View Poll Results: Who will win.

Voters
60. You may not vote on this poll
  • 2002 Cobb Stage I 5 speed WRX

11 18.33%
  • 2002 SLP SS 6 speed Camaro

49 81.67%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

This is a discussion on 2002 Cobb Stage I WRX vs 2002 SS Camaro within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Traction control kills a car, not just slows it down. The traction control stops power from going to the wheels, ...

Traction control kills a car, not just slows it down. The traction control stops power from going to the wheels, basically shutting the car down (this is how it worked on my Cobra, I am assuming it is the same with the SS). This is not a drivers race, but it will only be lost because the driver of the SS is incredibly crappy at driving the car. If the WRX driver was a little better driver than the SS driver, the WRX would not have a chance. The cars are completely unequal. But a sever lack of driving skill will be the only reason the SS loses, not due to the WRX drivers skills.
    Current Vehicle: 2006 Volvo S60 R Sonic Blue/Atacama
    SOLD:
    2006 Graphite Gray Evo IX
    2004 STi
    2003 SVT Cobra
    2003 SVT Lightning
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffbmx00 View Post
    my friend has a 5.0 too, they are slow, the only way to decently make them fast is to drop a v8 explorer engine in them.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Juice33 View Post
    Traction control kills a car, not just slows it down. The traction control stops power from going to the wheels, basically shutting the car down (this is how it worked on my Cobra, I am assuming it is the same with the SS). This is not a drivers race, but it will only be lost because the driver of the SS is incredibly crappy at driving the car. If the WRX driver was a little better driver than the SS driver, the WRX would not have a chance. The cars are completely unequal. But a sever lack of driving skill will be the only reason the SS loses, not due to the WRX drivers skills.
    Well said.
    Just call me Clark Kent
    ---------------------------------------
    Offical Body Guard for the Bugeye Mafia.

The traction control (called ASR on the Camaros) can do a combination of pulling timing, closing the throttle (gas pedal kicks back), and applying the rear brakes. Unless a driver has no concept of how to manually control wheelspin by feathering the throttle, the ASR will hurt the SS's acceleration, even on a cold track. Since it's at a track (good to hear it's not being done on the street), there should be some track prep with VHT that'll help the SS with traction, despite the cold conditions. Even "launching" the SS at idle should yield a 2.1 or 2.2 60' time with the Traction control turned off. The SS may get some wheelspin on the 1 to 2 shift as well, though, since there usually isn't much VHT laid down out past the starting line area.

It can be difficult for an unskilled driver in an SS (or any other muscle car) to watch a WRX (or any other AWD turbo) launch to a 2 car lead, and be able to resist mashing the gas and subsequently lighting up the tires in an attempt to reel the WRX back in. The SS driver simply has to acknowledge giving up a little at the start and then rely on HP to take over further down the track...

I suspect that the unskilled SS driver will manage the best overall run of the day, but that the WRX driver will likely be more consistent and have more head to head wins if they line up a few times.

2007 VW GTI 6 spd. No times yet
    2000 Firehawk convertible 6spd- 12.52 @ 114.7 mph. 2.09 60'

Sold: 2004 Mini Cooper S. 14.95 @ 93.8 mph.
    Sold: 2004 GTO 6 spd. 13.4 @ 104.5 mph
    Sold: 2002 WRX 5spd. 13.39 @100.7 mph. 1.81 60'

Race is on for 10am tomorrow, I will report back with the results tomorrow.
    2005 WRX (Short throw shifter, lightweight pulley,STI Splitters,Tein H-Tech springs,Up/Down Pipe, ERZ Catback, Cobb Stage 2, ASA JH8 with Yokohama ES 100s) 13.680@100.46mph

The results from the special olympics of dragracing are in.

Track Temp 45 Degrees

SS ran regular fuel with 1/4 of a tank, interior was left in got in 5 runs, took TC off.

WRX ran regular fuel with 1/4 of a tank, interior was left in got in 4 runs, tire pressure put to 42psi. Flashed to Cobb Stage I less then 1 day before race, not much time for ECU to learn.

Best Runs.

SS - 14.648@101.XXmph

WRX - 14.381@92.XXmph

The SS has been to the track 3 times and made a total of around 15 passes
    The WRX has been to the track once stock for 5 runs and once stage I for 5 runs for a total of 10 runs.

Impressive car of the day MKIV supra running street legal tires 9.6@145mph.

So if anyone ever says that they beat an SLP SS 6 speed with a stage I or even stock wrx its 100 percent possible. There is a big enough difference in the driver mod for it to be done, and it was proved today. Thanks for voting and congrats for those that voted for the WRX.
    Last edited by elohdaeh78; 11-19-2006 at 02:38 PM.
    2005 WRX (Short throw shifter, lightweight pulley,STI Splitters,Tein H-Tech springs,Up/Down Pipe, ERZ Catback, Cobb Stage 2, ASA JH8 with Yokohama ES 100s) 13.680@100.46mph

I Support ClubWRX

C'mon mag racers! Explain it!

Thats crazy.

Goes to show anythings possible.

a trap of 101 AND A 14.6.
    FORZA FERRARI
    BLOBEYE SYNDICATE (retired) #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Integra96 View Post
    One day I hope to buy a car that is lubricated exclusively by pure manatee oil.

It's called not knowing how to drive the car you own...
    Family fun: 2010 BMW M3 Sedan; STOCK
    Single fun: 2012 Mustang Boss 302; STOCK
    SOLD to my Brother: 02 WRX Sedan / Short throw, K+N drop in, Helix up and down pipe, Borla Hush twin tip, Whiteline sways and endlinks, KYB GR2s, Swift springs, Cobb Stage 2
    SOLD: 05 Mustang GT Convertible / blown and tuned by Dynospeed Racing, Memphis TN

Quote Originally Posted by Herknav View Post
    It's called not knowing how to drive the car you own...

I think this just proves that people throw up the or the "they weren't racing" response to often. Yes the SS owner isn't a great or even good driver, but the simple fact is that she was trying to beat him, they even had a friendly bet going, she has run her car a few times at the track, so she was racing. I think what most people don't realize is that "most" people are not good drivers and will run a good amount below what a "good" driver will run. I have seen it many many times, and this was not one bad run that the wrx happened to win, it was 15 runs on 3 different trips to the track. So this basically shows that a well driven slower car is very capable of beating a poorly driven faster car. I saw a 350Z run 15s all day long today at 97mph, so when someone says can a Stage II wrx keep up with a 350Z from a roll and the response is no, thats not always the case, i trapt at 101mph in my stage II wrx. Basically what it comes down to is that a great driver compared to a below average driver can make a full second or more of a difference. I drove the SS home from the track, and it seems pretty fast, there is nothing wrong with the car, but I could def see my Stage II wrx easily giving it a run for its money even if it was driven by a decent driver.

Quote Originally Posted by elohdaeh78 View Post
    I think this just proves that people throw up the or the "they weren't racing" response to often. Yes the SS owner isn't a great or even good driver, but the simple fact is that she was trying to beat him, they even had a friendly bet going, she has run her car a few times at the track, so she was racing. I think what most people don't realize is that "most" people are not good drivers and will run a good amount below what a "good" driver will run. I have seen it many many times, and this was not one bad run that the wrx happened to win, it was 15 runs on 3 different trips to the track. So this basically shows that a well driven slower car is very capable of beating a poorly driven faster car. I saw a 350Z run 15s all day long today at 97mph, so when someone says can a Stage II wrx keep up with a 350Z from a roll and the response is no, thats not always the case, i trapt at 101mph in my stage II wrx. Basically what it comes down to is that a great driver compared to a below average driver can make a full second or more of a difference. I drove the SS home from the track, and it seems pretty fast, there is nothing wrong with the car, but I could def see my Stage II wrx easily giving it a run for its money even if it was driven by a decent driver.
    I agree with that but whats not right is when people use it to make decisions on which car is faster. Because some idiot in a SS runs a high 14 doesn't mean all WRX are faster. It's just luck.
    FORZA FERRARI

Quote Originally Posted by cavallino333 View Post
    I agree with that but whats not right is when people use it to make decisions on which car is faster. Because some idiot in a SS runs a high 14 doesn't mean all WRX are faster. It's just luck.
    Very true, the SS is a much faster car, everyone knew that going into the race, it was just a matter of how much the wrx could make up in having a better driver behind the wheel. When people have certain cars and say their car runs this or that because of what they read on a board or in a mag i simply say. "a car is only as fast as its driver" and that is such an important thing that people forget. Alot of people think that cause someone on a msg board ran a 12.9 in a "stock" SS that thats what they could run if they really tried, but i would say 95 percent of people that buy a car never dragrace it and don't realize how little it takes to run .5 seconds slower, they just have no concept of how much practice it takes to run that time or how much the outside conditions, track and temp can change things.
    Last edited by elohdaeh78; 11-19-2006 at 04:57 PM.

"a car is only as fast as its driver"

agreed, anything is possible
    FORZA FERRARI

That is absolutely ridiculous. Props to your friend for the win, but that SS driver is a shame to the entire LS1 community.

With those times my bolt on GSR would have ran with that SS and my bolt on WRX would have put 10 cars on it
    Just call me Clark Kent
    ---------------------------------------
    Offical Body Guard for the Bugeye Mafia.

Good analysis in this thread. Would like to know if the SS was spinning it's tires badly, or granny shifting, or if any attempt was made to help the owner improve her technique.

2007 VW GTI 6 spd. No times yet
    2000 Firehawk convertible 6spd- 12.52 @ 114.7 mph. 2.09 60'

Sold: 2004 Mini Cooper S. 14.95 @ 93.8 mph.
    Sold: 2004 GTO 6 spd. 13.4 @ 104.5 mph
    Sold: 2002 WRX 5spd. 13.39 @100.7 mph. 1.81 60'

So this basically shows that a well driven slower car is very capable of beating a poorly driven faster car. I saw a 350Z run 15s all day long today at 97mph, so when someone says can a Stage II wrx keep up with a 350Z from a roll and the response is no, thats not always the case, i trapt at 101mph in my stage II wrx. Basically what it comes down to is that a great driver compared to a below average driver can make a full second or more of a difference.
    From a roll that's not really true. Unless the Z driver is granny shifting *bad* (like 2-3+ second shifts) it's still probably gonna pull a stage 2 from a roll. Assuming the driver has the pedal on the floor anyway. And when you say from a roll, you aren't really specifying what speed the race ends. I guarentee, crappy driver or not, the Z will pull hard above 120mph.

On a drag strip though, I agree 100%.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast