Voters
60. You may not vote on this poll
  • 2002 Cobb Stage I 5 speed WRX

11 18.33%
  • 2002 SLP SS 6 speed Camaro

49 81.67%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

This is a discussion on 2002 Cobb Stage I WRX vs 2002 SS Camaro within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally Posted by elohdaeh78 . Basically what it comes down to is that a great driver compared to a below ...

Quote Originally Posted by elohdaeh78 View Post
    . Basically what it comes down to is that a great driver compared to a below average driver can make a full second or more of a difference. .

No. If the bad driver screws the driving up enough then they can easily be beat by a slower car, excellent driver or not, hell an average driver of a stcok WRX could have beat those pitiful times. The race depended on how bad the driver of the faster car is. That WRX is a high 13/low 14 second car, it cannot go faster than that. The SS was driven to almost 2 full seconds slower than its ideal capabilities, that is enough lack of driving skills to lose to almost anything, not just a stage 1 WRX. Congrats to the WRX Driver but this is purely an example of bad driving/non-aggressive driving.
    Current Vehicle: 2006 Volvo S60 R Sonic Blue/Atacama
    SOLD:
    2006 Graphite Gray Evo IX
    2004 STi
    2003 SVT Cobra
    2003 SVT Lightning
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffbmx00 View Post
    my friend has a 5.0 too, they are slow, the only way to decently make them fast is to drop a v8 explorer engine in them.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Juice33 View Post
    this is purely an example of bad driving/non-aggressive driving.
    Or over aggressive driving. Breaking the tires loose on a high hp RWD car isn't difficult to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex View Post
    Or over aggressive driving. Breaking the tires loose on a high hp RWD car isn't difficult to do.
    True, it is easy to brake the tires loose and ruin a run, I know. And I agree that the tires were most likely being spun off the line, I just think it may be possible that the driver may have been shifting lazily and not taking full advantage of the moment, but anything is possible.
    Current Vehicle: 2006 Volvo S60 R Sonic Blue/Atacama
    SOLD:
    2006 Graphite Gray Evo IX
    2004 STi
    2003 SVT Cobra
    2003 SVT Lightning
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffbmx00 View Post
    my friend has a 5.0 too, they are slow, the only way to decently make them fast is to drop a v8 explorer engine in them.

Well I'm beggining to believe anything is possible. I was talking to a friend of mine with (who goes to a college out of state, well keep it generic to save anyone embarassment) and we were talking about drage racing. I mentioned this story and he told me that he somehow managed to get a 15.6 out of 05 GTO w/intakt,headers and catback.

I thought he was joking but he was 100% serious. Crazy
    FORZA FERRARI
    BLOBEYE SYNDICATE (retired) #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Integra96 View Post
    One day I hope to buy a car that is lubricated exclusively by pure manatee oil.

Your friends should have switch cars at the track and see what the results would have been. Normally I don't recommend an automatic, but it sounds like this girl could really use an automatic. Even the automatic z28 w/ls1 runs in the 13s.
    2005 Mazda 6 3.0L V6 5spd
    My CarDomain Site

Quote Originally Posted by Dan00Hawk View Post
    Good analysis in this thread. Would like to know if the SS was spinning it's tires badly, or granny shifting, or if any attempt was made to help the owner improve her technique.

I did try to give her some tips, but its just that she isn't a good driver. She had slight wheel spin off the line, but was not coming off the line to hard. Watching her go down the track was painful it looked so slow lol, she told me she was shifting at redline, but if i had to guess it was her slow shifting that made her run the slow times she did, she could have come off the line a little harder but with the tires she had in the cold weather without doing a burnout she could only do some much to come off the line without spinning the tires. She did drive my wrx one time and seemed to be able to drive it really well, and i did drive her SS two times and the car seems strong and doesn't have any problems that i can notice, it only has 50k or so miles on it. There was a kid there with an SLP SS that ran a 13.1@109mph with open headers and a tune and he was trying to give her tips, not sure if she listened or used his advice, but he ran a 13.6@108mph bone stock when i ran my 13.6@101mph in my Stage II wrx two weeks prior.
    2005 WRX (Short throw shifter, lightweight pulley,STI Splitters,Tein H-Tech springs,Up/Down Pipe, ERZ Catback, Cobb Stage 2, ASA JH8 with Yokohama ES 100s) 13.680@100.46mph

Quote Originally Posted by Skunkers View Post
    From a roll that's not really true. Unless the Z driver is granny shifting *bad* (like 2-3+ second shifts) it's still probably gonna pull a stage 2 from a roll. Assuming the driver has the pedal on the floor anyway. And when you say from a roll, you aren't really specifying what speed the race ends. I guarentee, crappy driver or not, the Z will pull hard above 120mph.

On a drag strip though, I agree 100%.
    I am not talking 120mph plus im talking 20, 30, 40, 50, even 60mph rolls up to 100 or so. My best trap speed in my 05 stage II wrx was 101 which is better then most 350Zs will trap and im sure with practice i could get a 102 trap. I think i could take a stock 350Z from any rolling speed up till 100mph or so. I have never ever seen a stock 350Z trap 100mph, im sure it has been done but its not common at the track i go to.
    2005 WRX (Short throw shifter, lightweight pulley,STI Splitters,Tein H-Tech springs,Up/Down Pipe, ERZ Catback, Cobb Stage 2, ASA JH8 with Yokohama ES 100s) 13.680@100.46mph

Ok here is the main thing i was trying to point out with the results. I know and everyone else knows here that the SS is a much faster car on paper. Yes a full second looks like a lot on paper, and with two equal drivers it will be roughly 10 car lengths in the 1/4 mile, but what i was trying to point out is that even with a driver trying to drive the car and trying to beat the other car, they could still lose as in this case if they are not a good driver. She isn't horrible and i know that seems impossible with her times, but she didn't miss a shift a 2.2 60 foot isn't "that" bad, the only thing i can assume is that she was not slamming the gears and just granny shifting them. Her time is about 1.2 seconds slower then what you tend to see a stock SS run at the track we run on, i don't care if they run 13.1s or 12.9s other places, they don't run that by me, they run 13.3s - 13.6s with decent drivers and believe it or not i have seen a few others run consistant 14s, which yes is slow, but she isn't the first, granted the others were 14.0s but still. So this just goes to show you how little a second means, im not trying to take anything away from the SS, i know if my friend with the wrx got in the SS he would have easily ran in the 13s with it, i know this race was determined by the driver, but it just goes to show that sometimes when people post races against cars that are faster and they say they win and people throw up the BS flag or say the person was not racing, it might actually not be the case, with a less then stellar lol driver this can happen with any car in any situation. This was at a dragstrip with 5 runs all timed, she didn't miss her shifts there wasen't any of that i wonder if she was trying, i wonder if she spun her tires i wonder if she had 1000lbs of luggage in the car. And before the race i even told my friend, if she drives that car right you have no chance and he even agreed, but turns out she couldnt' drive the car to enough of its potential to beat the wrx. There were two wrx's also at the track that had sti wings and they both were running consistant 15 second runs. I know everyone here has seen those wrxs that run mid 15s all day long at like 89mph, there is one of them at the track everytime i go, and that is just as far off as the SS running 14.7s not everyone is a good driver.
    Last edited by elohdaeh78; 11-20-2006 at 01:59 PM.

The Camaro will obliterate the WRX. My money goes on the Camaro.

I can't be partial, as I own one of each....a Camaro and a WRX STi.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Flat 4 View Post
    The Camaro will obliterate the WRX. My money goes on the Camaro.

I can't be partial, as I own one of each....a Camaro and a WRX STi.
    Umm....read the thread?

Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex View Post
    Umm....read the thread?
    Umm, take your own advice? What else is there to read? I read his first post and posted based on what he said. There is no reason to read every single post in this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by elohdaeh78
    pick who you think will win and I will report back the outcome on sunday. Thanks and have fun.
    I will repeat. I think the Camaro will obliterate the WRX Stage 1. It was even mentioned in the first post that the Camaro had launched with the traction control on. If the traction control had been cut off, the Camaro's times would've been greatly improved.

Umm, take your own advice? What else is there to read? I read his first post and posted based on what he said. There is no reason to read every single post in this thread.

I will repeat. I think the Camaro will obliterate the WRX Stage 1. It was even mentioned in the first post that the Camaro had launched with the traction control on. If the traction control had been cut off, the Camaro's times would've been greatly improved.

He was saying read the thread because the race already happened and i posted the results.

He was saying read the thread because the race already happened and i posted the results.
    D'oh! My bad.

Ok here is the main thing i was trying to point out with the results. I know and everyone else knows here that the SS is a much faster car on paper. Yes a full second looks like a lot on paper, and with two equal drivers it will be roughly 10 car lengths in the 1/4 mile, but what i was trying to point out is that even with a driver trying to drive the car and trying to beat the other car, they could still lose as in this case if they are not a good driver. She isn't horrible and i know that seems impossible with her times, but she didn't miss a shift a 2.2 60 foot isn't "that" bad, the only thing i can assume is that she was not slamming the gears and just granny shifting them. Her time is about 1.2 seconds slower then what you tend to see a stock SS run at the track we run on, i don't care if they run 13.1s or 12.9s other places, they don't run that by me, they run 13.3s - 13.6s with decent drivers and believe it or not i have seen a few others run consistant 14s, which yes is slow, but she isn't the first, granted the others were 14.0s but still. So this just goes to show you how little a second means, im not trying to take anything away from the SS, i know if my friend with the wrx got in the SS he would have easily ran in the 13s with it, i know this race was determined by the driver, but it just goes to show that sometimes when people post races against cars that are faster and they say they win and people throw up the BS flag or say the person was not racing, it might actually not be the case, with a less then stellar lol driver this can happen with any car in any situation. This was at a dragstrip with 5 runs all timed, she didn't miss her shifts there wasen't any of that i wonder if she was trying, i wonder if she spun her tires i wonder if she had 1000lbs of luggage in the car. And before the race i even told my friend, if she drives that car right you have no chance and he even agreed, but turns out she couldnt' drive the car to enough of its potential to beat the wrx. There were two wrx's also at the track that had sti wings and they both were running consistant 15 second runs. I know everyone here has seen those wrxs that run mid 15s all day long at like 89mph, there is one of them at the track everytime i go, and that is just as far off as the SS running 14.7s not everyone is a good driver.
    I've never seen one of these "magical" LS1 Camaros run faster than a 13.60 in bone stock trim at the track either, yet I keep hearing about these "common" 13.10s-13.20s for LS1 F-Bodies....

I Support ClubWRX

D'oh! My bad.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.