06 WRX versus a 2000ish Pontiac Grand Prix
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on 06 WRX versus a 2000ish Pontiac Grand Prix within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; It was wack, I took off regular heard him rev hard, I slammed the throttle and pulled about 2 cars ...

06 WRX versus a 2000ish Pontiac Grand Prix

It was wack, I took off regular heard him rev hard, I slammed the throttle and pulled about 2 cars on him to 70mph. To me this seemed kind of weak. I really feel like this car is slow. I am used to an 02 cobb stage 2 wrx, and the more I drive this (06), the slower it feels to me. I know it's just the but dyno, but man I need stage 2 now!
    I mean a Grand Prix?
    An old one at that. I did however somke the crap out of him getting on a hwy ramp at (I'm not going to say) high speed. It was funny watching his car plow like a tractor and then see him have to slow down to save his life, then try again only to have the same result. Of course the idiot starts weaving in and out of tight traffic in defeat. I stopped when the traffic got heavy. Totally not worth it by that point. Heck none of it was worth it.
    My car looks just like this without the skirts and roof wing! Yeah baby!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by scoob
    It was wack, I took off regular heard him rev hard, I slammed the throttle and pulled about 2 cars on him to 70mph. To me this seemed kind of weak. I really feel like this car is slow. I am used to an 02 cobb stage 2 wrx, and the more I drive this (06), the slower it feels to me. I know it's just the but dyno, but man I need stage 2 now!
    I mean a Grand Prix?
    An old one at that. I did however somke the crap out of him getting on a hwy ramp at (I'm not going to say) high speed. It was funny watching his car plow like a tractor and then see him have to slow down to save his life, then try again only to have the same result. Of course the idiot starts weaving in and out of tight traffic in defeat. I stopped when the traffic got heavy. Totally not worth it by that point. Heck none of it was worth it.
    When you go Stage 2 in that '06 you'll forget all about your '02.
    2006 WRX WRB Wagon
    Stage 2 Cobb catless DP and Borla Hush CBE
    *Total Loss*

Really? I sure hope your right, because that thing (02) really moved man. I wounder why cobb can't get anymore horses out of the 06's than the earlier models? Could it be the head design, or just the small ass turbo? Hummm.

Really? I sure hope your right, because that thing (02) really moved man. I wounder why cobb can't get anymore horses out of the 06's than the earlier models? Could it be the head design, or just the small ass turbo? Hummm.
    With Stage 2 it's not about peak HP. (Although it's similar to the '02) It's about the incredible amount of torque and when it comes on. Just compare the peak TQ and the dyno charts. It's an amazing difference.
    2006 WRX WRB Wagon
    Stage 2 Cobb catless DP and Borla Hush CBE
    *Total Loss*

the pontiac grand prix GTP's are pretty quick and respond very well to mods
    dont be too ashamed

Quote Originally Posted by Robert46123
    With Stage 2 it's not about peak HP. (Although it's similar to the '02) It's about the incredible amount of torque and when it comes on. Just compare the peak TQ and the dyno charts. It's an amazing difference.

They do have good mod potential, but I doubt this one was modded.
    Rob, where do you really feel the power, I mean torque delivery? Is it just in the start (launch) or is it a beast from a roll too? I always though HP is mostly use from a roll and such.

They do have good mod potential, but I doubt this one was modded.
    Rob, where do you really feel the power, I mean torque delivery? Is it just in the start (launch) or is it a beast from a roll too? I always though HP is mostly use from a roll and such.
    Other way around. Torque gets you out of the hole, HP gets you to speed...
    Family fun: 2010 BMW M3 Sedan; STOCK
    Single fun: 2012 Mustang Boss 302; STOCK
    SOLD to my Brother: 02 WRX Sedan / Short throw, K+N drop in, Helix up and down pipe, Borla Hush twin tip, Whiteline sways and endlinks, KYB GR2s, Swift springs, Cobb Stage 2
    SOLD: 05 Mustang GT Convertible / blown and tuned by Dynospeed Racing, Memphis TN

yeah the power is the same, but the torque is what, almost 50 more? thats huge. and it seems like the stock 06s are really underrated so i bet youre making near stg 1 power anyway.

The main reason Cobb doesn't get more HP out of their tune is because the TD04 (which is in the 02's and 06's) is pretty maxed out. You'll need a VF39 or bigger to get more HP...along with a bunch more TQ
    Jamie
    John 3:3
    XTi

You've got a lot easier (and cheaper) route to upgrade that turbo than others of us who have the 2.5. I'm talking $1200-1400 for just an 18g for my car! WRXs can upgrade for half that.
    John M
    2000 Lincoln Continental - slow DD with the DOHC 4.6 and a Superchips tune
    1992 Lexus SC400 - slow resto project
    2005 Legacy GT Limited - SOLD Feb 2011 - Forged internals, FP HTA Green @ 22 psi.

Quote Originally Posted by Herknav
    Other way around. Torque gets you out of the hole, HP gets you to speed...

Ummmm yeah that's pretty much what I said.

I'll probably leave turbo upgrades alone for a while since it's a gauranteed warranty buster, but it would be nice though.

02-05 wrx stg2

06 wrx stg2

As you can see the 06 gets 50 or so more TQ at 3000 while the 02-05 doesn't get it's peak TQ till 5100... Although with all that TQ at 3k I hope those new trannies in the 06 can hold up.
    Last edited by Thrawl; 10-01-2006 at 09:01 AM.

That TD04 is such a waste of time on the '06. Ditch that turbo fast.
    This message printed on 100% recycled electrons.

I Support ClubWRX
    The 06 should have came with atleast a vf-39, but that would gap the STI pretty good power wise.
    0-60 faster then your first sexual experience.
    "You've come far, and though you're far from the end
    You don't mind where you are, cause you know where you've been"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast