Voters
60. You may not vote on this poll
  • 2002 Cobb Stage I 5 speed WRX

11 18.33%
  • 2002 SLP SS 6 speed Camaro

49 81.67%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

This is a discussion on 2002 Cobb Stage I WRX vs 2002 SS Camaro within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; There is more to a race then just the car. So this sunday my two friends will be racing their ...

2002 Cobb Stage I WRX vs 2002 SS Camaro

There is more to a race then just the car. So this sunday my two friends will be racing their cars

Dave - 2002 Cobb Stage I 5 speed wrx (other mods, short throw shifter, silencer delete)

Tracy - 2002 Camaro SS SLP 6 speed (other mods...bone stock)

So here is some backround info. Both of them raced at the same dragstrip in the summer in 80 degree weather. The interiors were left alone and so were the tire pressure, both ran on normal fuel not race gas. The WRX was run 1 day after my friend bought his first awd car so his driving of the car was limited, Tracy has owned the SS for a couple of years now. The SS was driven with the traction control on and the WRX was driven when it was bone stock. There best times are as follows.

WRX (stock) - 14.7@91.5mph
    SS Camaro (slipping clutch ran with traction control on) - 14.4@101mph

Now they will be racing again sunday, temps will be in the mid 40s, wrx is now stage I, camaro has a new clutch and will be run without traction control. Tire pressures will be fiddled with, interiors may or may not be taken out. Both cars will most likely run normal gas and not race fuel but that is not confirmed yet.

Some things to think about

SS will be driving without traction control on in cold weather, obviously the driver isn't the best and may have traction issues on non slicks. SS now has a new clutch.

WRX driver now has alot more practice with the car, it is now stage I, cold weather will help being 40 degrees cooler out.

Now before you go bashing their times and stuff, this is all for fun, sure the SS is alot faster, but it all comes down to the owners, pick who you think will win and I will report back the outcome on sunday. Thanks and have fun.
    2005 WRX (Short throw shifter, lightweight pulley,STI Splitters,Tein H-Tech springs,Up/Down Pipe, ERZ Catback, Cobb Stage 2, ASA JH8 with Yokohama ES 100s) 13.680@100.46mph

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

The SS will own it, I use to have one with a K&N drop in and some BFG drag radials. My best time with it was a 12.97@106mph. I would do a full tune up on the wrx, plugs, COIL's, fuel filter, K&N drop in. I did all that and trapped 95.7mph in a 03 stock wagon in 80* heat. His trap seems really low for a stock wrx.

If the SS driver cant drive the wrx might come out on top, but the camaro is still about 100hp ahead. They dyno at almost 300whp stock.
    Last edited by MJez; 11-16-2006 at 06:07 PM. Reason: for being raterded

Quote Originally Posted by MJez View Post
    The SS will own it, I use to have one with a K&N drop in and some BFG drag radials. My best time with it was a 12.97@106mph. I would do a full tune up on the wrx, plugs, wires, fuel filter, K&N drop in. I did all that and trapped 95.7mph in a 03 stock wagon in 80* heat. His trap seems really low for a stock wrx.

If the SS driver cant drive the wrx might come out on top, but the camaro is still about 100hp ahead. They dyno at almost 300whp stock.
    Well i posted their times from before and now they are running again. Two words. Driver Mod.
    2005 WRX (Short throw shifter, lightweight pulley,STI Splitters,Tein H-Tech springs,Up/Down Pipe, ERZ Catback, Cobb Stage 2, ASA JH8 with Yokohama ES 100s) 13.680@100.46mph

Quote Originally Posted by MJez View Post
    The SS will own it, I use to have one with a K&N drop in and some BFG drag radials. My best time with it was a 12.97@106mph. I would do a full tune up on the wrx, plugs, wires, fuel filter, K&N drop in. I did all that and trapped 95.7mph in a 03 stock wagon in 80* heat. His trap seems really low for a stock wrx.

good luck finding wires for wrx's
    14.160@96.011
    90 degree weather
    airhog, removed silencer, and removed stock catback exhaust (stock DPs in place) and craptacular california 91 octane piss water

You would have to be retarded to vote for the wrx here.

Stock SLP SS's have run high 12's completely stock numerous times, and even crappy drivers can get mid 13's with the car. I would hope this guy has learned to drive his car a bit better, and now that his clutch is working properly he should own the hell of this wrx.

Stage1 wrx is lucky to break into high 13's even with a good driver. SS's are in STi territory.
    Just call me Clark Kent
    ---------------------------------------
    Offical Body Guard for the Bugeye Mafia.

Quote Originally Posted by blackrex02 View Post
    good luck finding wires for wrx's
    Haha yeah, i ment coil packs. Noob mistake

basically to summarize you vs SS = rapage
    FORZA FERRARI
    BLOBEYE SYNDICATE (retired) #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Integra96 View Post
    One day I hope to buy a car that is lubricated exclusively by pure manatee oil.

A wrx challenging an SS Camaro to a drag is like a rabbit racing a shark in the Ocean. Nuff said.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Aerophyre View Post
    A wrx challenging an SS Camaro to a drag is like a rabbit racing a shark in the Ocean. Nuff said.
    If the shark can't swim, anything is possible.

Years back I repeatedly beat my friends 5sp TPI IROC Camaro with my 1.7l 83 Jetta. He couldn't launch for isht, and kept losing traction. I couldn't lose traction if I tried.

Look at what u said though. Cluthc was slipping in the SS. WRX will get pwned...

Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex View Post
    If the shark can't swim, anything is possible.

Years back I repeatedly beat my friends 5sp TPI IROC Camaro with my 1.7l 83 Jetta. He couldn't launch for isht, and kept losing traction. I couldn't lose traction if I tried.

Yeah i think the people here are forgetting the biggest thing, and thats the driver, a crappy driver won't run mid 13s, a good driver will run mid 13s, a great driver low 13s and a crappy driver 14s, I have seen plenty of LS1's run 14s and those are the crappy drivers, hell i ran a C5 at the track and he ran a 14.7 thats a crappy driver.

2002's are the strongest year LS1's, usually trapping 2-3 mph more than the previous models. As long as the driver doesn't blow off the tires at the launch, the WRX is toast. The Camaro will walk right on by from second gear onward. It's that much faster than the WRX.
    John M
    2000 Lincoln Continental - slow DD with the DOHC 4.6 and a Superchips tune
    1992 Lexus SC400 - slow resto project
    2005 Legacy GT Limited - SOLD Feb 2011 - Forged internals, FP HTA Green @ 22 psi.

Quote Originally Posted by elohdaeh78 View Post
    Yeah i think the people here are forgetting the biggest thing, and thats the driver, a crappy driver won't run mid 13s, a good driver will run mid 13s, a great driver low 13s and a crappy driver 14s, I have seen plenty of LS1's run 14s and those are the crappy drivers, hell i ran a C5 at the track and he ran a 14.7 thats a crappy driver.
    Yeah, but regardless of his driving capabilities, a big reason for that 14.4 he ran was due to a slipping clutch. A slipping clutch can make a big difference, especially in a car like that where you need to watch where you launch and how much you spin.

I am going to assume that since then he has gotten the clutch fixed and learned how to drive his car at least a "little" better. And that equates to 13sec time slips and regardless of his launch, trap speeds over 105mph.

WRX = toast.
    Just call me Clark Kent

Quote Originally Posted by DTR rex View Post
    Yeah, but regardless of his driving capabilities, a big reason for that 14.4 he ran was due to a slipping clutch. A slipping clutch can make a big difference, especially in a car like that where you need to watch where you launch and how much you spin.

I am going to assume that since then he has gotten the clutch fixed and learned how to drive his car at least a "little" better. And that equates to 13sec time slips and regardless of his launch, trap speeds over 105mph.

WRX = toast.

Its a "she" I don't think her driving skills are any better since she did have the car for a couple of years already, the clutch may or may not play a big part in this I don't know how badly it was slipping when she ran her car, but she did take it to the track 2 times and her best was a 14.4. She was racing with the TC on which makes the car a good bit slower, but also limits your error during launching. I think the big thing here is that she is now racing in 40 degree weather with the TC off, so not only will she have less traction with the TC off but the cold weather will also hurt her traction. There is no contest here in which car is the faster car, everyone knows the SS is the faster car, but like I said before I ran a C5 two weekends ago and he ran a 14.7, when my brother got his 2002 WRX back in 2001 he ran a C5 that ran a 14.1 consistantly. The same day I ran the C5 a different SS SLP bone stock ran a 13.6 and all his friends including the driver were very impressed/shocked at how good of a time he ran. I know a kid with a bone stock WS6 that can't break into the 14s and he has taken it to the track a good number of times, I also have a friend with a 2002 WS6 that ran a 13.3 bone stock and a 12.9 with headers and exhaust. I guess all we have to do is wait till sunday to see, this is a race about a slower car with a better driver against a faster car with a worse driver, its not a race with equal drivers thats for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by elohdaeh78 View Post
    I guess all we have to do is wait till sunday to see
    Indeed.
    Just call me Clark Kent

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.