2006 VW GTI R32 : slow and expensive - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

This is a discussion on 2006 VW GTI R32 : slow and expensive within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Not a good way to spend k, IMO. If I wanted a VW with good value, I'd get a bare-bones ...

I Support ClubWRX
    Not a good way to spend $32k, IMO. If I wanted a VW with good value, I'd get a bare-bones GTI 2.0 and throw a few cheap mods on it and have a pretty fast and very comfortable ride.
    "Did you sleep well?"
    "No, I made a couple of mistakes."
    -- Steven Wright

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by juanes287
    it is a VW
    +1 Agree
    2004 WRX Sti Cobb Stage 2
    GO COUGS!!!

Registered User CyberneticEmcee's Avatar

hate it

It looks like a sunflower seed on wheels. Unlike sunflower seeds, R32 aren't tasty, they are so fugly. One of my co-workers bought one. 4 the first couple of months he kept trying to park by me. I finally confronted him because I was tired of moving my car on lunch break. I told him to keep that ugly thing away from my car. Subaru is nowhere near affiliated with VW. He was like yeah but the R32 is faster and has better tuning. I was like that ugly car. A guy driving that car is like a guy pulling a tampon out, it just doesn't look rite. Just my opinion. Now the older fat pig versions looked better. I liked those, only the looks. I'd never by a vw.
    Catch me in Chicago playin Biggie. The greatest emcee ever

Vdubs in the house from what I hear have horrible customer service and reliabilty.

Quote Originally Posted by CyberneticEmcee
    It looks like a sunflower seed on wheels. Unlike sunflower seeds, R32 aren't tasty, they are so fugly. One of my co-workers bought one. 4 the first couple of months he kept trying to park by me. I finally confronted him because I was tired of moving my car on lunch break. I told him to keep that ugly thing away from my car. Subaru is nowhere near affiliated with VW. He was like yeah but the R32 is faster and has better tuning. I was like that ugly car. A guy driving that car is like a guy pulling a tampon out, it just doesn't look rite. Just my opinion. Now the older fat pig versions looked better. I liked those, only the looks. I'd never by a vw.
    So you got pissed because he parked next to you?

Probably better he probably wouldn't ding you.
    FORZA FERRARI
    BLOBEYE SYNDICATE (retired) #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Integra96 View Post
    One day I hope to buy a car that is lubricated exclusively by pure manatee oil.

Quote Originally Posted by AwdTurboWrx
    they cant drive, the old r32 also had bad 1/4 mile times but people got into high 13's stock. This one is gonna be the same. Edmunds also got a 14.1 1/4 mile with a sti, that must make it a pos. Oh and the old r32 were not competition for wrx's. Not a stock one atleast. They would walk over a wrx off a roll and a good driver off a launch too. Wrx with a few mods would probably be faster. I'd say the old r32 were at par with the 0 wrx's.
    +1.

You cannot go off of just 1 time. The last R32 saw some mag times as high as mid 14's (I remember a 14.5 once) but most well driven ones were getting very high 13's at the track and trapping 100mph. Probably the same here. I still think it should be more powerful to compete at that price range, but the R32 is about more than just power. If anyone remembers, the R32 beat out both the Evo and STi in handling contest for two major mags, and it does so with a MUCH MUCH nicer interior, as well as braking better with the rear room of a hatch.

Maybe to some of you it may not seem worth it, but to other it was. A friend of mine was looking between STi and R32. He drove both and the STi was obviously faster. But in the end, the ride quality, interior, handling, exhaust note, and style of the R32 was superior.. and he bought the R32.

I like the car. Sure it lacks power, but it can justify the price in other ways. I know people that get mid 13's out of the car with just intake and ecu reflash though, so I think VW should just sell the car from the factory with that reflashed ECU map already programmed as the stock map.
    Just call me Clark Kent
    ---------------------------------------
    Offical Body Guard for the Bugeye Mafia.

Beat the Evo in a handling competition? Im gonna need a scan of that article.

I wouldnt say its interior is that nice. Ive never been a fan. My friend has a 04 Jetta GLI and it has the same interior, same monsoon stereo, same brushed aluminum trim. It looks nice, but not that great. Now Infiniti, Porsche and Audi make some beautiful interiors (roar! yes i know Porsche owns VW & Audi).

VW interiors are just black plastic molded and they ALL look the same (minus the Passat and Touareg).

I worked at a Audi/VW as a swap driver, I've spent enough time in them to not be impressed by the VW interiors.
    2008 Satin White Pearl WRX Sedan w/ Navi
    2005 San Remo Red WRX Sedan w/ VF34 (traded)
    Pi Kappa Alpha | New England Flat 4

Quote Originally Posted by D0WNxSH1FT

Now Infiniti, Porsche and Audi make some beautiful interiors (roar! yes i know Porsche owns VW & Audi).
    Maybe I misinterpretted this, but VW owns Audi and Porsche is entirely seperate although they occasionally collaborate on things like the Toureg / Cayenne, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Griswold
    Maybe I misinterpretted this, but VW owns Audi and Porsche is entirely seperate although they occasionally collaborate on things like the Toureg / Cayenne, etc.
    Porsche in the past 6 months purchased a large stake in VW. They are the majority stake holder and are in the process of buying more.

VW owns...
    • Audi ...who owns Lamborghini
    • Seat
    • Skoda
    • Bugatti

Porsche in the past 6 months purchased a large stake in VW. They are the majority stake holder and are in the process of buying more.

VW owns...
    • Audi ...who owns Lamborghini
    • Seat
    • Skoda
    • Bugatti
    WOW!! I knew the other stuff, but the Porsche bit sneaked past me. That's cool.

Doesn't VW also own Bentley?

WOW!! I knew the other stuff, but the Porsche bit sneaked past me. That's cool.

Doesn't VW also own Bentley?
    VW used to own Bentley but in 2003 I believe had to hand it over the BMW.

EDIT: Bentley is VW, i meant Rolls Royce is now BMW!
    Last edited by D0WNxSH1FT; 09-28-2006 at 08:07 AM.

I Support ClubWRX
    VW used to own Bentley but in 2003 I believe had to hand it over the BMW.

All Bentley's are now powered by BMW engines.
    But, for whatever reason, Bently owners don't put stickers on their windshields that say "Powered by BMW".
    "Did you sleep well?"
    "No, I made a couple of mistakes."
    -- Steven Wright

Quote Originally Posted by Integra96
    But, for whatever reason, Bently owners don't put stickers on their windshields that say "Powered by BMW".
    EDIT: Bentley is VW, i meant Rolls Royce is now BMW!

All Rolls Royce are now powered by BMW engines b/c Rolls lost the rights to manufacture engines to Rolls Royce Marine/Aeronautical who has the legal rights to the name.

For every one car thats good, it seems as if there's one thats horrible. My A4 1.8T was a great car, but a pile of crap reliability wise. I put $2500 in repairs between 50,000 and 70,000 miles and had another $3000 staring me in the face when I dumped it.

Unbelievably problematic car.
    Yep. Had a 2000 Passat w/ the 1.8Turbo motor. 'LOVED the way it drove. However, it made it through the 36K miles of warranty coverage and then begin to systematically eat any and all available cash and credit as we tried to keep it on the road. It had electical gremlins that would do everything from make the CD player act up to ignition problems. The 'learning' tiptronic transmission would get unhappy every couple of months and decide that it could not figure out which gear to use when you were accellerating hard. You'd be on an interstate on ramp trying to get up to speed for a merge into traffic and the damn thing would start bucking so hard I thought it would destroy itself. VW had it several times for that problem and they never found a reason for it. The best they could do was to show me the dance you do to reset the transmission computer to default settings. You know... turn the ignition on but don't start the engine, open the drivers door, put the tranmission in neutral, hold your tongue in your left cheek, cross your legs, and with your left foot press the gas 3 times quickly within 5 seconds..... the entire dash would blink 3 times and you were back to default settings on the tranny. It would behave for about a month. Finally, the anti-lock brakes started making funny noises and we quickly traded it in on a 2004 Saturn Vue V6 with the Honda power train. That has been a very good buy. Careful running those guys. That Honda motor puts out 250 HP and the tranny does a pretty good job of putting it on the ground. And, the Vue is not that heavy. Pretty quick for a plastic grocery getter/boat tower.

Further, I know of four people that own late model Passats or Golf/GTIs that have had major issues. I really like the way the VWs drive and seriously thought about a GTI when I bought the 06 WRX Wagon, but, I could not get past my own experience with the VW reliability issues.

Quote Originally Posted by goBoating
    Yep. Had a 2000 Passat w/ the 1.8Turbo motor. 'LOVED the way it drove. However, it made it through the 36K miles of warranty coverage and then begin to systematically eat any and all available cash and credit as we tried to keep it on the road. It had electical gremlins that would do everything from make the CD player act up to ignition problems. The 'learning' tiptronic transmission would get unhappy every couple of months and decide that it could not figure out which gear to use when you were accellerating hard. You'd be on an interstate on ramp trying to get up to speed for a merge into traffic and the damn thing would start bucking so hard I thought it would destroy itself. VW had it several times for that problem and they never found a reason for it. The best they could do was to show me the dance you do to reset the transmission computer to default settings. You know... turn the ignition on but don't start the engine, open the drivers door, put the tranmission in neutral, hold your tongue in your left cheek, cross your legs, and with your left foot press the gas 3 times quickly within 5 seconds..... the entire dash would blink 3 times and you were back to default settings on the tranny. It would behave for about a month. Finally, the anti-lock brakes started making funny noises and we quickly traded it in on a 2004 Saturn Vue V6 with the Honda power train. That has been a very good buy. Careful running those guys. That Honda motor puts out 250 HP and the tranny does a pretty good job of putting it on the ground. And, the Vue is not that heavy. Pretty quick for a plastic grocery getter/boat tower.

Further, I know of four people that own late model Passats or Golf/GTIs that have had major issues. I really like the way the VWs drive and seriously thought about a GTI when I bought the 06 WRX Wagon, but, I could not get past my own experience with the VW reliability issues.
    Yeah, my Audi threw the timing belt tensioner at 35k miles, forced me to replace 6 of the 8 front control arms before 40k miles, had a vac leak that 2 dealers could not find which resulted in a constant CEL, cruise control died, sunroof leaked, 2 door speakers died, ignition control amplifier died causing misfires on cylinder 2, etc, etc, etc.

Most of the after warranty fixes I did myself, but the parts are hugely expensive. It practically put me into convulsive shock.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.