Mazda Speed 3.... - Page 3
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 138

This is a discussion on Mazda Speed 3.... within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally Posted by ArizonaWRX The WRX powertrain is good till 60,000 including the turbo, and older WRX with triple the ...

  1. #31
    Registered User farBeyondDriven's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    West Deptford, NJ
    Posts
    2,082
    Quote Originally Posted by ArizonaWRX
    The WRX powertrain is good till 60,000 including the turbo, and older WRX with triple the mileage are still going strong, provided you take care of them.
    I'm all for the WRX but I'm almost positive the powertrain warranty doesn't cover the turbo. It won't even cover the starter, altenator, radiator, etc. (that's only covered in the 3-year/36,000 bumper-to-bumper warranty) Just the drivetrain/powertrain itself is covered under the powertrain warranty - engine/transmission, their internals, etc.

    That's pretty much how my dealer explained it to me.
    2006 Panty Dropper

    "I want to die peacefully in my sleep, like my grandfather. Not screaming in terror like his passengers."

  2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements
     

  3. #32
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Vermont
    Posts
    104
    n00bulat0l2 to answer your call for someone with Mazda3 experience, I've literally driven at least a dozen of them. I also own an 05 WRX so I can tell you a few things about the differences. First of all I'm not sure why everyone thinks the interior in the 3 is so great. I've read the MotorTrend comparison of the two cars, and it looks like the MS3 gets an identical interior to the regular 3 (plus leather and badges). The interior is not fantastic, the quality and feel of the materials are no better than those used in the WRX, in my opinoin. I thought it had a cool interior at first as well, but it soon wore on me. I realize that interiors are subjective, but I'm not a huge fan of the black and red interior of the 3 that makes it seem a bit too adolescent. Secondly, the fact that the MS3 comes only in wagon form is a huge negative to me. I mean no offense to those of you who prefer/drive Rex wagons, but I'd rather ride my motorcycle all winter than drive a wagon anything.

    As far as driving the two goes: the 3 handles quite nicely for sure. It's tight, minimal body roll and it inspires confidence. However, I think someone was selling you when they said that it handles better than a WRX. The MS3 very well may, because it will have slightly upgraded suspension. But if you put 17 inch summer tires on the WRX and a decent rear sway bar, you'll drive circles around the MS3 without having to worry about plowing FWD understeer. In the end that's the MS3's biggest downfall, FWD. It may be a really good FWD, don't get me wrong I would love to test drive one. But no matter how fast you make it or how many suspension mods you add, it's going to have FWD characteristics and you can't argue that they aren't ideal for performance oriented vehicles or inclement weather.

  4. #33
    Registered User n00bulat0l2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Fairfax, VA
    Posts
    84
    Well it's pretty obvious you have a severe bias against Ford, since a car company owned by Ford = a Ford. I am not a fan of Fords either, but saying it's not a good car because Mazda is owned by Ford is not really fair. I believe in Subaru's reliability more than Mazda, however. Warranty bumper-to-bumper was the same for both I believe: 3 years/36k miles.

    The 3's turning radius seemed smaller than my 06 STI. I haven't really tried to do circles in a parking lot like I did with the 3, but I do feel like I've thought to myself "boy...seems like it should turn a little tighter than this."

    The AWD is sweet though, especially when racing people in the snow and rain So I do think I'd miss the AWD.

    As far as him being a salesman, of course I realize he's going to say things. I see through dealer/salesman/people's BS pretty well. I am a very skeptical person by nature. I was merely sharing my experience. He never saw what car I drove (was parked down the street at night at another dealership that he couldn't see). I asked "I'm looking to see if you have any Mazdaspeed 6's or 3's." He replied with something along the lines of "Oh did you hear about it and trying to sell your WRX too?" He then went on to ellaborate about his previous WRX so I know he wasn't lying about that. He was actually one of the most likable car salesman I've met. I have dealt with probably 10+ at this point (I like to test drive and car shop a lot, hehe).

    I was trying to see if anyone else has some thoughts on the MS3. It's all speculation at this point, however. But keep the opinions coming, whatever they may be. And let's not forget, I'm not some sort of Mazda salesman here, I own a friggin STI and I am merely looking for a cheaper replacement. My focus is fun to drive, handles well, doesn't need to be some sort of drag racer by any means, yet still practical and cheap cost/insurance. Prefer import (domestic resale value/quality = , want 4 doors and wagon/hatchback utility is a +, want reliability and warranty, don't really care about status or being the fastest 0-60 or 0-100 or 1/4 mile or any of that crap... So at this point I'm thinking:

    used/new WRX wagon
    Mazdaspeed3
    a FREE 94 civic with 204k miles...drive it till it stops and then leave it on the road...although for the next year or more I'll be hating life
    used 350z (mostly out of the picture, too impractical)
    used RX8 (love the way they look and they handle really well)
    2006 STI OBP - SOLD
    2007 True Red Mazda 3 Hatchback
    Bye bye performance
    Hello MONEY! How I missed you!

  5. #34
    Registered User n00bulat0l2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Fairfax, VA
    Posts
    84
    Quote Originally Posted by PegGrinder33
    n00bulat0l2 to answer your call for someone with Mazda3 experience, I've literally driven at least a dozen of them. I also own an 05 WRX so I can tell you a few things about the differences. First of all I'm not sure why everyone thinks the interior in the 3 is so great. I've read the MotorTrend comparison of the two cars, and it looks like the MS3 gets an identical interior to the regular 3 (plus leather and badges). The interior is not fantastic, the quality and feel of the materials are no better than those used in the WRX, in my opinoin. I thought it had a cool interior at first as well, but it soon wore on me. I realize that interiors are subjective, but I'm not a huge fan of the black and red interior of the 3 that makes it seem a bit too adolescent. Secondly, the fact that the MS3 comes only in wagon form is a huge negative to me. I mean no offense to those of you who prefer/drive Rex wagons, but I'd rather ride my motorcycle all winter than drive a wagon anything.

    As far as driving the two goes: the 3 handles quite nicely for sure. It's tight, minimal body roll and it inspires confidence. However, I think someone was selling you when they said that it handles better than a WRX. The MS3 very well may, because it will have slightly upgraded suspension. But if you put 17 inch summer tires on the WRX and a decent rear sway bar, you'll drive circles around the MS3 without having to worry about plowing FWD understeer. In the end that's the MS3's biggest downfall, FWD. It may be a really good FWD, don't get me wrong I would love to test drive one. But no matter how fast you make it or how many suspension mods you add, it's going to have FWD characteristics and you can't argue that they aren't ideal for performance oriented vehicles or inclement weather.
    Awesome thanks. He was not saying that the Mazda3 handles better than the WRX he was saying the Mazdaspeed3 handled better. Sorry for the confusion. I have not test driven a regular WRX yet (actually did once a year or so before getting my STI) but I will head back to the dealership and check it out for sure before making any final decision. True about the FWD although I was taking on/off ramps at speeds similar to my STI, although I get scared once I'm around 50 on a ramp marked 25 so maybe it can handle much more than I do. But my lack of real performance driving doesn't give me a good gauge I guess.

    Truth is, if I were to really push my STI I'd be so afraid of smacking into a wall or a person or a tree that I can't bring myself to approach its limits. Of course if I were not afraid to break something or had the money I'd go autocrossing with it to learn more about what it can do. That's another reason why I've decided to sell it. I am not using anywhere near what it has. If I did, it would be completely moronic to do on the streets anyways so why have all that potential if I never use it. I mean I may move my foot 2 or 3 inches onto the gas during normal driving. Halfway down if I want to dart ahead of someone. Full throttle is so rare in that thing for me. I think the normal WRX will be plenty for me to have fun on the streets. The mazdaspeed 3 probably would be too.
    2006 STI OBP - SOLD
    2007 True Red Mazda 3 Hatchback
    Bye bye performance
    Hello MONEY! How I missed you!

  6. #35
    Registered User enash99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Palm Harbor, FL
    Posts
    1,375
    n00bulat0l2 sry to hear your going to sell your STI. I did read you said it was for fiancial reasons, but do you really not like the car? Is there no way to compensate the funds needed for you to retain your STi? Most members would luv to have your car and im sure you wont have a hard time selling it. Although as for a cheaper alternative I feel you will be very dissapointed in either of the 2 cars being compared now that you have owned your STi.

    For my money im still for AWD. I could careless if the MSP3 was made by a bunch of donkeys let alone Ford. That makes no diff to me.. I would drive a turd if it was fast and handled on rails..
    2003 Platinum Silver Metalic Sedan
    VF-34 Powered
    My Mods
    Quote Originally Posted by Yossarian
    Even if your car was stock, your chances of warranty coverage are about as good as a retarded chimp trying to do a calculus problem while high on pcp.

  7. #36
    Registered User ArizonaWRX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    272

    Talking

    Quote Originally Posted by enash99
    I could careless if the MSP3 was made by a bunch of donkeys let alone Ford. That makes no diff to me.. I would drive a turd if it was fast and handled on rails..
    Yeah, ask some of the SRT 4 guys who have had to do a lot lof repairs. Seriously, though, if you sell your STI, good luck, I am sure you would enjoy the Mazdaspeed 3 or the WRX as they are both great cars. Two great cars with different appeal.

  8. #37
    Registered User enash99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Palm Harbor, FL
    Posts
    1,375
    Quote Originally Posted by ArizonaWRX
    Yeah, ask some of the SRT 4 guys who have had to do a lot lof repairs. Seriously, though, if you sell your STI, good luck, I am sure you would enjoy the Mazdaspeed 3 or the WRX as they are both great cars. Two great cars with different appeal.
    Neither car is an STi tho.. I really like my wrx but its just not an STi...
    2003 Platinum Silver Metalic Sedan
    VF-34 Powered
    My Mods
    Quote Originally Posted by Yossarian
    Even if your car was stock, your chances of warranty coverage are about as good as a retarded chimp trying to do a calculus problem while high on pcp.

  9. #38
    Moderator YBNormal07's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    6,245
    I Support ClubWRX
    Had a chance to play with one of these last week. It was pretty quick, but I denied him 3 times...3rd time was a failed ricer flybye attempt. I'm sure he was a bit confused that his mighty 260 HP and lighter car couldn't get by my family sedan. TBH, it wasn't even close, but then, I didn't expect it to be. Very subtle looking car though. It surprised me initially. Still...I just can't swing 260 to the front wheels. I've owned 2 FWD cars (Pontiac GTP and Maxima SE and they were simply nasty off the line. I'll likely never own one again.

    I didn't see anyone mention that fact that the MS3 essentially has the same engine as the MS6. Can you say "SEVERE HEAT SOAK". Known fact that these cars suffer from a sever loss of power on hot days and after being exercised. Their TMIC setup is even worse than ours.
    tEh PriUs=teH faSTah!@@!
    08 Audi S5 Black Diamond edition
    SOLD: 05 SWP Legacy GT Limited 5MT, 13.3ish@105 (stage 2) crappy stock clutch
    SOLD: 04 MPS/SW WRX Sti. 12.971 @ 103.97 (stock)
    278 AWHP/283 AWT, Catback exhaust
    306 AWHP/341 AWT, Stage 2
    (Scott) Moderator-STi, Drag Racing, Car Purchasing, and Tutorial Forums

  10. #39
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    3,087
    Quote Originally Posted by PegGrinder33
    As far as driving the two goes: the 3 handles quite nicely for sure. It's tight, minimal body roll and it inspires confidence. However, I think someone was selling you when they said that it handles better than a WRX.
    I've been driving a Mazda 3 for the last 28,000 miles of my life, having come out of a Stage 2 WRX with 17x7.5 SSR Comp's and Stoptech's BBK.

    before i elaborate, you forgot to mention that the Mazda 3 also outbrakes a WRX, and has a much better gearbox. it's actually fun to use.

    stock for stock, the Mazda 3 handles better. sorry. if you think it plows, you're wrong. it's delightfully neutral, i've adjusted its ass end with the throttle many times, just as easily as the WRX. you don't have to believe me if you don't want to, but my speedometer doesn't lie, and my cousin + fiancee will back me up 100%. in the Mazda, i can take turns going faster, period.


    Quote Originally Posted by PegGrinder33
    he MS3 very well may, because it will have slightly upgraded suspension. But if you put 17 inch summer tires on the WRX and a decent rear sway bar
    i think it's pretty sad that you have to spend more money on mods to get your $25K rally inspired sports sedan to handle better than a $16K economy car. keep spending if you want to outbrake the same economy car.

    the MPS 3 simply improves on what is already a very fun car to drive, and adds a ton of power and torque. as a track toy, the MPS 3 is a much better car out of the box.

    the WRX is severely outdated at this point. i can't wait until 2008....
    embattled, we prevail...only victory exhaled.

  11. #40
    Registered User n00bulat0l2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Fairfax, VA
    Posts
    84
    Some interesting thoughts here. I'm glad I wasn't the only one to feel that the Mazda 3 (the BASE one that I drove) handled unbelievably awesomer (that's right, awesomer) than anyone would think, especially when you consider it's a FWD economy car. Yeah selling my STI is not a decision I'm making because I don't like the car, I love it. That's a large part of the reason I'm looking at regular WRXs because I know it'll feel more like home when I get in and drive it. Figure if I end up unappy with it I can go stage 2 with it I'll be even closer to what I'm used to. I'm not really a mod-type guy (know a lot about cars but in terms of working on them I'm a complete n00b) so that's another thing I'm considering, because I want a car that I don't have to modify a lot to get it to perform.

    But I just can't justify not having any money in the bank because all my funds are going to my apartment and my car. Apartment is $800 a month, then throw in $520 car payment + $280 insurance = $800 more every month in addition to premium fuel @ 17 mpg. Yeah, I bought the car thinking I'd be making more money in a year and that fell through so I've decided to do the mature, financially responsible thing and sell the beast. Why oh why can't I be one of those spoiled brat kids who's parents buy them everything? Actually I'm glad I'm not...but it would be nice
    Last edited by n00bulat0l2; 10-18-2006 at 06:55 AM.
    2006 STI OBP - SOLD
    2007 True Red Mazda 3 Hatchback
    Bye bye performance
    Hello MONEY! How I missed you!

  12. #41
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    3,087
    Quote Originally Posted by n00bulat0l2
    But I just can't justify not having any money in the bank because all my funds are going to my apartment and my car.
    which is why i sold my 'Rex and got a nice handling economy car

    financial security > *
    embattled, we prevail...only victory exhaled.

  13. #42
    Registered User Griswold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Salem, MA
    Posts
    269
    Quote Originally Posted by n00bulat0l2
    Some interesting thoughts here. I'm glad I wasn't the only one to feel that the Mazda 3 (the BASE one that I drove) handled unbelievably awesomer (that's right, awesomer) than anyone would think, especially when you consider it's a FWD economy car. Yeah selling my STI is not a decision I'm making because I don't like the car, I love it. That's a large part of the reason I'm looking at regular WRXs because I know it'll feel more like home when I get in and drive it. Figure if I end up unappy with it I can go stage 2 with it I'll be even closer to what I'm used to. I'm not really a mod-type guy (know a lot about cars but in terms of working on them I'm a complete n00b) so that's another thing I'm considering, because I want a car that I don't have to modify a lot to get it to perform.

    But I just can't justify not having any money in the bank because all my funds are going to my apartment and my car. Apartment is $800 a month, then throw in $520 car payment + $280 insurance = $800 more every month in addition to premium fuel @ 17 mpg. Yeah, I bought the car thinking I'd be making more money in a year and that fell through so I've decided to do the mature, financially responsible thing and sell the beast. Why oh why can't I be one of those spoiled brat kids who's parents buy them everything? Actually I'm glad I'm not...but it would be nice
    I think the MS3 will be a fun car to drive. No question. You have to do what's right for you. There've been nothing but good reviews about the car. If you like it and the price is right, I wouldn't think twice.

    I did something similar. I got out of a modded Audi A4 1.8T that was burying me with repair costs while I was still making payments. It was a wonderful car, but I've had so much fun with the MSP (fwd or not) that I haven't looked back.

    Of course, I think normal WRX will be great too, so you're in a win-win situation.

  14. #43
    Moderator YBNormal07's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    6,245
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Griswold
    I think the MS3 will be a fun car to drive. No question. You have to do what's right for you. There've been nothing but good reviews about the car. If you like it and the price is right, I wouldn't think twice.

    I did something similar. I got out of a modded Audi A4 1.8T that was burying me with repair costs while I was still making payments. It was a wonderful car, but I've had so much fun with the MSP (fwd or not) that I haven't looked back.

    Of course, I think normal WRX will be great too, so you're in a win-win situation.
    This is a good assessment and recommendation. I'd be hypocritical if I couldn't agree, seeing as I went from an STi to a Legacy...mainly for 2 reasons: cost and ride quality. I miss the STi's brutal power and cornering ability, but I don't miss the jolting ride or the much higher payments.
    tEh PriUs=teH faSTah!@@!
    08 Audi S5 Black Diamond edition
    SOLD: 05 SWP Legacy GT Limited 5MT, 13.3ish@105 (stage 2) crappy stock clutch
    SOLD: 04 MPS/SW WRX Sti. 12.971 @ 103.97 (stock)
    278 AWHP/283 AWT, Catback exhaust
    306 AWHP/341 AWT, Stage 2
    (Scott) Moderator-STi, Drag Racing, Car Purchasing, and Tutorial Forums

  15. #44
    Registered User enash99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Palm Harbor, FL
    Posts
    1,375
    Quote Originally Posted by AngelBoy
    before i elaborate, you forgot to mention that the Mazda 3 also outbrakes a WRX, and has a much better gearbox. it's actually fun to use..
    haha so does a 1982 Chevette, it doesnt take much to accomplish this.

    Quote Originally Posted by AngelBoy
    the WRX is severely outdated at this point. i can't wait until 2008....
    I dont think i can agree with you here. Can you elaborate on what you feel is "Out dataed"

    I my mind in 2002 the WRX was one of the pioneers in this market. Now you are starting to see alot more cars built to compete with this car. I do agree it was one of the first but as it was built in 2002 (aside from the shim bucket design which they quickly went away from in 2003, and the terrible first and second gears) it was ahead of most manufactures.
    2003 Platinum Silver Metalic Sedan
    VF-34 Powered
    My Mods
    Quote Originally Posted by Yossarian
    Even if your car was stock, your chances of warranty coverage are about as good as a retarded chimp trying to do a calculus problem while high on pcp.

  16. #45
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    3,087
    Quote Originally Posted by enash99
    I dont think i can agree with you here. Can you elaborate on what you feel is "Out dataed"
    Quote Originally Posted by enash99
    I my mind in 2002 the WRX was one of the pioneers in this market. Now you are starting to see alot more cars built to compete with this car.
    hehe you almost answered your own question. since its introduction in 2002, the SRT-4 will easily beat it in the 1/4, and the Civic Si, Mini Cooper S, and MPS 3 will easily auto-x better than the WRX, with the MPS 3 winning in almost every other performance category.

    it's still the best all around car, that's for sure, and it still has a lot of personality, but it's not such a performance bargain anymore. IMO, if you buy a WRX, it means you really like what it's about. if it's performance you're looking for, there's better options elsewhere.
    embattled, we prevail...only victory exhaled.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •