2006 VW GTI R32 : slow and expensive - Page 3
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 68

This is a discussion on 2006 VW GTI R32 : slow and expensive within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Girlfriends Jetta = electrical problems and the doors dont always unlock Friends Jetta GLI = 9,000mi over 12months and his ...

  1. #31
    Registered User D0WNxSH1FT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Westchester Cnty, NY
    Posts
    6,545
    Girlfriends Jetta = electrical problems and the doors dont always unlock
    Friends Jetta GLI = 9,000mi over 12months and his clutch/flywheel went (still dont know how thats possible)
    Dad's Audi A6 = busted fuel gauge caused the car to not tell us it was low, died on the road. Law suit is either pending or completed against Audi for that (not by us tho), front bumper got ripped off 3 times b/c of a design flaw that if u parked over a curb it would get hooked ($800 to replace each time...all A6's after 2000 were redesigned).
    2008 Satin White Pearl WRX Sedan w/ Navi
    2005 San Remo Red WRX Sedan w/ VF34 (traded)
    Pi Kappa Alpha | New England Flat 4

  2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements
     

  3. #32
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    11,098
    I Support ClubWRX
    I agree for the price no one should be comparing it to the wrx. 3x,xxx puts it in STI league which is what the car doesnt want to tango with. I've been saying that since the car came out years ago. They will preach how it can run with a wrx, but they dont equate the price. Let the WRX make up the price difference with stg2 tires and sways and it's a no contest.

    The R32 has a great exhaust tone but that's it. I dont hate on the DSG but I do hate on VW. People seem to have endless headaches or they drive fine. I've ran across more people that hate them then love them. They NEED their maitance done or they are awful.

    The 1.8t is problay one of the most problematic broke down motors I've ever ran across once they hit 70-80k (base on personal opionons not facts).
    0-60 faster then your first sexual experience.
    "You've come far, and though you're far from the end
    You don't mind where you are, cause you know where you've been"

  4. #33
    Registered User ElBartoRex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Chester Co. PA
    Posts
    1,348
    Quote Originally Posted by 302@12psi
    I agree for the price no one should be comparing it to the wrx. 3x,xxx puts it in STI league which is what the car doesnt want to tango with. I've been saying that since the car came out years ago. They will preach how it can run with a wrx, but they dont equate the price. Let the WRX make up the price difference with stg2 tires and sways and it's a no contest.

    The R32 has a great exhaust tone but that's it. I dont hate on the DSG but I do hate on VW. People seem to have endless headaches or they drive fine. I've ran across more people that hate them then love them. They NEED their maitance done or they are awful.

    The 1.8t is problay one of the most problematic broke down motors I've ever ran across once they hit 70-80k (base on personal opionons not facts).
    yeah but a stock WRX plus stage 2, tires and sways is still WAY cheaper than the R32 MSRP. 06 WRX and cobb stage 3 vf39 and tires/sways and its still under.
    Current: 05 Mini Cooper S R53
    Former: 06 Acura RSX Type-S
    Former: 00 Integra GSR
    Former: 07 Mazdaspeed3
    Former: 04 WRX Stage 2+
    www.jscspeed.com

  5. #34
    Registered User Griswold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Salem, MA
    Posts
    269
    Quote Originally Posted by 302@12psi
    The 1.8t is problay one of the most problematic broke down motors I've ever ran across once they hit 70-80k (base on personal opionons not facts).
    Realizing your quote is opinion and merely raising a counterpoint, the 1.8t isn't a bad motor. It'll run forever if you pay attention to it. There was a guy on Audiworld who'd had a turbo swap and a lot of track time on the car for 225k miles. He basically changed the oil and rebuilt the turbo once. That and doing about 4 timing belts. Grrrr.

    Its the surrounding electronics / electrical bits, i.e. coilpacks, etc that'll drive you nuts. And the occasional vacuum leak.

    The damned things also need timing belts done every 60k miles even though the factory and dealers swear that 105k is a fine interval. They're crazy.

    With my particular situation, figuratively speaking, the car started to disintegrate around the motor...granted I had some issues with the motor, but they were comparitively minor.

  6. #35
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    11,098
    I Support ClubWRX
    I know a guy who lost his 1.8t motor right before warranty was up. It took them forever to source a motor but it was fixed under warranty. From there I spoke with a guy who lives, dreams, a die VW (has his own shop) and he basically said the same thing. Oil changes NEED to be done on time along with timing belts or they will break. Now that is a 2 way street sure you should maintain your car to that point but it's common knowledge that we (generalizing here americans) do not do this. Thus putting your name on a car that needs that special attention to the general public...well isnt smart.


    I'm sure people who maintains there vw's will run forever. But this place prides them self on 150-200k miles cars that "I just change the oil in it every so often and it runs like a champ".
    0-60 faster then your first sexual experience.
    "You've come far, and though you're far from the end
    You don't mind where you are, cause you know where you've been"

  7. #36
    Registered User Griswold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Salem, MA
    Posts
    269
    Quote Originally Posted by 302@12psi
    I know a guy who lost his 1.8t motor right before warranty was up. It took them forever to source a motor but it was fixed under warranty. From there I spoke with a guy who lives, dreams, a die VW (has his own shop) and he basically said the same thing. Oil changes NEED to be done on time along with timing belts or they will break. Now that is a 2 way street sure you should maintain your car to that point but it's common knowledge that we (generalizing here americans) do not do this. Thus putting your name on a car that needs that special attention to the general public...well isnt smart.


    I'm sure people who maintains there vw's will run forever. But this place prides them self on 150-200k miles cars that "I just change the oil in it every so often and it runs like a champ".
    Agree 100%

  8. #37
    Registered User AwdTurboWrx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Sun Valley,CA
    Posts
    5,790
    Quote Originally Posted by ElBartoRex
    yeah but a stock WRX plus stage 2, tires and sways is still WAY cheaper than the R32 MSRP. 06 WRX and cobb stage 3 vf39 and tires/sways and its still under.

    a hatchback civic with a swap+ big turbo is cheaper then a sti/evo/vette/ferrari and most of the time faster. Lets go buy a few of those!! The R32 doesnt really compete with the wrx. The gti competes with wrx. R32 has its older market. It doesnt need to be faster or handle better. (even tho it is faster then wrx's) The car sold just fine last time it was out, you couldn't find any in dealership. I know because my cousin worked at a vw dealer at the time.
    The Ghosts of Zooph and Sarcasmo Will haunt CLUBWRX forever!!!

  9. #38
    Registered User $lick Rick's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    eugene
    Posts
    766
    Quote Originally Posted by AwdTurboWrx
    a hatchback civic with a swap+ big turbo is cheaper then a sti/evo/vette/ferrari and most of the time faster.

    you dont always need a swap
    there's a guy just north of me running mid 12's in his SOHC 1.6l turbo civic

  10. #39
    Registered User D0WNxSH1FT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Westchester Cnty, NY
    Posts
    6,545
    Yea the R32 is designed for the 25-30 year old guy who works a 40 hour week in a suit, parks next to the boss, and then wants to have some fun on the highway. It is a lot more discrete than the WRX, Evo, STi, or a 350Z, S2000, Mustang.
    2008 Satin White Pearl WRX Sedan w/ Navi
    2005 San Remo Red WRX Sedan w/ VF34 (traded)
    Pi Kappa Alpha | New England Flat 4

  11. #40
    Registered User AwdTurboWrx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Sun Valley,CA
    Posts
    5,790
    Quote Originally Posted by $lick Rick
    you dont always need a swap
    there's a guy just north of me running mid 12's in his SOHC 1.6l turbo civic

    yeah but my point was you can make them extremely quick and faster then almost anything on the market and its cheap 2.
    The Ghosts of Zooph and Sarcasmo Will haunt CLUBWRX forever!!!

  12. #41
    Registered User ElBartoRex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Chester Co. PA
    Posts
    1,348
    Quote Originally Posted by AwdTurboWrx
    a hatchback civic with a swap+ big turbo is cheaper then a sti/evo/vette/ferrari and most of the time faster. Lets go buy a few of those!! The R32 doesnt really compete with the wrx. The gti competes with wrx. R32 has its older market. It doesnt need to be faster or handle better. (even tho it is faster then wrx's) The car sold just fine last time it was out, you couldn't find any in dealership. I know because my cousin worked at a vw dealer at the time.
    true-- good point.

    however, the selling numbers arent any idea of how popular they are, the R32 is a limited production model, I the US is only getting 5000 for 06. Obviously a limited production car is gonna sell better because they are 'rarer' and 'hard to find'--- the same reason why subaru will easily sell out of Limited STis this year. All the die hard gotta have it people will go snatch them up for MSRP. Now--- release the R32 as a full production model, produce 150,000 of them and I bet my life they wont sell as well.
    Current: 05 Mini Cooper S R53
    Former: 06 Acura RSX Type-S
    Former: 00 Integra GSR
    Former: 07 Mazdaspeed3
    Former: 04 WRX Stage 2+
    www.jscspeed.com

  13. #42
    Registered User DTR rex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Chi-town, IL
    Posts
    27,076
    Quote Originally Posted by AwdTurboWrx
    a hatchback civic with a swap+ big turbo is cheaper then a sti/evo/vette/ferrari and most of the time faster. Lets go buy a few of those!! The R32 doesnt really compete with the wrx. The gti competes with wrx. R32 has its older market. It doesnt need to be faster or handle better. (even tho it is faster then wrx's) The car sold just fine last time it was out, you couldn't find any in dealership. I know because my cousin worked at a vw dealer at the time.
    once again, I agree.
    Just call me Clark Kent
    ---------------------------------------
    Offical Body Guard for the Bugeye Mafia.

  14. #43
    Registered User AwdTurboWrx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Sun Valley,CA
    Posts
    5,790
    Quote Originally Posted by ElBartoRex
    true-- good point.

    however, the selling numbers arent any idea of how popular they are, the R32 is a limited production model, I the US is only getting 5000 for 06. Obviously a limited production car is gonna sell better because they are 'rarer' and 'hard to find'--- the same reason why subaru will easily sell out of Limited STis this year. All the die hard gotta have it people will go snatch them up for MSRP. Now--- release the R32 as a full production model, produce 150,000 of them and I bet my life they wont sell as well.
    it wouldn't make sense as a regular production vehicle. It is what it is.
    The Ghosts of Zooph and Sarcasmo Will haunt CLUBWRX forever!!!

  15. #44
    Registered User DTR rex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Chi-town, IL
    Posts
    27,076
    Quote Originally Posted by D0WNxSH1FT
    Beat the Evo in a handling competition? Im gonna need a scan of that article.
    Sorry, I tried looking online but couldn't find either of the articles. The major car mag sites like car and driver, motor trend, automobile mag, road and track only allow limited access to past articles.

    I have the mag in my stack, but the stack is in a closet and contains about 150 mags and I don't want to search through them all to find the article.

    Regardless, you dont have to believe me, but I know for a fact that the mag claimed the R32 is being the superior handler of the trio (R32, STI, EVO). Because of its weight and lack of power it was no match on an actual road course, but overall handling was better in the R32.
    Just call me Clark Kent
    ---------------------------------------
    Offical Body Guard for the Bugeye Mafia.

  16. #45
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Knoxville
    Posts
    100
    I, too had heard about the reliability issues with VW/Audi. However, from what I learned and what was explained to me was that in 2001/2002 the 1.8t had been slightly modified from before that, making it much more reliable. Since this post is getting highjacked, maybe I can get back on track....... bring a new R32 to a WRX drag anyday and it would get beat. The numbers between it and the 06's are pretty much the same (if you believe that 230hp is underrated), but the VW weighs about 300 lbs more.
    Originally posted by BlkWrxWag:
    You will not have these performance issues if you stick to racing in school zones. The WRX ECU is specially tuned to recognize these areas and increase boost accordingly.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •