2.5rs Vs. Wrx
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on 2.5rs Vs. Wrx within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I am a new guy, i would really like to get a wrx but dont have the funds now. can ...

2.5rs Vs. Wrx

I am a new guy, i would really like to get a wrx but dont have the funds now.
    can you guys tell me more about the 2.5rs and how they stack up to the wrx and how hard is it to turbo a 2.5rs. thanks guys

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

don't bother with the 2.5rs, save up for the WRX or find a used one

for the money you'll end up putting in the 2.5 to get it up to par with the WRX; you would end up spending more than you would buying a wrx

you know what they say, "go big or go home"

Yeah try to get a used wrx rather than a 2.5, I went through the same when purchasing my wrx the 2.5 seems ok until you drive a wrx.

The 2.5 is a competent car that is decent in the twisties, but it suffers in comparison to a performance car. The suspension is too soft for really sticky tires, and the motor has decent linear power, but do not expect it to win very many races either cornering or straight... It has no chance against a WRX power wise. Think of it as a graceful but not very athletic dance partner.

It is cheaper to operate on low or midgrade fuel, it gets 400 miles to to a tank on the highway. I usually get about 27mpg, with 30 being the high on a two lane straight road and 22 in the twisties, keeping the engine above 4,000 most of the time. My wife and I pay $81 a month insurance. We are both safe divers in our 30's. The out the door price for the car was $19,700 with the sport package in Sep. 2004.

It now has 63,000 miles. The A/C compressor knocked at first and was replaced under warranty. I changed the plugs once, and the tires twice. That is it except for fluid changes one tag light bulb. Cross your fingers for reliablilty.

The motor can run at the rev limiter all day long and won't get all thrashy like an inline four, and it sounds neat. The worse the road, the better the car acts; rain, bumps and gravel, no problem. It can pull a trailer. Of course a WRX is all that and fast, too. My 2.5rs topped out at a GPS indicated 124 mph... (WRX 145+??, two seconds quicker in the 1/4 mile??) I drive class 7 and 8 trucks for living so it seems pretty quick at the end of the day.

Women like the car. I know everyone says that girls don't like the very similar WRX and that is is an ugly duckling blah blah blah, but from the bag girl at Publix to the boss' wife, they all liked the 2.5. They said this without any prompting on my part, that it it a pretty car. Most men don't like the car because it is not a WRX, but the comment about the looks was that is a good looking car, it has nice lines. To me it depends on which angle you look at it.

It would be fairly easy to get the handling up to par, but voiding the warranty to get WRX engine power seems like a poor investment. If that is what you are after, just get a WRX.

Coming from someone who has moved up the ranks of owning imprezas... haha.... im no expert though. I used to own a 2002 rs... it was a very nice car and got pretty decent gas mileage... had ok performance and handled pretty nicely... but then I got a 2003 wrx and wow... what a difference... more power and better handling... then I got tired of the lag and I had 70k miles on it... so I traded that in on a 2006 wrx and once again... wow... even more of a difference with the 2.5 turbo engine... no lag at all and HOLY TORQUE batman!! I can't wait to go stage 2...

But back to the question... it all depends on what you are looking for... if you want good gas mileage and a decent car... stick with the RS... if you want performance... get the wrx... it also comes down to money... you can find a used wrx for about the same price as a new rs... but then again... i paid mid 20s for my new 06...

So it comes down to what you want it for and how much you are willing to spend... good luck bud! Hope this helps!

Also: Don't try to buy a RS and upgrade it to a WRX... its not worth the time and the money... just get the wrx if you want to go that route... only my opinion though...
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #17!
    2006 Crystal Gray Metallic WRX- Stage 2
    Mods: Invidia Turboback (w/ cat and resonator), Kartboy short-throw shifter, Prodrive Lowering Springs, STi Limited Front Lip, Cusco Rear Swaybar (adj.), Greddy Front/Rear Strut bars, 8k H.I.D.'s, and Cobb AP!

Thanks guys the only reason I donít think I can afford the wrx is because I am going to collage. if I could find a wrx with more miles on it for under 10,000 than I would be good do you guys think its possible to find one for around that price?
    or am i for thinking about it

Quote Originally Posted by SRWRX View Post
    Thanks guys the only reason I donít think I can afford the wrx is because I am going to collage. if I could find a wrx with more miles on it for under 10,000 than I would be good do you guys think its possible to find one for around that price?
    or am i for thinking about it
    that's going to be a little trickey
    04 WRX Java Black
    Mustang Dyno 218 awhp 216 awtq
    1978 Honda CB400Tll
    yea you know its modified
    1974 Honda CB750 Bobber
    still in the works

Get a nice 98-01 2.5 RS, drive it around during college and then either do a nice STi engine swap when you have the money or keep the car as a beater when you get a new car after college. Either way, you end up with a nice car. But keep in mind the 2.5RS is sloooooowww, even in the lighter body style. I had one and it was fun, great in the snow, it is now a pretty decent race car for XX Tuning.
    Current Vehicle: 2006 Volvo S60 R Sonic Blue/Atacama
    SOLD:
    2006 Graphite Gray Evo IX
    2004 STi
    2003 SVT Cobra
    2003 SVT Lightning
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffbmx00 View Post
    my friend has a 5.0 too, they are slow, the only way to decently make them fast is to drop a v8 explorer engine in them.

Quote Originally Posted by Juice33 View Post
    Get a nice 98-01 2.5 RS, drive it around during college and then either do a nice STi engine swap when you have the money or keep the car as a beater when you get a new car after college. Either way, you end up with a nice car. But keep in mind the 2.5RS is sloooooowww, even in the lighter body style. I had one and it was fun, great in the snow, it is now a pretty decent race car for XX Tuning.
    I completely agree with Juice33... you aren't going to find a wrx for under 10k... I was lucky and got a steal for my 2002 RS at 12,000... then paid 18,000 for my 2003 wrx... and now 26,000 for my 2006 wrx... under 10,000 is going to be extremely hard to find... expecially for a wrx... I say stick with the RS...
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #17!
    2006 Crystal Gray Metallic WRX- Stage 2
    Mods: Invidia Turboback (w/ cat and resonator), Kartboy short-throw shifter, Prodrive Lowering Springs, STi Limited Front Lip, Cusco Rear Swaybar (adj.), Greddy Front/Rear Strut bars, 8k H.I.D.'s, and Cobb AP!

focus on your studies...and then you'll be able to afford the best 08/09 out there!!!
    LET'S GO COLTS!!!
    I have 5 infraction points. What do you have?

well the thing is that i can find deals like this all the time there are alot of wrx's for 12 to even 10,000 do you think its impossible to find a 2002 wrx with 100,000+ miles on it for less than 10

http://www.bargainnews.com/viewad.cf...7&TheDealer=20

You get what you pay for...
    Family fun: 2010 BMW M3 Sedan; STOCK
    Single fun: 2012 Mustang Boss 302; STOCK
    SOLD to my Brother: 02 WRX Sedan / Short throw, K+N drop in, Helix up and down pipe, Borla Hush twin tip, Whiteline sways and endlinks, KYB GR2s, Swift springs, Cobb Stage 2
    SOLD: 05 Mustang GT Convertible / blown and tuned by Dynospeed Racing, Memphis TN

look at how nice this one is only thing is its auto.

http://cars.com/go/search/detail.jsp...1&aff=national

Dont bother comparing the two cars in terms of performance. They are night and day.

But, the 2.5RS or 2.5i depending on your money (you could lease a brand new 2.5i for pretty cheap) is a nice daily driver.

I had an Acura RSX Base, and it is as fast as the 2.5RS but w/o the AWD.

If you plan on modifying then get a used WRX, or an older 2.5RS and get an engine swap since they are so much lighter.
    2008 Satin White Pearl WRX Sedan w/ Navi
    2005 San Remo Red WRX Sedan w/ VF34 (traded)
    Pi Kappa Alpha | New England Flat 4

Go with an older RS, swap an ej205 in, slap a VF30 on it and do this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0svYBvwGl4Y

(no that's not my car, but a local who did the same swap)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast