Subaru WRX Forum banner

OK, am I the only person who is annoyed by this?

2K views 24 replies 16 participants last post by  Sasquatch 
#1 ·
Hey guys, been a while since I've been on here (ooh, redesigned forum, pretty :) )

What is it with people who want to race you, but don't have the common courtesy of giving an even start, but instead feel the need to jump you?

Case in point, I'm getting onto the highway yesterday, and there's a pretty good sounding red WRX getting on in front of me (no idea what mods). I figured it's been a while since I've gotten to race one, so I want to see if he's game. On the highway, we kind of rev at each other, but can't do much as there's traffic.

Finally, we get a stretch of open road ahead of us. I'm in the far right lane, with him behind me. I get over so he can get next to me so we can get a good start. But no, he decides to go full throttle from behind me as I'm waiting for him to get even for a nice fair start. By the time I realize it, he's flying past me with a 20mph hour head start. No way can I catch up to that.

Now, he seemed pretty quick to begin with, so maybe he still would have beaten me in a fair race, but the other guy cannot consider that a win, since he had basically a head start on me. It's like he didn't have the decency to get up even for a nice, fair race. I run mid 13's in the 1/4 mile currently, so even if he was Stage 2, it may have been close.

Now, I am in no way saying that this is specific to WRX drivers, cause it's not. It's just that I noticed this guy doing this, which irks me. Am I overreacting here, or does this annoy anyone else as well?

See less See more
#2 ·
ahh the blow-by race. You know that guy was like "I blew by this guy on the freeway like he was sitting still." (flashes hazards) I think they just don't know "how" to race. My fav is the 2 honks...you hear the engine rev..then you hear the 3rd honk. Gotta get that jump:thumbup:

#3 ·
Street racing FTW :sadwave:

I do that all the time, mainly because I dont want to race. I'll wave, flash my lights, beep my horn, or anything else to get another WRX's attention just to say hey. If it turns out he's a boy racer, then I just want to get around him and on my way.

#4 ·
I share your frustration, but I've also been the guy behind when the guy in front stands on the gas before you have a chance to line up. It's difficult to determine what the motives of the other driver are going to be, or if they even have any idea of "street racing protocol"...

#5 ·
Almost the exact same thing happened to me last week against a newer GTO (couldn't tell if it was 5.7L or 6.0L). I was angry for quite some time afterwards b/c he probably thought he beat me by bus lengths. Now chances are he would have won anyway since it was from a roll but I still would like to have seen how it would turn out from an even start nonetheless.

#9 ·
That happened to me this morning. I was on my way to work in teh Andyspeed 626 looking for a kill. As I was driving up a local 4 lane road, I saw those familiar blinking yellow lights ahead of me. Yes! It's on! That school bus doesn't stand a chance! I figure he had his lights on just to let me know he wanted a piece of me. He sat there waiting for me to line up. I pulled up next to him and waited. He dumped a bunch of kids on the curb (I figure for weight savings), and revved his engine. I knew I probably wouldn't stand a chance when I heard his turbo, and air brakes going PPPSSSHHTTT!!!, but I wanted to try anyway. I waited and waited for his horn, but he never beeped. He waited until I went to change a CD, and he launched! By the time I got her back in first gear and launched, it was too late. He was already waaaaay ahead of me putting his flashers on again. God I wish these people would learn how to street race!:unhappy:

#16 ·
just take it as all the more reason to make your car even faster.

i had another WRX follow me onto the freeway looking for a race. i let him pull up. downshifted to 5th, he floored it. i downshifted to 4th and punched it, he had about a 3 second head start. still blew past him shortly after the shift to 5th:tongue: slowed down again and we gave eachother :thumbup:

before that i was driving around with a friend looking for a place to eat. i stop at a light and see this guy running to jump into the passenger seat of a 350z roadster. the 350z got on the road and came after me. i slowed down to 45mph and put it in 2nd gear but the guy just past me and wouldnt slow down, guess he wanted to go from a higher roll:confused1 but a light turned red in front of us. i pulled up next to the 350z and me and my friend stared the guys down. light went green, he punched it. i proceded with a normal street start. boost came on as he chirped 2nd gear. i pulled even with him as i was shifting into 3rd. my friend and i looked over at the guys in the 350z with huge smiles and left them behind. the look on both their faces was priceless

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.