06 WRX vs...Altima? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on 06 WRX vs...Altima? within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I test drove a 5-speed 3.5 liter Altima back in '02, right before I bought my first WRX. The negatives ...

I Support ClubWRX
    I test drove a 5-speed 3.5 liter Altima back in '02, right before I bought my first WRX. The negatives for me were the feel of the front-wheel-drive and the waaaay soft suspension, but other than that it was a great car with a lot of torque. There are lots of V6-powered cars out there that will lay down the law to a stock WRX; you may as well just get over it.

At then end of the day, all of this is just magazine racing. If it's really all THAT important to you, find a friend with a 3.5 Altima, go to the strip with him, and settle it.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Meaning a 2006 would smoke it. But seriously with the increase hp and torque it shouldn't be hard from a dig or roll. The Altima itself is not a performance car. It is more luxery then performance.

Quote Originally Posted by viperuws
    Meaning a 2006 would smoke it. But seriously with the increase hp and torque it shouldn't be hard from a dig or roll. The Altima itself is not a performance car. It is more luxery then performance.
    No.

I don't know why you are reverting back to the altima being luxury car and not a performance car and therefore meaning it would be beat. There are a lot of luxury cars that are not considered sport car that have some balls. An 06' WRX and an Altima at a higher roll will be a close race, but the Altima consistantly traps higher and therefore is likely to be the victor. From a dig however, you would need a very very well driven altima to beat an 06' from a dig and its not likely to happen, but it can, and it does.

The 06' is quicker than previous years, but it is not as much as people think. If you are an excellent driver you can eek out some better times and trap speeds, but for the most part, a lot of your average 06' drivers are seeing very similar times and traps as 02-05 owners.
    Just call me Clark Kent
    ---------------------------------------
    Offical Body Guard for the Bugeye Mafia.

Hey DTR, have you actually driven an '06 by chance??
    2006 World Rally Blue Pearl TR Sedan.
    OEM fogs
    OEM Rear deck lid
    -much more to come-
    VAG-EYE-NA is a beautiful thing!!
    Lifes Necessities: Food,Clothing,Shelter and SUBARUS!!

Quote Originally Posted by mangiapane
    Hey DTR, have you actually driven an '06 by chance??
    Yes, A few of them actually.

A good friend of mine went shopping for an 06' when he didn't know how to drive stick. I test drove two 06' TR's, and 1 regular 06's wrx for him.

I drove his car when it was stock several times, I drove it when it was catless several times, and I have driven it at stage2 twice.
    Just call me Clark Kent

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by DTR rex
    Yes, A few of them actually.
    A good friend of mine went shopping for an 06' when he didn't know how to drive stick. I test drove two 06' TR's, and 1 regular 06's wrx for him.
    I drove his car when it was stock several times, I drove it when it was catless several times, and I have driven it at stage2 twice.
    I'd like to drive an '06 sometime, to see what the fuss is about. Sure looks like a great starter platform for mods.
    --Ray
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited

Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX
    I'd like to drive an '06 sometime, to see what the fuss is about. Sure looks like a great starter platform for mods.
    I love the 06' compared to my bugeye.

The interior is more solid and refined with more sound deadening, the tranny is a bit more precise, the brakes stop better, and handling is more solid than previous years.

I would say the biggest difference is the torque obviously though. The torque comes on stonger in a stock 06' than in my wrx with TBE. If you think your 02' sedan was a good buy for the money, then I think you would be thoroughly impressed with an 06'.

I just think a lot of the 06' owners make too much of a fuss about the differences. The torque is quite nice which makes for a better daily driver, but its not a night and day thing.

My friends stage2 06' has amazing torque and lower end pull (similar to a stock STi), but it still kinda falls on its face uptop just like the other wrx's. My catless + MBC 02' wrx that trapped 100mph felt just as fast in the higher rpm's as a stage2 06'. Again though, the lowend torque is much better in the 06'.
    Last edited by DTR rex; 09-25-2006 at 08:51 PM.
    Just call me Clark Kent

Thumbs up

I LOVE my 06 WRX! It is by far the best car I have ever driven! The 4 pot big brakes and AWD+sport suspenion are great! Oh yeah, and the whole hgher torque/turbo thing are really nice. I had never driven a WRX before, but the turbo lag isn't that noticable. The 2.5 engine (same boxer 2.5 for WRX and STI) helps provide more than enough power, multiply that by a ton when the turbo spools up.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by DTR rex
    My friends stage2 06' has amazing torque and lower end pull (similar to a stock STi), but it still kinda falls on its face uptop just like the other wrx's. .
    Makes sense; still using the TD04 snail.
    --Ray
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX
    Makes sense; still using the TD04 snail.

Shifting at 5k is what I do when running it out. It takes forever to run past that and the car is dead past 5k
    0-60 faster then your first sexual experience.
    "You've come far, and though you're far from the end
    You don't mind where you are, cause you know where you've been"

I am not saying luxery cars can't beat the WRX...I consider a M3 to be a luxery car and it isn't even comparable to the WRX. Along with even the heavier luxery cars like lexus and cadis. I didn't say luxery cars are always slow at all. I meant to say that the altima is not really built to be fast...it was built to be nice to ride in.

My point is with the same experience behind both wheels...the 06 WRX should beat the altima.

Quote Originally Posted by 302@12psi
    Shifting at 5k is what I do when running it out. It takes forever to run past that and the car is dead past 5k

That is what I find too.
    Just call me Clark Kent

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12