2006 VW GTI R32 : slow and expensive - Page 4
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

This is a discussion on 2006 VW GTI R32 : slow and expensive within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally Posted by wr06x I, too had heard about the reliability issues with VW/Audi. However, from what I learned and ...

Quote Originally Posted by wr06x
    I, too had heard about the reliability issues with VW/Audi. However, from what I learned and what was explained to me was that in 2001/2002 the 1.8t had been slightly modified from before that, making it much more reliable. Since this post is getting highjacked, maybe I can get back on track....... bring a new R32 to a WRX drag anyday and it would get beat. The numbers between it and the 06's are pretty much the same (if you believe that 230hp is underrated), but the VW weighs about 300 lbs more.

it would be a drivers race. They both trap the same and they both do about the same quarter mile times.
    The Ghosts of Zooph and Sarcasmo Will haunt CLUBWRX forever!!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by DTR rex
    Sorry, I tried looking online but couldn't find either of the articles. The major car mag sites like car and driver, motor trend, automobile mag, road and track only allow limited access to past articles.

I have the mag in my stack, but the stack is in a closet and contains about 150 mags and I don't want to search through them all to find the article.

Regardless, you dont have to believe me, but I know for a fact that the mag claimed the R32 is being the superior handler of the trio (R32, STI, EVO). Because of its weight and lack of power it was no match on an actual road course, but overall handling was better in the R32.
    are u thinking of the test vwvrotex did? they ran an evo, sti and r32 (all cars were blue, kinda cool) and tested them like a real mag. it might be in there i read it so long ago.

I Support ClubWRX
    Once again why is the R32/WRX even being compared for performance? The R32 is not in the mid 25's league, but rather in the 30's. Thus putting it up against the STI which isnt a race as everyone will agree. And if you want a refined interior, put it up against a LTD STI or even a LGT/Spec-B. The wrx competes on a somewhat small scale with the GTI and that's about it.
    0-60 faster then your first sexual experience.
    "You've come far, and though you're far from the end
    You don't mind where you are, cause you know where you've been"

Fair Lawn NJ, Brooklyn NY, Odessa Ukraine
    Quote Originally Posted by DTR rex
    Regardless, you dont have to believe me, but I know for a fact that the mag claimed the R32 is being the superior handler of the trio (R32, STI, EVO). Because of its weight and lack of power it was no match on an actual road course, but overall handling was better in the R32.
    Nope not true, it beats them in interior and ride quality, but not on handling...

Quote Originally Posted by nofear6235
    Nope not true, it beats them in interior and ride quality, but not on handling...

they didn't say it had better times around a course because of the power of evo and sti. They just said it felt like it handled better but of course couldn't get better times because of the low power. Thats what donnie meant and thats what the magazine said.
    The Ghosts of Zooph and Sarcasmo Will haunt CLUBWRX forever!!!

I Support ClubWRX
    My $0.02?

Back in early 2004 the R32 was the car I lusted after. After exhaustive research and test drives see what I now drive?
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

i wouldnt mind having the HPA tuned r32 from the last model. mmmm like 4 or 500 hp?? wowzers. ill look for the vid of it doint the awd burnout. that would be anice, sick, fast car. the interiors are sweet too. and the seats are mmmm, but maybe tight if youre not a little guy.

500hp on sports car revolution. 0-60 in 3.2, 11.4 in 1/4 damn.
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=OfkgP6l9gJQ

700+hp
    http://videos.streetfire.net/search/...0d2b38d591.htm
    Last edited by ScstealthVR6; 09-30-2006 at 12:19 AM.

reliability issues are typical for most VW's/ Audi's cuz they are not built in germany... and its true they tend to take a **** when the warranty is gone. special cars like the R32 are german built, so no worries there on reliability.

slow? a mid - low 14 second car is slow? maybe if it were a torqueless wonder, you can say it feels slow... but the R32 has a V6 and torque, so its pretty nice to drive around town... and these things are actually designed to go at high speeds so you wont get blown away at 60mph like in a WRX with the windows down.

i could care less about having a manual... i can understand why some women like manuals, but for a guy to like grabbing a stick other than his own is just wrong. if it results in faster times or gets better gas mileage, its acceptable... but the DSG allows you to go faster and get better gas mileage over the manual, so whats your excuse?

its a more grown up car... much more refined than any Subaru, in my opinion. i was actually considering an Audi A3, cuz the R32 wasnt out yet, for a nice fun daily driver w/ big potential when i get bored. few cars in the US actually have this much performance potential... let alone performance potential without sacrificing the civility of the car.

The previous HPA R32 was TUV rated at 215 MPH and runs an amazing 1/4 mile time in the 11 second range or less. the car is still smog legal, still idles smoothly, still quiet, still every bit as civil as it was from the factory... but it all comes at a price tag.

If you want a cheap fast car... get a civic. Why would you choose a WRX or STi over a civic? For $20k you can have quite a fast civic, yet you choose to get a WRX instead? WHY??? Probably the same reason why people would choose a R32 over a Subaru.

Quote Originally Posted by SonicYellowWRX
    i could care less about having a manual... i can understand why some women like manuals, but for a guy to like grabbing a stick other than his own is just wrong.

ok...homophobic much? i like shifitng, its fun. ive always wondered if i could ge t aferrari if id get the f1 shifters or a manual. Tiff Needell said if he could have a car (in an old top gear episode) hed get a ferrari 360, manual, red. i feel more connected and its more challenging to double clutch and match rev myself instead of having a computer do it all for me. and as for a guy liking to grap "a stick" besides his own being wrong, i hope that was sarcasm cuz thats just weird logic. its not like after you move the gear shift from 1st to 2nd and back and forth it spits oil and u and the car smokes a cigarette.

Quote Originally Posted by ScstealthVR6
    ok...homophobic much? i like shifitng, its fun. ive always wondered if i could ge t aferrari if id get the f1 shifters or a manual. Tiff Needell said if he could have a car (in an old top gear episode) hed get a ferrari 360, manual, red. i feel more connected and its more challenging to double clutch and match rev myself instead of having a computer do it all for me. and as for a guy liking to grap "a stick" besides his own being wrong, i hope that was sarcasm cuz thats just weird logic. its not like after you move the gear shift from 1st to 2nd and back and forth it spits oil and u and the car smokes a cigarette.

I've wondered what it would be like to drive a paddle shifter. On one hand you have the connected feeling of a manual, but an F1 transmision is better for performance. I don't know it'd be tough. I mean the fund part if shifting gears not clutching so I don't know.
    FORZA FERRARI
    BLOBEYE SYNDICATE (retired) #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Integra96 View Post
    One day I hope to buy a car that is lubricated exclusively by pure manatee oil.

I had the chance to drive an F430 with the paddle shift. Overall, it was pretty trick. The combination of speed and the "intellect" with which it chooses the right gear for you are cool. However, when just driving around normally, it shifts pretty roughly, much rougher than me with a manual trans. I still have not found a paddle shift that would make me want to switch out my MT.
    Originally posted by BlkWrxWag:
    You will not have these performance issues if you stick to racing in school zones. The WRX ECU is specially tuned to recognize these areas and increase boost accordingly.

The R32 is a much more impressive car that what you read in the forums and from first impressions. Firstly, the R32 is not a mid 14 second car, it can actually be ran as a high 13 second car stock. There are less than 5000 out there in the states, and even fewer that actually race them and take them to the tracks. The ones that do have managed to hit 13.8 for quarter mile at 100mph. with a chip and free exhaust mod, and intake... they have managed to run 13.2's at 101-102. There is also a guy that has free exhaust mod, chip, intake, pulleys, and rear seats taken out (80 pounds or so) and managed to get a 12.8 @105mph. I think that is very impressive for a 'slow' car that many have made the R32 to be. Other than that, you get probably the best sounds exhaust on a stock car out there, especially that of a V6. I also got stock koenig leather racing seats, AWD, 18 inch rims with summer times, a good system, heated seats, sunroof and a lot of other stuff. And, btw, i got it brand new with 60miles on it for $28,000 out the door. A stage two WRX pre-06's will run the same traps as a stock R32 does, but probably gets a better launch because WRX's have an all time awd system compared to the R32's fwd biased awd system.

Peter
    my R32 on CarDomain

Golf R32
    2004 SL500
    2000 M5 - SS exhaust, Xpipe, AFE Cold Air Intakes, Proj39 Angel Eyes, Carbon Fiber kidney grills, LED taillights... 111mph traps. soon, dinan ecu upgrade.

Quote Originally Posted by ellinopedo182
    The R32 is a much more impressive car that what you read in the forums and from first impressions. Firstly, the R32 is not a mid 14 second car, it can actually be ran as a high 13 second car stock. There are less than 5000 out there in the states, and even fewer that actually race them and take them to the tracks. The ones that do have managed to hit 13.8 for quarter mile at 100mph. with a chip and free exhaust mod, and intake... they have managed to run 13.2's at 101-102. There is also a guy that has free exhaust mod, chip, intake, pulleys, and rear seats taken out (80 pounds or so) and managed to get a 12.8 @105mph. I think that is very impressive for a 'slow' car that many have made the R32 to be. Other than that, you get probably the best sounds exhaust on a stock car out there, especially that of a V6. I also got stock koenig leather racing seats, AWD, 18 inch rims with summer times, a good system, heated seats, sunroof and a lot of other stuff. And, btw, i got it brand new with 60miles on it for $28,000 out the door. A stage two WRX pre-06's will run the same traps as a stock R32 does, but probably gets a better launch because WRX's have an all time awd system compared to the R32's fwd biased awd system.

Peter

Good post.
    Just call me Clark Kent
    ---------------------------------------
    Offical Body Guard for the Bugeye Mafia.

I'm glad I read this whole thread. My ladyfriend and I have been thinking about getting her a Jetta 1.8T. Looks like we'll be reconsidering. I don't have the time and she doesn't have the money to be fixing it as often as it sounds like they need fixing.
    I drive a WRX and work for Harley-Davidson .

Blobeye Syndicate #42
    GO CUBBIES!!!
    '05 CGM WRX

Quote Originally Posted by powder View Post
    I love chowder. Cuz it rhymes with powder.

Quote Originally Posted by ellinopedo182

Peter
    nicely put
    You see a lot of smart guys with dumb women, but you hardly ever see a smart woman with a dumb guy.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast