and Mitsu have been doing for well oer a decade. Big deal. Welcome to the club. Chillout.

Oh by the way, both the wrx, and the MS6 crush the S4 in quality, so your right about it being on a "whole other level" as you put it... A lower one.
    Audi's are just overpriced VW's which are POS.

You would right up until you drove a Legacy GT and considered all the easy mods just waiting for you. Then you'd come to you senses and stick w/ Subaru
    In regard to the MS6, yeah the LGT is a better buy IMO. But he also said he would consider the MS3 and that is quite a different car than the LGT. It is faster and handles better than the LGT and word on the street is that the ECU will work better with mods than the MS6 did/does... Not to mention the MS3 costs about $4k less. However, I would still put more faith in the modability of a LGT though. Easy ECU + turbo upgrade nets strong power for cheap and the awd has no power getting that power down.

I just really wish the LGT didn't look so boring and had a better suspension.
    Just call me Clark Kent
    ---------------------------------------
    Offical Body Guard for the Bugeye Mafia.

There's no reason under the sun why the WRX shouldn't spool that tiny turbo instantly except for tuning,
    I have driven a stage2 WRX (2006 2.5L) a few times and it spools pretty quickly. The torque and displacement helps keep things going in the lower rpms.

I would imagine a protuned stage2 2.5L wrx would have some damn strong low end and fast spool up. Unfortunatley though, the topend is hurt by the smaller turbo (as you stated before).
    Just call me Clark Kent
    ---------------------------------------
    Offical Body Guard for the Bugeye Mafia.

Official ClubWRX arms dealer SOUTHPAW's Avatar

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by wrx wagone View Post
    Yes, but your other toy makes up for any transgressions.
    Transgressions?! Puhleeaase...

Quote Originally Posted by scoob
    The MS6 is a fast car, but it's a Ford product.
    I have to come to MazdaSpeed06's defense on this one, the car is built 100% in Japan, at a Mazda exclusive plant... the only ties to Ford are the profits.

DTR, I believe the LGT is a tick faster than the MS6 in a straight line. The Mazda does handle better though, even more so than the specB. I agree with you on the bland Legacy styling, I just like the Mazda's looks inside and out a little more. If the specB was the same price as my 'speed6 ($25k) I might have forgotten about the LGT's shortcomings and gotten one instead, but then again, I'd probably already have it at stage 2 if I did! The last thing I need is another car that's easily modded...
    *1969 Camaro - Kickin' It Old School
    PICS & MODS

*2005 Corvette C6 - A few APS bolt-ons
    PICS & MODS <- Built by XX Tuning
    *2003 Subaru WRX - 332 AWHP - SOLD
    PICS & MODS <- Built by XX Tuning

Quote Originally Posted by SOUTHPAW View Post
    Transgressions?! Puhleeaase...

I have to come to MazdaSpeed06's defense on this one, the car is built 100% in Japan, at a Mazda exclusive plant... the only ties to Ford are the profits.

DTR, I believe the LGT is a tick faster than the MS6 in a straight line. The Mazda does handle better though, even more so than the specB. I agree with you on the bland Legacy styling, I just like the Mazda's looks inside and out a little more. If the specB was the same price as my 'speed6 ($25k) I might have forgotten about the LGT's shortcomings and gotten one instead, but then again, I'd probably already have it at stage 2 if I did! The last thing I need is another car that's easily modded...
    I never said it was made in the USA, but it is a Ford product considering Ford and Mazda "are like this son!"-Dave Chapelle-OJ Simpson trial episode

The Mazda tribute, Ford Escape, and MS6 share the same drivetrain componentry last time I heard, and that s&*t is suspect IMHO.
    Further more the X-type Jag also share the components too.
    Sure the parts are from Japan, but so where the busted a$$ Mitsu parts of the second gen 4G63's that crankedwalked there way into all of our heart, along with all of the other maladies that got there president begging for apologies, and almost got them banckrupt.
    Just because it's from Japan doesn't automatically make it the holiness.

See any Ford probes running like tops anymore?

Plenty of Hondas much older then them running perfect. Mazda...