05 wrx vs. 07 eclipse gt?? - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on 05 wrx vs. 07 eclipse gt?? within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally Posted by ArizonaWRX Street or a race, anything could happen, so just go and race him. Most of the ...

Quote Originally Posted by ArizonaWRX View Post
    Street or a race, anything could happen, so just go and race him. Most of the magazines aren't too far off, usually by a few tenths of a second if that. They do several runs with qualified or professional drivers. But, like I said, you could end all speculation by simply racing one. Good luck!

(BTW , the msn.com link of the manual running a 14.96 might have BEEN with a great pro driver, yahoo has the car pulling a 15.10 on the 1/4 time, others on the same link have it at 14.6, so just race him and find out. Click here to see it:
    http://autos.yahoo.com/2006_mitsubis...t-performance/

On edmunds from someone who actually owns the car, he ran it stock at the track and got a 14.99. You can see that here, third review down:
    http://www.edmunds.com/new/2006/mits..._consumer.html

The Eclipses aren't bad cars, but the base price on a manual base shift GT is over $28,800, and they also weigh over 3,600 lbs. (for the base model). Check out this good review of the car as well if interested, by edmunds.com, the review of the new 07 Eclipse. They too tested the car at 14.9 in the quarter mile. This review covers everything you could/would want to know about the Eclipse from handling, to performance, to suspension. (Quote from the article: " With its large 40 foot turn radius... U-turns can take weeks!")
    http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...ticleId=110151

Allright, I have done some research for you, but again simply race one and find out, the Eclipse is a cool little car. Good luck!
    have to remember that edmunds doesnt have the best test drivers. they ran 06 sti vs 06 evo MR and got 0-60 in 5.5 with both.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

And they usually do Street Starts...5mph roll before WOT.

Maybe the average owner can get a mid to high 14 w/ the GT. But it is capable of a 14.0.

Bone Stock GT 6speed: 14.02 @ 101.13
    Proof: http://videos.streetfire.net/video/0...23E2CB0A15.htm
    2008 Satin White Pearl WRX Sedan w/ Navi
    2005 San Remo Red WRX Sedan w/ VF34 (traded)
    Pi Kappa Alpha | New England Flat 4

Quote Originally Posted by ScstealthVR6 View Post
    have to remember that edmunds doesnt have the best test drivers. they ran 06 sti vs 06 evo MR and got 0-60 in 5.5 with both.

Very true my friend, 5.5 is what some stock WRX run, but with the Eclipse, three other magazine tests had it around the same time, msn with 14.98, yahoo with a 15.10, and Inside Lane review of 14.9. Plus, on the reviews of people who own one, a guy raced one bone stock and got a 14.99. So with so many reviews all coming in around 15 seconds, that is probably right on target with where it is. Still very respectable, but for the guy who started this thread, I was just trying to give him a ballpark idea of what he was going up against. Not to sound like a broken record, but if you want to know which is faster, RACE HIM and find out. Good luck!

Registered User farBeyondDriven's Avatar
    (BTW , the msn.com link of the manual running a 14.96 might have BEEN with a great pro driver, yahoo has the car pulling a 15.10 on the 1/4 time, others on the same link have it at 14.6, so just race him and find out. Click here to see it:
    http://autos.yahoo.com/2006_mitsubis...t-performance/
    The 14.96 is listed 1/4 mile for the Spyder Convertible, which is heavier. With a good driver I'm sure they are capable of 14 flats - low 14's. They're only *around* 400 lbs. more than a WRX and have way more hp/torque (263hp / 260lbs.-ft. torque).

You have to remember most magazines, even the reputable ones, aren't that accurate. Motor Trend rated the '06 WRX TR a 1/4 mile of 14.2 and we have people on here getting 13.7's bone stock without going over the redline.

The Eclipses aren't bad cars, but the base price on a manual base shift GT is over $28,800, and they also weigh over 3,600 lbs. (for the base model). Check out this good review of the car as well if interested, by edmunds.com, the review of the new 07 Eclipse. They too tested the car at 14.9 in the quarter mile. This review covers everything you could/would want to know about the Eclipse from handling, to performance, to suspension. (Quote from the article: " With its large 40 foot turn radius... U-turns can take weeks!")
    http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...ticleId=110151
    Base price on a manual GT is $23,399. Check out: www.mitsubishimotors.com
    Last edited by farBeyondDriven; 11-10-2006 at 12:25 PM.
    2006 Panty Dropper

"I want to die peacefully in my sleep, like my grandfather. Not screaming in terror like his passengers."

Smile

You are right about the price, the price I saw was for the Spyder. Far Beyond Driven, you are absolutely right about magazines being off, I have also heard the stock WRX tr getting 13s (which is awesome!)

The 15.10 yahoo got is with the base GT non convertible, the 14.99 the actual owner of the car got is just the gt sedan (260 hp), and the 14.98 by edmunds was the 3.8 liter 260 hp sedan, non convertible.

While the 'magazines' are not always that correct, they are simply doing what any of us could do: That is taking a stock car, racing it down a 1/4 mile several times, and taking the average pass. Oh, except they usually have pro drivers to do it. That and all the the magazines are finding around a 15 second pass for the car. Good numbers reguardless.

We could sit here and throw back magazine numbers and bench race all day long about .1 second differences, but the guy who started this thread should simply RACE AN ECLIPSE and find out.

Even if some magazines are off, even if they are all off, then they are off on ALL cars. Point being that you could take the time of one car, plus or minus a few tens of a second, (in this case, a new Eclipse, around 15.00 seconds) look at another car, plus or minus what its magazine tests are (ie 05 WRX, low 14 second passes, 14.1) and at least get an idea of its general times across the board. Could some Eclipses under favorable conditions get low 14s? Sure, but in this case, his WRX is already running constant low 14s, even in dreaded magazine races, so such is the case with the new WRX TRs under favorable conditions getting high 13's.

Personally, I think it would be close, but his WRX would probably eek out the win. (pending the driver).

Simply way to solve this: RACE RACE RACE RACE RACE.
    Or simply sit back, look at both cars, smile, and be happy with what you have got.
    Last edited by ArizonaWRX; 11-10-2006 at 01:24 PM.

Registered User farBeyondDriven's Avatar
    The 15.10 yahoo got is with the base GT non convertible, the 14.99 the actual owner of the car got is just the gt sedan (260 hp), and the 14.98 by edmunds was the 3.8 liter 260 hp sedan, non convertible.
    Just to clarify, the Eclipse GT doesn't come in a sedan. It's a coupe. Those times are all probably from automatic transmission Eclipse GT's.
    2006 Panty Dropper

"I want to die peacefully in my sleep, like my grandfather. Not screaming in terror like his passengers."

1) You guys shouldn't bother debating with Arizonawrx. He gets his 1/4mile info from sources that are well known to drive cars poorly. (MSN, Edmunds, Yahoo, etc..). Just about every well known magazine (car and driver, automobile mag, road and track, motor trend, got between a 14.0-14.4 with the 6MT GT Eclipse. He will quote bad times for other cars, but then make a point to reference the ONE 13.7 1/4mile time someone ran with an 06' wrx

2) The auto-stick GT's are not as quick as the 6spd's (obviously) but from what I have seen, they still pack a punch. With times in the higher 14's and traps that are slightly above that of a 02-05 wrx it would be a pretty good race, but if the wrx gets a good launch it should win. Just do not go from a roll.

3) 6MT GT Eclipse would have the wrx in 1/4mile and waste it up top. I watched a stock 6MT Eclipse put ~ 3 cars on an 06' with catback upto 115mph.

4) Vs a GSX w/ tbe, intake and raised boost you will lose. He has the awd launch which kills your "usual" advantage and he is making considerably more power. In a 1/4mile race you might be able to keep up if you drive well, but you wont win, and from a roll, he will take you. HARD.

5) If you add those mods you were talking about (stage2 + uppipe) it totally changes everything. Agaist a auto-stick eclipse you could win both from a dig and a roll. Agaist a 6MT eclipse you could win from a dig and it will be a close race from a roll if you stay under 100mph or so. And you would also take the Eclipse GSX from both a roll and dig most likely... but it might be close if he has EM.
    Last edited by DTR rex; 11-10-2006 at 01:55 PM.
    Just call me Clark Kent
    ---------------------------------------
    Offical Body Guard for the Bugeye Mafia.

Quote Originally Posted by DTR rex View Post
    1) You guys shouldn't bother debating with Arizonawrx. He gets his 1/4mile info from sources that are well known to drive cars poorly. (MSN, Edmunds, Yahoo, etc..). Just about every well known magazine (car and driver, automobile mag, road and track, motor trend, got between a 14.0-14.4 with the 6MT GT Eclipse. He will quote bad times for other cars, but then make a point to reference the ONE 13.7 1/4mile time someone ran with an 06' wrx

2) The auto-stick GT's are not as quick as the 6spd's (obviously) but from what I have seen, they still pack a punch. With times in the higher 14's and traps that are slightly above that of a 02-05 wrx it would be a pretty good race, but if the wrx gets a good launch it should win. Just do not go from a roll.

3) 6MT GT Eclipse would have the wrx in 1/4mile and waste it up top. I watched a stock 6MT Eclipse put ~ 3 cars on an 06' with catback upto 115mph.

4) Vs a GSX w/ tbe, intake and raised boost you will lose. He has the awd launch which kills your "usual" advantage and he is making considerably more power. In a 1/4mile race you might be able to keep up if you drive well, but you wont win, and from a roll, he will take you. HARD.

5) If you add those mods you were talking about (stage2 + uppipe) it totally changes everything. Agaist a auto-stick eclipse you could win both from a dig and a roll. Agaist a 6MT eclipse you could win from a dig and it will be a close race from a roll if you stay under 100mph or so. And you would also take the Eclipse from both a roll and dig most likely... but it might be close if he has EM.

Hey Rex, how are ya?

1) I wasn't picking or choosing, just posting up from a bunch of times for him. He was looking for some idea, and I was just trying to help. I wasn't the one who posted about the 13.7, far beyond driven said that. I was just confirming that i have heard similar numbers. Besides, I thought you weren't a fan of magzine numbers. I thought you would agree that he should just race him?

2) I already said and agree, that the WRX should eek out the win

3) All the guy has to do who posted this, and I think you would agree REX, is simply RACE him and find out.
    Last edited by ArizonaWRX; 11-10-2006 at 01:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by farBeyondDriven View Post
    Just to clarify, the Eclipse GT doesn't come in a sedan. It's a coupe. Those times are all probably from automatic transmission Eclipse GT's.
    No, they were the manual times. But all of this could be put to bed if he simply would RACE one.

goodnessssss... i will once i sell my tc and GET my wrx.. lol

btw does anyone know anyone interested in an 06 tc with 9k miles?! ..so i can FINALLY get my wrx..?

Hey Rex, how are ya?

1) I wasn't picking or choosing, just posting up from a bunch of times for him. He was looking for some idea, and I was just trying to help. I wasn't the one who posted about the 13.7, far beyond driven said that. I was just confirming that i have heard similar numbers. Besides, I thought you weren't a fan of magzine numbers. I thought you would agree that he should just race him?
    I already told you in the other thread about the SS and RL that numbers from yahoo/msn/edmunds should not be taken to reference a cars capabilities. If you used those numbers for e.t. references then the STi would be a very high 13sec car and the Z06 would barely break into the 12's, lol.
    Use more credible sources for your e.t. times when trying to debate someone or I will continue to call you out on your "research".

You are correct, I am not a fan of mag times. I was just simply debating your times with a correlation to a other magazine times that were more in accord to REAL TIME SEEN ON FORUMS BY OWNERS.
    Just call me Clark Kent
    ---------------------------------------
    Offical Body Guard for the Bugeye Mafia.

Quote Originally Posted by DTR rex View Post
    I already told you in the other thread about the SS and RL that numbers from yahoo/msn/edmunds should not be taken to reference a cars capabilities. If you used those numbers for e.t. references then the STi would be a very high 13sec car and the Z06 would barely break into the 12's, lol.
    Use more credible sources for your e.t. times when trying to debate someone or I will continue to call you out on your "research".

You are correct, I am not a fan of mag times. I was just simply debating your times with a correlation to a other magazine times that were more in accord to REAL TIME SEEN ON FORUMS BY OWNERS.
    Cool man, well let's help him out using the numbers you want to use. The Car and Driver review found the manual Eclipse getting a 14.5, and the same mag found the WRX getting a 14.10. So if some magazines are finding the Eclipse manual getting a 15.00, 14.9, and car and driver getting, and other 'better' mags getting a 14.5, that means the absolute lowest the mags are getting is a 14.5 for the manual Eclipse, with a few others finding times closer to 15s. NO mags are scoring a manual WRX higher than a 14.2, 14.3 that I have seen, with most mags testing it lower at or around 14.10 pretty much across the board, (and obviously we have heard higher from certain members on here and other WRX sites.) Point being that even according to the "less acurate" reviews, the WORST time found for the manual WRX is still about a half scond quicker than the BEST magazine time found for the manual Eclipse. So just to give him some idea, a stock manual, as I said earlier, should eek out the win.

I am glad you agree and don't base car times off of what the mags say, and that he should simply race an Eclipse to find out for sure.

As to help with your car adWRXi, try posting it on the Scion forums, local forums, autotraders, or look into trading it in towards your WRX. I traded in my old car towards my WRX even though it wasn't worth as much as your Scion simply because by trading it in and lowering the sale price, I paid a lower sales tax as well.

I as well as REX and the other guys on here are pretty happy with our WRXs, but why are you trading in the Scion if it only has 9K on it? Are you unhappy with it, problems with it, or have you just fallen in love with the WRX (like a lot of us have? ) Just curious.

Again welcome, and let us know if you need any help or have any questions.

well my parents made me get a tc in february after i got my license. ive been wanting to trade it in ever since lol. and i finally got them to agree with me 9 months later.

ps. dont bash on me cuz im 16 please lol. i never speed! and i wouldnt race on the streets. or do any of that typical teen driving stuff you all hear about

and how does an 05 wrx with 19k miles going for 17500 sound?

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by adWRXi View Post
    well my parents made me get a tc in february after i got my license. ive been wanting to trade it in ever since lol. and i finally got them to agree with me 9 months later.

ps. dont bash on me cuz im 16 please lol. i never speed! and i wouldnt race on the streets. or do any of that typical teen driving stuff you all hear about

and how does an 05 wrx with 19k miles going for 17500 sound?
    Lol, no worries, no one is going to bash on you for liking and wanting a car, a car that happens to draw a lot of us together on this forum. (We happen to like the WRX here. ) We didn't even know you were 16. Are you paying your own insurance? Only reason I ask is because if you are, you might want to look into what your rates might be, because for a 16 year old male with a WRX, they probably will be pretty high, at least higher than the Scion was.

Also don't worry about talking of things like speeding, we are a forum of other WRX enthusiasts (not your parents ). But with the Wrx, it doesn't take to long to reach that 60 mph limit. You will probably only get flamed if you did something stupid on the streets (like put others in danger, who are in your car or not,) and then post it like a story of glory that you are proud of.

Welcome again, and good luck getting your WRX! Let us know if you have any questions, or need some help!

**PS**

REX, what do you think of the WRX he is asking about for 17,500. I am familiar with the info on the 06s since I researched it and bought one, but you have been on here longer than I and are probably more familiar with the older WRX and their values. Think you could give him an thumbs up or down on it?

right now the tc is under my dads name and his jeep is under mine, and the jeep has liability and the tc has full coverage, but i drive the tc. so when i get the wrx its gonna be the same deal. i dont have to pay for insurance right now, but when i get the wrx im gonna have to pay the difference between the wrx and the tc that is under my dads name.. which is like 70 bucks for 6 months. i think i can live with that. but im guessing gas is gonna be a bummer cuz it takes in premium right? an having a stage 2 would use even more gas..

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.