Evo takes me down up top, but Mustang GT doesn't have the ponies...
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Evo takes me down up top, but Mustang GT doesn't have the ponies... within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I no longer have my WRX, and have a 2004 GTO. Thought this was worth sharing, though... Driving north along ...

Evo takes me down up top, but Mustang GT doesn't have the ponies...

I no longer have my WRX, and have a 2004 GTO. Thought this was worth sharing, though...

Driving north along Rt 83 in Elk Grove just before noon to meet up with my friends to watch the Bears ultimately defeat the Jets, and I found myself in the mood to have some fun:

Vs Mustang
    I first came across a maroon 1997-ish Mustang GT convertible with a tan top. As I pulled up along side while doing the speed limit, I noticed he had his g/f in the car. Figured I'd go easy on the guy so he didn't get too embarrassed. Caught a red light with me directly behind him.

On green, he took off moderately, but enough to clear the cars to either side of him. This allowed me to pull up even, and hold the GTO in 2nd gear. I squeezed the throttle down to indicate my intentions by jumping forward a few carlengths. He got the message that I wasn't MMOB... While I let the GTO slow back down, he came rushing up. I squeezed the gas again as he approached my hindquarters, and ran through second while I chirped the tires upon grabbing third. This easily propelled me out front to a safe distance... I went on and off the gas a few more times in 3rd, staying just out of his reach, but giving false hope to the victim each time.

Well ahead with the results quite apparent, I shifted into 5th and started to slow back down. This allowed the GT to roar past at WOT (his exhaust did sound nice), and perhaps salvage some respect points from his lovely passenger. He came to a stop in the approaching left turn lane, and I slowly rolled past them with an appreciative thumbs up and a friendly smile. The driver graciously nodded and returned the thumbs up. I prefer races that end with mutual respect, regardless of whether I'm the victor or not...

Vs Evo
    At the same light where my encounter with the Mustang had just ended, I found myself squarely behind a blue Mitsubishi Evo. He was sporting tinted windows, a modest sized exhaust, Lancer red tails, and a slightly lowered stance. Feeling the thrill, c0ckiness, and hint of adrenalin flowing from my fresh kill, I figured I'd offer a challenge to this potential contender.

The Evo driver took off slowly from the light. I was holding 1st just waiting for him to punch it. The GTO felt like a pitbull straining at it's collar waiting to be unleashed... Didn't happen right away, however, as the Evo driver just accelerated mildly. Feeling somewhat disappointed that he didn't punch it, we slowly cleared the cars in the other lanes, and I managed to pull along the passenger side and glance over. My gaze was met by his female partner, who seemed to have a disapproving look on her face. I paced them for a few moments, and then backed off. The light up ahead was red, and I needed to get over a few lanes in order for both of us to line up at the front of the upcoming intersection.

The light turned green just as we both came to a stop. I was already in 1st gear ready to drop the hammer. I expected the Evo to jump out, but the quick green meant that he didn't have his revs up for a full launch. Hence, we both eased off the line, holding 1st gear. I was perhaps a half car in front of him, when I heard the suddenly increased volume of air whooshing through his turbocharged motor. My response was instantaneous, and the GTO lept forward as well. My shiftlight quickly blinked, and I threw it into 2nd. The Evo was still at my back quarter panel. The shiftlight soon blinked again, and the tires barked as I forcefullly slammed 3rd gear. Thinking to myself that the LS1 would now start pulling away from the Evo, I wasn't aware that the Mitsubishi had other intentions... The bright blue 4 door pulled even with me as I was climbing in 3rd gear. He briefly dropped back no more than a few feet as he shifted, but pulled even again as my shiftlight told me that I was at redline in 3rd. I ripped the GTO into 4th, and the candy blue Evo gently pulled ahead at a slow, but definitive rate.

After a brief moment, it was clear that this particular AWD competitor had more than just a down low punch, and that I likely wasn't going to catch up unless he botched his next shift. I braked and slowed, while he did the same. Humbled now, but still in a good mood, I pulled next to them at the approaching red light while they sat in the right turn lane. Thumbs up and smiles were exchanged yet again within the span of a minute, and we both went our separate ways. Well, you win some, and you lose some...

2007 VW GTI 6 spd. No times yet
    2000 Firehawk convertible 6spd- 12.52 @ 114.7 mph. 2.09 60'

Sold: 2004 Mini Cooper S. 14.95 @ 93.8 mph.
    Sold: 2004 GTO 6 spd. 13.4 @ 104.5 mph
    Sold: 2002 WRX 5spd. 13.39 @100.7 mph. 1.81 60'

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Good runs, you never know with Evo's.
    2009 wrx Dark grey metallic

Good runs.
    Just call me Clark Kent
    ---------------------------------------
    Offical Body Guard for the Bugeye Mafia.

97 GT vert is kinda... slow? Verts also have a bit softer suspension, (to go with the "touring" aspects of the car). I would have been suprised if he had given you any real competition at all.

But it is cool when you get the thumbs instead of the finger. Shows maturity.
    Family fun: 2010 BMW M3 Sedan; STOCK
    Single fun: 2012 Mustang Boss 302; STOCK
    SOLD to my Brother: 02 WRX Sedan / Short throw, K+N drop in, Helix up and down pipe, Borla Hush twin tip, Whiteline sways and endlinks, KYB GR2s, Swift springs, Cobb Stage 2
    SOLD: 05 Mustang GT Convertible / blown and tuned by Dynospeed Racing, Memphis TN

Quote Originally Posted by Herknav View Post
    97 GT vert is kinda... slow? Verts also have a bit softer suspension, (to go with the "touring" aspects of the car). I would have been suprised if he had given you any real competition at all.

But it is cool when you get the thumbs instead of the finger. Shows maturity.
    True that. My old Maxima was able to take vert 94-98 gt's, lol
    Just call me Clark Kent
    ---------------------------------------
    Offical Body Guard for the Bugeye Mafia.

I truly didn't expect much from the GT, hence the reason I toyed with him a little bit. The sound of his exhaust made me think he at least had some minor bolt ons and exhaust work, however... Or, I could just fib and tell people it was a Cobra.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan00Hawk View Post

Vs Evo

The GTO felt like a pitbull straining at it's collar waiting to be unleashed...

Perfect description, I miss those days with my Cobra!

Nice kill on the stang and a decent battle with the Evo! Must have been an adrenaline filled time!
    Current Vehicle: 2006 Volvo S60 R Sonic Blue/Atacama
    SOLD:
    2006 Graphite Gray Evo IX
    2004 STi
    2003 SVT Cobra
    2003 SVT Lightning
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffbmx00 View Post
    my friend has a 5.0 too, they are slow, the only way to decently make them fast is to drop a v8 explorer engine in them.

Edit. Nevermind.
    Good runs.

Sweet novel
    94 Anthracite 6spd Supra - 9.87@147

LS2 RX7-2014 Tundra DC-GD Race Car In Progress

good job man

jw does your shifter feel really loose almost liek it is in a vat of jello ive driving them a few times and there shifter shifter always felt really weak and loose just wonder if that was from people beating on them or just a poncho desing
    Tomorrow isn't a guarantee.

Quote Originally Posted by Newks View Post
    good job man

jw does your shifter feel really loose almost liek it is in a vat of jello ive driving them a few times and there shifter shifter always felt really weak and loose just wonder if that was from people beating on them or just a poncho desing
    The stock GTO shifter is a bit rubbery compared to an STi or my Firehawk (same trans as the GTO) for example. I believe it has more to do with the way the engineers tried to absorb noise and vibration in the GTO than with it's strength, however. There are a couple of aftermarket shifters that are firmer and shorter, but they also transmit more harshness to the driver. Fine for most enthusiasts, but a turn-off for most of the target consumers...

Quote Originally Posted by LeeC View Post
    Sweet novel
    I like to think that my English teacher would be proud...

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.