02 wrx vs 06 cobalt ss
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on 02 wrx vs 06 cobalt ss within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I heard this from a friend that his stock STOCK cobalt ss has 220hp at the wheels and something like ...

02 wrx vs 06 cobalt ss

I heard this from a friend that his stock STOCK cobalt ss has 220hp at the wheels and something like 240 ft/lbs and says it can beat my stock '02 wrx. I asked since it is a FWD car if it has any wheel spin and he said no it doesnt as it has 18" rims.

I was looking at the site and the top of the line cobalt ss has 205hp...i think this is bull****. He says his car will smoke mine with no problem i dont believe him, i will have to race him sometime soon and hopefully whoop his ass.

just wondering what your guys opinions are on this..bull**** or actually think he can win.
    red '02 wrx

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

hm, i thought those cars were more in srt territory, i know they mod easily though and can be pretty damn fast with simple bolt ons. i feel like a stock ss against a stock bugeye would be close, am i wrong?

How does bigger wheels and thinner rubber reduce wheelspin?

Last I checked, it worked the other way around...
    Family fun: 2010 BMW M3 Sedan; STOCK
    Single fun: 2012 Mustang Boss 302; STOCK
    SOLD to my Brother: 02 WRX Sedan / Short throw, K+N drop in, Helix up and down pipe, Borla Hush twin tip, Whiteline sways and endlinks, KYB GR2s, Swift springs, Cobb Stage 2
    SOLD: 05 Mustang GT Convertible / blown and tuned by Dynospeed Racing, Memphis TN

The Cobalt SS is very underrated. While the chp is rated at 205hp, the car dyno's in the 210whp area and is quite modable. As for him beating you... Well that all depends. I assume you are stock since you didn't mention mods, so here how it will likely go down:

From a dig (stop) if you can drive well, you should edge him out. If you are a typical/average driver it will be a very close race and he might beat you if he can drive and you guys go to 100mph or so. The Cobalt SS is capable of mid 14's which is right around where most wrx's are... The difference is that the Cobalt has superior topend and traps around 98/99mph which means from a roll he will own you most likely. So from a dig = close drivers race... From a roll would mean you get beat.

As for him claiming not to have wheel spin... I dont want call him a liar, but that is VERY unlikely. That car makes a lot of power and torque for FWD and him not spinning would be pretty amazing at WOT in either 1st or 2nd gear.
    Just call me Clark Kent
    ---------------------------------------
    Offical Body Guard for the Bugeye Mafia.

The car dynos at 210whp stock? geez thats pretty crazy i didnt know it was that fast.But then why does the site say its at 205hp thats just odd.The wheel spin thing got me to i dont see how it doesnt spin his tires at all, i was thinking bull**** there.

Yes my car is 100% stock, but i guess in this case he would beat me i've only had me car for about 2 months now and its my first manual car, plus im only 18, not the greatest at driving stick yet. So i guess in this case he would beat me in a race...but i still ahve to see whats gonna happen.
    Quote Originally Posted by DTR rex
    The Cobalt SS is very underrated. While the chp is rated at 205hp, the car dyno's in the 210whp area and is quite modable. As for him beating you... Well that all depends. I assume you are stock since you didn't mention mods, so here how it will likely go down:

From a dig (stop) if you can drive well, you should edge him out. If you are a typical/average driver it will be a very close race and he might beat you if he can drive and you guys go to 100mph or so. The Cobalt SS is capable of mid 14's which is right around where most wrx's are... The difference is that the Cobalt has superior topend and traps around 98/99mph which means from a roll he will own you most likely. So from a dig = close drivers race... From a roll would mean you get beat.

As for him claiming not to have wheel spin... I dont want call him a liar, but that is VERY unlikely. That car makes a lot of power and torque for FWD and him not spinning would be pretty amazing at WOT in either 1st or 2nd gear.
    red '02 wrx

Quote Originally Posted by pympstarr
    The car dynos at 210whp stock? geez thats pretty crazy i didnt know it was that fast.But then why does the site say its at 205hp thats just odd.The wheel spin thing got me to i dont see how it doesnt spin his tires at all, i was thinking bull**** there.
    Not only are the Cobalt SS Supercharged (gotta make sure you say it's the supercharged varient, as they also offer a non-supercharged SS model as well... ) underrated power-wise, but GM also offers staged upgrades you can get directly from the dealership which give it a nice bump in power. Although I haven't kept up with the SS forums, the last time I checked they were up to a stage 2 upgrade (and if I remember right it was very reasonably priced).

If it wasn't for the whole FWD thing, I would have looked pretty seriously at getting a Cobalt, especially considering I work for a dealership group that sells Chevy and I could have gotten it at the employee price.
    "The way a press launch for a new car works is, a car manufacturer flies a group of automotive journalists to a nice location, pays their expenses, wines and dines them for several days, and lets them drive the new car all over the place. Then they go home and write objective stories."

- Dave Barry

Quote Originally Posted by pympstarr

Yes my car is 100% stock, but i guess in this case he would beat me i've only had me car for about 2 months now and its my first manual car, plus im only 18, not the greatest at driving stick yet. So i guess in this case he would beat me in a race...but i still ahve to see whats gonna happen.
    Some car companies underrate their cars for a variety of reasons. To not impose on another car's territory, to keep insurance rates lower, etc.. But the Cobalt is not the first car to be so grossly underrated. LS1 Camaro's and Trans Am's were rated 305-315chp depending on the model, and yet many them dyno'd at 290-310whp. The (Neon) SRT4 was only rated at 215chp, and yet dyno'd at an amazing 220whp completely stock. With mopar upgrades form the factory they were saying it would raise hp to 250chp and yet when people dyno'd with the mods they saw 260whp.

If you are stock and you are new to manual and do not know how to drive your car well, and this guy with the SS relatively knows how to drive then you are going to lose. Get better at driving and go stage2
    Just call me Clark Kent

I have been a member of the Saturn RL forums for a long time now. I check up on all their numbers and what they are running and the cobalt SS is the same car. As for wheel spin thats one of the biggest problems with the cars, they have horrible wheel spin off the line and wheel hop. The average RL driver seems to be running in the 14.5 range as their best run but alot of them do run low 15s and upper 14s, some have run low 14s but thats very rare. The wrx def has a slight advantage in the 1/4-mile and with two perfect drivers will win every time. There are two redlines that run at my track all the time and they run consistant low 15s at 92mph, maybe not the best drivers but thats what they run and they are always there, as for the 98/99mph trap speed that is very very rare, i have seen some run 97s but the average seems to be around 95mph, they have a slightly better top end then a wrx, but from a dig the wrx is going to stay right with the redline and be slightly ahead till 100mph with equal drivers, if you start from a roll the RL/SS is going to probably edge you out everytime.
    2005 WRX (Short throw shifter, lightweight pulley,STI Splitters,Tein H-Tech springs,Up/Down Pipe, ERZ Catback, Cobb Stage 2, ASA JH8 with Yokohama ES 100s) 13.680@100.46mph

its my understanding the GM doesn't underate the power numbers they just use a different system for getting that info. something about using a different type of dyno system or something like that. i read it in car and driver a few months ago.

You guys forgot the 06 wrx being underrated!
    Mini Superman with four legs
    2006 Midnight Black Pearl WRX

Is in Love With the Admins Here 20WRX04's Avatar
    I've raced Cobalt SS's at the track last year & beat them every time(stock vs. stock). Now all they see is my tail lights(Cobb stage 2).
    The first rule of the Faction is...DO NOT TALK ABOUT THE FACTION.
    NY GIANTS
    Hybrid Faction #19
    Blobeye Syndicate #19
    Mods

Quote Originally Posted by bl0wnb0xerbabiE
    True, the new 06 creates 230 HP and 235 lbs. of torque. However, I think the original guy who started this thread has an 02 WRX. Still a great ride though!

Quote Originally Posted by bl0wnb0xerbabiE
    Yes, but not NEARLY as underrated as the Cobalt SS.

An 06' WRX is only underrated by measures of previous years of comparison. The 02-05 wrx's were rated at 227chp and yet only dyno'd about 175whp. This is a difference of ~ 50hp.... So some would say (awd drivetrain loss or not) the 02-05 wrx's were overrated. The new 06' claims 230 and dyno's anywhere from 185-195whp stock. It still makes ~ 30hp+ less to the wheels than it claims at the crank.

The cobalt actually makes more or equal hp to the wheels as it claims at the crank. Same for SRT4.
    Just call me Clark Kent

I owned a redline and took it to the track once. Got three runs in. 1st. bogged off line (scared of wheel hop) and got 15.1, 2nd. Too much gas, tons of wheel hop 15.3, 3rd. Decent launch, little bog, 14.8. All were around 95-96mph. Go from a stop and you should win, from a roll, pretty much guaranteed loss due to no turbo lag. And the cars can also be tuned fairly easily now, so keep your eyes out and only run from a dig.
    2006 WRBlue WRX
    Cobb Tuned to Stage II, Helix Catted DP, Invidia 3" Catback
    Cobb: Short Shifter, Sport Springs, Shifter Bushings, Trans Mount, Front/Rear Sway Bars
    Redline Hood Dampeners
    20% Tint

well i know the skittles can own the cobalt ss, stock v. stock.... and yeah, you can launch on him no problem, 18in wheels aren't going to help him one bit.. i have a couple friends with srt4s(skittles as we call them)..... and my buddy runs a 13.5 on his 18s, but can't hook up on a dry road on a perfect day.. its a fun car to drive, kinda.. but as soon as it hits about.. 4500 rpms, the tires spin no matter what.. even post-launch.. another thing to keep in mind.. is that Fwd may be inferior.. but they can pull on us like its nothing when we're trying to move our huge drivetrain at higher speeds.. so in a flat out 1/4 mile.. you'd probably get edged out...just race him until you run out of 3rd.. if you're just catching a light or something... then you should be running out of road wherever you're at.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.