02 WRX vs 05 Legacy GT
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on 02 WRX vs 05 Legacy GT within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Tonight was by far the closest race Ive ever had, I raced a stock 2005 Legacy GT with my 02 ...

02 WRX vs 05 Legacy GT

Tonight was by far the closest race Ive ever had, I raced a stock 2005 Legacy GT with my 02 WRX with a TBE. We went from a dig all the way to top end, literally a all out drag until we both hit top speed. I got him off the launch by a half car and he kept me there until 3rd when I missed it and he jumpped ahead by atleast 2 cars before I got it sorted out. It stayed this way until ~110 when I started to gain again, by 130 we were side by side again and we both let off. I know I know those speeds are way too fast for public roads but no one else was around us and how often do you get to race a LGT against a WRX?
    2003 Hyundai Tiburon GTV6 (sold)
    2002 Subaru Impreza WRX

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

i've never raced one.

fine by me.

nice kill...er....death....eh
    SoCal F4 #22 Shoes
    Quote Originally Posted by Forester 2.5 XTi View Post
    If aesthetics was 1st, I wouldn't have bought a Forester!

LGTs are quite fun...
    John M
    2000 Lincoln Continental - slow DD with the DOHC 4.6 and a Superchips tune
    1992 Lexus SC400 - slow resto project
    2005 Legacy GT Limited - SOLD Feb 2011 - Forged internals, FP HTA Green @ 22 psi.

Never really had a chance to run one. I played with one a while back when I was making stage2 power and I was a bit too much for him to handle. I envy his interior though
    Just call me Clark Kent
    ---------------------------------------
    Offical Body Guard for the Bugeye Mafia.

There's a real quick LGT out by me and I got smoked.

LGT vs WRX

I have an 06 Legacy GT as well as an 04 WRX stage 4. My legacy is very comparable to my wrx at stage 2. The wrx is currently at stage 4 but has a bad tune, so it still probably wouldnt fare very well.

The legacy is refined, quiet, rides nice, actually has real paint and has every amenity. The wrx has its boy-racer looks and low cost, so I dont mind nearly as much modding the sh*t out of it.

The GT has potential to be an animal, as it has the STi engine which is essentially detuned and very easily upgraded.
    95 ERA Cobra - 396ci SVO block blown and injected
    04 WRX WRB - Stage 4 - 298whp on a Mustang Dyno - FOR SALE
    06 Legacy GT - Soon to be Stage 2
    07 Legacy Wagon 3.0R
    08 C6 Z06 427.ci, 505hp

Registered User farBeyondDriven's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Searcher View Post
    The GT has potential to be an animal, as it has the STi engine which is essentially detuned and very easily upgraded.
    Sorry for bringing this thread back from the dead, but is that true? Does the LGT have the same engine as the STi? I thought it was something more similar to the 2.5L WRX engine with a slightly bigger turbo.
    2006 Panty Dropper

"I want to die peacefully in my sleep, like my grandfather. Not screaming in terror like his passengers."

Quote Originally Posted by farBeyondDriven View Post
    Sorry for bringing this thread back from the dead, but is that true? Does the LGT have the same engine as the STi? I thought it was something more similar to the 2.5L WRX engine with a slightly bigger turbo.
    i'm pretty sure your right. yes it has a 2.5 like the sti but i'm fairly certain it's a differnt block.
    SoCal F4 #22 Shoes

Quote Originally Posted by farBeyondDriven View Post
    from : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subaru_...ormance_models

# 2.5 L, DOHC, turbocharged and intercooled four-cylinder engines are available in North American market GT models, beginning in 2005. This engine shares many parts with other versions of the Impreza WRX STi, Forester XT and Baja Turbo, as well as the Outback XT which are available only in the North American market.

from :http://www.motortrend.com/cars/2005/...ons/index.html

- Turbo compressor
    - 2,457 cc 2.5 liters horizontal 4 front engine with 99.5 mm bore, 79 mm stroke, 8.2 compression ratio, double overhead cam, variable valve timing/camshaft and four valves per cylinder
    - Premium unleaded fuel
    - Fuel economy EPA highway (mpg): 25 and EPA city (mpg): 19
    - Multi-point injection fuel system
    - 16.9 gallon main premium unleaded fuel tank
    - Power: 186 kW , 250 HP SAE @ 6,000 rpm; 250 ft lb , 339 Nm @ 3,600 rpm

Compare those numbers - namely bore, stroke, and compression ... to this pages description of the EVO vs STI : http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...ecs_price.html

Looks to me like they may in fact be the same engine. Might be a simple matter of adjusting the tune and changing the I/H/E to match or surpass.
    Torch Red 2002 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 46k mi.
    Black 2002 Subaru Impreza WRX 6-speed 94k mi. my mod list
    10/08/2006 - 14.089@103.01 (5-speed with well worn clutch, no launch)
    "Six stars gleaming, five speeds breaking, four tires chirping, three differentials working, two liters screaming, one turbo boosting... it's what makes a Subaru all-wheel-drive, all we'll drive."
    for Bugeye owners my BOV thread Service Manuals

I Support ClubWRX
    For 05-06 models, heads, cams, block are identical. Differences are with the turbo (STi-VF39, LGT-VF40...smaller), catted UP on the LGT, plastic intake manifold on the LGT, smaller but more efficient (for it's size) TMIC on the LGT, slightly smaller diameter exhaust piping on the LGT but with dual exhaust ends (twice the cost I might add ). STi has stronger R180 rear vs LGT R160, and the STi's torque sensing diffs front and rear as well as an active electronic center diff are vastly superior to the LGT front open diff, rear viscous, center viscous.

Of course, the suspensions are different, but believe it our not, pretty much the same mounting points. And last but not least, the STi 6 speed is much stronger but LGT gearing is better (IMHO) and the STi has the god-almightly whoa peddle due to the incredible Brembos. The LGT brakes...quite simply suck.
    tEh PriUs=teH faSTah!@@!
    08 Audi S5 Black Diamond edition
    SOLD: 05 SWP Legacy GT Limited 5MT, 13.3ish@105 (stage 2) crappy stock clutch
    SOLD: 04 MPS/SW WRX Sti. 12.971 @ 103.97 (stock)
    278 AWHP/283 AWT, Catback exhaust
    306 AWHP/341 AWT, Stage 2
    (Scott) Moderator-STi, Drag Racing, Car Purchasing, and Tutorial Forums

Quote Originally Posted by YBNormal07 View Post
    For 05-06 models, heads, cams, block are identical. Differences are with the turbo (STi-VF39, LGT-VF40...smaller), catted UP on the LGT, plastic intake manifold on the LGT, smaller but more efficient (for it's size) TMIC on the LGT, slightly smaller diameter exhaust piping on the LGT but with dual exhaust ends (twice the cost I might add ). STi has stronger R180 rear vs LGT R160, and the STi's torque sensing diffs front and rear as well as an active electronic center diff are vastly superior to the LGT front open diff, rear viscous, center viscous.

Of course, the suspensions are different, but believe it our not, pretty much the same mounting points. And last but not least, the STi 6 speed is much stronger but LGT gearing is better (IMHO) and the STi has the god-almightly whoa peddle due to the incredible Brembos. The LGT brakes...quite simply suck.
    and there you go folks. you da man.

ok did i just say you da man.
    SoCal F4 #22 Shoes

And the LGT's unique turbo-to-TMIC connection makes it much harder (expensive) to upgrade the turbo and/or the IC. To top it off, the throttle body mounts on the intake not in the center but at the rear drivers side of the manifold. This makes it ideal for flipping for a FMIC install but it makes it impossible to upgrade using WRX-spec TMICs.

The turbo connects to the IC with a flange instead of a coupler, further complicating aftermarket parts. Right now the only LGT-specific TMIC upgrade is $700 and I won't pay nearly that much.

The first company that makes an upgraded TMIC that fits a WRX-style turbo and the LGT's intake manifold will make a killing, especially if they bundle it with say a VF34 or VF39.

Oh, and since this thread was created, I've since gone Stage 2. It's even more fun now
    John M
    2000 Lincoln Continental - slow DD with the DOHC 4.6 and a Superchips tune
    1992 Lexus SC400 - slow resto project
    2005 Legacy GT Limited - SOLD Feb 2011 - Forged internals, FP HTA Green @ 22 psi.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Fahren View Post
    and there you go folks. you da man.

ok did i just say you da man.

heh....I know some things about what I am interested in, so thanks . Now...no clue for other manufacturers tech specs (unless you count Mopar as I've also got a 70 Cuda 340 6-pack, 727 slapstick parked away for my kid's college fund... )
    tEh PriUs=teH faSTah!@@!

Quote Originally Posted by YBNormal07 View Post
    heh....I know some things about what I am interested in, so thanks . Now...no clue for other manufacturers tech specs (unless you count Mopar as I've also got a 70 Cuda 340 6-pack, 727 slapstick parked away for my kid's college fund... )
    Too bad its not a 440 6 pack. I saw one get bid up to $225,000 this weekend in AC and still din't come close to selling. Just rediculous.
    Current Vehicle: 2006 Volvo S60 R Sonic Blue/Atacama
    SOLD:
    2006 Graphite Gray Evo IX
    2004 STi
    2003 SVT Cobra
    2003 SVT Lightning
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffbmx00 View Post
    my friend has a 5.0 too, they are slow, the only way to decently make them fast is to drop a v8 explorer engine in them.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Juice33 View Post
    Too bad its not a 440 6 pack. I saw one get bid up to $225,000 this weekend in AC and still din't come close to selling. Just rediculous.
    I figure I've got about a decade before I sell it. I'm hoping by then it is somwhere around the same price. The 340 6 pack was a fairly rare build...and mine is 100% stock with 46K miles on it. Prisine in and out. Never been restored or repaired and it appears these type of vehicles are gaining ground over the concourse-ready 100K+ frame off restoration sales due to their ability to actually be driven on roads withought imediately loosing significant value. Only time will tell, but I'm confident I'll be able to pay for a least the 1st year of school for each kid. After that, they are no longer "kids" and will have to learn about working. After all...thats what parents are for, the broad objective "catch and release" program
    tEh PriUs=teH faSTah!@@!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.