WRX vs Ion Redline - Page 2
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

This is a discussion on WRX vs Ion Redline within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally Posted by Maccgyver as with the srt-4 still being a Neon, the Ion Redline is still just a Saturn ...

Quote Originally Posted by Maccgyver View Post
    as with the srt-4 still being a Neon, the Ion Redline is still just a Saturn Only the sky gets props from me. Otherwise I hate that car company.
    and the Si is still a Civic, the list goes on... hell the WRX/STI is just an Impreza.

(but the Impreza isn't a bad little car to begin with! AWD and a usable amount of power, no rocket, but not impossible to merge onto the highway with either)
    Torch Red 2002 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 46k mi.
    Black 2002 Subaru Impreza WRX 6-speed 94k mi. my mod list
    10/08/2006 - 14.089@103.01 (5-speed with well worn clutch, no launch)
    "Six stars gleaming, five speeds breaking, four tires chirping, three differentials working, two liters screaming, one turbo boosting... it's what makes a Subaru all-wheel-drive, all we'll drive."
    for Bugeye owners my BOV thread Service Manuals

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    as with the srt-4 still being a Neon, the Ion Redline is still just a Saturn Only the sky gets props from me. Otherwise I hate that car company.
    I give Saturn props for producing an affordable performance-oriented car in their Ion Redline. Their new Aura looks like a pretty nice sedan offering, the interior appears to be first-rate. The Sky looks viable in both its NA and turbocharged trim. They seem to be making inroads on the enthusiast market. Why waste energy "hating" them?
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
    I give Saturn props for producing an affordable performance-oriented car in their Ion Redline. Their new Aura looks like a pretty nice sedan offering, the interior appears to be first-rate. The Sky looks viable in both its NA and turbocharged trim. They seem to be making inroads on the enthusiast market. Why waste energy "hating" them?
    not that I really hate them, it is probably more that I dislike GM in general. Had many bad experiences with many gm vehicles and many more better ones with Ford, Toyota, Mitsu and now my Subie. I give them props for making saturn better than what it was for sure, but it still doesn't get my motor revving, besides the sky that thing is sex.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Micah View Post
    and the Si is still a Civic, the list goes on... hell the WRX/STI is just an Impreza.

(but the Impreza isn't a bad little car to begin with! AWD and a usable amount of power, no rocket, but not impossible to merge onto the highway with either)
    Ha but the wagon is a different breed all together.

I Support ClubWRX
    Ha but the wagon is a different breed all together.
    Now that I agree with.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

i saw a hooked up saturn ion redline and that supercharger sound sounded freakin sweet. nice car but the only thing that bothered me was that wing
    SOCAL F4#02 OG member

2002 PSM WRX stage 6
    2007 Kawasaki Ninja ZX6R

Quote Originally Posted by Me&05WRX View Post
    I'm assuming both of you and your friend do not own either of the car. If so, I think this whole thing is useless unless actually proven by both of you by doing a drag race on a 1/4 mile track.

Unless both of you do own of such cars, it'd be a great and intriguing results to find out, because I'd like to know myself.

It is a rare thing in here to see WRX take on Cobalt or Redline for that matter.
    yeah if it does not have a v-8 or bigger it is not worth my gas

Quote Originally Posted by DTR rex View Post
    Not to burst your bubble, but the numbers given on the redline above were rather conservative and many people see mid-high 14's with them. A stock auto wrx is going to have trouble pulling one from a dig even.. and from a roll, the wrx will get wasted.
    As someone said earlier, vs. the 05 and earlier, maybe, I have the 06 WRX, which is on msn.com are tracking high 14s all day. Not bad, and I love it. Like I said, it would be pretty even, but even a simple mod, or maybe even something less drastic like switch to synthetic, and you would be there for the win.
    Last edited by ArizonaWRX; 11-01-2006 at 12:15 AM.

I seriously considered an Ion RL when I bought my WRX. They are rated at 205 hp , but, there are numerous dyno sheets showing stock RLs putting 200 hp to the wheels. Also, stage kits are out for them now that make some pretty serious power. Add an upper motor mount brace to reduce the FWD wheel hop and you've got a screamer. Plus, they handle very respectably. I think they're getting nearly 250 hp (crank) out of them just by swapping the stock super charger pulley for a slightly smaller one. They can be had with a limited slip diff in the front end.

I drove a '98 SL1 for 8 years and gave it to my son when he graduated college. It was bullet proof. 32 mpg in the city and 42+ on the highway. My wife drives a 2004 Saturn Vue with the Honda V6 drive train which is putting out 250 hp. Turn the traction control off and it will light up the large front tires. That thing will scoot. I've had very good luck with Saturns. The only reason I ended up with a WRX was the local dealer could not find a RL without the huge tail when I was ready to buy.

That having been said, I love my WRX Wagon and now prefer it over a RL. I just don't think the RL gets the consideration it deserves.
    <---Is that not the ugliest critter?
    ---------------------------------------------
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #43

I have seen alot of RL's run mid to 14s bone stock on msg boards but there are two that run at my track all the time and never get better then 15.0 at 92mph, now my friend ran his stock 02 wrx at 14.7 at 92mph so take it for what it is, i saw both RL runs at least 5 different occasions.
    2005 WRX (Short throw shifter, lightweight pulley,STI Splitters,Tein H-Tech springs,Up/Down Pipe, ERZ Catback, Cobb Stage 2, ASA JH8 with Yokohama ES 100s) 13.680@100.46mph

These threads are fun cause I own a '06 WRX, and previously owned a '05 Redline. The redline will win from a roll (especially around 40mph). Their staged kits bump the rev limiter to 7k and puts out around 240whp. But he was asking stock, I ran three runs, only time i've ever been on a track and my best was 14.888, and there was more to be made out of it. So a good driver will put down mid 14's in stock form. If your talking '06 WRX from a dig, you should win. Pre '06, might be close. Either way, they now have tuning capibilities and have seen a few mid 13's with a pulley, traction and help from a cobra heat exchanger, all totaling less than $1k. So keep your eyes out for the big wing and screaming S/C.
    2006 WRBlue WRX
    Cobb Tuned to Stage II, Helix Catted DP, Invidia 3" Catback
    Cobb: Short Shifter, Sport Springs, Shifter Bushings, Trans Mount, Front/Rear Sway Bars
    Redline Hood Dampeners
    20% Tint

Quote Originally Posted by Micah View Post
    Keep in mind - those are the numbers for 2005 - 2006 should have better numbers. Torque FTW.
    Keep in mind - The performance data on the 06 auto vs 02-05 auto is not much different and most 06 autos are running higher 14's with traps that still sit a couple mph below that of the Ion RL
    Just call me Clark Kent
    ---------------------------------------
    Offical Body Guard for the Bugeye Mafia.

Quote Originally Posted by ArizonaWRX View Post
    As someone said earlier, vs. the 05 and earlier, maybe, I have the 06 WRX, which is on msn.com autos as tracking high 14s all day, (a 14.8, 14.7 all day). Not bad, and I love it. Like I said, it would be pretty even, but even a simple mod, or maybe even something less drastic like switch to synthetic, and you would be there for the win.
    Do not overlook the fact that Ion RL's respond quite well to mods as well.... In fact, mod for mod they will put down more whp than the all mighty 06' wrx (on the td04 of course).

Doing research > being a bandwagon fanboi
    Just call me Clark Kent

Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
    Agreed.

Saturn has made some decently impressive strides recently to enter new markets and improve on existing ones.
    I say give credit where credit is due.
    Just call me Clark Kent

Quote Originally Posted by DTR rex View Post
    Do not overlook the fact that Ion RL's respond quite well to mods as well.... In fact, mod for mod they will put down more whp than the all mighty 06' wrx (on the td04 of course).

Doing research > being a bandwagon fanboi
    but OMGZ its the 06, it has teh 2.5 litre

If a saturn sky redline came as a coupe I'd hit it like a ton of bricks. I'll buy a car from any company as long as its a its good car that I want.
    FORZA FERRARI
    BLOBEYE SYNDICATE (retired) #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Integra96 View Post
    One day I hope to buy a car that is lubricated exclusively by pure manatee oil.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast