2006 VW GTI R32 : slow and expensive - Page 5
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

This is a discussion on 2006 VW GTI R32 : slow and expensive within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally Posted by SuckTheBruce I'm glad I read this whole thread. My ladyfriend and I have been thinking about getting ...

Quote Originally Posted by SuckTheBruce
    I'm glad I read this whole thread. My ladyfriend and I have been thinking about getting her a Jetta 1.8T. Looks like we'll be reconsidering. I don't have the time and she doesn't have the money to be fixing it as often as it sounds like they need fixing.
    They are nice cars, and you buy new and have a warranty you should be fine.... But I would drop that thing like a rock once the warranty wore out. Probably better just to start with something else all together though.

Some nice alternative options to the 1.8T would be a wrx, volvo s40, mazda3.
    Just call me Clark Kent
    ---------------------------------------
    Offical Body Guard for the Bugeye Mafia.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by DTR rex
    They are nice cars, and you buy new and have a warranty you should be fine.... But I would drop that thing like a rock once the warranty wore out. Probably better just to start with something else all together though.

Some nice alternative options to the 1.8T would be a wrx, volvo s40, mazda3.
    i think i would take an s40 T5 over a 1.8T but it does also cost about $5K more.
    my R32 on CarDomain

Golf R32
    2004 SL500
    2000 M5 - SS exhaust, Xpipe, AFE Cold Air Intakes, Proj39 Angel Eyes, Carbon Fiber kidney grills, LED taillights... 111mph traps. soon, dinan ecu upgrade.

my dad just got a volvo v50 awd. it pulls hard. i think the hp is underrated it gets to 100 way easy and had a good top end. i keep telling him to mod but hes a responsible adult and has a kit car for the nice days. still, when he said it's too quiet to hear the engine revs in manumatic mode (which works pretty well actually) i told him a tbe is the answer.

Quote Originally Posted by ellinopedo182
    i think i would take an s40 T5 over a 1.8T but it does also cost about $5K more.
    Very true.

I just priced them out and the Volvo gets REALLY expensive once you start adding options. Base for the AWD version of the turbo-5 is about $29,000. That does not come with leather or anything. Add on your typical leather, moonroof, heated seats (all under premium) option and you have a price of $31,000. That is a lot of money for a car like that IMO. If you want Navi and all the other good stuff and a little S40 will run nearly $35,000

The VW on the other hand comes with leather and moonroof standard for a base price of $24,000 for the 2.0T.

I would say screw both these cars, and I would just a Saab 9-2X then.
    Just call me Clark Kent
    ---------------------------------------
    Offical Body Guard for the Bugeye Mafia.

Quote Originally Posted by DTR rex
    I just priced them out and the Volvo gets REALLY expensive once you start adding options. Base for the AWD version of the turbo-5 is about $29,000. That does not come with leather or anything. Add on your typical leather, moonroof, heated seats (all under premium) option and you have a price of $31,000. That is a lot of money for a car like that IMO. If you want Navi and all the other good stuff and a little S40 will run nearly $35,000
    seriously man, i priced out a few Volvo's and i am surprised they are still in business. every car, equally optioned, matched BMW's pricing! even a G35 is cheaper than an S40 once you include all the basics!
    embattled, we prevail...only victory exhaled.

Quote Originally Posted by AngelBoy
    seriously man, i priced out a few Volvo's and i am surprised they are still in business. every car, equally optioned, matched BMW's pricing! even a G35 is cheaper than an S40 once you include all the basics!
    i think volvo is aimed at a different target compared to bmw and infiniti drivers. i think they tried bringing their image to a more modern younger crowd with the s40, but its price is keeping the younger crowd away. id rather take a g35 over an s40 with identical options... imo.
    my R32 on CarDomain

Golf R32
    2004 SL500
    2000 M5 - SS exhaust, Xpipe, AFE Cold Air Intakes, Proj39 Angel Eyes, Carbon Fiber kidney grills, LED taillights... 111mph traps. soon, dinan ecu upgrade.

Quote Originally Posted by ellinopedo182
    i think volvo is aimed at a different target compared to bmw and infiniti drivers. i think they tried bringing their image to a more modern younger crowd with the s40, but its price is keeping the younger crowd away. id rather take a g35 over an s40 with identical options... imo.
    that's true. i guess if you live in the snowbelt, or Northeast, and still want a luxury car, Volvo makes a lot more sense.

demographically, they attract a lot of liberals, which is probably why i like them
    embattled, we prevail...only victory exhaled.

Meh, slow...
    2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX
    Works Drop in Filter, TTP Engineering 3" Downpipe, 3" Ultimate Racing Test Pipe, GReddy Evo2 exhaust, Walbro 255lph Fuel Pump, Forge UNOS MBC @ 22-23lbs, Fighters Garage LICP, Custom Dynoflash, S2000 Antenna, Stewart Warner Boost Gauge

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345