WRX vs Ion Redline - Page 5
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

This is a discussion on WRX vs Ion Redline within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I agree that this isn't the most intelligent thread, but that's what the internet is for right? Anyway, I couldn't ...

I agree that this isn't the most intelligent thread, but that's what the internet is for right? Anyway, I couldn't help but toss in my .02.

My buddy had (traded it in for an RSX Type-S) an Ion Redline. I had the chance to drive it a handful of times, and without trying to sound like a hater, I couldn't believe what a piece of $h!t the car was. It's a Saturn, and I've never been a fan but I expected a little more when I drove it. I left extremely underwhelmed with it's power and overall feel. Unlike the Cobalt SS, which is actually fun to drive, the Saturn does not reward you whatsoever for driving it hard. It honestly didn't feel a great deal faster than the ZX2 I used to drive.

As for real world, my friend was psyched to "beat the crap" out of my stock WRX. Well before he sold it him and I probably raced about a dozen times. From a light, from a roll, interstate, back roads. Not once did he come close to beating me. As long as the WRX isn't caught WAY off boost, it's not really a contest. My car is standard, but so was his. The WRX is straight up faster stock for stock, it's not really worth arguing.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by PegGrinder33 View Post
    I agree that this isn't the most intelligent thread, but that's what the internet is for right? Anyway, I couldn't help but toss in my .02.

My buddy had (traded it in for an RSX Type-S) an Ion Redline. I had the chance to drive it a handful of times, and without trying to sound like a hater, I couldn't believe what a piece of $h!t the car was. It's a Saturn, and I've never been a fan but I expected a little more when I drove it. I left extremely underwhelmed with it's power and overall feel. Unlike the Cobalt SS, which is actually fun to drive, the Saturn does not reward you whatsoever for driving it hard. It honestly didn't feel a great deal faster than the ZX2 I used to drive.

As for real world, my friend was psyched to "beat the crap" out of my stock WRX. Well before he sold it him and I probably raced about a dozen times. From a light, from a roll, interstate, back roads. Not once did he come close to beating me. As long as the WRX isn't caught WAY off boost, it's not really a contest. My car is standard, but so was his. The WRX is straight up faster stock for stock, it's not really worth arguing.
    Aren't the RL and SS basically the same car? I know their performance is dead even, its like comparing a Firebird and a Camaro.
    2005 WRX (Short throw shifter, lightweight pulley,STI Splitters,Tein H-Tech springs,Up/Down Pipe, ERZ Catback, Cobb Stage 2, ASA JH8 with Yokohama ES 100s) 13.680@100.46mph

Quote Originally Posted by elohdaeh78 View Post
    Aren't the RL and SS basically the same car? I know their performance is dead even, its like comparing a Firebird and a Camaro.
    There are two versions of the SS.
    One has a naturally aspirated 2.4L motor (rated at 170 hp) and is not that impressive.
    The other has a supercharged 2.0L motor (rated at 205 hp, makes a lot more) that responds well to some inexpensive mods.

The 2.0L SS is mechanically identical to the RL.
    <---Is that not the ugliest critter?
    ---------------------------------------------
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #43

Manual WRX 06 > Redline
    Auto WRX 06 ~ Redline
    Anything else...no one cares. (but the Redline vs old WRX's would be a close race as long as they are manual)

*stands up* problem...solved...*sits down*

Seriously, the Redline is a great car and due to many factors, the Redline may beat an auto or even a manual WRX on a track. It is all about the other things. This race isn't a Dodge Viper vs a Geo...its 2 somewhat similar cars racing.

Taking the human element out of the equation, the above things are about what would happen. Redline is said to be 200whp while the 06 WRX is said to be around 200-210whp stock also. Factor in the AWD vs FWD and you get yourself enough to beat a Redline with a MANUAL AWD launch. The Redline will have a small advantage with less drivetrain loss so it will probably beat an auto 06 WRX but the manual launch is normally enough to bring it ahead of the Redline.

Either way both are great cars. I love that Saturn made the Ion Redline. I also love the look of the Saturn Sky. (first time I saw it from the back I thought for a second a person threw a Saturn badge on a vette until I drove up next to it. )

Also I won't comment on modding differences because I dow't own a Redline and probably never will because of FWD (Why get FWD when you can get AWD or RWD?). So doing research would be pointless in this area for me.

That's my $0.05?

Quote Originally Posted by elohdaeh78 View Post
    Trans am > Firebird > Camaro

Some of you guys don't give Saturn enough credit for creating this car.

Forget what the magazines say, lets look at real world examples.

**Redline Dyno Charts**

**Redline Drag Times**
    Last edited by CaTiRo; 11-08-2006 at 08:06 AM.
    2005 Mazda 6 3.0L V6 5spd
    My CarDomain Site

Quote Originally Posted by CaTiRo View Post
    Some of you guys don't give Saturn enough credit for creating this car.

Forget what the magazines say, lets look at real world examples.

**Redline Dyno Charts**

**Redline Drag Times**
    Good find.

260whp from bolt on's and pulley is pretty impressive
    Just call me Clark Kent
    ---------------------------------------
    Offical Body Guard for the Bugeye Mafia.

Their torque curve....is a line.... Also their Redline isn't past their peak power.

Those dyno's look better then most WRX dyno's I have seen. Then again I don't know what a good dyno is supposed to look like.

Quote Originally Posted by viperuws View Post
    Their torque curve....is a line.... Also their Redline isn't past their peak power.

Those dyno's look better then most WRX dyno's I have seen. Then again I don't know what a good dyno is supposed to look like.
    Yeah, those are some pretty nice dyno's.

Torque has basically peaked by 2500 and hold there strong until nearly redline (very flat torque curve) and the hp peaks at redline, which is great because that means you do not have a drop in power, and because of the insta-torque and the blower you do not have to "wait" for power either.... It just keeps increasing until redline.
    Just call me Clark Kent
    ---------------------------------------
    Offical Body Guard for the Bugeye Mafia.

Trans am > Firebird > Camaro
    WTF? I don't know much about American cars, but I thought:

Firebird=Camaro
    Trans Am=Camaro Z28
    Trans Am WS6=Camaro SS

Their torque curve....is a line....
    that's a very good thing. once your maximum value is reached, you obviously do not want it to drop. ideally, you'd want a torque curve that shoots straight up, then stays there (ignoring hp considerations)
    embattled, we prevail...only victory exhaled.

Quote Originally Posted by AngelBoy View Post
    that's a very good thing. once your maximum value is reached, you obviously do not want it to drop. ideally, you'd want a torque curve that shoots straight up, then stays there (ignoring hp considerations)
    That's the beauty of a supercharger vs. a turbo. Zero lag. It also makes engine management much more straight forward. There is no wondering about pressures in front of and behind the turbo. If the motor is spinning at any given rpm, the supercharger is putting out a predictable pressure.

I've heard a lot of people who drove them remark that they did not think the RL and Cobalt SS were that fast. I think they are misinterpreting the lack of the kick in the pants as the turbo reaches speed as a lack of power. The RLs I test drove before buying my WRX just poured power very smoothly. Other than the fact that you were accellerating pretty quickly, the only indication that the car gave that it was working hard was the raspy or buzzy nature of the ecotec motor... which I did not mind. I bought a WRX, but the RL is a neat car.
    Last edited by goBoating; 11-09-2006 at 07:37 AM.
    <---Is that not the ugliest critter?
    ---------------------------------------------
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #43

Quote Originally Posted by goBoating View Post
    That's the beauty of a supercharger vs. a turbo. Zero lag.
    i buy that; when it comes to torque, superchargers > turbo (all things remaining equal)
    embattled, we prevail...only victory exhaled.

I agree with you, to me a 14 sec turbo cars for some reason "feels" faster than a 14 sec n/a car. I remember driving the GTI and then driving my friend's 06 SI and the GTI to me felt much faster. But according to all the times I seen it should be a drivers race stock for stock. I know the Redline has a supercharger but it still has a very smooth power delivery like most n/a car.
    Last edited by CaTiRo; 11-09-2006 at 08:13 AM.
    2005 Mazda 6 3.0L V6 5spd
    My CarDomain Site

those dynos are really great, gm is damn near perfect on thier claimed hp numbers, and the flat torque lines are right where you wanna be. i've seen ALOT of dyno charts, and those are pretty clean.. turbos feel better because the lag makes them far more satisfying when they actually build boost.
    03 WRX - daily driver
    91 teg - needs a trans, the current one is soup.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast