Trailing a E39 M5... - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on Trailing a E39 M5... within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally Posted by enash99 Maybe since we have one i can put this into a "real" perspective. 6 races ran ...

Quote Originally Posted by enash99 View Post
    Maybe since we have one i can put this into a "real" perspective.

6 races ran

race 1: From a 30 mph roll, I had lenghts on him by 120

race 2: same

race 3: Around 50 - 60 mph (dont remember excatly) to 120 = wrx by a couple of lenghts

race 4 and race 5: from a dig = M5 still looking for traction while i was hitting 2nd. I shut it down at 3rd with 2 bus lenghts between us.

Race 6: another one from 2nd gear roll, I again pulled him.

If you care at all about the clutch in the M5 it is difficult to launch well and still be gental as to not to wear it out to quickly. The clutch doesnt last at all in that car. We have gone through quite a few. BMW has responeded to our inquiry about the weak stock clutch with "this is a natural failure point" this has been built into the drive line for one reason or another.

I actually had the clutch plate come off on me during a run down the 1/8 mile track. We had just had BMW service the car and install a new clutch. Had maybe only 1200 miles on it and i was on my 3rd pass i went to shift out of third and when i pushed in the clutch i heard and felt a loud slam. towed it to BMW and they said their tech didnt correctly install it. So we got another one and this time a flywheel too!

Now if you dont care to much and can replace the clutch when ever you want. Then obviously you will get better times.. We just didnt want to drive ours this hard.
    You always say "we have a M5" Who is "we", your family? I am just confused, so I am asking.
    Current Vehicle: 2006 Volvo S60 R Sonic Blue/Atacama
    SOLD:
    2006 Graphite Gray Evo IX
    2004 STi
    2003 SVT Cobra
    2003 SVT Lightning
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffbmx00 View Post
    my friend has a 5.0 too, they are slow, the only way to decently make them fast is to drop a v8 explorer engine in them.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Maybe since we have one i can put this into a "real" perspective.

6 races ran

race 1: From a 30 mph roll, I had lenghts on him by 120

race 2: same

race 3: Around 50 - 60 mph (dont remember excatly) to 120 = wrx by a couple of lenghts

race 4 and race 5: from a dig = M5 still looking for traction while i was hitting 2nd. I shut it down at 3rd with 2 bus lenghts between us.

Race 6: another one from 2nd gear roll, I again pulled him.

If you care at all about the clutch in the M5 it is difficult to launch well and still be gental as to not to wear it out to quickly. The clutch doesnt last at all in that car. We have gone through quite a few. BMW has responeded to our inquiry about the weak stock clutch with "this is a natural failure point" this has been built into the drive line for one reason or another.

I actually had the clutch plate come off on me during a run down the 1/8 mile track. We had just had BMW service the car and install a new clutch. Had maybe only 1200 miles on it and i was on my 3rd pass i went to shift out of third and when i pushed in the clutch i heard and felt a loud slam. towed it to BMW and they said their tech didnt correctly install it. So we got another one and this time a flywheel too!

Now if you dont care to much and can replace the clutch when ever you want. Then obviously you will get better times.. We just didnt want to drive ours this hard.
    what does your car run? it better be able to trap at least 108mph to compete with a M5 from a roll. Granted, from a stop the WRX is strong, but the M5 easily has the capability of catching up. From a roll, i would seriously expect the M5 to pull on you, especially over 100mph where, even though u have a different turbo and mods, the M5 is still stronger stock vs. yours modded top end wise. if you don't believe, ask someone else drive "your guys'" M5 who knows how to drive a RWD german car. Trust me, with a good driver, there wont be excessive spinning from a stop, and with a better driver, which would probably be someone 'outside the group/family of 'we'" they wont have to damage clutches and all that stuff. I would expect a BMW transmission to last longer than a WRX's, especially when all u seem to launch the WRX hard from a stop to get bus lengths in front of the M5, from a stop. 5,000rpm launches mean ur beating up on ur clutch more than a guy driving an m5 launching at 1,500rpm... unless u or ur family or ur guys or whoever 'we' are, are launching the BMW from high rpms, then i can see why the BMW is losing and not getting off the line correctly.

peace
    my R32 on CarDomain

Golf R32
    2004 SL500
    2000 M5 - SS exhaust, Xpipe, AFE Cold Air Intakes, Proj39 Angel Eyes, Carbon Fiber kidney grills, LED taillights... 111mph traps. soon, dinan ecu upgrade.

Quote Originally Posted by Juice33 View Post
    You always say "we have a M5" Who is "we", your family? I am just confused, so I am asking.
    Family

Quote Originally Posted by ellinopedo182 View Post
    what does your car run? it better be able to trap at least 108mph to compete with a M5 from a roll. Granted, from a stop the WRX is strong, but the M5 easily has the capability of catching up. From a roll, i would seriously expect the M5 to pull on you, especially over 100mph where, even though u have a different turbo and mods, the M5 is still stronger stock vs. yours modded top end wise. if you don't believe, ask someone else drive "your guys'" M5 who knows how to drive a RWD german car. Trust me, with a good driver, there wont be excessive spinning from a stop, and with a better driver, which would probably be someone 'outside the group/family of 'we'" they wont have to damage clutches and all that stuff. I would expect a BMW transmission to last longer than a WRX's, especially when all u seem to launch the WRX hard from a stop to get bus lengths in front of the M5, from a stop. 5,000rpm launches mean ur beating up on ur clutch more than a guy driving an m5 launching at 1,500rpm... unless u or ur family or ur guys or whoever 'we' are, are launching the BMW from high rpms, then i can see why the BMW is losing and not getting off the line correctly.

peace
    donna know what to tell you man, these are the results. Maybe if we ran to 170 im sure i would be far behind but to 120 i pulled him.
    2003 Platinum Silver Metalic Sedan
    VF-34 Powered
    My Mods
    Quote Originally Posted by Yossarian
    Even if your car was stock, your chances of warranty coverage are about as good as a retarded chimp trying to do a calculus problem while high on pcp.

Family

donna know what to tell you man, these are the results. Maybe if we ran to 170 im sure i would be far behind but to 120 i pulled him.
    how about this. you race in ur wrx, someone in the m5. then switch drivers, and see the outcome. i guess its a good way to see exactly where both these cars stands... and taking away from driver error, in a way?
    my R32 on CarDomain

Golf R32
    2004 SL500
    2000 M5 - SS exhaust, Xpipe, AFE Cold Air Intakes, Proj39 Angel Eyes, Carbon Fiber kidney grills, LED taillights... 111mph traps. soon, dinan ecu upgrade.

Quote Originally Posted by ellinopedo182 View Post
    how about this. you race in ur wrx, someone in the m5. then switch drivers, and see the outcome. i guess its a good way to see exactly where both these cars stands... and taking away from driver error, in a way?
    If neither know how to drive the M5 then the M5 will always lose.

Quote Originally Posted by viperuws View Post
    If neither know how to drive the M5 then the M5 will always lose.
    Last edited by enash99; 11-21-2006 at 08:32 AM.
    2003 Platinum Silver Metalic Sedan
    VF-34 Powered
    My Mods
    Quote Originally Posted by Yossarian
    Even if your car was stock, your chances of warranty coverage are about as good as a retarded chimp trying to do a calculus problem while high on pcp.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.