Mazda Speed 3....
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 10 12345678910 LastLast

This is a discussion on Mazda Speed 3.... within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Have you seen the numbers on this? I would like to see how this thing performes with some mods.. They ...

Mazda Speed 3....

Have you seen the numbers on this? I would like to see how this thing performes with some mods.. They are saying it did a little better than the 06 WRX

263hp/280trq

http://www.mazdausa.com/MusaWeb/disp...er=upcomingMS3

discuss..
    2003 Platinum Silver Metalic Sedan
    VF-34 Powered
    My Mods
    Quote Originally Posted by Yossarian
    Even if your car was stock, your chances of warranty coverage are about as good as a retarded chimp trying to do a calculus problem while high on pcp.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

It has a VERY peaky powerband. It probably has huge aftermarket potential.
    Its got a great layout as with all the other Mazda cars. But It's FWD. Where I live that matters alot.
    02redwagone on Nasioc

The review I read in Car and Driver (I think) had the WRX TR winning in only the 1/4 by like .1 of a second.
    '06 WRB WRX

Once some drivers that are accusomed to the car get their hands on it we will see consistant high 13's @100mph I think.

For the money, it is an amazing car... But as someone already noted, its largest (if only) downfall is the FWD.
    Just call me Clark Kent
    ---------------------------------------
    Offical Body Guard for the Bugeye Mafia.

Yeah FWD is a killer for traction, is this the next SRT-4.. a whole lot of power with tons of wheel hop?
    VF-34 Powered
    My Mods
    Even if your car was stock, your chances of warranty coverage are about as good as a retarded chimp trying to do a calculus problem while high on pcp.

Quote Originally Posted by enash99
    Yeah FWD is a killer for traction, is this the next SRT-4.. a whole lot of power with tons of wheel hop?
    Yeah, but then the car goes on to outhandle the WRX in all categories, and it also includes a nicer interior and Navi for about the same price.

I don't think this new Mazda is the next SRT-4.
    '06 WRB WRX

Quote Originally Posted by Thaddy
    Yeah, but then the car goes on to outhandle the WRX in all categories, and it also includes a nicer interior and Navi for about the same price.

It outhandled the WRX b/c it has RE92's (still outhandled but easily fixed)
    It has a Navi and cheap interior like the WRX at a much higher cost. The comparison was a TR (mechanical hvac, single cd, crappy seats, $22,995 msrp vs the fully loaded MS3 that was closer to $27,000).
    2008 Satin White Pearl WRX Sedan w/ Navi
    2005 San Remo Red WRX Sedan w/ VF34 (traded)
    Pi Kappa Alpha | New England Flat 4

Quote Originally Posted by Thaddy

True on the track you can make an SRT-4 out handle a WRX, but if you put the same amount of money in to both cars the WRX will still out perform it on the track. Go dollar for Dollar in suspension and brake mods and the Subie will be on top in the corners, just not the straights.. = (

side note This is Post 1,111.
    VF-34 Powered
    My Mods

Quote Originally Posted by D0WNxSH1FT
    It outhandled the WRX b/c it has RE92's (still outhandled but easily fixed)
    It has a Navi and cheap interior like the WRX at a much higher cost. The comparison was a TR (mechanical hvac, single cd, crappy seats, $22,995 msrp vs the fully loaded MS3 that was closer to $27,000).
    Even still, put some high performance all seasons on the wrx, and while the performance will be greatly increased for the wrx, I still do not believe it will post MS3 numbers... In fact, I am rather certain of that.

As for the interior, it was pretty unfair to pick a loaded MS3 (minus navi) vs a base wrx TR and do an interior comparison. However, I have sat in an 05/06 wrx many times, driven one many times, and sat in an Mazda 3 a few times and the Mazda3 interior is still quite a bit better than a fully loaded wrx's.
    Just call me Clark Kent
    ---------------------------------------
    Offical Body Guard for the Bugeye Mafia.

Exclamation

Go buy this month's Motor trend mag and the cover story compares the two. The WRX still is faster in the 0-60, in the autocross handling test the WRX was 1.2 seconds behind on a mile run, (ehich the editiors attributed to the WRX coming with allseason/snow friendly tires. They went on to say that with regular or summer tires, WRX would take it.)

In the autocross performance test, all three of the professional drivers said they would still prefer the WRX over the Mazda.

The WRX has a more constant powerband, which the article says still gives the edge to the WRX for powering out of corners.

The WRX still has the best AWD system on the market, and while the mazda has a peaky powerband, the WRX has more power available down low stock, and will respond better to mods than the Mazda.

The Mazda is a fine car, and will probably continue to grow, but the WRX is a proven performer that is still superior in AWD, depandability, and the amount of performance gained by mods (uppipe, reflash, etc.) still can't be denied.

PLUS, I am scared off by any car maker who is owned by FORD. Ford has a controlling stake in Mazda, so cutting corners and problems down the road as a result of those cost cutting policies scares me, whereas the WRX has proven to be a dependable respected performer.

WRX no contest.

Quote Originally Posted by ArizonaWRX
    Go buy this month's Motor trend mag and the cover story compares the two. The WRX still is faster in the 0-60, in the autocross handling test the WRX was 1.2 seconds behind on a mile run, (ehich the editiors attributed to the WRX coming with allseason/snow friendly tires. They went on to say that with regular or summer tires, WRX would take it.)

In the autocross performance test, all three of the professional drivers said they would still prefer the WRX over the Mazda.

The WRX has a more constant powerband, which the article says still gives the edge to the WRX for powering out of corners.

The WRX still has the best AWD system on the market, and while the mazda has a peaky powerband, the WRX has more power available down low stock, and will respond better to mods than the Mazda.

The Mazda is a fine car, and will probably continue to grow, but the WRX is a proven performer that is still superior in AWD, depandability, and the amount of performance gained by mods (uppipe, reflash, etc.) still can't be denied.

PLUS, I am scared off by any car maker who is owned by FORD. Ford has a controlling stake in Mazda, so cutting corners and problems down the road as a result of those cost cutting policies scares me, whereas the WRX has proven to be a dependable respected performer.

WRX no contest.
    Thanks, Im going to go get this issue.
    VF-34 Powered
    My Mods

Yeah i read the article in Car and Driver and they basically said that "The new Mazda 3 is ready eat up an 06 WRX past third gear." (Probably had a soccer mom volunteer the drive through third in the rex)

that interior is sweeeeeeet.

and damn, 280ftlbs? thats like a stg 1 06 wrx! these things will be mean, seems like straight line could be STi competition, from a roll
    Last edited by ScstealthVR6; 10-17-2006 at 01:01 AM.

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by ScstealthVR6
    that interior is sweeeeeeet.

and damn, 280ftlbs? thats like a stg 1 06 wrx! these things will be mean, seems like straight line could be STi competition, from a roll
    straight line the WRX is still faster than the Mazdaspeed 3 on 0-60, while the edge 0-100 it said goes slighty to the Mazda. The reason for the Mazda edgin out the WRX in a one mile autocross by 1.2 seconds according to the experts was because the WRX comes standard with all season/snow capable tires, not summer tires. Competiton or slight win for the Mazda vs. WRX, maybe, for the STI? Nope. STI FTW!

P.S. -I would still rather have constant power vs. peaky, AWD vs. FWD, and dependability over a car owned by Ford. In the Motor Trend Article, the three 'experts' they had to drive the one mile autocross in both the Mazda and WRX said that while the one second edge went to the Mazda, all three said A) They would still prefer to have and drive the WRX, and B) throw some summer tires on the WRX and it would win C) mods will help the WRX more, such as uppipe/downpipe, in creating more performance.

The Mazdaspeed 3 again, is a good car, but as a consumer, I bought (and would still buy a 06 WRX).

P.S. (again) the SUbaru tested was the WRX TR, not the normal WRX, so the interior was not as great.

Quote Originally Posted by ArizonaWRX

WRX no contest.
    You mention Mazda being owned by Ford, when it's only the "controlling interest" that's owned. Hell, isn't (or wasn't) Subaru's controlling interest owned by GM? I thought that's how you got the Saabaru 9-2x aero. Platform sharing between GM brands.

Sorry for the threadjack.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 10 12345678910 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.