Oh the Injustice...a must read!!!!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Oh the Injustice...a must read!!!! within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Background... Me, 02 Wagon protuned TDC stage 2 + up-pipe + TMIC + catless. So I am driving home tonight ...

Oh the Injustice...a must read!!!!

Background...

Me, 02 Wagon protuned TDC stage 2 + up-pipe + TMIC + catless.

So I am driving home tonight sitting at a light waiting to turn left and just before I get the green a 02/03 WRB WRX passes by. I turn left and see that he has at least an exhaust and is de-badged. I speed up to catch him and get behing him at the next light. He takes off rather quickly and I let him get ahead but not too far. He sees me behind him and gets on it, I follow and we catch another light both turning left. Light turns he hits it hard, I am in the inner lane so I let him get around and then get on it. I am right behind him just barely inching ahead up to about 90 when I decide that was fast enough and he keeps on it. I continue to follow and we are both merging onto a freeway behind a 18 wheeler. Once we get around the truck we both hit it...he is ahead and I stay right on his tail, maybe slightly inching but by the time we hit triple digits I decided that was fast enough and let him go. I follow him to his exit (one past mine) to chat. Friendly fellow and I asked him about his mods....Get this....catback..MBC and CAI....ahhhhh!!!! WTF I was waiting to hear BOV but I was so shocked he could have said engine swap from an 82 Chevette and it wouldn't have phased me....

All the money I have spent and time for tuning only to be almost bested by a WRX that has every horrible aftermarket abomination... I should have saved my money!!!

Discuss.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

id rather be safe than sorry, you too? There is more to performance modding than just the results...its reliability. Some take the chance on cheaper mods, I dont see a reason why too and judging by your mods you dont seem to either. Your engine/turbo will most likely last longer and run stronger.
    Last edited by roo21; 10-15-2006 at 09:53 PM.
    Cobb Stage 2

sounds like a sick drive home

and yeah, he must be running a lot of boost so im guessing engine tata soon.

Administrator
    I Support ClubWRX
    I could take a stock WRX and turn up the boost to 20+ psi and probably beat you. My engine wouldn't last very long though. You paid good money for a fast, reliable car.

Wagon is nearly 100 pounds heavier than a sedan if that's what it was too. Reliable safe power > MBC anyday.
    2006 WRX WRB Wagon
    Stage 2 Cobb catless DP and Borla Hush CBE
    *Total Loss*

Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex
    I could take a stock WRX and turn up the boost to 20+ psi and probably beat you. My engine wouldn't last very long though. You paid good money for a fast, reliable car.
    He said he was running 15 psi.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert46123
    Wagon is nearly 100 pounds heavier than a sedan if that's what it was too. Reliable safe power > MBC anyday.
    Yes, I am all for reliability...but, here is my math.

Up-pipe+catless downpipe is said to be good for 25 whp

Protune + TMIC running 16.5-17 psi should be good for another 20.

That's 45 extra whp, that should certainly make up for the 130 lbs difference. (I am 200 and estimated him at 170)

Quote Originally Posted by scott144
    Background...

Me, 02 Wagon protuned TDC stage 2 + up-pipe + TMIC + catless.

So I am driving home tonight sitting at a light waiting to turn left and just before I get the green a 02/03 WRB WRX passes by. I turn left and see that he has at least an exhaust and is de-badged. I speed up to catch him and get behing him at the next light. He takes off rather quickly and I let him get ahead but not too far. He sees me behind him and gets on it, I follow and we catch another light both turning left. Light turns he hits it hard, I am in the inner lane so I let him get around and then get on it. I am right behind him just barely inching ahead up to about 90 when I decide that was fast enough and he keeps on it. I continue to follow and we are both merging onto a freeway behind a 18 wheeler. Once we get around the truck we both hit it...he is ahead and I stay right on his tail, maybe slightly inching but by the time we hit triple digits I decided that was fast enough and let him go. I follow him to his exit (one past mine) to chat. Friendly fellow and I asked him about his mods....Get this....catback..MBC and CAI....ahhhhh!!!! WTF I was waiting to hear BOV but I was so shocked he could have said engine swap from an 82 Chevette and it wouldn't have phased me....

All the money I have spent and time for tuning only to be almost bested by a WRX that has every horrible aftermarket abomination... I should have saved my money!!!

Discuss.
    CAI.. this has forever been described as the worst mod for our cars, but actually not true if your going to make big power. I am now running a CAI that will be tuned on Friday. If you install a CAI, with the stock turbo and do not tune for it then your hurting your performance by a few HP up top, in my case I will be hoping to pick up a couple up top. My target is to have a safe tune with 22-23 PSI at 4500 and 19 PSI at redline. Looking for somewhere in the 300WHP range.

One of the major problems with the CAI and why they cause issues, (besides hydro - lock) is the turbulance at the MAF. So with that being said the Stock setup (minus the silencer and a GP moto elbow installed) will provide you stage 2 guys the most efficent cold air you can get with out tuning. Now i know that there have been many dyno runs where they have tuned cars and still seen a loss of power up top with a CAI installed. I dont seem to still have the link but AEM did a really good test and show pretty equal results. I think the stock box was still a tad better but that was with the stock turbo. With a turbo a little larger than mine, maybe a vf-30 or a super 16g then you will gain up top. The stock box wont be able to provide enough air.

IMO the only way you will ever know if the CAI will work for you and your mods is to get a tuen, take the stock setup and swap them, tune both see which gives you better results, then run that setup. Scott Seigel will be tuning my car on Friday so we will see which is better, I am taking my stock box with me. (to bad its a road tune tho - the only way i will know if the CAI is hurting my performance is the MAF voltage.)

as for the BOV, jeese people get over it, do you know how many wrx's and sti's have a bov. In fact I cant remember the last time i even see one with out. who cares.. I like the ricey sounds..

my 2 pennies...
    Last edited by enash99; 10-16-2006 at 08:15 AM.
    2003 Platinum Silver Metalic Sedan
    VF-34 Powered
    My Mods
    Quote Originally Posted by Yossarian
    Even if your car was stock, your chances of warranty coverage are about as good as a retarded chimp trying to do a calculus problem while high on pcp.

Banned
    now if I am not mistaken you should have left your stock tmic on unless you are upgrading the turbo, cause stage 2 at least for cobb just requires the exhaust be done and that is it.

Quote Originally Posted by Maccgyver
    now if I am not mistaken you should have left your stock tmic on unless you are upgrading the turbo, cause stage 2 at least for cobb just requires the exhaust be done and that is it.
    No, I have been pro-tuned beyond stage 2 for the TMIC. I am what would be considered a Utec Stage 3 which includes top mount, upipe, turbo back. That should net me 240 whp 225 wtq.

He said he was running 15 psi.

Your tune will not spool as fast as his MBC. Basically as fast as that turbo can physically spool it will. If you look at your WG duty cycles your constantly bleeding boost from 0.00 to your target boost. This is to give you a nice smooth controlled boost curve and to limit Boost creep.. Even if he is 1-2 PSI less than you he probably will still have you till the very upper limit of speeds that your car can go..

No, I have been pro-tuned beyond stage 2 for the TMIC. I am what would be considered a Utec Stage 3 which includes top mount, upipe, turbo back. That should net me 240 whp 225 wtq.
    Is this what you dyno'ed at? You still have your dyno charts from your protune? Your probably very close to that hp but i would say in the 230 range..
    Last edited by enash99; 10-16-2006 at 12:25 PM.
    VF-34 Powered
    My Mods
    Even if your car was stock, your chances of warranty coverage are about as good as a retarded chimp trying to do a calculus problem while high on pcp.

My friend has a stock 02 wrx, i have a cobb stage 2 plus up 05 wrx. From a 20mph roll we are dead even. What i noticed most is that the stage II wrx is no faster then a stock wrx until you hit 3rd gear then it really has a huge advantage, we race all the time and 1st and 2nd is even, for the record i ran a best of a 13.9@100mph he ran a best of a 14.7@92mph.
    2005 WRX (Short throw shifter, lightweight pulley,STI Splitters,Tein H-Tech springs,Up/Down Pipe, ERZ Catback, Cobb Stage 2, ASA JH8 with Yokohama ES 100s) 13.680@100.46mph

I wouldn't worry about it too much. My car isn't tuned, has horrible sohc heads, and will still pull away from sti's pretty quick from a roll but is still reliable. You may be dissapointed now but you'll have a better foundation for future mods.

Banned
    really cause cobb got 265 whp on the stage 2 alone.

Quote Originally Posted by Maccgyver
    really cause cobb got 265 whp on the stage 2 alone.

Umm yeah and you believe that? that is where the cobb stage 2.5 (vf-34 or vf-39) number begin. not a stage 2.

Quote Originally Posted by Damien83
    I wouldn't worry about it too much. My car isn't tuned, has horrible sohc heads, and will still pull away from sti's pretty quick from a roll but is still reliable. You may be dissapointed now but you'll have a better foundation for future mods.
    im intrested in your legacy, what do you have done? sounds mean!
    VF-34 Powered
    My Mods

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast