Too soon, Junior
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Too soon, Junior within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Anyone opposed to assumptions and a little bench racing should refrain from reading the following. A guy at my school ...

Too soon, Junior

Anyone opposed to assumptions and a little bench racing should refrain from reading the following.

A guy at my school has a 2001 BMW 323i with a borla catback exhaust, k&n intake, and a ecu chip of unknown origin (at least to me). Of course I can beat that, but my question is that he is about to buy a zex dry nitrous oxide kit that is advertized to add "55-75" horsepower and underdrive pulleys. Without the exhaust he dynoed at approx. 200 at the crank. What do you all think would be the outcome? Is even bothering to ask this an underestimation of the boxer? btw- 06 wrx spt catback
    Last edited by wr06x; 09-27-2006 at 03:49 PM.
    Originally posted by BlkWrxWag:
    You will not have these performance issues if you stick to racing in school zones. The WRX ECU is specially tuned to recognize these areas and increase boost accordingly.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by wr06x
    Anyone opposed to assumptions and a little bench racing should refrain from reading the following.

A guy at my school has a 2001 BMW 323i with a borla catback exhaust, k&n intake, and a ecu chip of unknown origin (at least to me). Of course I can beat that, but my question is that he is about to buy a zex dry nitrous oxide kit that is advertized to add "55-75" horsepower and underdrive pulleys. Without the exhaust he dynoed at approx. 200 at the crank. What do you all think would be the outcome? Is even bothering to ask this an underestimation of the boxer? btw- 06 wrx spt catback
    hmm, 30hp increase with just a catback and a chip + intake, from a bmw? i dont believe it.
    my R32 on CarDomain

Golf R32
    2004 SL500
    2000 M5 - SS exhaust, Xpipe, AFE Cold Air Intakes, Proj39 Angel Eyes, Carbon Fiber kidney grills, LED taillights... 111mph traps. soon, dinan ecu upgrade.

well, is there still anything to worry about with the added upgrades? He doesn't believe me when I say that I'd probably take him.... maybe I could put some money on this.....
    You will not have these performance issues if you stick to racing in school zones. The WRX ECU is specially tuned to recognize these areas and increase boost accordingly.

First question, how did he dyno at the crank?

Second, I would agree to race him 10 times with him on the bottle. After the 3rd-4th race when he's broke down you win the rest. Actually if he's a decent guy, if I were you I would recommend he research his nitrous info a little more. Coming from the BMW world with my last car I think most tuner and people in the know recommend wet nitrous kits only. I think the dry kits were bad news on BMW's and I don't remeber too many people recommending Zex kits.

+1 on him screwing himself on running a dry ZEX kit on the bimmer.

As for the race, even with the kit, you should still take him. I think 30hp on a 323 from intake, exhaust and ecu is not accurate and on the bottle he might be pushing high 14's or so which you can obviously take.
    Just call me Clark Kent
    ---------------------------------------
    Offical Body Guard for the Bugeye Mafia.

Well, thanks for the support guys. I guess I was blinded by the NOS and movies like F&F. Hopefully this weekend, I can send him back to reality.... Then I might tell him that dry w/ beemmer = bad news. By the way, he had it dynoed at LNS motorsports here in K-town, but he didn't mention any whp numbers, just the "corrected number" from the flywheel. And I agree, a 40 hp increase on a NA car is hard, probably impossible, to do on 1500 bucks worth of mods.
    Last edited by wr06x; 09-28-2006 at 03:48 PM.

His current number of 200 HP at the crank may not be that far off. I had the same 2.5 engine in my last BMW, except a Z3 so a little lighter than the 3 series. Most people in the BMW circle think those engines were slightly underated from BMW so if they made a little more HP than advertised and another 10 HP from the mods that's about right. I had the same mods(minus the NOS of course) and I think that car would have taken my 05 WRX(stock) from a roll. It ran much stronger than expected.

WIth that all said, even with the NOS you should take him from a dig. Is his car even 5 spd, you didn't mention.

Ya, he has the manual transmission. So that's five right (surely it didn't come with six)? But you ran against an 05, I think the 06 would be a totally different story. I knew I would take him from a dig, cuz If i get about 2.5 cars on him from start, he isn't going to play catch up, and then have some left for a walk.... it's just the roll from 60 I worried about.

now i'm not the most experienced on this forum.. but on german cars especially.. chips can make a huge difference, intake and exhaust on a naturally aspirated motor are really not that great except for smoothing out your torque curve and making your powerband wake up a little but.. probably not more than 22hp.. @ the crank... and i've seen some of those bmws pull on cars that had no idea what hit them.... i'd be cautious.. and race him for money, but see if you can borrow a manual boost controller and bump up a couple psi... i've done it to race mustangs and such.. no problems.. just be careful, and run it no more than once or twice like that.. you'll be rich enough not to break a sweat.... or just don't, and own him anyways..

just buy some EM. an MBC is cheaper, but wrx's dont like them and used to go BOOM>

yeah, what's safe with one of those.. i had this crazy ******* tell me that i could run 18psi all day long with an mbc.. i was like.. yeah.. if wanna run 16:1 afr and melt my pistons...

Japan FTW! Well, even without a mbc or any cobb em of any sort, he got walked by at least 2 cars. I am not sure if it affected him, it may have even helped him out, but he set the kit so that it didn't engage in 1st gear. W/e...even spending 2.5k in mods hasn't made him that fast....

323, you're kidding, right? You will destroy a 323 with ease, even with those (very minor) mods. I've easily beaten 325's (stock wrx), 328's are a little bit more even (kinda). BMWs are overrated..

First off I don't think you can get dyno'd and not have accurate #'s. Sounds to me like he is fibbing his actual HP to you. When you get a dyno you get whp...thats it. You can only speculate at that point what crank would be.. Not sure why anyone would care unless they're trying to sound like they have more than they do...

Anyways...

You shouldnt have any problems 0-60 unless he's using the bottle then it would be close...to a stock WRX.

2WD, Heavier car. I think you're all good.

Ask him for some whp #'s

oh, and you can get dyno'd and have inaccurate #'s.. some shops like to give you a high number, and if its lower than you expected, they'll mess with the altitude and pressures that you were supposedly tested at, as well as any other variable, i've messed with an inertia dyno's numbers and got like.. 45 hp more than came out of it.. just to see how that works... and there's different kinds of dynos which yield different numbers.. inertia dynos are a safer bet than most, because they're just measuring a 550lb drum's acceleration.. the only part i've heard of, that fails on them.. is the bearing that the drum spins on.. but the other ones that represent load by using a braking surface to oppose the spinning, wear down and numbers change over time..

be weary of ppl's #'s from time to time.. if they seem overblown, they very well could be
    03 WRX - daily driver
    91 teg - needs a trans, the current one is soup.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.