Mazda Speed 3.... - Page 7
+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

This is a discussion on Mazda Speed 3.... within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Well I've read/heard mixed reviews about the torque steer issue so again, I'm just gonna have to drive the damn ...

Well I've read/heard mixed reviews about the torque steer issue so again, I'm just gonna have to drive the damn thing. But thanks for the info about MCSE. I heard that it's one of those "paper certs" but ya gotta start somewhere right? Reason being is I'm currently a "lowly" help desk guy since I'm only a year out of college. My company is a DoD contractor on the smaller side but they will pay up to 4k a year for certs/classes/training. So I'm gonna take big advantage of that. Starting out with my MCSE and moving on from there.

Storage admin sounds cool and I can definately see how there is an ever-increasing demand for them. And I think we got a SAN in to mess around with not that long ago so the possibility is there, maybe. Original plan was to go into network security since that's a large part of what my company does, but I'll definately look more into that. Of course, that's probably way down the line since it's probably not a good thing that most of what you said was way above my head Why can't it be like the matrix and just download that crap into my brain and say things like, "woah!" and "i know kung fu!"
    2006 STI OBP - SOLD
    2007 True Red Mazda 3 Hatchback
    Bye bye performance
    Hello MONEY! How I missed you!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Ayup, the only opinion that really matters is your own, hehe.

Too addicted to AWD to look at a FWD car, eventhough there are a bunch that I really wanna like... Swapped early 90s Civic hatch, Mini, Focus SVT, 1st gen ACR Neon.

All fairly light, and fun to dive...except for their annoying FWD characteristics.

I will say that I find FWD more annoying on the street than autocross/track day. At least at a race event you have somewhat consistent surfaces and know the turns after a while. On the street, you never really know how slick the pavement is/wet leaves/sand/etc.

Having to be light on the throttle on the street, especially in turns, would be a bummer with 280 lbs-ft of torque on tap, hehe.

I think this forum is very bias, and for good reason....It's a WRX forum.

Quote Originally Posted by n00bulat0l2 View Post
    Storage admin sounds cool and I can definately see how there is an ever-increasing demand for them. And I think we got a SAN in to mess around with not that long ago so the possibility is there, maybe. Original plan was to go into network security since that's a large part of what my company does, but I'll definately look more into that. Of course, that's probably way down the line since it's probably not a good thing that most of what you said was way above my head Why can't it be like the matrix and just download that crap into my brain and say things like, "woah!" and "i know kung fu!"

Yep we all have to start somewhere, I started with the A+ and working with AOL. As for Network Security. I would really recommend taking a Checkpoint certed class. I have my CCSA, CCSE, and my CCSI for instruction of the first 2 certs. That alone took my career to the next level. Best of luck sounds like your in the right direction. Already working with a DoD contractor!! Stick with it and your going to be pushin something much nicer than that STi if you want to. Again, best of luck!
    2003 Platinum Silver Metalic Sedan
    VF-34 Powered
    My Mods
    Quote Originally Posted by Yossarian
    Even if your car was stock, your chances of warranty coverage are about as good as a retarded chimp trying to do a calculus problem while high on pcp.

Exclamation To clarify some points ;)

Ok, I don't know if anyone has done this, so I thought I would post part of the article to help in this matter. Both are great cars; they are simply two cars built for two different purposes, yet fall into the same market as they are both turbo. It is a matter of preference and choice. However, I will post directly from the article and leave the choice up to you. This is directly from the Motor Trend aticle compairing the two:

"WE put them through a Sports Car Club of America-style autocross course with AMCI professional test drivers Gary Thomason and George Doganis at the wheels. Both compete in SCCA solo contests, and each is a multi-National Champion ans esteemed winner of the "Driver of Eminence" award. These guys know what it takes to evaluate a car for its competitiveness--and drive to win...
    (The result was the Mazda less than a second faster on the autocross, 1:22.10 sec to Subaru 1:23.03)
    Nevertheless, both drivers saw the Subaru as the better choice for autocross competition. The WRX has a smooth, linear torque curve (as opposed to the Mazda's peaker power delivery) that benefitsit during low-speed corner exits. The Subaru's all wheel drive is also a plus. Our test cars' stock mud-and-snow rated tires diminished its lap times, as it oversteered in some cornerswhile understeering through others, with too much body roll...
    George and Gary agreed that, with a sticker tire than on this tester..., the WRX is their choice among this pair."

1) the Mazda won because it had summer tires. Some people say "why tires?" If you were to compare the two cars with a controlled variable, in this case, tires, the experts agree that the WRX is the better choice, as it would handle better and be faster in the autocross event. Some would argue that they don't want to swap tires on a new vehicle. But if you live in snow, you need the WRX tires (again, different cars for different purposes, one was made with AWD and tires for all conditions,) but according to the magazine, the price for the cars tested was 25,620 (base is 24,620) for the WRX, and 26, 300 for the Mazda, a difference of 1,100, which is more than enough to buy new summer tires and have change left over, or sell the tires that came with the WRX, kick in a few hundred, and boom, summer tires and a better handling car.

2) According to the Motor Trend test, edmunds.com, and msn.com, the 0-60, as well as the quarter mile times, (for those so concerned about straight line racing, ) both are faster for the WRX. The 0-60 as found by Motor Trend was 5.6 for the WRX, compaired to 6.0 for the Mazda, and a 14.2 to 14.3. Small difference on the quarter mile, but for those who say the Mazda is still faster, not true. Besides, 90% of most city driving is done within the speeds of 0-60, and the WRX is by far the proven winner of that.

3) For those not concerned by snow, like us 'Zona boys and girls, heat in the summer time is an issue, thus heatsoak is an issue. There have been several online reports of Mazdaspeed 3's suffering from major heat soak from hot weather areas. I haven't confirmed this, but I have heard several instances of this.

4) Both are still great cars, but if you want a speed 3, buy an 06. Ford, who owns a majority share of Mazda and is in control of the company, today (10/23) announced third quarter loses totaling 5.8 BILLION dollars, for the third quarter of this year alone. That means major cuts in design, engineering, and desite Ford's already shaky character reguarding depenability, casts doubt for the future as cost cutting will be rampant next year, and possibly years to come.

5) The purpose of presenting the preceding quotes from the Motor Trend article is not to try to prove that one car is better than another, but rather to point out that the WRX is still a more than capable performer in reputation, performance, and handling. I would gladly own and drive either of these cars, but as a recent consumer who researched and bought a new car, I bought the new 06 Impreza WRX, and I would gladly do the same because of Subaru's dependability, performance, and handling.

As I stated in an earlier, post, I don't know about you, but both of these cars are a dream and a world away compaired to the first car I ever drove. Either of these cars would be a joy to own and drive, and my WRX is by far the best car I have ever driven. So let's enjoy our sweet cars! Who wants to go for a drive?
    Last edited by ArizonaWRX; 10-24-2006 at 02:53 AM.

OK well I've pretty much decided I'm going with a regular Mazda 3. Sports cars are sweet and I love my STI but I'll wait a few years to get back into one because I want more financial freedom right now. Cost of ownership will be way higher in a MS3 or WRX so I'll do the smart thing and wait a few years. But first let me clear up some misinformation since I've been doing loads of research on the cars:

1) The test was a good example of showing what the 3 can do, despite the constant talk of "understeer" and it being one of those terrible FWD cars. I feel it may have been quite biased considering the "price" they used in the comparison was a top of the line model WITH NAVIGATION ($1,750 option that has nothing to do with performance). Base price for a MS3 is $22,835 MSRP. And if you swap out the WRX's tires you can do the same with the Mazda 3 for even more traction. Once you start talking mods it's really pointless since the MS3 is barely out (and in some areas not out at all) so the aftermarket has to catch up to the years of WRX lovin'.

2) 5.8 seconds 0-60 has been achieved. Who launches from 1-2k rpms? Also, from a roll the Mazda 3 is faster. Someone did 10 mph intervals somewhere and the Mazda was faster through pretty much every one of them. Although for me, either way I don't base my decision based on a cars 0-60 or 1/4 mile times so for me, it's moot. Both cars are faster than 90% of cars on the road.

3) Heatsoak issues were way overblown and an ECU reflash from dealers fixed that. It was for the MS6's not the MS3's but people thought since it was the same engine it would have the same issue. Vents from the front of the car leading under the hood act as a tunnel for air to go directly into the IC so when the car is not moving much (i.e. traffic) there might be a heatsoak issue. But when you're sitting in traffic, do you really need that extra performance? Also another reason why a recent comparison on WHP on the MS3, GTI, and civic SI was not done properly because they had the MS3's hood open with a fan blowing on over the top. It actually should have been done with the hood closed and the fan blowing onto the front.

4) Ford owns 33% (According to Mazda guy) of Mazda and Mazda was Fords only company that made money last year. I am no fan of Ford and everyone knows they have problems but I don't see them going away anytime soon. The Mazda 3 is the same platform as a Volvo S40. Reliability is subject to question but I don't believe it is as bad as people make it out to be.

5) I am not trying to promote either one but I am simply trying to point out that many people try to say they're "unbaised" but in reality they very much are. I have defended this car because I have been doing loads of research and trying to clear up all the heresay and speculation about a car that they haven't even driven. Seems most people on these boards are so AWD biased they swear it's the only possibility for a fast car. Almost as bad as those people who believe European cars are superior to everything else. Bottom line is, you can't go wrong with either car and they do come from entirely different backgrounds. If I was in a snowy area there'd be no question as to which I would prefer, but I don't.
    2006 STI OBP - SOLD
    Bye bye performance

Has anyone actually...

driven an MS3? It seems like there is a lot of argument over a car that isn't really out everywhere yet. I personally drive a 2006 WRX, and my wife drives a Mazda 3s, so I know how well both cars drive. I am not a professional car driver, and I don't have all that much experience with many different cars, so I will just leave it at that.

Now the MS3 should be a completely different beast from the regular 3. With 100 more horespower and ~100+ more torque (can't remember actual numbers for 3s), it should be a lot different in terms of feel and performance. I would assume the suspension is improved on as well.

I went by a mazda ( / pontiac) dealership last night and they had a brand new MS3 right out of inspection. I have to admit it was a stunningly beautiful car. Very sublte and aggressive all at the same time. Very low stance on 18" wheels. Very nice. Unfortunately they wouldn't let me drive it, so I had to drive a MS6 and a GTO instead (but this thread isn't about these cars).

So I will reserve judgement on the Mazda Speed 3 until I have given it a test drive.

CZ

1) The test was a good example of showing what the 3 can do, despite the constant talk of "understeer" and it being one of those terrible FWD cars. I feel it may have been quite biased considering the "price" they used in the comparison was a top of the line model WITH NAVIGATION ($1,750 option that has nothing to do with performance). Base price for a MS3 is $22,835 MSRP. And if you swap out the WRX's tires you can do the same with the Mazda 3 for even more traction. Once you start talking mods it's really pointless since the MS3 is barely out (and in some areas not out at all) so the aftermarket has to catch up to the years of WRX lovin'.

2) 5.8 seconds 0-60 has been achieved. Who launches from 1-2k rpms? Also, from a roll the Mazda 3 is faster. Someone did 10 mph intervals somewhere and the Mazda was faster through pretty much every one of them. Although for me, either way I don't base my decision based on a cars 0-60 or 1/4 mile times so for me, it's moot. Both cars are faster than 90% of cars on the road.

3) Heatsoak issues were way overblown and an ECU reflash from dealers fixed that.
    4) Ford owns 33% (According to Mazda guy) of Mazda and Mazda was Fords only company that made money last year. I am no fan of Ford and everyone knows they have problems but I don't see them going away anytime soon. The Mazda 3 is the same platform as a Volvo S40. Reliability is subject to question but I don't believe it is as bad as people make it out to be.

t.
    TO RE_CLEAR UP SOME THINGS:

1) The point is on the same tires, the test and professional drivers all say that the WRX is a better car, and their 'choice'. It is not a matter of the speed 3 swapping tires, it already has summer tires. SImply put, if you out both cars on similar or equal tires, all the professional drivers agree the WRX is the better of the cars, at least for an autocross.

2) While some magazine and car reviewsare off by .1 or so, MSN.com, edmunds.com, and motor trend all found the WRX to be about a half second faster in the 0-60 times. To say 'some people' have done this or that is fine, but all all factual professional conducted reviews and tests have proven the wrx to be faster in 0-60, which is about 90% of where most drivers find themselves. You are right that both cars are faster than 90% of what is out there.

3) The heatsoak issue is not overblown, if anything if it had some air it wouldn't suffering the heatsoak so much.The heatsoak has been a problem for a lot of the speed 3s in warm weather climates. I haven't heard anything about dealer's reflahsing ECUs, but I doubt that, as most dealerships would probably require remapping the ECU, which in most cases, unless done by the factory, voids the warranty. No way a major car company would remap hundreds of thousands of cars at the dealership for heatsoak and then just send them out really, knowing they would be responsible for those warranties. They do thousands of tests to map those ECUs in the first place, so I doubt they would remap at the dealership. Besides, you can remap, but engine internals are hardware, not software.

4) The issue of Ford losing money isn't to point out anything crazy, like Ford goin under, that will not happen. What could and probably will happen is this. Ford needs to save money, and will probably cut back on their spending from all departments, Ford, Jaguar (which they own, and are desperately trying to sell,) and Mazda. If you own a majority share as Ford does, you own the company. I just don't trust that down the road corners won't be cut. If you were to get a speed 3, I would get the 06.

I am glad that you are making a tough, yet responsible decision, and I wish you the best with your purchase. The Mazda 3 is a great choice, looks great, handles well, and is great on gas. But as in the article I posted above directly from the Motor Trend review, the WRX is the proven chioce of pros in handling and speed in the autocross, is still faster in 0-60, (and while barely, is still faster in the quarter mile too,) and still brings home the triple threat of Performance, Handling, and dependability. (Plus AWD).

Both cars are great, and AGAIN, we would be lucky to own and drive either one, but you said "you wished to clear up some misinformation." I was in the above post posting verified facts, from Motor Trend, MSN, and edmunds, compaired to you saying "some people" and "I have heard".

There are bigger things we could and should talk and debate about, like the silent holocaust in the Darfur region of Sudan, where 500,000 people are dead, but the facts don't lie, and in the case of the Impreza WRX vs. Mazdaspeed 3, the WRX is more than a capable performer, it is still faster in 0-60 and 1/4 mile, (if you are a straight line fan,) with just similar and not snow tires is better in the autocross, as it handles (AWD) and is faster, and still has Subaru's dependability. BOTH ARE GREAT CARS, they are built and serve different purposes. It also comes down to preference and what you like, as one is a fast FWD hatch, the other a fast and nible AWD rally inspired car. Again, who is down for a drive? Let's go get some burgers or ice cream.

to re_re_clear some things:

1) The drivers said they preferred the WRX. Ask 10 race car drivers what car they prefer and you'll get many different answers. Just because the 3 drivers they had test the cars said they preferred the WRX doesn't mean the WRX is a "better" car, it simply means they prefer it, maybe thye hate the way it looks, maybe they think they can tune more out of the WRX, maybe they have to autoX in the rain, or perhaps because they don't like FWD cars, no matter how well they perform (which appears to be the case with you and many others on this forum). Point is professional drivers themselves have differing opinions, so you really can't just take their word for anything. Use it as a guide, certainly, but not like an 11th commandment. I do find it interesting that they say they'd prefer the WRX over the MS3, and I think it's probably a combination of factors including the fact that the market does not support the MS3 right now as it does the WRX so they have seen the potential for the WRX and haven't seen the potential of the MS3. After all, they are professional autoX guys so I'm sure they don't race stock.

2) Car & Driver got the 5.8 time. And if someone wants a drag racing car they should not be getting either one of these cars. And launching a regular WRX is what destroys the trannies on these cars so I wouldn't really recommend doing so, especially if you go stage 2 in an 06 from the recent posts I've read about it. Not sure of the WRX's times, would be interesting to see them but from Car & Driver (the one in my hands) for the MS3:

mph seconds
    0-30 2.3
    40 3.4
    50 4.4
    60 5.8
    70 7.2
    80 9.3
    90 11.4
    100 14.8
    110 17.8
    120 21.9

5-60 6.7

14.4 1/4 mile

So do with that what you will. Again, there is so much more to a car than it's 1/4 mile or 0-60 times, especially with these cars since neither one was made for drag racing.

3) Where are you getting your information from? MS3's have been out for maybe a month in most places, and not available yet in most. I asked on mazda3forums.com about the heatsoak issue http://www.mazda3forums.com/index.php?topic=60260.0

4) Getting an 06 is impossible since the MS3 is a new model starting in 07. And 33% is not a majority of the company.

So you wanted me to quote sources and I have. Now where is that ice cream? I'll bet my chocolate syrup will melt my ice cream faster than yours
    2006 STI OBP - SOLD
    Bye bye performance

I Support ClubWRX
    FYI, remapping or reflashing of an ECU by a dealer is not all that rare. Some 04 STi models (most notabely those sold in crap gas CA) required a "dealer provided" ECU reflash to prevent the detonation. Early on, I believe the dealers had to physically remove the ECU and overnight it to SOA in NJ or in Japan. Later, the dealers were provided with the necessary software to peform this themselves. There is a sticky in the STi forum on this. Point is, this does happen, and dealers are quite capable of addressing it, provided they have the manufacturers backing of course.

As for Ford and their issues....all I'll say is this: Once a company becomes beholden to shareholders and the NASDAQ, you can pretty much kiss quality goodbye as it is all about the quick profit. If the rumours of Ford wanting to buy back their stock are true, I can only applaud them. Once they are again in control of their own destiny and not motivated purely by profit, things will change. GM is slowly gaining in quality after finally getting out of the finance business and re-focusing on their core product...building cars. They were criticized for splitting off GMAC, but they are in the business of making cars...not financing. These companies are large enough to be able to focus on their core production and still make great profits as long as they are not distracted by profit drive shareholder based decisions and/or divisons amongst the core groups due to different profit motiviations (car sales vs finance deals for instance).

As for heat soak...it's just plain physics. We deal with it on the Impreza too...only they have this neat little hole right above the TMIC to allow heat to actually escape. The Mazda line does not. It's pretty clear they will suffer more for this. Not doubt about it.
    tEh PriUs=teH faSTah!@@!
    08 Audi S5 Black Diamond edition
    SOLD: 05 SWP Legacy GT Limited 5MT, 13.3ish@105 (stage 2) crappy stock clutch
    SOLD: 04 MPS/SW WRX Sti. 12.971 @ 103.97 (stock)
    278 AWHP/283 AWT, Catback exhaust
    306 AWHP/341 AWT, Stage 2
    (Scott) Moderator-STi, Drag Racing, Car Purchasing, and Tutorial Forums

sorry. i'm have not read all of the pages here, but did anyone mention that car and driver compared the mazdaspeed 3 to a 2005 2.0 WRX? and it is a brand new article ...the 2007 WRXs are already here.

Quote Originally Posted by SCWRX View Post
    sorry. i'm have not read all of the pages here, but did anyone mention that car and driver compared the mazdaspeed 3 to a 2005 2.0 WRX? and it is a brand new article ...the 2007 WRXs are already here.
    Oh yeah its been coverd to say the least.
    2003 Platinum Silver Metalic Sedan
    VF-34 Powered
    My Mods
    Quote Originally Posted by Yossarian
    Even if your car was stock, your chances of warranty coverage are about as good as a retarded chimp trying to do a calculus problem while high on pcp.

Exclamation Facts can be verified. Here they are (again)

to re_re_clear some things:

1) The drivers said they preferred the WRX. Ask 10 race car drivers what car they prefer and you'll get many different answers. Just because the 3 drivers they had test the cars said they preferred the WRX doesn't mean the WRX is a "better" car, it simply means they prefer it, maybe thye hate the way it looks, maybe they think they can tune more out of the WRX, maybe they have to autoX in the rain, or perhaps because they don't like FWD cars, no matter how well they perform (which appears to be the case with you and many others on this forum). Point is professional drivers themselves have differing opinions, so you really can't just take their word for anything. Use it as a guide, certainly, but not like an 11th commandment. I do find it interesting that they say they'd prefer the WRX over the MS3, and I think it's probably a combination of factors including the fact that the market does not support the MS3 right now as it does the WRX so they have seen the potential for the WRX and haven't seen the potential of the MS3. After all, they are professional autoX guys so I'm sure they don't race stock.

2) Car & Driver got the 5.8 time. And if someone wants a drag racing car they should not be getting either one of these cars. And launching a regular WRX is what destroys the trannies on these cars so I wouldn't really recommend doing so, especially if you go stage 2 in an 06 from the recent posts I've read about it. Not sure of the WRX's times, would be interesting to see them but from Car & Driver (the one in my hands) for the MS3:

mph seconds
    0-30 2.3
    40 3.4
    50 4.4
    60 5.8
    70 7.2
    80 9.3
    90 11.4
    100 14.8
    110 17.8
    120 21.9

5-60 6.7

14.4 1/4 mile

So do with that what you will. Again, there is so much more to a car than it's 1/4 mile or 0-60 times, especially with these cars since neither one was made for drag racing.

3) Where are you getting your information from? MS3's have been out for maybe a month in most places, and not available yet in most. I asked on mazda3forums.com about the heatsoak issue http://www.mazda3forums.com/index.php?topic=60260.0

4) Getting an 06 is impossible since the MS3 is a new model starting in 07. And 33% is not a majority of the company.

So you wanted me to quote sources and I have. Now where is that ice cream? I'll bet my chocolate syrup will melt my ice cream faster than yours
    Some replies (while I am almmost afraid to, as this thread will continue like the $100 one )

1) Preference is just that, it doesn't mean better, just prefer. Some like peanut butter, some like jelly. However, the magazine said with equal tires, the WRX would outhandle and be faster in the autocross event STOCK than the MS3, AND the two professional drivers who each drove the course serveral times with each car to come up with the results both would still 'prefer' the WRX as their choice of the two.

2)Read the Motor Trend issue testing the speed 3 and WRX, and it had the WRX as a half second fatser 0-60 and the WRX barely, but still faster in 1/4 mile(and even mentioned this in the article.) edmunds.com has the WRX as faster, search it. Msn.com had the WRX as faster in 0-60 too. Just as most peeple on a particular forum such as Mazda or clubwrx.net, either objectively, or subjectively will stand by their car, all three of these are major independent sites who get paid to do numerous testing on such issues. If you want a straight line beast, sure you could go for another car, but both of these cars serve different needs. But in terms of 0-60 and 1/4, thw WRX is still the faster of the two.

#) Where did I get MY information? I have quoted the Motor Trend article word for word for you in an eariler post, I way back gave a link as well, and here is the MSN article reviewing every single spec of the WRX:
    http://autos.msn.com/research/vip/Sp...reza&trimid=-1
    Included in that is the 0-60 of 5.49 and a 1/4 time of 14.11
    A fact is something concreate that can be verified, and you can verify anything said here with a simple search as well or edmunds.com, or read the Motor Trend article directly compairing the two for yourself, but as this point, I have tried enough. Outside of discussion sake, I have repeated these points over and over, so I will leave the other 30 second google searches to you. Plus, outside of discussion, it seems a moot point to continue, as you have decided on the Mazda 3 for money reasons. I respect you decission and wish you the best.

4) Ford does own a Mazda, and a controlling share is what allows it. You can simply do a google search and type the words "Ford owns Mazda". Second one down from yahoo.com business confirms this, and the sixth one down confirms what I, several other people on this forum, and many outsiders fear when a product is controlled by Ford and their troubles. That since Ford has a bad reputation for quality, and two days ago announced third quarter loses this year to over 5.8 billion, that it would begin pulling resources from its sub companies, thus taking away its resources, or the mass firing and cost cutting would result in poorer quality/design, efficeny. It is from cnn.money and says the following:
    "Ford Motor Co. is turning to its Mazda unit to try to play catch up in the growing ... Ford owns a controlling 33 percent stake in the Japanese automaker. ..."
    You can read about these searches here:
    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=ford+owns+mazda
    Or read the cnnmoney aritcle here:
    http://money.cnn.com/2006/02/06/Auto...icar/index.htm
    Let the cost cutting, engineer firing, corner cutting begin for years to come!

My sources are are linked, and can be verified. I have ice cream, you should too. And yes, your chocolate syrup will melt faster, just like your arguements grasshopper.

P.S. All kidding aside, For the third time both are great cars, both can outhandle and are faster than 90% or what is out there, but they are two different cars built for different purposes. NOW, let's go for a drive!

OK...this is getting rediculous but I have to...

1) Can't really say it any more than I've already said it. Preference is preference. I'm sure there are plenty of professional drivers who would choose a MS3 or another FWD car over a WRX for an autoX. And swapping tires is swapping tires. Not like the MS3's tires are some ultra-sticky drag tires...put them on the same tire and that would be a better test.

2) Not sure why you keep telling me the WRX is faster in 0-60 and 1/4 mile and quoting me times....as if I'm not aware and don't already own an STI. I never argued that the MS3 was faster 0-60 and 1/4 mile. AWD is it's saviour in those tests. Take away the AWD advantage (from a roll) and the MS3 will win, especially past 100 mph. 0-60 and 1/4 miles times are simply stupid numbers that are terrible benchmarks for a cars speed since it's based largely on gearing (MS3 would be loads faster without a 3rd shift to 60), AWD (or lack thereof), and traction. No need to continually harp on those and try to quote me sources for the 0-60 and 1/4 miles since I haven't said the MS3 was faster in those categories. And for the last time, there is more to a car's performance than 0-60 and 1/4 miles. Handling, braking, weight, weight distribution, under/oversteer (which from the last Top Gear test of the STI I saw, even it had loads of understeer).

Here is a link to Edmunds (since you've used them a lot) review of the MS3: http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...ticleId=116868

Here is a link to a comparison test between the REGULAR Mazda 3 and the Honda Civic. In the article, they mention the Mazda "posted a 69-mph slalom speed, which is faster than the Subaru WRX STI we tested earlier this year." It also achieved .87g on all-season tires (again, regular Mazda 3). That's pretty damn impressive for a 14k econobox.

http://www.edmunds.com/apps/vdpconta...1/pageNumber=2

3) I don't need links to the WRX's specs. I was asking about the heatsoak issue. You were talking about the MS3's having heatsoak issues but didn't say where you got that information. Reflashes are often done to fix issues with cars as YBNormal has said. Also, heatsoak in traffic should not really be a concern, since any performance lost would not really matter going 10 mph.

4) I have already stated I'm not a fan of Ford. Nor am I a fan of Mazda. I never would have seen myself in any Mazdas besides an RX7. Test driving a Mazda 3 has changed my perception dramatically. Too bad I can't get my hands on a MS3 to test it or this debate would have a lot more hands-on, personal info.

And owning 33% of a company does not make you its owner. It says controlling stake, meaning that it owns the most out of any other single party. If I hold 33% of Microsoft that does not mean that I own Microsoft. Ford's quality and business have suffered and they have taken major losses. It is going through major changes to fix that. Time will tell whether or not it makes the right moves. Whether or not Ford owning part of Mazda will negatively affect Mazda is mere speculation based on Ford's history. A companies bad history doesn't necessarily mean it's going to continue to be bad. Japanese cars were crap at one point in history, and look where they are now.

Just please, go to a Mazda dealer and test drive a 3 (or MS3 if you can swing that). Then let me know what you think. But don't bash on a car you've never driven and merely read articles on. I have driven a regular Mazda 3 and a WRX, the WRX squealed and leaned a lot more than the Mazda 3. Both were hatchbacks/wagons. The Mazda 3 stuck shockingly well on a set of clover-leafs I went on at ~50 mph. Seriously, just go test drive one, you might surprise yourself.

On a side note I'm going to test drive a GTI sometime soon and see how I like that. Not a fan of VW's but I wasn't a fan of Mazda either. Boy car shopping is fun!
    2006 STI OBP - SOLD
    Bye bye performance

I thought it was neat how motortrend ran a 14.3 out of the Speed3 with only a 1000 rpm launch. Also I think it strange how some of you weren't allowed test drives on the Speed3. In each instance was it because they only had one of the lot?
    2005 Mazda 6 3.0L V6 5spd
    My CarDomain Site

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.