My Cobb Stage II WRX vs VF-34/Ecutek WRX
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 19

This is a discussion on My Cobb Stage II WRX vs VF-34/Ecutek WRX within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Mods on my '05: Cobb AP Stage II (Off the shelf 91 octane map) TurboXS RFL-Ti catless turboback Cobb SF ...

  1. #1
    Registered User Blue EJ20 WRX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Orange, California
    Posts
    1,375

    My Cobb Stage II WRX vs VF-34/Ecutek WRX

    Mods on my '05:
    Cobb AP Stage II (Off the shelf 91 octane map)
    TurboXS RFL-Ti catless turboback
    Cobb SF Intake (short ram)
    Stock uppipe
    Stock TMIC

    '04 WRX I raced:
    Ecutek dynotuned
    VF-34
    Pinks
    Walbro pump
    HKS Turboback
    HKS Uppipe
    Spearco TMIC

    He pulls up to me while we're on the freeway, and I hear him downshift into third as he lines up next to me. I wasn't planning on racing, but my friend was said they were video taping it and I have to go. I look over to see a video camera pointed at me, and the passenger waving his arms ahead telling me to go. I looked at my mirror to see a lot of head lights behind me, thinking any one of them could be a cop. I'm like ***** And downshift into 3rd at 60 MPH, and we both go at the same time.

    In third, he starts pulling pretty hard. He gets about 1 car lengths ahead of me before he shifts into 4th. I don't shift to 4th for another 4-5 seconds, and by that time I've almost caught up. Once I was completely even with him, and he pulled maybe a car length and didn't pull after that. I then shut it down once I realized I was at 110 MPH

    We slowed down on the freeway next to each other to try and talk. His passenger asks, "Is that an STi?" I laugh, and say "No, it's a Stage II WRX". I ask what's done to his car, and when I heard VF-34 I had a big smile on my face. We stopped at a gas station to check each other's cars out and talk for a little while.

    Even though a technically lost, I think I did great considering what I was up against
    I think I may do a little better once my Blouch 18g gets here in a few days

  2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Registered User WRX-ERROR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Wilkes Barre, Pa
    Posts
    779
    Wow your car must pull really hard. My vf39 WRX crushes stg2 WRX once I hit 3rd gear. I normally leave them 2 to 3 cars by the end of 3rd gear and the faster we go the worse it gets.

    But then again I did see a stg1 AP WRX pull on a stg2 AP WRX over and over and over again. Some cars just flat out run harder then others.

    Good death.. Atleast a WRX won right?
    2002 PSM utec Stage 4
    Mods

  4. #3
    Registered User D0WNxSH1FT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Westchester Cnty, NY
    Posts
    6,545
    That is very odd. 3rd and 4th pull very hard in my VF34. Then again, i dont have poop gas here. Maybe that guy missed a gear, let off early or had a bad tune.
    2008 Satin White Pearl WRX Sedan w/ Navi
    2005 San Remo Red WRX Sedan w/ VF34 (traded)
    Pi Kappa Alpha | New England Flat 4

  5. #4
    Administrator Trainrex's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    26,590
    I Support ClubWRX
    I vote for him letting off. My VF34 pulls MUCH harder in 3rd and 4th than my stocker did at stage 2.

  6. #5
    Registered User enash99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Palm Harbor, FL
    Posts
    1,375
    Quote Originally Posted by D0WNxSH1FT
    That is very odd. 3rd and 4th pull very hard in my VF34. Then again, i dont have poop gas here. Maybe that guy missed a gear, let off early or had a bad tune.

    I agree with you my vf-34 setup is just short of 300whp will be going to get another tune soon so we will see how close i am, but with boost at 21 psi at 4500 and 19.5 at 7000 i am dead even with protuned stage 2 sti with 310whp.. I think that this really is possible because if a vf-34 isnt tuned correctly a stage 2 much faster spooling td04 can hang right there.. I have before against other vf39's untuned when i was stage 2 cobb 93 oct map. plus we get good gas here.. c16

    but now it a totally diff story, i am pulling like crazy, even hung in there with an M6 last week and beat an older M5..
    2003 Platinum Silver Metalic Sedan
    VF-34 Powered
    My Mods
    Quote Originally Posted by Yossarian
    Even if your car was stock, your chances of warranty coverage are about as good as a retarded chimp trying to do a calculus problem while high on pcp.

  7. #6
    Registered User WRXgotit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Lakewood, WA
    Posts
    666
    Power to the stock TURBO and atge2 YEEHaaaaaaaa!!! He must have had one Hevy Camera.
    .......... two cents below _______________
    02 WRX/ owner since I could dream.
    WFC The 3rd III cobbcobbcobbcobbcobbcobb
    (((((((((((((((( NOW STAGE2 ))))))))))))))))
    _______________________________.

  8. #7
    Registered User Blue EJ20 WRX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Orange, California
    Posts
    1,375
    Quote Originally Posted by D0WNxSH1FT
    That is very odd. 3rd and 4th pull very hard in my VF34. Then again, i dont have poop gas here. Maybe that guy missed a gear, let off early or had a bad tune.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex
    I vote for him letting off. My VF34 pulls MUCH harder in 3rd and 4th than my stocker did at stage 2.
    He didn't miss a gear, and he let off even after I did. I was maybe a car length behind him, neither of us were pulling, and I let off at 110.

    Possibly a bad tune, though. Two companies built and tuned the car for him. When I asked, he said the tuner said it made around 270ish I don't know if he actually saw them dyno it or if he has a dyno chart.

    I have ridden in a buddies Cobb OTS map/VF-34 WRX, and it does feel pretty quick compared to mine. Nothing amazing, but it does pull a good amount harder.

    People always say my car feels really fast, but I don't know
    A friend's 2006 SMG M3 wasn't pulling on me when he was behind me just messing around (30-80 MPH).

    Maybe my car is a freak, ahha. I might get it dyno'ed before the 18g just to see what I'm putting down.

  9. #8
    Registered User tayhadar1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Spokane, WA
    Posts
    1,509
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue EJ20 WRX
    Maybe my car is a freak, ahha. I might get it dyno'ed before the 18g just to see what I'm putting down.
    You guys are so lucky to have access to all wheel drive dynos, I think I have to drive to Seattle if I ever want a protune down the road 280 miles
    2004 WRX Sti Cobb Stage 2
    GO COUGS!!!

  10. #9
    Administrator Trainrex's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    26,590
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue EJ20 WRX


    I have ridden in a buddies Cobb OTS map/VF-34 WRX, and it does feel pretty quick compared to mine. Nothing amazing, but it does pull a good amount harder.
    Plop a couple more mods on there, a custom tune, and the car is in a different catagory than a stage 2 all together. That's the only reason I said he let off.

  11. #10
    Registered User D0WNxSH1FT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Westchester Cnty, NY
    Posts
    6,545
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue EJ20 WRX
    He didn't miss a gear, and he let off even after I did. I was maybe a car length behind him, neither of us were pulling, and I let off at 110.

    Possibly a bad tune, though. Two companies built and tuned the car for him. When I asked, he said the tuner said it made around 270ish I don't know if he actually saw them dyno it or if he has a dyno chart.

    Maybe my car is a freak, ahha. I might get it dyno'ed before the 18g just to see what I'm putting down.
    I'm putting down 276 whp on a custom Pro Tune at 19psi.

    It just doesnt make sense for him to of let off after you and you kept up. A VF-34'd WRX has a lot better top end than the stock TD04. Either he was short shifting or let off early. Frankly from experience, 110 comes A LOT faster in a VF34 than the TD04 so he could of hit over 100 and let off, i know if I was worried about cops I would let off earlier too.

    Could be a factory freak, its very possible.
    2008 Satin White Pearl WRX Sedan w/ Navi
    2005 San Remo Red WRX Sedan w/ VF34 (traded)
    Pi Kappa Alpha | New England Flat 4

  12. #11
    Registered User SonicYellowWRX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Posts
    2,203
    could easily be a bad tune... you're in orange, CA... so yeah... i've had my car dyno tuned in So Cal so many times before someone finally got it right.

    be careful with your COBB AP, i've seen many engines blown running that. and lots of engines are running lean on CA 91 octane... on a dyno. it just may be that you are running dangerously lean, which is why you are "freakishly fast".

  13. #12
    Registered User D0WNxSH1FT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Westchester Cnty, NY
    Posts
    6,545
    Quote Originally Posted by SonicYellowWRX
    could easily be a bad tune... you're in orange, CA... so yeah... i've had my car dyno tuned in So Cal so many times before someone finally got it right.

    be careful with your COBB AP, i've seen many engines blown running that. and lots of engines are running lean on CA 91 octane... on a dyno. it just may be that you are running dangerously lean, which is why you are "freakishly fast".
    That's odd, the Cobb maps tend to run Rich to be safe.
    2008 Satin White Pearl WRX Sedan w/ Navi
    2005 San Remo Red WRX Sedan w/ VF34 (traded)
    Pi Kappa Alpha | New England Flat 4

  14. #13
    Registered User Blue EJ20 WRX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Orange, California
    Posts
    1,375
    Quote Originally Posted by SonicYellowWRX
    could easily be a bad tune... you're in orange, CA... so yeah... i've had my car dyno tuned in So Cal so many times before someone finally got it right.
    Where are some places you've gotten tuned at, and which place got it right?
    I'm most likely going to be tuned at Harman Motive.

    be careful with your COBB AP, i've seen many engines blown running that. and lots of engines are running lean on CA 91 octane... on a dyno. it just may be that you are running dangerously lean, which is why you are "freakishly fast".
    Do you have any links/proof of this? I have never heard of that. Worst I've heard with Cobb, is frying an ECU when doing a reflash. Cobb maps are very conservative and don't push it to the car's limits.

  15. #14
    Registered User Blue EJ20 WRX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Orange, California
    Posts
    1,375
    Quote Originally Posted by D0WNxSH1FT
    I'm putting down 276 whp on a custom Pro Tune at 19psi.

    It just doesnt make sense for him to of let off after you and you kept up. A VF-34'd WRX has a lot better top end than the stock TD04. Either he was short shifting or let off early. Frankly from experience, 110 comes A LOT faster in a VF34 than the TD04 so he could of hit over 100 and let off, i know if I was worried about cops I would let off earlier too.

    Could be a factory freak, its very possible.
    He said he was shifting right at 7k. I asked because I thought it was weird that he was shifting into fourth a good 4-5 seconds before I was. Maybe the company that did the work put some gears in, and he forgot to mention it to me.

    I was shifting a little higher, about ~7250.

    Isn't the VF-34 designed for more low end/midrange and better spool? I would think it would still have a little better top end than the TD04, but nothing like a VF-22 or something a little larger.

    He was pulling away really hard in 3rd, but once he got to fourth, he was only a little faster.

  16. #15
    Registered User enash99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Palm Harbor, FL
    Posts
    1,375
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue EJ20 WRX
    Do you have any links/proof of this? I have never heard of that. Worst I've heard with Cobb, is frying an ECU when doing a reflash. Cobb maps are very conservative and don't push it to the car's limits.

    Agreed, In fact Cobbs maps are very mild compared to your pro-tune. Think about it they have to have a map that can easily be loaded onto thousands of cars with out taking a chance of poping motors. A good friend of mine had his 03 vf-34 wrx dyno'ed with a cobb 93 octane map and he only got 251 to the wheels.. This is similar to what i also seen. I honestly think that Cobb has a good product and great maps for the intermediate enthusiasts, and a great starting point for even the most bleeding edge tunes.

    my 2 pennies
    2003 Platinum Silver Metalic Sedan
    VF-34 Powered
    My Mods
    Quote Originally Posted by Yossarian
    Even if your car was stock, your chances of warranty coverage are about as good as a retarded chimp trying to do a calculus problem while high on pcp.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •