06 WRX vs 300Z Turbo
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on 06 WRX vs 300Z Turbo within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; So I'm on my way home from work the other night and this Z pulls up next to me. I ...

06 WRX vs 300Z Turbo

So I'm on my way home from work the other night and this Z pulls up next to me. I am not sure what year, but it was the last model 300 they made. Anyway I look over and check it out, some dude an his gf. He looks over and smiles, then he nails it. I downshift to third but its pretty much too late to catch him.

We pull up to the next light and I roll down the window and ask the guy if he wants to run (I work late so it's after midnight and the streets are pretty much empty). Light turns green and I get a good launch, chirp the tires and I'm gone. I think he was spinning or bogged or something because I am like three or four car lengths on him by second. I stay in it, but I can hear that thing catching up (BOV was loud as he!!) by the end of fourth he was slowly going by.

I didnt know those things were that fast..he said that he was stock, but I know he had at least a catback and BOV.

Fun anyway.
    HAWK-EYE ALLIANCE #44
    2006 SGM WRX
    Cobb Stage 2
    APS 3" Catted TBE
    H-Tech Springs
    Eibach 10mm Spacers

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

you didnt know 300ZX Turbos were fast? wow, where have you been? these cars have made muscle car owners cry since 1990...

Knew they were fast, just thought my stage 2 rex was faster than a "stock" Z...
    HAWK-EYE ALLIANCE #44
    2006 SGM WRX
    Cobb Stage 2
    APS 3" Catted TBE
    H-Tech Springs
    Eibach 10mm Spacers

They are quick but I don't think that quick. If he gained 4 cars in 3rd and passing by 4th then I don't think he was stock.

This is what I found on the 300z
    TT 300:0-60 in 5.5sec and 1/4 mile in 13.9sec at 102 mph. 300 hp and 283lbs/ft

Sorry but 13.9@102mph isn't going to walk a 06 stg2 WRX. Stock 06's a running faster times.
    2002 PSM utec Stage 4
    Mods

Yeah, I had a feeling he was full of it..
    HAWK-EYE ALLIANCE #44
    2006 SGM WRX
    Cobb Stage 2
    APS 3" Catted TBE
    H-Tech Springs
    Eibach 10mm Spacers

well, on the 300zx tt, an intake, exhaust, and ecu = 100hp (20+20+60) over stock. However, its a quick car stock, you cant believe in magazine numbers so much... my bone stock Z with over 90,000 miles of wear on it (and it needs maintenence) had no problems keeping up/ outrunning my friends WRX with intake and turboback. of course, my WRX will outrun it... but its also got a lot of mods on it.

No way in hell will a stock 300ZX make up 4 car lengths on a stage2 rex.

He was def. not stock.. However, he might have only been lightly modded. Simple and exhaust and ECU mods put them in the 12's with 110mph traps.
    Just call me Clark Kent
    ---------------------------------------
    Offical Body Guard for the Bugeye Mafia.

300zx are pretty fast on the highway w/ basic old school HKS electronics
    NEWENGLAND F4
    Mod List

My uncle used to have a 300z. It was a full drag car running low 9's. So yes those cars can be fast.

That's actually not surprising at all to me.

Z32s are the very definition of "highway car". It's all about their gearing, third and fourth gear are actually monstrously quick. Out of all the big 4 USDM Japanese supercars (RX-7 TT, Supra TT, 3000GT VR-4, 300Zx TT) the 300zx is often the most underrated. In stock form, from a roll it's probably second fastest after the Supra (Which has an additional 20-30hp). They are notoriously hard to launch, but absolutely demonic on the highway. I have no question at all that a TT would be pulling on a stage 2 WRX in third and especially fourth gear. And yes, they recieve great gains from mods. It's not very hard at all to bring a TT up to 400-420hp with bolt-ons.

As for not knowing they were that fast, well, damn. The Z32 came out in 1989 and without it and the R32 GT-R, the other 3 cars probably would have never existed. I had a 1996 N/A Slicktop which was without a doubt the best car I've ever owned. Even my 222hp N/A had no problem winding out to a top speed of 150mph. Third and fourth in that car would have easily pulled my WRX when it was stock and probably at stage 1.

I was actually saving for a TT swap for my N/A when she was killed in an accident. Worst day of my life.

TT slicktop FTW.

Quote Originally Posted by seaguls
    My uncle used to have a 300z. It was a full drag car running low 9's. So yes those cars can be fast.
    If so, i doubt it was a Z32. The fastest 2 TTs in the world that I know of are mid-high 9s. the Z32 was not a good drag car.

Quote Originally Posted by Skunkers
    That's actually not surprising at all to me.

Z32s are the very definition of "highway car". It's all about their gearing, third and fourth gear are actually monstrously quick. Out of all the big 4 USDM Japanese supercars (RX-7 TT, Supra TT, 3000GT VR-4, 300Zx TT) the 300zx is often the most underrated. In stock form, from a roll it's probably second fastest after the Supra (Which has an additional 20-30hp). They are notoriously hard to launch, but absolutely demonic on the highway. I have no question at all that a TT would be pulling on a stage 2 WRX in third and especially fourth gear. And yes, they recieve great gains from mods. It's not very hard at all to bring a TT up to 400-420hp with bolt-ons.
    No one is saying a 300zx wouldn't/couldn't pull on one from a roll. It's the fact that this 300 came from 3 to 4 cars down and still manage to beat a stg2 WRX by the end of 4th which is pretty much a 1/4 mile run. Sorry I don't see a stock 300zx making up that kind of ground. If they ran into 5th I could see it.
    2002 PSM utec Stage 4
    Mods

300's are pigs. I ran a modded one(TT) with my 02 stage 2 and smoked it hard. I'm sure they are strong from a high speed roll, but so are 06 wrx's with stage 2. I ran a Lex GS430 in Canada past 140mph and it was kneck and kneck in my current 06 WRX. The GS would probably hang real close with a TT 300ZX. You can't just go by your but-o-meter either. At those speeds the only way to tell how much faster you are is to be actually doing it. The power curves are too diffent between cars to be able to determine by your a$$ which car pulls harder. The WRX could just have a broader power delivery than the Z, while the Z is peakier, or vice versa. Both may still produce the same numbers regardless, but one may "feel" faster than the other.
    Last edited by scoob; 09-14-2006 at 08:29 AM.
    My car looks just like this without the skirts and roof wing! Yeah baby!

Quote Originally Posted by WRX-ERROR
    No one is saying a 300zx wouldn't/couldn't pull on one from a roll. It's the fact that this 300 came from 3 to 4 cars down and still manage to beat a stg2 WRX by the end of 4th which is pretty much a 1/4 mile run. Sorry I don't see a stock 300zx making up that kind of ground. If they ran into 5th I could see it.
    The end of fourth is around 120mph, a lot more than a quarter mile in either car. And yes, a stock TT would be pulling some at the top of third, and pulling hard in fourth gear. How do you figure a car with 20-30 more whp, better aerodynamics, and far superior high end gearing would not be able to pull it back in?

Quote Originally Posted by Skunkers
    The end of fourth is around 120mph, a lot more than a quarter mile in either car. And yes, a stock TT would be pulling some at the top of third, and pulling hard in fourth gear. How do you figure a car with 20-30 more whp, better aerodynamics, and far superior high end gearing would not be able to pull it back in?
    I also beeat tt 300z with my stage 2 wrx on the highway. If it's only 20 or 30 more whp that's not alot considering they weight like 300+ lbs more then us
    Mini Superman with four legs
    2006 Midnight Black Pearl WRX

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.