04 STI vs Gallardo, 03 ZO6 Vette and '93 RX7
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on 04 STI vs Gallardo, 03 ZO6 Vette and '93 RX7 within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Did a GTech Pro Comp meter run today, just to 60 or so as I didn't have a road, (ahem, ...

04 STI vs Gallardo, 03 ZO6 Vette and '93 RX7

Did a GTech Pro Comp meter run today, just to 60 or so as I didn't have a road, (ahem, make that test track) long enough.

I compared it to some runs my friend Greg sent me. One of his runs from his last modifieed RX7, his 2003 ZO6 vette, and a friend of his in his car clubs Gallardo.

Here is a screen shot of the speed graphs overlayed. The times in the chart on the right are actual, although the graphs themselves represent a 12" roll-out, which is what the magazines use. With the roll-out, the STI ran a 3.712 0-60 mph time.

(Roll-Out is a term for giving the car a 12 inch headstart so as to duplicate the times at a dragstrip. At a dragstrip you can do what is known as "Deep-staging" This is when you barely break the second set of staging lights, so as to remain 12" away from the third light, which is the one that starts the clock on the run. This esentially allows the car to move 12" before the time starts counting. Most quicker cars will hit 5 mph by this distance.

Magazines also correct to sea level. They correct further to 70 degrees ambient and something like 30 or 35% relative humidity. These 2 corrections (4 really) are why buyers of these cars rarely ever come close to the magazine editors times.

My run was done at 650 feet above sea level and with higher humidity,...but it was only 65 degrees,...so it should be comparable to the magazine times. Consider that the new ZO6 Vette did a 3.5 sec 0-60 acording to MotorTrend, which was probably a 3.87 sec run without the 12" rollout.

Notice how long it takes for the Gallardos' autopmatic transmission to shift (OOPS! I meant super-cool E-Gear Paddle Shift trans). NICE! Only takes twice as long as the human it replaces, and for only $10,000.00 more. WOW, what a bargain!
    If you don't blow it up once in a while,.....there's more power left in it.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Man, If my 60' time was 2.2, I'd stop racing and go practice, same with RX7 and Lambo, those are horrendous 60' times. BTW, the Z06 doesn't weigh 3,300 lbs. Mine weighed 3115 with 1/4 tank of gas.
    N/A -- 11.9@119 1.911 60' w/street radials
    N2O -- 11.3@126 1.820 60' w/street radials

Quote Originally Posted by 03EBZ06
    Man, If my 60' time was 2.2, I'd stop racing and go practice, same with RX7 and Lambo, those are horrendous 60' times. BTW, the Z06 doesn't weigh 3,300 lbs. Mine weighed 3115 with 1/4 tank of gas.
    That's whjat most 2 wheel drive cars can do on OEM tires inflated to normal pressures.

3315 lbs for the Vette,.... sure, but to get an honnest hp calculation with the GTech Pro meter you need to tell it how much the car weighs as it runs. Hopefully there is a driver in the car, and if you weigh 185 lbs,.......the car will weigh 3300 durring your run.

The RX7 cannot launch much harder without wheel hop. My friend did do some faster runs with drag radials, (0-60 in 3.9 sec) but those runs are VERY hard on the car. They make a plate that bolts the rear diff solidly to the car, but that causes a huge amount of road noise. He did 12.2's with it doing launches like the one in the graph above. He calculated that if he didn't get wheel hop and could safely do a 1.7 sec 60', he could run 11.6 sec 1/4 miles. But that's the compromise everyone has to make for themselves. Comfortable street car, or noisy and finiky drag car. his RX7 had 16,500 miles on it and was in showroom or better condition. It never saw parking lots, girlfriends, rain etc. He wold street race a bit and tuck it away.

The vette had 800 miles on it and was on stock tires, proper inflation.

Quote Originally Posted by duckstu
    That's whjat most 2 wheel drive cars can do on OEM tires inflated to normal pressures.
    So you are using numbers from what most rwd cars run based on whatever you think it is and you are using the best number for your car, it's pretty skewed but interesting.

I've been pitted against 8 different AWD cars (5 STI and 3 EVOs) and I've only been out-launched once, which was EVO. That will tell you that most STIs does not run 1.7xx 60' time. I've seen ranges of 1.8xx - 2.0xx and I'm at the track twice a week, every week.

Didn't say it was a fair comparison.

I stated that my STI and the RX7 were modified. I also stated the ZO6 was stock, (and with 800 miles on it bnot even broken in).

I put them on the graph for comparison of what a modestly modified STI could do vs some cars we are familiar with.

I had many other runs to choose from with all sorts of cars, but I don't know all of the details of those runs. I know how good adriver my friend is and what the state of those cars were at the time of the runs.

I didn't mean to insult YOUR ZO6 in any way.

MY STi has 52,000 mles ion it and runs the origional clutch, origional wheels and Continental all season tires in the origional sizes and factory recomended tire pressures.

P.s. I can get high 4 sec 0-60 times in the rain. Try that in a Gallardo!

Also, I have only done 2 runs with the Gtech meter in the STI in the 40 some days that I have owned it, but yes, the run above is the better of the two.

My friend Greg had done hundreds of runs in the RX7, and probably 20 in the Vette. He bought the vette with 500 miles on it just to see what times it would do v.s. his RX7 after getting into it with some Corvette guys on an RX7 forum. He then sold the Vette with 1,000 miles on it. He paid 42K and sold it for 44K. Turned out it was about as quick as the RX7. He hadn't thought so as he would always badly beat ZO6 drivers on the street. I geuss he just never came up on one that could drive..

Here's a pic of the two cars in his garage.

stop being an idiot, if you don't like how he's done this test then go do one you like.. since every car they used was tested under indetical situations, with the best input data they had on hand with identical measureing equipment then it's a valid scientific process test.

So you are using numbers from what most rwd cars run based on whatever you think it is and you are using the best number for your car, it's pretty skewed but interesting.

I've been pitted against 8 different AWD cars (5 STI and 3 EVOs) and I've only been out-launched once, which was EVO. That will tell you that most STIs does not run 1.7xx 60' time. I've seen ranges of 1.8xx - 2.0xx and I'm at the track twice a week, every week.

Quote Originally Posted by doridorirx7
    stop being an idiot, if you don't like how he's done this test then go do one you like.. since every car they used was tested under indetical situations, with the best input data they had on hand with identical measureing equipment then it's a valid scientific process test.
    I would give anything for my old super nintendo! Nice avatar.
    2009 wrx Dark grey metallic

Quote Originally Posted by TurboWill
    I would give anything for my old super nintendo! Nice avatar.

thers a super nintendo in that pic? i never noticed that
    Quote Originally Posted by Integra96
    *goes outside to look for chipmunk lodged in downpipe*
    god invented turbolag to give v-8s a chance

Quote Originally Posted by duckstu
    Didn't say it was a fair comparison.

I stated that my STI and the RX7 were modified. I also stated the ZO6 was stock, (and with 800 miles on it bnot even broken in).

I put them on the graph for comparison of what a modestly modified STI could do vs some cars we are familiar with.

I had many other runs to choose from with all sorts of cars, but I don't know all of the details of those runs. I know how good adriver my friend is and what the state of those cars were at the time of the runs.

I didn't mean to insult YOUR ZO6 in any way.

MY STi has 52,000 mles ion it and runs the origional clutch, origional wheels and Continental all season tires in the origional sizes and factory recomended tire pressures.

P.s. I can get high 4 sec 0-60 times in the rain. Try that in a Gallardo!
    You didn't insult anything, I'm just pointing out the flaws with your comparisons. But it's your world so keep it going, I would much prefer to see the real world times, at the track. It's all good.

Quote Originally Posted by doridorirx7
    Reading comprehension > you

You didn't insult anything, I'm just pointing out the flaws with your comparisons. But it's your world so keep it going, I would much prefer to see the real world times, at the track. It's all good.
    "At the tracK" times aren't real world times really.

Your rear wheel drive car is traction limited on the street from a dig. It will be much faster on a well prepped dragstrip where there is alot of rubber laid down and the tractors and trucks have sprayed the launch area with VHT. Many people also let a lot of air out of their tires at the strip.

I'd be curious to know how much better your 60' times are than Gregs on stock tires inflated to stock pressures on the street.
    Last edited by duckstu; 09-27-2006 at 10:16 AM.

short bus > you

glad to see the genetic attribute of insipid arrogance is still part of the gene pool, hate to see it die out....

Reading comprehension > you

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.