06 WRX vs...Altima?
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on 06 WRX vs...Altima? within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hey guys, I see some guys trying to say that a STOCK 3.5 Altima is faster than our new 06 ...

Question 06 WRX vs...Altima?

Hey guys, I see some guys trying to say that a STOCK 3.5 Altima is faster than our new 06 WRX stock. Every independent and magazine test has our 06 WRX faster than the Altima. Our car is able to do more, AWD, etc., and coming stock with much better features, (big brake kit with red covers, AWD, functinal hood scoop, etc., and being a much lighter car. So I clicked and saw this posted on the MSN auto report, which has the WRX as faster:

http://autos.msn.com/research/vip/Sp...reza&trimid=-1

Which has the manual doing a 5.7, and even the autos doing a 6.5 (still faster than even the manual Altima 3.5) and then I posted this report of the Altima 3.5 SE-R Which at its best still ran a respectable 6.3, but that is their top model and that time is with the manual Our Autos stock are just as fast as their SE-R top of the line manuals.
    http://www.auto.consumerguide.com/Au.../Act/RoadTest/

While I understand people want to respect and defend the car they drive, they still won't believe it. (While I admit, if I had paid over 30,000 for a heavier V6 sedan that simply is a sedan with a V6, and not much else in reguards to suspension or performance, I would be a little upset). I understand and I love that our WRX are fast, and still made for more than just a straight line. I know they are dependable, and offer far more possibilites if modded, tuned, especially if turbo lag is reduced with a better exhaust and tuning.

You can read the thread here:
    http://www.nissanclub.com/forums/rac...-06-wrx-2.html

Anyone else run into this talk from Altima owners?
    Last edited by ArizonaWRX; 09-23-2006 at 04:28 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    In be fore DTR jumps on the nissan bandwagon.

The Maxima is a very capable car with everything that I've seen, but I know nothing about the Altima. I think you may have the two mixed up as I dont think the Altima comes in a 3.5 SER model. The maxima has a good six speed and alot of torque. To be honest in a fair weather area I'd more then likely would like the Nissan because of the torque and tranny.

In the snow belt hands down I'd take a wrx.

Nissans VQ series is not anything to overlook through.
    0-60 faster then your first sexual experience.
    "You've come far, and though you're far from the end
    You don't mind where you are, cause you know where you've been"

Quote Originally Posted by 302@12psi

The Maxima is a very capable car with everything that I've seen, but I know nothing about the Altima. I think you may have the two mixed up as I dont think the Altima comes in a 3.5 SER model. The maxima has a good six speed and alot of torque. To be honest in a fair weather area I'd more then likely would like the Nissan because of the torque and tranny.

They just started to offer the 3.5 Altima SER last year I think. Nice car and is pretty quick so if your looking for a quick family sedan it would be a nice fit. I don't think it is as quick is an 06 rex though, but then again I don't know alot about it besides that it has the same
    timing issue that plagues the Max and Z.

Wink

Nope, look around where ever you live. THERE are PLENTY of 3.5 Altimas. Yes, there is a 3.5 SER altima. They are VERY capable. I used to have a Nissan. But the numbers according to MSN autos, and the link that the guy listed all had the WRX as faster, slightly, but faster. Even the autos are faster than the 3.5 manuals. Both are nice cars, but stock our 06WRX is slighty faster stock, and for my money, since I just bought one, comes with better options and parts i.e. better brakes, AWD, hood scoop, lighter car, etc. Basically, I like and I bought our WRX since it is quick and was built to do more than just travel in a straight line; it can handle and turn, and grip. Must be that whole rally hertiage thing.

I Support ClubWRX
    Well apparently we must not have a ton of SE-R altimas around here because I have not seen one (or took note of one).

Either way I remember those Maximas trapping pretty good in the 1/4's and running around high 90's. To be honest most 06 wrx's will run mid to high 14's at the strip.

If you ask me it's apples to oragnes as the Altima was by no means built to compete with the wrx.

Well apparently we must not have a ton of SE-R altimas around here because I have not seen one (or took note of one).

Either way I remember those Maximas trapping pretty good in the 1/4's and running around high 90's. To be honest most 06 wrx's will run mid to high 14's at the strip.

If you ask me it's apples to oragnes as the Altima was by no means built to compete with the wrx.
    You prob. just didn't notice what they where nothing is really note worthy different. Just a red SER badge. The interior is but not the out side.Or maybe I see alot because Universal Nissan in Cali sales like 7 a day so there every where. Agree apples to oranges. What plagues nissan VQ is a ecu timing issue if fix most Z will run mid 13's all day long with a decent driver.

Quote Originally Posted by ArizonaWRX
    Hey guys, I see some guys trying to say that a STOCK 3.5 Altima is faster than our new 06 WRX stock. Every independent and magazine test has our 06 WRX faster than the Altima. Our car is able to do more, AWD, etc., and coming stock with much better features, (big brake kit with red covers, AWD, functinal hood scoop, etc., and being a much lighter car. So I clicked and saw this posted on the MSN auto report, which has the WRX as faster:

http://autos.msn.com/research/vip/Sp...reza&trimid=-1

Which has the manual doing a 5.7, and even the autos doing a 6.5 (still faster than even the manual Altima 3.5) and then I posted this report of the Altima 3.5 SE-R Which at its best still ran a respectable 6.3, but that is their top model and that time is with the manual Our Autos stock are just as fast as their SE-R top of the line manuals.
    http://www.auto.consumerguide.com/Au.../Act/RoadTest/

While I understand people want to respect and defend the car they drive, they still won't believe it. (While I admit, if I had paid over 30,000 for a heavier V6 sedan that simply is a sedan with a V6, and not much else in reguards to suspension or performance, I would be a little upset). I understand and I love that our WRX are fast, and still made for more than just a straight line. I know they are dependable, and offer far more possibilites if modded, tuned, especially if turbo lag is reduced with a better exhaust and tuning.

You can read the thread here:
    http://www.nissanclub.com/forums/rac...-06-wrx-2.html

Anyone else run into this talk from Altima owners?
    2 different argument being made at the site. Some people are talking about overall speed and using the trap is the determining factor. Can't really do that against a awd cause it doesn't tell the whole story or power output. From a time stand point at track stock verses stock goes to an 06 rex if you don't f-up the launch. In the thread the guy lost so that pretty much clears up that. On the street anything could happen especially when its a story and not a clean cut vid

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by IECaliwrx
    2 different argument being made at the site. Some people are talking about overall speed and using the trap is the determining factor. Can't really do that against a awd cause it doesn't tell the whole story or power output. From a time stand point at track stock verses stock goes to an 06 rex if you don't f-up the launch. In the thread the guy lost so that pretty much clears up that. On the street anything could happen especially when its a story and not a clean cut vid
    I agree.

+1 on the apples to oranges thing. One is a quick family sedan, one is a rally style car; quick and nible.

Ok, lets get a few things straight here:

1) Yes, there is an Altima SE-R. Much like the previous years of the LGT specB it is a waste of money. You pay a premium of about $3k-$4k more for a slightly firmer suspension, 6spd tranny from the maxima, painted brake calipers, 10hp more, and some badges.

2) I am not sure what you are trying to focus on. You speak of which is faster, and then start bringing things up like braking, handling, etc....

3) Car vs Car in a performance aspect, the Altima (base or SE-R) is not even close to the capabilities of the wrx... ESPECIALLY the 2006. As someone already mentioned... apples and oranges.

4) For which car is faster, you are referencing 0-60 times which are completely meaningless for one, and secondly, of course the wrx will have a superior 0-60 time due to AWD.
    Now that we have that out of the way, we can analyze a more suiting measure of speed (1/4mile and trap speed). The thing with the 5spd Altima is that weight can vary a lot between options. A completely base Altima 3.5L weighs less than a wrx. A fully loaded Altima 3.5L can tip the scales a couple hundred pounds more at least.
    Your average 2006 WRX driver is going to see mid 14's (14.4-14.6) @ 94/95mph. Your better drivers will see low 14's (14.0-14.2) @ 95/96 and your best drivers will see high 13's (13.7-13.9) 97/98.

With the Altima, it is pretty similar. Base Altima 5spd 3.5L with your average driver will see mid-higher 14's (14.7-14.8) @ 95mph. Your better drivers see mid 14's (14.3-14.5) @ 97/98. Your best drivers will see high 13's - lower 14's (13.9-14.2) @ 98/99mph.
    As you can see, their times are pretty similar based on driving skill. There are quite a few people at altima.net and maxima.org that have gone high 13's/very low 14's in their bone stock 3.5L altima or SE-R.

On any given day, I would put my money on a wrx to be the victor, but just the same, no one in a stock wrx should be suprised if they get beat by a well driven 3.5L altima.

302@12psi: I am afraid I don't see how I hop on a bandwagon. I apologize however if you have a hard time making out the difference between jumping on a bandwagon and being one of the few that actually have the facts.
    Last edited by DTR rex; 09-23-2006 at 09:15 PM.
    Just call me Clark Kent
    ---------------------------------------
    Offical Body Guard for the Bugeye Mafia.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by DTR rex
    302@12psi: I am afraid I don't see how I hop on a bandwagon. I apologize however if you have a hard time making out the difference between jumping on a bandwagon and being one of the few that actually have the facts.
    Sarcasim missed........I was waiting for you to jump in with the "facts"

DTR no offense, but I don't see ANY altima running 13s stock, or close to it for that matter. Show me a timeslip along with your "facts", then I'll be a happy camper.
    2006 World Rally Blue Pearl TR Sedan.
    OEM fogs
    OEM Rear deck lid
    -much more to come-
    VAG-EYE-NA is a beautiful thing!!
    Lifes Necessities: Food,Clothing,Shelter and SUBARUS!!

Sarcasim missed........I was waiting for you to jump in with the "facts"
    My apologies. I must have missed the sarcasm
    Just call me Clark Kent
    ---------------------------------------
    Offical Body Guard for the Bugeye Mafia.

Altima stock/very minimal mods (if it even matters if OEM resonator is similar to subaru's straight thru pipe)

http://www.dragtimes.com/Nissan-Alti...slip-3240.html
    1/4 Mile ET: 14.162
    1/4 Mile MPH: 99.450
    1/8 Mile ET: 9.196
    1/8 Mile MPH: 78.240
    0-60 Foot ET: 2.212

http://www.dragtimes.com/Nissan-Alti...slip-4027.html
    1/4 Mile ET: 14.164
    1/4 Mile MPH: 97.700
    1/8 Mile ET: 9.145
    1/8 Mile MPH: 77.950
    0-60 Foot ET: 2.177
    Temperature F: 65.0

They trap higher and even with 2.1-2.2 second 60 foot times, they do decently ET-wise. A WRX that doesn't launch well (1.8 or so 60 foot times) is probably going to lose. But if you are decent at launching with a quick slip of the clutch from 4K or so, a WRX should eek a win consistently.
    Last edited by Beanboy; 09-24-2006 at 10:49 PM.

I Support ClubWRX
    The 3.5 Altima is why I started modding in 2003. I got surprised by one, and couldn't shake him. Don't underestimate them if you're stock.

I couldn't shake one off from a rolling race with my 4eat. Dead even.
    -09 Impreza 2.5GT 13.72/ 99.4/1.926
    -99 Mustang 10.64/136.41.57
    -08 R32 (bone stock)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.