What it takes to beat an M3? - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 44

This is a discussion on What it takes to beat an M3? within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; What year is the M3????...

  1. #16
    Registered User MengHang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    MI
    Posts
    300
    What year is the M3????
    Meng Hang

    Ogura Corporation (US Headquarters) Chesterfield Township, MI
    Network System Administrator, IT Supervisor
    Black WRX 2002, ...with 18G with Stock IC.

  2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements
     

  3. #17
    Registered User chromatica's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    utah
    Posts
    680
    Quote Originally Posted by taz1004
    Well despite the difference in HP, M3 is still faster than M5. And upcoming V8 powered M3 will be even faster.

    What does it take to beat an M3? Race him in snow.
    from 0-60, yes
    but after that it's all m5
    I want my subie back.

  4. #18
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    58

    pimpin all over the world

    M3??? jjejejej those car r slow as hell!!! i think a little bit quicker than the 350z, if ur car is a wrx with the 2.0 engine these r the mods, bellmouth downpipe,catback exhaust,short ram intake,ngk spark plugs,bigger intercooler would help, and accesport stage 2 and after that protuned time, 270 awhp (stock turbo) would kill the m3 ,im not talkin about beatin a M3 i'm talkin about whoppin . my friend got those mods and the m3 don't stand a chance , off the line or rollin same results , me myself im rollin in a 06 STi stage 2 ,protuned 310 awhp (stock turbo) trust me bad ass and m3 for me r joke, now cobra and evo's that's another story but nothin to worry about homeboy and of course drivin skills papa'.

  5. #19
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    58

    pimpin all over the world

    and listen the m3 even with mods like : exhaust, headers , intake and racing chips or things like those, those cars don't make power until u put a supercharged or turbocharged on it, but M3 are beautiful cars but too expensive

  6. #20
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    California
    Posts
    848
    I would think that an AP stage 2 would do it in terms of street racing.

    What mods do you have anyway? For the heck of it, just do it and let us know!
    I might be back in the market for the new STI sedan!

  7. #21
    He simply abides. SD_GR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    CA, US
    Posts
    22,472
    I Support ClubWRX
    Isn't this an empirical question?

    I have looked into this carefully while deciding on what to buy at one point. I mentioned a specific bend in my previous post; the speeds and differences are dramatic and very telling. Here's the info from the link I provided:

    STi entry 143.1 kph exit 127.9 kph in 7.75 sec
    Evo8 entry 144.3 kph exit 124.3 kph in 7.7 sec
    M3 entry 146.3 kph exit 125.4 kph in 7.55 sec
    350Z entry 138.0 kph exit 123.0 kph in 7.75 sec
    RX8 entry 135.6 exit 117.1 in 7.85 kph sec

    This is a right-hander that opens up nicely. Notice:

    1. The M3 arrives at a HIGHER speed than the STi (more power, more balance, good brakes).
    2. The M3 exits with a LOWER speed than the STi (less ability to put power onto the ground on the exit).
    3. The M3 exits IN LESS TIME than the STi (the lower exit speed notwithstanding, the M3 is there faster and is gone faster than the STi).

    The differences in entry and exit speeds almost cancel out on paper, and the two cars are different to set up for that bend and the following short straight, but the bottom line is that the M3 is a faster car. It simply covers more ground in less time, and makes up for the slower exit speed by accelerating better into the next straight, and braking deeper into the corners...

    Now to the original question -- how to improve the Impreza to make it competitive with the M3. The Impreza understeers and does not have enough power, plain and simple. I'd think the 6-speed gearbox from Subaru with all the ancillaries, along with better brakes, sways, links, dampers, springs, etc., along with better engine management and a turbo like a big 16g plus injectors, pump, etc. and care with cooling are needed.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

  8. #22
    Registered User McBain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Arlington, MA
    Posts
    827
    The M3's I see at the track run 13's at 103-105. A decent driver with a VF34 can beat that. I smoked one with my 18G, running a 13.0@110.9 to his 13.6@102.9.
    N.E. F4
    Mods

  9. #23
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    CT
    Posts
    37
    Quote Originally Posted by 305wrxPIMP
    M3??? jjejejej those car r slow as hell!!! i think a little bit quicker than the 350z, if ur car is a wrx with the 2.0 engine these r the mods, bellmouth downpipe,catback exhaust,short ram intake,ngk spark plugs,bigger intercooler would help, and accesport stage 2 and after that protuned time, 270 awhp (stock turbo) would kill the m3 ,im not talkin about beatin a M3 i'm talkin about whoppin . my friend got those mods and the m3 don't stand a chance , off the line or rollin same results , me myself im rollin in a 06 STi stage 2 ,protuned 310 awhp (stock turbo) trust me bad ass and m3 for me r joke, now cobra and evo's that's another story but nothin to worry about homeboy and of course drivin skills papa'.
    i doubt all that bellmouth, catback nonsence will beat an m3 on a stock 2.0 engine and stock turbo...i had all that and it wasn't that fast...and no way 270 hp, just not that powerfull..now after a complete jdm v8 sti swap and tuned, making 280 awhp pulled m3 pretty good...even starting at 60, although i am sure he wud have passed my if we went over say 120mph, wrx/sti just aren't that fast at speed.

  10. #24
    Registered User powder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    WA State
    Posts
    3,595
    I raced an E46 M3 the other day in my stock '06... he smoked the doors off me. My friend has an E36 so i might try to see how i fare against him. We'll see.
    Blobeye Syndicate #2004
    Military Militia #30-06

    2004 WRX - JBP:Stage 2:13.93 @ 96

    Wingless alas. Too bad it took a 50 ton truck to make it happen.

  11. #25
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    Posts
    202
    Hopes and dreams
    2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX
    Works Drop in Filter, TTP Engineering 3" Downpipe, 3" Ultimate Racing Test Pipe, GReddy Evo2 exhaust, Walbro 255lph Fuel Pump, Forge UNOS MBC @ 22-23lbs, Fighters Garage LICP, Custom Dynoflash, S2000 Antenna, Stewart Warner Boost Gauge

  12. #26
    Registered User mike05STi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Nashville, TN
    Posts
    2,720
    Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR
    Isn't this an empirical question?

    I have looked into this carefully while deciding on what to buy at one point. I mentioned a specific bend in my previous post; the speeds and differences are dramatic and very telling. Here's the info from the link I provided:

    STi entry 143.1 kph exit 127.9 kph in 7.75 sec
    Evo8 entry 144.3 kph exit 124.3 kph in 7.7 sec
    M3 entry 146.3 kph exit 125.4 kph in 7.55 sec
    350Z entry 138.0 kph exit 123.0 kph in 7.75 sec
    RX8 entry 135.6 exit 117.1 in 7.85 kph sec

    This is a right-hander that opens up nicely. Notice:

    1. The M3 arrives at a HIGHER speed than the STi (more power, more balance, good brakes).
    2. The M3 exits with a LOWER speed than the STi (less ability to put power onto the ground on the exit).
    3. The M3 exits IN LESS TIME than the STi (the lower exit speed notwithstanding, the M3 is there faster and is gone faster than the STi).

    The differences in entry and exit speeds almost cancel out on paper, and the two cars are different to set up for that bend and the following short straight, but the bottom line is that the M3 is a faster car. It simply covers more ground in less time, and makes up for the slower exit speed by accelerating better into the next straight, and braking deeper into the corners...

    Now to the original question -- how to improve the Impreza to make it competitive with the M3. The Impreza understeers and does not have enough power, plain and simple. I'd think the 6-speed gearbox from Subaru with all the ancillaries, along with better brakes, sways, links, dampers, springs, etc., along with better engine management and a turbo like a big 16g plus injectors, pump, etc. and care with cooling are needed.
    SD,
    The STi used in that test was a 2.0l with 265 hp. I don't think it would perform the same as a USDM STi. Therefore the M3's 333hp in that test >>>> STi's 265 hp.

    I found this Motor Trend article where they road tested an M3, here are the results...which look suprisingly equivalent to a USDM STi's performance specs.

    http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...ecs_price.html

    Their performance stats and capabilities are very close to the STi and Evo's...at least on paper. If all that is accurate, I really don't see an M3 walking an STi until about 80 or 90 mph, where the STi lacks somewhat.
    Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.
    -Albert Einstein

    Some people go through their whole lives wondering if they ever made a difference in the world. Marines don't have that problem.
    -Ronald Reagan

  13. #27
    He simply abides. SD_GR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    CA, US
    Posts
    22,472
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by mike05STi
    SD,
    The STi used in that test was a 2.0l with 265 hp. I don't think it would perform the same as a USDM STi. Therefore the M3's 333hp in that test >>>> STi's 265 hp.
    Yes. The Impreza used in the test would have the STi chassis, brakes,and suspension with a 2.0L motor running Euro-super 100+ (like all the other cars in the test). I'd estimate this car would have equivalent power to a moderately modded US 2.0L WRX (non-STi) but with much better dynamics.

    I really don't see an M3 walking an STi until about 80 or 90 mph, where the STi lacks somewhat.
    I can't help but wonder what car I'd be faster in, know what I mean? I think the Impreza would be easier to go briskly in for the average person, but I don't know. It'd be interesting (and fun...) to find out, eh?
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

  14. #28
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Sterling Heights
    Posts
    59
    I test drove M3 before I got '06 STi. I got STi because it was pretty close to M3's performance but at half the price. But the fact is that M3 was still faster. STi's torque just starts to drop after around 6K RPM. M3 was truckin all the way up to 8K RPM. STi of course has the turbo lag. M3 was so responsive to throttle it almost felt like the car went before I push the throttle. It's definitely a nice car not just from luxury standpoint but also performance. But it wasn't worth 2 STi's.

    '06 STi stage 2 should beat it.

  15. #29
    Registered User 02nighthawksi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Tampa, Fl
    Posts
    918
    Quote Originally Posted by 305wrxPIMP
    and listen the m3 even with mods like : exhaust, headers , intake and racing chips or things like those, those cars don't make power until u put a supercharged or turbocharged on it, but M3 are beautiful cars but too expensive
    Negative... E46's with as little as bolt ons and a Dinan tune can hit low 13's high 12's
    06 Protuned Stg2 WRB WRX
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #123

  16. #30
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    Posts
    202
    Quote Originally Posted by 02nighthawksi
    Negative... E46's with as little as bolt ons and a Dinan tune can hit low 13's high 12's
    Thats it? So yeah, needs forced induction to actually move...
    2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX
    Works Drop in Filter, TTP Engineering 3" Downpipe, 3" Ultimate Racing Test Pipe, GReddy Evo2 exhaust, Walbro 255lph Fuel Pump, Forge UNOS MBC @ 22-23lbs, Fighters Garage LICP, Custom Dynoflash, S2000 Antenna, Stewart Warner Boost Gauge

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •