Trailing a E39 M5...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Trailing a E39 M5... within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Every once in a while I see this guy with a cool silver M5 driving/speeding on my local 267 and ...

Trailing a E39 M5...

Every once in a while I see this guy with a cool silver M5 driving/speeding on my local 267 and 495. I'm sure the only mod he's got is the exhaust, which does the V8 justice. Anyway, back when I had my '04 WRX (HKS Carbon Ti), I knew I had zippy chance, but now that I have an STi, I noticed I was as fast, if not slightly faster than his car (35-80 mph).

Could someone confirm if this is true? I'm pretty sure had the road been stretched a bit more, he could have done some damage - who knows - I don't really 'race' much, but I'm pretty sure these M5s trapped at around 105-107, which isn't that much more than the STi.
    Gian - '06 Aspen White STi
    My site.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by onoitsaWRX View Post
    Every once in a while I see this guy with a cool silver M5 driving/speeding on my local 267 and 495. I'm sure the only mod he's got is the exhaust, which does the V8 justice. Anyway, back when I had my '04 WRX (HKS Carbon Ti), I knew I had zippy chance, but now that I have an STi, I noticed I was as fast, if not slightly faster than his car (35-80 mph).

Could someone confirm if this is true? I'm pretty sure had the road been stretched a bit more, he could have done some damage - who knows - I don't really 'race' much, but I'm pretty sure these M5s trapped at around 105-107, which isn't that much more than the STi.
    Yep very true, with my current mod list, i can pull on our E39 modded M5.

Groupp-m intakes, Supersprint exhaust with x pipe stage 2 reflash. But now that has been de-moded and being traded in to make room for the new 06 M5. I cant wait.. !!!!
    2003 Platinum Silver Metalic Sedan
    VF-34 Powered
    My Mods
    Quote Originally Posted by Yossarian
    Even if your car was stock, your chances of warranty coverage are about as good as a retarded chimp trying to do a calculus problem while high on pcp.

Quote Originally Posted by enash99 View Post
    Yep very true, with my current mod list, i can pull on our E39 modded M5.

Groupp-m intakes, Supersprint exhaust with x pipe stage 2 reflash. But now that has been de-moded and being traded in to make room for the new 06 M5. I cant wait.. !!!!
    Damn dude, what to do you for a living?? Those things are like $80,000!!!

If you have some spare change I can send you my paypal account info and give you an opportunity to feel good about helping the poor...after all, giving is better than recieving...right??
    HAWK-EYE ALLIANCE #44
    2006 SGM WRX
    Cobb Stage 2
    APS 3" Catted TBE
    H-Tech Springs
    Eibach 10mm Spacers

It really all depends. In a race from 30-80 I would give it to an M5 seeing as it will be able to run through much of 3rd gear and 3rd in that car is pretty nuts. Plus, when driven properly they trap 107/108mph compared to an STi's 104/105. Again though, there is still a decent possiblity to could run with him or edge him out if he does not drive it very well. Anything faster will just get worse for you though. If you catch him at a light though, your chances of taking him are much better.
    Just call me Clark Kent
    ---------------------------------------
    Offical Body Guard for the Bugeye Mafia.

Thanks for the explanation. It's pretty nice to know my car's able to keep up with car that costed over $80K and earned the title of fastest sedan in the world at one point.
    Last edited by onoitsaWRX; 11-15-2006 at 08:30 PM.
    Gian - '06 Aspen White STi
    My site.

An M5 at a dyno day last year put down 320 whp with a chip, intake, and exhaust. Stock STi's run about 220 whp, but they're ~800 lbs lighter than the M5.
    N.E. F4
    Mods

Quote Originally Posted by onoitsaWRX View Post
    Thanks for the explanation. It's pretty nice to know my car's able to keep up with car that costed over $80K and earned the title of fastest sedan in the world at one point.
    Well... it's all speculations and stuff as of now, but you know the drill. Do it find out for sure.

Although, it is pretty convincing that the STI may keep up.
    I might be back in the market for the new STI sedan!

the m5 can run stock around a 13.0 @ anywhere from 106-110mph. Its 400hp, from a stop its not as crazy as it is from the roll, especially over 60mph. It seriously starts to move. The STI can probably hit same quarter mile times but traps will be slower, but regardless, even with mods, i think the biggest difference between the STI and the M5 is the wicked top end in the M5. Though, the STI can be made faster a lot easier.
    my R32 on CarDomain

Golf R32
    2004 SL500
    2000 M5 - SS exhaust, Xpipe, AFE Cold Air Intakes, Proj39 Angel Eyes, Carbon Fiber kidney grills, LED taillights... 111mph traps. soon, dinan ecu upgrade.

Some chump in an E39 M5 revved his engine at me at a stoplight some months back when i was stage 1. I launched on him and put about 3 cars on him, let off at like 70mph and got the flyby.

I Support ClubWRX
    0-100 mph=STi FTW
    >100 mph = M5 FTW (buslengths)
    tEh PriUs=teH faSTah!@@!
    08 Audi S5 Black Diamond edition
    SOLD: 05 SWP Legacy GT Limited 5MT, 13.3ish@105 (stage 2) crappy stock clutch
    SOLD: 04 MPS/SW WRX Sti. 12.971 @ 103.97 (stock)
    278 AWHP/283 AWT, Catback exhaust
    306 AWHP/341 AWT, Stage 2
    (Scott) Moderator-STi, Drag Racing, Car Purchasing, and Tutorial Forums

Quote Originally Posted by Skunkers View Post
    Some chump in an E39 M5 revved his engine at me at a stoplight some months back when i was stage 1. I launched on him and put about 3 cars on him, let off at like 70mph and got the flyby.
    So in other words, you launched on him and he didn't launch and he was playing catch-up from 4+ car behind and it really wasn't a race at all
    Just call me Clark Kent
    ---------------------------------------
    Offical Body Guard for the Bugeye Mafia.

Quote Originally Posted by DTR rex View Post
    So in other words, you launched on him and he didn't launch and he was playing catch-up from 4+ car behind and it really wasn't a race at all

werd

i was thinking the same thing, but didnt wanna start anything by posting criticism.
    my R32 on CarDomain

Golf R32
    2004 SL500
    2000 M5 - SS exhaust, Xpipe, AFE Cold Air Intakes, Proj39 Angel Eyes, Carbon Fiber kidney grills, LED taillights... 111mph traps. soon, dinan ecu upgrade.

Quote Originally Posted by Skunkers View Post
    Who is the chump? You challenged him and then quit before he could challenge you back?

A great launch is nothing without a finish... you might as well have sex with yourself...
    Family fun: 2010 BMW M3 Sedan; STOCK
    Single fun: 2012 Mustang Boss 302; STOCK
    SOLD to my Brother: 02 WRX Sedan / Short throw, K+N drop in, Helix up and down pipe, Borla Hush twin tip, Whiteline sways and endlinks, KYB GR2s, Swift springs, Cobb Stage 2
    SOLD: 05 Mustang GT Convertible / blown and tuned by Dynospeed Racing, Memphis TN

Maybe since we have one i can put this into a "real" perspective.

6 races ran

race 1: From a 30 mph roll, I had lenghts on him by 120

race 2: same

race 3: Around 50 - 60 mph (dont remember excatly) to 120 = wrx by a couple of lenghts

race 4 and race 5: from a dig = M5 still looking for traction while i was hitting 2nd. I shut it down at 3rd with 2 bus lenghts between us.

Race 6: another one from 2nd gear roll, I again pulled him.

If you care at all about the clutch in the M5 it is difficult to launch well and still be gental as to not to wear it out to quickly. The clutch doesnt last at all in that car. We have gone through quite a few. BMW has responeded to our inquiry about the weak stock clutch with "this is a natural failure point" this has been built into the drive line for one reason or another.

I actually had the clutch plate come off on me during a run down the 1/8 mile track. We had just had BMW service the car and install a new clutch. Had maybe only 1200 miles on it and i was on my 3rd pass i went to shift out of third and when i pushed in the clutch i heard and felt a loud slam. towed it to BMW and they said their tech didnt correctly install it. So we got another one and this time a flywheel too!

Now if you dont care to much and can replace the clutch when ever you want. Then obviously you will get better times.. We just didnt want to drive ours this hard.
    2003 Platinum Silver Metalic Sedan
    VF-34 Powered
    My Mods
    Quote Originally Posted by Yossarian
    Even if your car was stock, your chances of warranty coverage are about as good as a retarded chimp trying to do a calculus problem while high on pcp.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast