2006 WRX vs 2000 Civic w/ K20 ?? - Page 4
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

This is a discussion on 2006 WRX vs 2000 Civic w/ K20 ?? within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally Posted by farBeyondDriven you said k20, not k20a2... and i did the math = 160hp on a 2500 lb ...

Quote Originally Posted by farBeyondDriven
    you said k20, not k20a2... and i did the math = 160hp on a 2500 lb car does not equal low 13's...

if your talking about a k20a2 then don't just say k20 and not expect confusion, toolbag... i've heard of ricers dropping base model RSX k20's in their civics, it's not unheard of, especially since these engine swaps are mostly from stolen cars - they take whatever they can get
    lol ... you got smacked behind the head with your own comment. Don't correct others, if you don't know what you are talking about.
    O2 WRBlue

(( MODs + Pics ))

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

The verdict: I didnt get to race him one on one. BUT! when we were on the highway he lined up at about 50mph with another K20 swap (hatch) and went at it. I was right behind them and didnt even downshift (forgot what gear i was in) they looked like the were inching away at first but in a matter of like 3-4 seconds my car started pulling up to them, and I had 2 other passengers and luggage form my weekend "getaway". Needless to say that if it were just me I would have pulled on there cars with no problem
    New England F4

Turbo XS Bov FS/Trade (HKS sequential)

hmm?

i've ridden in a couple fast K20 swaps, and they'd definitely own me... it just depends on the car i guess.
    03 WRX - daily driver
    91 teg - needs a trans, the current one is soup.

I Support ClubWRX
    It has been my experience that the civic swaps that everyone talks so much about aren't all that quick. The only honda products I look out for are boosted or lightened. From a dig or from a roll, I just don't have any fear of them at all. I see numbers tossed around (and I'd love to see someone actually pull 260-270 HP from those blocks) but it seems that for all the money that gets tossed onto those cars, there just isn't that much return in investment. Even a boosted civic running 5 psi couldn't outrun my stage 2 STi from a roll...it took well into triple digits before he started gaining on me.

Don't get me wrong...I just have never experienced any stock weight swapped civic that would concern me. I'm sure they are out there...some of the old CRX bodies are ungodly light.
    tEh PriUs=teH faSTah!@@!
    08 Audi S5 Black Diamond edition
    SOLD: 05 SWP Legacy GT Limited 5MT, 13.3ish@105 (stage 2) crappy stock clutch
    SOLD: 04 MPS/SW WRX Sti. 12.971 @ 103.97 (stock)
    278 AWHP/283 AWT, Catback exhaust
    306 AWHP/341 AWT, Stage 2
    (Scott) Moderator-STi, Drag Racing, Car Purchasing, and Tutorial Forums

Quote Originally Posted by YBNormal07 View Post
    It has been my experience that the civic swaps that everyone talks so much about aren't all that quick. The only honda products I look out for are boosted or lightened. From a dig or from a roll, I just don't have any fear of them at all. I see numbers tossed around (and I'd love to see someone actually pull 260-270 HP from those blocks) but it seems that for all the money that gets tossed onto those cars, there just isn't that much return in investment. Even a boosted civic running 5 psi couldn't outrun my stage 2 STi from a roll...it took well into triple digits before he started gaining on me.

Don't get me wrong...I just have never experienced any stock weight swapped civic that would concern me. I'm sure they are out there...some of the old CRX bodies are ungodly light.
    I dunno but civic hatches with k20 type s are wicked fast.
    O2 WRBlue

(( MODs + Pics ))

Quote Originally Posted by 4WDwRx View Post
    I dunno but civic hatches with k20 type s are wicked fast.
    I agree, but my friend who loves engine swaps, says it's TOO expensive of an engine. $6000 for a K20. For $6000 we could make our WRX hella FAST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's not practical to swap a K20 unless you have some major $$$$.
    Meng Hang

Ogura Corporation (US Headquarters) Chesterfield Township, MI
    Network System Administrator, IT Supervisor
    Black WRX 2002, ...with 18G with Stock IC.

k24 with a k20 head in an CRX... /shudder seen it and dont ever want to run him again... stock WRXs are fun but not like that thing.... he had to cut his hood to fit the motor but god damn its fast....
    2003 Hyundai Tiburon GTV6 (sold)
    2002 Subaru Impreza WRX

Quote Originally Posted by YBNormal07 View Post

Depends on the engine and the car. A modded Type R B18 or K20 in a CRX or early 90's Civic hatch can be monstrously quick. Likewise with some of the frankenstein swaps (B20 with B16 or B18 head, LS/VTECs, built H22, etc.). You're sort of right though. It's only the early nineties hatches and CRXs that tend to get really fast with those swaps. The clincher though is that aside from the K20, most of those swaps can be really cheap and easy to do for someone that actually has some mechanical know-how (not your average riceboy). Integra engines and components for those frankenstein swaps are easily found in junkyards for next to nothing. A friend of mine has a CRX with a LS B18 with B16 Type R head swap (I think that's what it is, anyway). That thing is a damn monster. He also daily drives a EP with a turbo kit.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by MengHang View Post
    I agree, but my friend who loves engine swaps, says it's TOO expensive of an engine. $6000 for a K20. For $6000 we could make our WRX hella FAST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's not practical to swap a K20 unless you have some major $$$$.
    Please fix your sig. Forum rules only allow 6 lines max, including blank lines, at a normal size font. Thanks in advance.
    tEh PriUs=teH faSTah!@@!

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Skunkers View Post
    Depends on the engine and the car. A modded Type R B18 or K20 in a CRX or early 90's Civic hatch can be monstrously quick. Likewise with some of the frankenstein swaps (B20 with B16 or B18 head, LS/VTECs, built H22, etc.). You're sort of right though. It's only the early nineties hatches and CRXs that tend to get really fast with those swaps. The clincher though is that aside from the K20, most of those swaps can be really cheap and easy to do for someone that actually has some mechanical know-how (not your average riceboy). Integra engines and components for those frankenstein swaps are easily found in junkyards for next to nothing. A friend of mine has a CRX with a LS B18 with B16 Type R head swap (I think that's what it is, anyway). That thing is a damn monster. He also daily drives a EP with a turbo kit.
    That is basically what I was saying. On the average though, civics are nothing to be concerned about. Wheres on the average, you just never know what you are up against with a WRX platform as mods are easy to come by and produce a much higher return on investment. I applaud anyone who makes their car faster, regardless of the platform or methods. Having grown up in the muscle car era though, low torque light weight platforms have simply never appealed to me. I want to get mashed into my seat when I put the throttle down NOW...not after "vtec" kicks in. Our cars do this quite well even in mild forms of tune. You really can't say this for a civic...even with a motor swap. Now a turbo....that is another ball game
    tEh PriUs=teH faSTah!@@!

Just incase anyone was still interested. A buddy of mine (dudley123) recently ran a K20ed EG hatch up in PHX. He drives a 06 TR with a TBE and Cobb OTS Stage 2 Map. I believe he won by about 4 cars.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by j87w View Post
    Just incase anyone was still interested. A buddy of mine (dudley123) recently ran a K20ed EG hatch up in PHX. He drives a 06 TR with a TBE and Cobb OTS Stage 2 Map. I believe he won by about 4 cars.
    Kind of supports my point above. The civics you need to concern yourself with are usually few and far between. The majority are just plain slow (all in perspective of course....there are many cars that are much slower).
    tEh PriUs=teH faSTah!@@!

Registered User farBeyondDriven's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Skunkers View Post
    Well, the regular K20A (JDM ITR) is 220hp, not 160hp. So an actual plain K20 would technically be the strongest K20 motor they produce. The 160hp model would be an A3 (Either base RSX or previous gen Civic Si). The A2 (Early model Type-S) /Z1 (Late model Type-S) /Z3 (New Si) are all different derivatives of the same engine and they all make ~200hp.

You're right, K20A3 swaps are not unheard of. But generally speaking when you're talking about a K20 swap, you can assume it's a Type-S/Type-R K20, not an A3 RSX engine. Likewise on this forum, when you hear someone's swapping to an EJ25, you can safely assume it's not coming from a Impreza 2.5RS.
    a kid around my way has the base model k20 swap (k20a3 per your post) in his Civic... he always refered to it as a k20 swap... i know it's not the best swap but ricers will take whatever they can get, i'm sure it's stolen or something...

most people around me only refer to them as k20 and k20 type-s...

Quote Originally Posted by 4WDwRx View Post
    lol ... you got smacked behind the head with your own comment. Don't correct others, if you don't know what you are talking about.
    i said "base-model RSX k20" obviously refering to the base model, sorry i'm not a honda engine code expert so stfu... by the way the kid i was correcting refered to the k20a2 (type-s) as just k20

k20a is the strongest k20 ever produced according to Skunkers, i never said k20a, i said "base model RSX k20", so how did i get smacked behind the head with my own comment? i'm pretty sure when i said "base model RSX k20" it was clear i didn't mean the "only-offered-in-Japan" JDM ITR k20a...
    Last edited by farBeyondDriven; 10-27-2006 at 12:53 PM.
    2006 Panty Dropper

"I want to die peacefully in my sleep, like my grandfather. Not screaming in terror like his passengers."

Quote Originally Posted by farBeyondDriven View Post
    k20a is the strongest k20 ever produced according to Skunkers, i never said k20a, i said "base model RSX k20", so how did i get smacked behind the head with my own comment? i'm pretty sure when i said "base model RSX k20" it was clear i didn't mean the "only-offered-in-Japan" JDM ITR k20a...
    lol... my bad. well you pointed out 160hp civic dont = 13sec. so, you would figure that he is talking about a "S model RSX k20".
    O2 WRBlue

(( MODs + Pics ))

Quote Originally Posted by farBeyondDriven View Post
    a kid around my way has the base model k20 swap (k20a3 per your post) in his Civic... he always refered to it as a k20 swap... i know it's not the best swap but ricers will take whatever they can get, i'm sure it's stolen or something...

most people around me only refer to them as k20 and k20 type-s...
    Again, I'm agreeing with you, I'm not saying you're wrong. The kid you're talking about did indeed do a K20 swap. If the engine was stolen or happened upon or something, that changes matters. But 99% of people that do engine swaps don't swap to the slowest engine they can get. When someone says they did an SR20 swap, you don't assume it was an N/A SR20DE out of a Sentra or Silvia Qs. You assume it's an SR20DET out of a Silvia Ks. Likewise when someone swaps a 2JZ into an N/A Supra or SC300/IS300, chances are it's a GTE. Or like I said, an EJ25 swap on this forum is going to 9 times out of 10 be a WRX/STI 2.5.

That's the only point I'm making. Don't assume that K20 swaps are slow, since the more common K20 swaps will be capable of 275hp NA when modded (and if they are swapped, they are certainly modded).

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast