Has anyone ran a mustang GT-500??? - Page 2
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

This is a discussion on Has anyone ran a mustang GT-500??? within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally Posted by subyguy does the GT-500 color come with a purple and yellow stripes?????? that was the color he ...

Quote Originally Posted by subyguy View Post
    does the GT-500 color come with a purple and yellow stripes?????? that was the color he had told me but i never seen a color like that yet. The stripes im not sure but still any other color with purple would be weird.

Must have been a Ford Mustang Elton John GT-500 not the shelby.
    FORZA FERRARI
    BLOBEYE SYNDICATE (retired) #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Integra96 View Post
    One day I hope to buy a car that is lubricated exclusively by pure manatee oil.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Purple and yellow? The GT500 comes in white, black, red, blue, and grey. Either a custom paint job, or it was not a GT500...
    Family fun: 2010 BMW M3 Sedan; STOCK
    Single fun: 2012 Mustang Boss 302; STOCK
    SOLD to my Brother: 02 WRX Sedan / Short throw, K+N drop in, Helix up and down pipe, Borla Hush twin tip, Whiteline sways and endlinks, KYB GR2s, Swift springs, Cobb Stage 2
    SOLD: 05 Mustang GT Convertible / blown and tuned by Dynospeed Racing, Memphis TN

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by cavallino333 View Post

Must have been a Ford Mustang Elton John GT-500 not the shelby.
    -The J
    New Members, CLICK & BOOKMARK these links:

"Driving most supercars is like trying to manhandle a cow up a back staircase. . . This is like smearing honey into Keira Knightly" -JC

they're over weight and over rated. mags are getting 12.7-13.0's outta that pile. having 500hp doesn't mean anything when it weighs 3600lbs. although the price isnt bad compared to a z06 or viper. but it doesnt compare either. its kinda in a class of its own. to exspensive to be in with the awd guys and to cheap to go play with the big boys. its rests in the the mid life crisis center of reg c5-6s and m3-5s. i would certainly take any of those over the gt500
    RayfieldsWRX - "You like the feel of torque steer? Interesting"
    jd92677 - "I like the idea of mashing the gas and not knowing which way the car will go."
    -02 WRX 13.8@96 stock SOLD
    -04 SRT-4 626whp SOLD.
    -04 STi 13.3@102 stock. SOLD
    -04 SRT4 388whp DD SOLD

Registered User SixDaysToSunday's Avatar
    It's got the power, but too much weight. Sure, the massive amount of torque will pull from the line but I am just concerned with the weight. Also, can anyone confirm that the GT500 gets 450rwhp?

I just don't understand Ford's train of thought. Let's make a high powered super car, and make it weigh as much as a tank. This is highly intuitive thinking. It works out well for us though, since we can demoralize the midlife crisis car given the driver is the average n00b. Sadly, the case around here in Rochester is that when you see a Stang, it has to be automatic. All the yuppies drive them around here. I digress..

Case and point, will an STi beat a GT500? I have no idea, but I want to say that although the GT500 has all the power, it also has a truckload of ass on it.
    2010 WRX: "Archer"
    #2127 of the Stinkeye Mob
    Honorary Member of the Hawkeye Alliance
    Give it up for the boys in Blue, USAF; 3H071
    Jack T, also known as BOOSTPUNK on Buffaloscooby

Still has a better power to weight ratio than the STi.
    I agree it weighs too much but that doesn't negate the fact that its fast.
    The Bugatti Veyron weight 4200lb's too but I hear anyone complaing about that one being fat.
    Last edited by cavallino333; 11-26-2006 at 08:14 PM.
    FORZA FERRARI

The Bugatti Veyron weight 4200lb's too but I hear anyone complaing about that one being fat.
    haha yeah +1 on that alot of exotic cars/high end cars has weight but look at the power the are making... the m5's are pretty heavy too but they're quick
    "Love each other or perish" Morrie Schwartz
    "The most important thing in life is to learn how to give out love, and to let it come in." Morrie Schwartz
    06 crystal grey metallic wrx wagon SOCAL F4 #24
    MY SPACE! Hawk-Eye Alliance #039
    Originally Posted by Speedette
    "modding is a disease...but a positive disease, like Chlamydia!"

True, but to compensate, the Veyron makes 3000hp to the crank and 1001 to the wheels being at 4200lbs. Nowhere near the power to weight ratio of a GT500 which would be 3600lbs making 550crank and about 450wheel.

It's a wonderful idea, really, I just think that Ford's engineering and design team in the Shelby sect should have payed more attention to lightening the chassis and then power rather than squeezing every pony out of it and saying to hell with lightweight.

Quote Originally Posted by SixDaysToSunday View Post
    True, but to compensate, the Veyron makes 3000hp to the crank and 1001 to the wheels being at 4200lbs. Nowhere near the power to weight ratio of a GT500 which would be 3600lbs making 550crank and about 450wheel.

It's a wonderful idea, really, I just think that Ford's engineering and design team in the Shelby sect should have payed more attention to lightening the chassis and then power rather than squeezing every pony out of it and saying to hell with lightweight.
    I think the veyron is 1001 at the crank.

The Veyron was probably a bad example since its really a different kind of car. What comes down to is money. The Ford is built to be priced at 42K (starting, I know there selling for higher but thats a result of crummy dealer practices) thats about 30K less than a Z06. It costs more to reduce weight with lightweight materials than it does to squeeze more power out of an engine. It offer performance that'll rival or come close to some exotics for a price thats way less. I don't think Ford is trying to make the worlds best/fastest car, there trying to get as close as they can to supercar at a bargain basement price.

Not trying to argue just my .02.
    Last edited by cavallino333; 11-26-2006 at 09:03 PM.
    FORZA FERRARI

Bugatti Veyron makes 3000chp and 1001whp. 2000hp is lost as heat leaving the excess 1000 to go to the wheels. It's a nice car, but in reality, it's a VW on steroids. Mega Terrel Owens steroids.

As for GT500 being a bargain supercar, I can't argue that. It definately is. I just wish Ford had put more effort into lightening the chassis. Sure, it's not like they don't sell millions of them every year (Thats an exaggeration) to yuppies all across America, hell that's why the enthusiasts buy the SVT Stangs, Steedas, and Saleens.

Bugatti Veyron makes 3000chp and 1001whp. 2000hp is lost as heat leaving the excess 1000 to go to the wheels.
    I'll have to take your word for it. Seems kind of crazy but I looked everywhere and keep finding 1001hp but no other published whp amount.
    FORZA FERRARI

Bugatti Veyron makes 3000chp and 1001whp. 2000hp is lost as heat leaving the excess 1000 to go to the wheels. It's a nice car, but in reality, it's a VW on steroids. Mega Terrel Owens steroids.

As for GT500 being a bargain supercar, I can't argue that. It definately is. I just wish Ford had put more effort into lightening the chassis. Sure, it's not like they don't sell millions of them every year (Thats an exaggeration) to yuppies all across America, hell that's why the enthusiasts buy the SVT Stangs, Steedas, and Saleens.
    70% drivetrain loss? I doubt it, im 99% sure its 1001 crank hp.

Quote Originally Posted by MJez View Post
    70% drivetrain loss? I doubt it, im 99% sure its 1001 crank hp.
    Agreed. I still couldn't find proof for or otherwise.
    FORZA FERRARI

Agreed. I still couldn't find proof for or otherwise.
    Sounds ridiculously stupid but PopSci did an article on the Bugatti Veyron stating 3000chp - 2000hp lost as heat = 1000whp

Newest issue, Best of Whats New or whatever. They had some guys from VW/Bugatti come down with one so they could play/write about it.

I happen to have the motor trend where they test the new viper hardtop, z06 and gt500 against each other.

stats for gt500:

330 cu. in SC'd V8
    500 hp @6000
    480ft lbs @4500 (surprisingly high?)
    redline: 6250

WEIGHT -- 3879.

so basically it's 4000lbs with someone driving .

0-60 = 4.4sec!
    0-100 = 9.7 secs
    1/4 mile = 12.7secs

looks to me like it runs the same quarter as a good driver in stg 2, let alone an fp green. it makes its power up high like us, if not higher, and it weighs 4k pounds. that makes it far less impressive to me actually.

on the other hand the fact an sti can run with something they consider in competition with a z06, or viper (even though it didnt belong there) is pretty fricking cool. ill enjoy telling people that say "its funny looking " itll beat your dad's porsche and your brother's mustang. cuz today a friend said it was a family car, lol.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast